I inherited my grandmother's sofa with old fashioned colors.
ellenmadaline
I love the colors and the design. My husband loves the high back chairs. He's 6 feet 4. Are they the right colors? Should I recover or buy new ones? In blue or in a cinnamon color? Is the couch in the right place? I also have a beautiful oriental rug but removed it because the reds made my grandmother's couch look very busy. I also wonder if the sofa is in the right place.
It sounds as if you first issue is fabric. Would you take a close up of the chair fabric and the sofa fabric and the Oriental?

From what I see now I would be redoing the sofa and not the chairs and making the rug work.
November 24, 2013 at 9:23am      Thanked by ellenmadaline
HERE Design and Architecture
Personally, I think a new rug may be in order - the room seems to need one. There are good quality oriental rugs available in your existing palette. I think the sofa location is all right. You might consider trying it facing the fireplace with the desk behind, but sizes will determine whether that works or not. I don't love the blue wall by the stair. Everything else in the room seems to be dancing around that cream color. Maybe consider a wall covering there if you want some attention on that wall?
November 24, 2013 at 9:27am        Thanked by ellenmadaline
diyher
definitely keep it and have it reupholstered if you don't like the material. Couches these days are cheap and don't last as long as our Grandparents and Parents. 5 years and something you spent $1,000 already looks older as far as wear and tear than my Mom's 20 year couch when she was still living.
November 24, 2013 at 9:30am   
qoais
Would you be interested in creating two conversation areas in this room? Perhaps you could put the two arm chairs by the fireplace, facing the room as the big one is doing now. Then leave a walkway, and turn the couch so the back is facing the fireplace, and create another conversation area with the couch and rocking chair and console in the near end of the room. Don't know if the room is large enough for this but it looks like it is. If you did this, then you could leave the couch the way it is. It's a lovely design. I will look for some inspirational pictures.
November 24, 2013 at 9:34am        Thanked by ellenmadaline
jdingles
If you recover the couch, save some of the fabric. That way you can make vintage pillows and have a keepsake :)
November 24, 2013 at 10:29am        Thanked by ellenmadaline
apple_pie_order
Can you post a photo of the Oriental rug after putting it back?
November 24, 2013 at 11:12am      Thanked by ellenmadaline
ce55
I like HERE ideas; will the sofa fit facing the fireplace? If the sofa works facing the fireplace with the console table behind it place a chair (or the little needlepoint stool) next to the console/sofa table. This will give you and entrance table for keys etc and a place to sit to change footwear.

I think a beautiful Oriental rug would be a better design inspiration than the sofa fabric ; )
November 24, 2013 at 12:17pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
nechamaj
Can you slipcover the wing back chair with white fabric to lighten up the room?
November 24, 2013 at 1:45pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
mariaed
Lovely room! Makes me want to curl up there.

My suggestions are remove the lamp from the middle of the table that backs onto the bay window and update / change the throw pillows for ones of a different colour particularly the triangle one on the sofa. It does seem like a room that calls for a rug, if you want one.

