Please help me choose laminate colour ideas for kitchen, DR and LR
rturino
November 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are going to redo main floor to our 30 year old townhome. we have decided to go with laminate though my heart wishes we could do porcelain in kitchen (too labour intensive with 5 layers of vinyl on floor and taking out cabinets for height etc.. that's another story ...my wonderful husband is doing the job so cant argue there!

Ive looked at gray and white kitchen ideas on houzz, the gorgeous homes suggest nice warm hardwood...unfortunately not just any tone of hardwood will work for us since our counter tops are a dark gray (wilson art - deepstar slate) and walls are icon grey (dulux paints in canada)..our DR has walnut brown furniture and we have powder blue summer sofa (the brick) .im at a loss.

lastly we are thinking to use the same laminate throught LR DR and kitchen. thoughts?? i am also very open to changing colour of LR DR paint. need something new fresh and light - the light that comes in is not alot and i want something to offset dark furniture. so dont let the hardwood choice be limited bc of current wall colour in DR and LR...the step at the main entrance we're not sure on but we love the new porcelain with no grout required. entrance is tight, leads to garage and with winter we wanted a more durable flooring...for the tiny space i think $9/piece we can handle. only comes in a rich chestnut brown from lowes.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lin15
I think dark floors would look very nice with your gray counter tops. I would update your back splash however, it looks dated.
November 25, 2013 at 10:53PM      Thanked by rturino
alwaysdesigning
Just a comment that dark floors show every speck of dust and every dusty footprint. If that drives you crazy, then consider a lighter floor color. We have slate tile floors with plenty of color tones and pattern to hide footprints. I love my new floor.
November 25, 2013 at 11:38PM      Thanked by rturino
rturino
I think you are right. I was just talking to my husband about it - this is such a high traffic zone for us since the front entrance and hallway lead to the kitchen as you can see in the pics. I've decided to look for the grey tints or birch tone for laminate. The trouble is finding a laminate that will match DR/LR furniture (warm colours - walnut brown) and that will work with kitchen too (cool colours grays and whites)...when I have some samples I will post and get opinions if I can get a good pic of them. if anyone out there knows some great flooring that will work and the name that would be great.
November 26, 2013 at 5:53PM