Space Above Cabinets
Daphne M
We are a few weeks away from closing on our new house and are trying to figure out what to do to decorate between the top of the kitchen cabinets and the ceiling. Any ideas are appreciated. I do not like fake plants though, so we will avoid those. We prefer very clean, modern designs.
Judiwithani
You like a clean look, would leave it as is. Personally, I think some under counter lighting and subtle lights above would help. Beautiful kitchen and large, but not getting a lot of natural light with the one window, just a thought.
November 23, 2013 at 2:11pm     
Michael Lee, Inc
Don't put anything on top of your cabinetry! Use lighting above the under the upper cabinets to brighten up the room and give drama in the room. looks clean and I would keep it looking like that
November 23, 2013 at 2:14pm     
cecnolan
I think it may look nice to have some modern, clean, white pottery (similar to your pendant lights) on top of the cabinets. Simple, not distracting but brightens the space.
November 23, 2013 at 2:17pm   
armipeg
Leave it as is. Like the light ideas of Judiwithani and Michael Lee, Inc.
November 24, 2013 at 9:10pm     
Hammonds Paints Ballarat
The moment you put something on top of those high cabinets, it will just collect dust and need to be cleaned often because it will get filthy. Im in agreeance with Judiwithani and Michael Lee Inc. Clean is so much better than clutered.

Plus you have to think practical as well. Less to clean means less time cleaning!
November 24, 2013 at 9:35pm     
The Wiese Company
Leave it open :) Gives it a nice, clean & modern look!
November 25, 2013 at 5:30am     
tennisanyone
Put nothing on top if you like clean and modern.
November 25, 2013 at 5:45am     
PirateFoxy
If you absolutely MUST put something up there (which I kind of agree just means more work cleaning and dusting) then if you like art glass it could be a nice display area if you add some lighting to make the glass glow.

Don't think it's particularly necessary, though - I think right now it just looks a bit like an empty space waiting for something to fill it because there's nothing lower to catch your attention like furniture or any color on the counter tops (things you might normally have out in a kitchen - small appliances, bowl of fruit, those kinds of things.)
November 25, 2013 at 9:04am   
Luciana
I have a red cow on top of mine...
November 25, 2013 at 9:14am     
In Style Modern
What luciana did with hers is a good idea. There's something that serves as an interest piece but it's still minimalist. Nice job! Also your kitchen is beautiful :)
December 1, 2013 at 7:57pm     
hayleydaniels
Do you want to put something up there? If so, you might use it to display things you collect. I put my can collection up there to add warmth and funkiness to the room. I will warm you that if you don't get up there every month and dust, you're going to end up with a layer of grime that's tough to remove.
December 1, 2013 at 8:08pm   
PirateFoxy
@haleydaniels - Once on moving into a house (rental) I found a tray of what had once been fresh snap peas up there on top of the cabinets. The mind boggles.

@Luciana - I love that. It's totally in keeping with the space, but also interesting and fun when you spot it. :)
December 1, 2013 at 8:41pm     
sieglerdesign
Light....I'd have light up there....I have about 3 ideas I'd work through if my kitchen. Might introduce a modern art element too but, depends how lighting works out. Will post if my concept has legs.
December 1, 2013 at 8:49pm   
Any ideas for wall space above cabinets?
Hi everyone! Any ideas for wall space above the cabinets?...
Space above cabinets, they bug me what do I do with them.
I need some advice, add cabinets, fill in with drywall,...
Ideas for space above kitchen cabinets
I have std size kitchen cabinets and 10' ceiling. Any...
Space above cabinets in kitchen.
Any ideas on what to do with the space between the...
Appearance and ease of entry
The main entry to our house is up the step to the right...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Copper sink... yes or no?
Thinking about getting a copper farmhouse sink. Do...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...