The pics are fairly dim so it's hard to ascertain the current colour of high back chairs. They seem okay. If they are getting tired then maybe consider a calm blue for the chair currently with the big wide stripes.
November 24, 2013 at 2:21pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
ellenmadaline
The sofa does look smart facing the fireplace. I used to have it that way with the oak console table behind it. I love the idea about moving the little needlepoint stool. My husband had it re-pinned a few years ago and unfortunately, it has popped a few stitches at the top. I need to find a place that can relax the stretched fabric and repair the needlepoint. I have a really busy new exec job and haven't had time on how to find someone in or town to do this. I moved the sofa back to the wall because I thought that it felt more open and welcoming that way with the front door right there. Now you've all got me thinking. The chair with the white stripes is definitely a candidate for reupholstery. What color? The other chair has a dark green background with pretty gold traingles. that second one seems to match. I will send more photos. I just took a few random shoots not knowing that Id get some true experts. I'll send some more. o, yea, why take the lamp off the table near the window?
November 24, 2013 at 2:43pm   
fos5
Love the sofa would upholseter in a solid cotton velvet in a medium tone color. Hard to say what hue as seeing a lot of them in the room. Lamps, yes, the one on the table, is one of three different ones I can see in the room. Appears no table or floor lamp next to stripe wing chair and dark green chair, how do you see to read or illuminate these spaces. See a green glass shade in one area, is that a desk area? Table lamp looks out of place. Lamps don't have to be the same but should relate to decor and scale.
November 24, 2013 at 3:10pm      Thanked by ellenmadaline
rinqreation
You do have a lot of different chairs, it would be nice to make them match together better and have them reupholstered in similar fabrics (same color and texture, but some solid, others patterned).
November 24, 2013 at 3:23pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
chookchook2
I like the sofa as it is. Plus it has all the memories of grandma with it....................... Hi I'm an upholsterer. Chook chook has been gagged and has a bag over her head until I can make a slipcover for it, as heads are out of style. I think you should recover your sofa. Match a colour in your existing rug.
November 24, 2013 at 3:25pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
Agree with those who say upholster it. With your rug and the oak library table behind it at the FP it should be beautiful.
November 24, 2013 at 4:20pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
Daniel DeSantis Interiors
I would reupholster all. The couch is in the right place. Nice looking piece.
November 24, 2013 at 4:23pm   
edithsmom
I think the narrow table on the left of the sofa would be good under the niche. What is behind the wing chair? If it's another table, do you use it as an entry table? Also, I would remove the small table in front of the windows.
November 24, 2013 at 6:43pm      Thanked by ellenmadaline
m3459
I think I would spend my money on accessorizing with some modern touches, a new rug, new lamps. And what great furniture you have inherited. Nothing you could buy today would begin to touch it in quality. The upholstery as is is neutral in color and could come together quite nicely with some small touches.
November 24, 2013 at 9:07pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
cmcole1121
I'm not an expert but I like the sofa and wouldn't reupholster it. I think it is pretty and I love that it was your grandmothers. I would consider reupholstering the chairs and adding a rug to tie everything together.
November 24, 2013 at 9:16pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
zhaolei
一定要地毯
November 24, 2013 at 9:22pm   
cazzz45
i would use a throw rugs over the sofa until you really know what you want there.. rush into changing grandma's sofa too early may make you sad in time. have you thought of a round/oval rug on the floor picking up some of grannies sofa colour
November 24, 2013 at 9:46pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
ellenmadaline
I am intrigued by the comments to reupholster the chairs. Both these chairs come from other grandparents. The big great chair was from my father's mother's home on a farm in Wisconsin. The smaller striped chair was from my mother's grandfather's farm house. One is big like my father's family and the other small like my mother's family. I am small and my husband is big so it works but I do think the fabrics are off. I recovered both of them for other houses. I think it's time to get it all in sync. Where do i go to pick out fabrics? I have to go to work for part of today and then I'll send photos. I'm very excited to see how you all feel about the rug. Especially you, Ms or Mr HERE. Maybe theres a way to pull it all together with slipcovers. We don't read in this room. We eat in here. I know that sounds crazy. My husband had a rare form of brain cancer diagnosed in 2008 and he came home after a stem cell transplant nearly dead, In fact, docs thought he would die. I can tell you all the sanitizing things I did in our house to keep him and his immunity system alive. Do you known anyone else who has washed the floor boards from the underside in the basement with bleach and water? One "spiritual" thiings was to make a fire every night, make dinner (He only ate cereal and yogurt when he could eat) and then read him the big stories in the New York Times. Again, this sounds a bit crazy but he could hardly talk and for 8 months he had been in chemo and had lost touch with the world. Great news, it worked. He is now miraculously cancer free. And each night, he walks my plate to the small striped chair where I sit and he sits on the couch and puts his plate on the marble topped coffee table. It's all a bit awkward and it defies our pretty little dining room and our lovely kitchen dining area. But it's where he wants to sit. It's where he got well. He is still disabled and has constant migraines for which he takes lots of painkillers. So our house needs to be cozy and restful. as you can see, I've ignored decor for these five years and now it's time for new life all around. Did everyone see the little blue table to the right of the door as you come into the room. That's my deceased mothers decollage project. It is out of place but again, like grandmas's couch, it reminds me of her. Note that mother and daughter and grandmother like the use of blue. Oriental carpet has red background of course and blue highlights!
November 25, 2013 at 6:17am     
chookchook2
My first hubby had bone marrow disease and I learned about Eucalyptus disinfectant for no immune system. It kills both bacteria and viruses, apparently. Just in case you ever need it again. Strongly advise get hubby approval on all changes to this room, even if he is colour blind, like so many men. Still like your couch as is.
November 25, 2013 at 6:26am        Thanked by ellenmadaline
HERE Design and Architecture
Congratulations on all of that good news. We have a few survivors in our family as well (one clean PET scan just Friday) and that is so important. Interested to see your rug. Will be out almost all day until late tonight but might be able to check in from the road. I don't have a problem with any of your upholstery, BTW. And it's Ms. HERE. :)
November 25, 2013 at 7:04am        Thanked by ellenmadaline
ce55
How wonderful to have such a happy ending! Having gone through similar challenges without the happy ending…twice…and at very young ages… When my third husband had medical issues...fortunately he had a full recovery! And we both had a new lease on life.

