Need help with dining set and layout!
Becca Rak
I got this dining set for free, i really love that its real oak and very strong (i have 2 kids) I really want to reupholster the chairs, right now its a navy blue corduroy material and a french birch wood stain. I also have a buffet same stain. I would like to keep the rug under it and utilize some of the blues and oranges in it. I would love advice on the fabric and stain/painting the wood?

Also - I have navy blue leather sofas, 2 - 2 seaters and 1 seater. I dont know how to use the layout efficeintly with the tv! Please ignore the basinet and swing and blanket I had a baby 6 weeks ago and I have a 17 month old hooligan.

I'd love advice on a layout and how I can repurpose the furniture. I also would like to paint my walls and change my curtains. Thanks!!
leelee
Rug looks a bit small. Chair legs should remain on the rug when pulled out for entering or exiting the table.
November 25, 2013 at 9:26am      Thanked by Becca Rak
leelee
When you recover the chairs think of a different pattern/color for the back panel on the back of the chair. This is a horrible example of fabrics but you can choose something way more tasteful.
November 25, 2013 at 9:35am     
yvonnecmartin
The table looks as if it might be Haywood-Wakefield. If so, you would destroy it's "antique" value if you restained or painted. Such furniture isn't really valuable, but it is a collector piece. I suggest that you do the reupholstery and leave the wood as it is.
November 25, 2013 at 9:56am      Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
thanks yvonnecmartin. I do like the stain of the wood, but i have no idea what to do with the fabric if i leave this stain, do you have an suggestrions? should i paint the chairs or leave them as is and just change the seats. I have 8 chairs in total and the table is extentable
November 25, 2013 at 10:01am   
mfwolfe
Is this your primary eating area? If so I would leave the fabric for a few years until the young ones grow out of the really messy stage. It seems to go with the rest of that area pretty well. Also I have never understood why people feel it is necessary to put a rug under a dining room table. Makes the chairs hard to pull out and it almost always is stained.
November 25, 2013 at 10:06am        Thanked by Becca Rak
mfwolfe
My feeling about the living area is that there is too much furniture for the space. Try taking something out. Also there was a discussion on houzz about a year ago and the designers agreed that the rug rules are "out the window" at the moment. That said, the rug doesn't work with the room for some reason. Take it out when you remove one sofa and see what you've got and go from there.
November 25, 2013 at 10:10am      Thanked by Becca Rak
leelee
Take a picture of your painting, the rug and the chairs and go to a fabric store. It seems that the hardest part will be choosing something that works with the rug. Maybe a combo like this with the damask on the backs.
November 25, 2013 at 10:15am        Thanked by Becca Rak
leelee
Also, be aware of the color of the wood when choosing fabric.
November 25, 2013 at 10:16am      Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
thanks everyone! imso pleased with this site already!!!! mfwolfe - why doesnt the area rug under my couches work? The black metal thing inbetween the 2 tall cabinets will be removed (tv used to go there) and i will put the 2 tall cabinets side by side. Should I remove the single seater chair?
November 25, 2013 at 10:19am   
I agree to remove the area rug under the dining table and leave the dining set alone for a while. I'd remove the one of the sofas (the one blocking the dining space). You could replace with a non-leather chair/ottoman in a nice fabric.
November 25, 2013 at 10:22am      Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
thats a great Idea, i can put one of the 2 seaters in the office. all we have there is a desk, chair, bookcase and computer. should i keep the single seater and get a slipcover and get some decrotaive pillows and a throw? the leather makes the room a bit colder. wow love these suggestions! i will take notes and go to the hardware store with my 2 babies and pull all nighters onthe weekend and takes pictures
November 25, 2013 at 10:29am   
Amy Cali
First off, congrats on the new baby! Sorry about the thug haha I have a 3yr old that certainly gives me a run for my money. Now for the dining set. I'd stain the table dark. I'd paint the chairs a high gloss lime green. I'd use a navy blue damask for the seat and solid navy for the backs. I'd consider adding an accent color to the wall behind the buffet.

