Need help white or dark cabinets
pjoneslake
We just purchased a brick home and need to completely update it. Under very old carpeting are beautiful hardwood floors. In this post, I'm going to focus on the kitchen. It is about 11 x 12 with a U-shaped design that works well. There is a peninsula that holds an old white glass cooktop. The countertops are a white, slate-looking formica. The cabinets are very dark walnut. I will replace the vinyl tile with hardwood. I plan on removing some of the centers of the window-pane cabinet doors and replacing with glass. I had planned on painting the cabinets a cream with a little deeper cream on the walls. I will use the present white and some stainless until the appliances need to be replaced with stainless.
However I just saw an idea on Houzz. The kitchen had dark cabinets, stainless appliances and a gray marble/granite type counter. Formica is more in my budget. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to upload photo
pjoneslake
This is the link for the dark kitchen
I realize that my picture doesn't show enough but we have not had the closing yet

November 24, 2013 at 11:15AM   
pjoneslake

This is the white kitchen. We have a cottage which has a very similar white cottage.
November 24, 2013 at 11:18AM   
It all comes down to taste. And style. The dark is very nice and modern. The white could go either way. Pulls should be Long 4-5" brush nickel, on whatever you chose.
November 24, 2013 at 11:21AM   
pjoneslake
The house is brick and on the colonial side. We have a cottage with the white, glass front, hardwood floors and I LOVE it. I want to stay with the feel of this house. The cabinets are old but are a good quality in excellent condition. They are the older style with a soffit on top which I plan to add a crown molding to fool the eye a bit. I'm not crazy about the new granite counter tops, need something inexpension. I love butcher block but they are costly. I'll probably go with a formica type product. Any suggestions? My daughter said I'll never be happy with dark, maybe she's right.
November 24, 2013 at 11:34AM   
pjoneslake
There is vinyl type linoleum on the floors that is probably 40 years old. My contractor said he can remove and sand but there would be nail holes or he can lay new over the present floor and build a threshold to accommodate the difference in height. The kitchen is next to the dining room and foyer. Both have hardwood floors under carpeting that we plan to sand and restore.
November 24, 2013 at 11:38AM   
LEICHT New York / LEICHT Westchester
Hi pjoneslake,
Congrats on your new home! We'd love to have you join us for breakfast at our free class where we'll talk about everything kitchens: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/708606/Join-LEICHT-Westchester-for-our-free-class----

Aside from that the dark kitchen is a bold way to go. Here are some photos that might help inspire you on this new adventure:

Some white kitchens:
Leicht Westchester Showroom 1
Dutch Kitchens
2013 Collection

Warm wood effect, another option that wasn't mentioned:
Leicht Westchester Showroom 2
Leicht Westchester Showroom 3

You can contact us at any point if you have questions
All the best with your remodel!
November 24, 2013 at 12:49PM   
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...
Need help with landscape
Please help me with ideas on landscaping my house....
Colour of paint
Hi there I am from South Africa with an apartment...
Super small bed room
Super small space. excuse the mess. storage has been...