When everything settled down we decided it was time to tackle our neglected home. We tore down walls and built new ones. We gave away those items that had no purpose and re-purposed others. Many of our cherished furniture pieces will be update to reflect our “new” life. As we came across long forgotten items we set them aside to be displayed on bookshelves (when the remodeling dust settles) or saved for children and grandchildren.

Since we’re doing an entire home it will take awhile but, the process has been healing. Your sofa and chairs have special meaning that won’t be altered by recovering them but, the new cohesive look in your special space will be a reminder of your new life. Enjoy the process it can be healing…
November 25, 2013 at 10:02am        Thanked by ellenmadaline
mariaed
Hi, Sorry to hear about the challenging times for you and your husband.
I suggested the lamp on the table be removed in front of bay window because I felt it was an obstruction smack dap in the middle of the view. It is also a bit unusual to have lamps alone not near a chair and in the middle of a table so it grabs the attention. I think there are more exciting things to direct the viewers attention to. (Lovely lamp, just suggest moving it elsewhere.)
November 25, 2013 at 4:16pm        Thanked by ellenmadaline
ellenmadaline
Here are some of the photos you asked for including the rugg. I don't remember it being this pretty.
November 28, 2013 at 8:58am   
ellenmadaline
More photos...
November 28, 2013 at 9:00am   
ellenmadaline
More from my iPhone. I need to find the camera!
November 28, 2013 at 9:12am   
ellenmadaline
More from phone...
November 28, 2013 at 9:14am   
ellenmadaline
Last photos...
November 28, 2013 at 9:19am   
ellenmadaline
We were talking about selling the hose so I removed al photos on the wall going up
The stairs. I had several groupings of very old and new family photos.
November 28, 2013 at 9:21am   
flowers64
The sofa should definitely be reupholstered and moved in front of the window. Try using a nice butter yellow fabric to cover the sofa and perhaps a light gray for the chairs.
November 28, 2013 at 9:47am      Thanked by ellenmadaline
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Where are your favourite places to inject colour into a home?
I've been wondering about colour lately. What my...
Bar Area?
We have this empty room and would love to have a "hanging...
How do you end chairrail to a noncased arched doorway?
We have an arched doorway (eyebrow arch) with no casing....
White ash woodfloor or brown plzzzz help!
Hi! We have a medium size apartment, having a hard...