Entrance/Dining Room Design Dilemma
jmlop3
Hi Everyone, my husband and I are confused about what to do with the entrance/dining room area of our [soon to be built] house. As you can see, there will be a short dividing "wall." Should I play up the divider and make it into seating area by adding cushions? Ignore it and put a credenza on the dining side? I'm stumped! Please help! Our style is tradition/transitional. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
kristylou
It's almost like it's meant to have bench seating there but is it high enough to lean back ocmfortably... curious to see what others weigh in and say.
November 23, 2013 at 7:25PM      Thanked by jmlop3
jmlop3
That's what I'm thinking. My husband and I sat on it and there is plenty of room for seating, but it just seems a little odd to me. I'm afraid if I add cushions it will look extremely random. Thanks for weighing in!
November 23, 2013 at 7:35PM   
dkhuff1
I'd use it like a display area. Put a pretty vase, a tray with glasses on it and maybe 3 pillar candles of differing heights.
November 23, 2013 at 7:44PM      Thanked by jmlop3
andj32
First thing I thought of was a wet bar, but it appears too short for that.
November 23, 2013 at 8:45PM      Thanked by jmlop3
Affordable Quality Lighting
I see it as more of a bench seating area to take off your shoes and shrug off your coat when you first come into the house. It's difficult to tell, but is there room for shoe storage or an antique coat rack? These minor accents could help make your house feel more like a home.
November 23, 2013 at 8:49PM      Thanked by jmlop3
Wyland Interior Design Center
There area several ideas that I can think of.

1). Add a panel wall divider above the wall with either Lumicor or 3Form resin panels.
2). Make the wall taller so it looks more like a half wall, around 36" high.
3). Add two columns, one on the end and one where the wall angles. Add glass shelves to display decorative art glass items.
4). What if you take out the shorter wall areas and add custom cabinets that would cover over the same footprint (no floor repair). Make it taller at 36” high, add glass doors on both sides with a light inside cabinet for displaying items. Or add solid door each side to hide and store shoes, umbrellas, hats, purse, etc. If you add a drawer to the cabinet you could store mail and keys.
November 23, 2013 at 9:21PM        Thanked by jmlop3
Debp
How about eliminating the little slanted part altogether and then make the remaining lower part and the small wall to the ceiling a half wall instead? You would have room for a bench on the entry side and a buffet on the dining side.
November 24, 2013 at 10:09AM        Thanked by jmlop3
Totally agree with Debp. It's going to be a constant source of frustration because you can't put any furniture on either side. Your first change order. Ought to add about $1.25.
November 24, 2013 at 11:53AM        Thanked by jmlop3
vjs12
I like Debp's idea of having a half wall or remove the wall entirely and have an open space.
November 24, 2013 at 12:11PM        Thanked by jmlop3
nechamaj
If you want a quick fix, no removing walls, maybe you can fill the space with artistic iron work or similar..
November 24, 2013 at 12:52PM        Thanked by jmlop3
Wyland Interior Design Center
Removing the walls, you will need to make sure you can still get the original tile to repair the floor. Otherwise, it may amount to a big expense if you need to place the whole floor but it would look nice to open it.
November 24, 2013 at 1:01PM        Thanked by jmlop3
Debp
I believe this is a show home. Their's is yet to be built I think.
November 24, 2013 at 7:11PM      Thanked by jmlop3
Judiwithani
Would redesign the wall - leave out the short wall entirely.
November 24, 2013 at 7:16PM        Thanked by jmlop3
Affordable Quality Lighting
I'm loving the panel wall divider @WylandInteriorDesignCenter is suggesting. Brings a modern touch to what appears to be a more traditional layout.
November 27, 2013 at 7:35AM      Thanked by jmlop3
yoboseiyo
either the divider suggested, or the cabinets would be cool.
November 27, 2013 at 8:43AM      Thanked by jmlop3
KShoa
If it hasn't been built yet, I would ask the builders not to put it in. I think the idea is to have a semblance of a foyer there. But frankly, some of these builders don't think about functionality as much as they should. The divider might look nice but may close off the area by the door and make it too dark. Shelves have the potential to add clutter. If you have nothing to put in shelves, don't make the shelves.

Have fun decorating!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa
November 27, 2013 at 10:07AM        Thanked by jmlop3
jmlop3
Thank you all for your suggestions! I have so many options to consider now! I'm really loving the idea of putting up some type of wall divider or actually making it into a half wall. I personally like that the space is divided. Not having some type of entry reminds me of my apartment/condo living days. A friend and I were discussing the space over Thanksgiving and she suggested putting up a thin wall behind it and using the space as a nice mudroom area. What do you all think? Thanks again for all of you suggestions!
December 1, 2013 at 1:34PM     
vjs12
Seems like it would be to crowded to make it a mudroom. I would not have the wall built.
December 1, 2013 at 7:34PM   
rudracus
Yet another idea may be to put a small portable fireplace immediately on the section built up and add a frosted glass wall above it. Of course if this house is in a warm region you could add just a slim frosted glass panel for the entire height of the open space topped off with recessed lights, suspect that will add a diffused elegance
December 1, 2013 at 7:39PM   
I'd ditch the entire ledge in favor of an entire wall, without the bend. That will give you space for a hutch, hunt table or china. Be sure to upgrade the lighting in both areas for your build. These are just a bit to "builder's special!"
December 1, 2013 at 7:46PM   
maggiemaxwell
It doesn't look like there's a closet at the entryway. You might ditch the short wall and use the space taken by this odd-angled wall for a closet. I wouldn't put anything decorative on this ledge. It's a narrow space and with people coming in, putting coats on, crowding in, whatever's there will invariably be knocked over. An odd design, to be sure.
December 1, 2013 at 8:02PM   
Affordable Quality Lighting
@jmlop3, I think I'd still go with an artistic wall divider instead of building out the wall. A soft wall will help the entrance feel larger than it is.

Depending on the type of soft wall divider you select you may want to update your brass pendant light and chandelier to a fresher look. What is your personal style and the color of the furniture in that room, more traditional or modern?
December 3, 2013 at 8:42AM   
Small dining room design dilemma
We came from a larger space. I love my dining room...
living / dining room combo design dilemma
can any one suggest which is the best idea among the...
entrance way and front room dilemma
I am hoping you can help me with some ideas! I have...
What do you guys think about this furniture arrangement?
I always wanted to add two spaces one for us to watch...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
Flagstone patio
We have a flagstone patio. It has crushed granite...
Designing Exterior or Seafood Market- Help Please!
Hi, my husband and I just purchased a seafood market...
Replacing pedestal sink with vanity in powder room
The plumbing for the pedestal is 12 inches from the...