Leelee is right about the rug. The uneven surface so near the chairs will cause issues, especially with the kiddos. The chairs could fall over plus it will just become annoying to deal with on a daily basis.
November 25, 2013 at 10:38am        Thanked by Becca Rak
Théa Morash
Chiming in here to agree that the rug under the table is too wee. I would suggest either replacing it with a larger one or removing it altogehter. mfwolfe's comment about the impracticality of the rug is spot on, especially with two kids in the mix! I love leelee's idea of having a different fabric on the back of the chairs. The damask on the back would be fabulous.
November 25, 2013 at 10:42am        Thanked by Becca Rak
Rug color good but too small for round table. With small children might want to go no rug. What are floors? No rug over rug in any case. Arrange furn towards TV in a L shape. With a round coffee table or ottoman. Panels on ends of windows only. A dove gray wall color would work with color in furn. Panels should be 2 shades darker than walls. Add white and gray pots to buffet. On end only
November 25, 2013 at 10:54am      Thanked by Becca Rak
I see you have wood floors. Just go with that, under table. In the future , don Ot buy all matching furn. Mix with fabric prints and leather sofa. Neutral colors are best for big pieces. Try orange, as a accent color.
November 25, 2013 at 10:57am        Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
wow thanks everyone! amy cali - do you think my space would work for something so bold? would it go with my navy couches? what should i do with the buffet? leave it as is? stain it darker as well?? I will remove the rug tonight with hubby - darn thing is so heavy. does the rug under the couches go or should i get another one?? that was a pricey rug :/
November 25, 2013 at 1:08pm   
Don't stain or paint your dining furniture. Both the table and the sideboard have a mid-mod feel. I think you should go with that. And the current upholstery seems to go well with your artwork (the little bit I can see) so leave it for now. Remove the dining room rug.
November 25, 2013 at 1:26pm        Thanked by Becca Rak
Can't see enough of your dining room to tell what lighting you have, but a Nelson bubble pendant would look good.
November 25, 2013 at 1:28pm        Thanked by Becca Rak
Question: why did you move the TV? Your original location seems better for the flow of the room.
November 25, 2013 at 1:36pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
Amy Cali
Becca, sure you are a young family. I think your space could reflect that with some bold choices. Truly the only "out on the limb" idea is the bright green. Navy and citron green look great together. Just use touches of the green in pillows and accessories in the living room to finish the look. I would keep the buffet natural and bring it into the mix by styling with a darker runner and touches of metal (antiqued gold or silver whichever you prefer). The natural wood buffet will work to tie in the pieces in your living room. I like the idea of a denim (not quite as dark as a true navy) grasscloth on your accent wall. That will be expensive so you could mimic the look with a faux painting technique. You could also go for a pear green if the citron is a bit much for you.
November 25, 2013 at 1:39pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
ce55
Please make sure the TV is securely fastened to the wall; Hooligans are notorious for pulling TVs down on themselves
Congratulation on the new baby!
I agree you have a young family and you need to decorate accordingly (including young bright colors)
Remove rugs and leave dining area with bare floors for easier clean up
Keep the dining set and server as is; it has a cool retro vibe and a retro light would up the cool factor
Remove one sofa to office
Use current single chair (I wouldn't replace until children are older)
Replace the LR rug with one that has navy in a more intricate pattern to hide more kid dirt
Pick up bright colors (orange, green?) from the rug to accent throughout (throws, pillows, artwork, etc)
If you go with a bold accent keep the walls neutral like beige grey or blue grey
Curtain colors will depend on the colors and rug you decide on.
I wouldn't use wallpaper (children can’t help peeling it off)
As for an accent wall you don’t have a wow wall for it, besides that look is overdone. (I’ll catch flak for that comment)
Remember hooligans do grow up; whatever you decide, you’ll be changing it in 10 years so, have a ton of fun decorating for your young family
November 25, 2013 at 2:53pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
I really love the idea of staining the wood table to a darker stain and using the chairs as a pop of colour - However I did only get this set a few days ago and hubby is saying not to stain because it was an expensive piece. I will change the seats and remove the rug underneath the dining set. I will get another rug and some accent pillows and change curtains. I am taking notes like a little school girl!!! I will post pictures after this weekend

Does anyone have any pictures of what I should be looking for? Regarding Curtains, rug, accent pillow? I would love to print them out and go shopping this weekend and get it all sorted out.

Thanks a lott!!!! xo
November 25, 2013 at 3:22pm   
Sustainable Dwellings
I like Leelee's idea of re-covering the chairs in a bright happy pattern. Otherwise, the set looks like a hotel lobby.
November 25, 2013 at 3:28pm        Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca, don't be in too much of a hurry. That's how mistakes get made. Take your time and look for the pieces that are just right. Designing a space is a process that takes time and patience, and half the fun is lingering over the process and searching for the perfect piece.
November 25, 2013 at 5:42pm        Thanked by Becca Rak
Spoonflower has lots of midcentury modern fabric designs. Might be worth a look: http://www.spoonflower.com/tags/mid%20mod
November 25, 2013 at 5:48pm        Thanked by Becca Rak
mfwolfe
My problem with the rug in the living room is that the design seems to need some space around it rather than surrounded by furniture. I see it in on a bigger floor. Your enthusiasm is contagious. Happy decorating.
November 25, 2013 at 9:01pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
apple_pie_order
Calico Corners in some places offers a laminating service for fabric. It would be a good option for dining room chairs for young families. There are also vinyl seat covers you just tie on. http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Vinyl-Chair-Protectors-Chairs/dp/B000KDSQWQ
November 25, 2013 at 9:44pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
getting a new rug for tv area. which is best?
November 27, 2013 at 11:56am   
Becca Rak
or
November 27, 2013 at 11:57am   
That depends on what furniture you're keeping in the living room, how you will arrange it, and what you've decided to do with the dining chairs.
November 27, 2013 at 6:33pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
Amy Cali
becca, how's the decision making process going?
December 5, 2013 at 10:03am      Thanked by Becca Rak
Paris Flea
This is your opportunity to do something fantastic! you are working with good "bones". The reason the rug wont work is simply because it causes the room to appear smaller . You can either remove the rug or purchase a larger one .You may want to consider doing a solid color rug with some texture. Find a GREAT fabric that can pull the colors from both rooms in and drop in a magnificant chandelier! BOOM,your done! Really looking forward to seeing the finished project! please post pics! Paris
December 5, 2013 at 10:38am      Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
Hi everyone! sorry i have been so busy with the babies!! I didnt buy anything, I took groveraxle's advice in doing things slowly and effieciently. So i did some window shopping to get some inspiration and realized that i dont want to buy any more furniture! my condo is full of it! I have re-arranged the layout (again) DH almost flipped when i told him we need to do this again. Here are some pictures. So here are my questions:

1.) What colour to paint the tv stand thingy? I want to add hardware to the piece, something contrasting to the paint
2.) what should i put on either side of the t.v? should i put something there? looks very bland
3.) What rug i posted above with go properally?
4.) get rid of the bench we are using now as a coffee table or keep it?
5.) curtain ideas?!?!
And LASTLY -6.) Should i do something with the dining set? its a bit of an eye sore right now :P paint? stain? slipcover for chairs?
December 7, 2013 at 10:49am   
Let me give you my quick opinions (where I can) and then see what improvements I can make.

The TV stand thingy (and the dining set and the china closet behind--which looks surprisingly like four Billy bookcases) do not need paint or hardware or stain. They are totally midcentury modern and I'd like to convince you to embrace them as they are. We can do something with the chairs, but the wood itself is fab the way it is.

Your TV stand thingy is actually a bit too short for the wall and your TV. But we'll work with it. No art around the TV and, in fact, take the shelf above it down. A tall plant on the left might do.

That framed art looks fabulous with your sofas and chair, but the furniture is way too cramped. You may have to lose one of those pieces. The bench looks like a bench and it needs to go eventually, but not until a suitable furniture arrangement is found.

Wait on the curtains till you figure out what you're going to do with the dining chairs. I will do a little Photoshopping here and return in a bit. (Could be a long bit.)
December 7, 2013 at 1:19pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca, what's behind the sofa that faces the TV? That space between the dining room and the living room?
December 7, 2013 at 1:41pm      Thanked by Becca Rak
Dining room: square rug with a mid mod vibe, chairs in chocolate to match, Nelson pendant.
TV wall: offset the console, balance the space with a vintage mid mod lamp.
December 7, 2013 at 2:48pm        Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca Rak
hi groveraxle! i loved all your advice, i still want to stain/paint the buffet/tv stand. I found a few pictures that are buffet tables made into tv stands. which do you think works?
December 12, 2013 at 6:49am   
saratogaswizzlestick
I agree with Groveraxel, you have soon beautiful mid century modern pieces, please don't paint them. With kids too you will find that stain is much more forgiving than paint which will show every ding.
December 12, 2013 at 7:29am        Thanked by Becca Rak
Becca, the buffets you show are more traditional and so a distressed finish works to make them look cottage style. You will not get that effect on a distressed mid-mod buffet. If that's really the direction you want to go, I suggest you store the buffet you have (maybe it could be a dresser in the bedroom) and scour Craig's List for another that you can distress to your heart's content.

I'm suggesting storage or repurposing because someday, in another house, you may discover you want to go midcentury modern and you have the dining room ready made. And if your style changes, you could probably sell the whole set for at least as much as you paid for it (if you haven't altered them, that is).
December 12, 2013 at 10:28am   
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
Need Help Picking a Kitche/Dining Table Set
Hello again! Looking for recommendations on dining...
Need help with my dining set (table and chairs)
I have this dining set in honey color that I am getting...
Need Help Selecting Dining Room Set
I recently purchased my first home ever and I'm having...
Need help deciding on dining room set!
Hello! We just bought a house and want to buy a dining...
Need help choosing grout for backsplash.
I have decided on white glass backsplash, the random...
Weirdo kitchen layout - how do I open this up?
Hi there! I have yet another question - this one...
Help! Color needed in my beige living room!
My husband and I just moved from a small apartment...
living room
The room is our "living room" although we really don't...
basement flooring?
Looking for recommendations on what flooring to put...