Living room suggestions

timgliddenNovember 26, 2013
So our open living room just doesn't flow well... Just painted these cabinets beside fireplace... Should I use both on one side o create a separate living area from the dining area on the opposite side? Or flank each side of fireplace? Any suggestions would be great - especially for the large blank walls would be great...
Personally, if it were me, I would reverse roles in this space. I would put the trestle dining table in front of the fireplace and flank a wing chair at each end. Then I would created a beverage center with those cabinets and put wine rack over them.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 26, 2013 at 5:41AM
sandkshouse
A few random thoughts...

A few pictures of the other end of the room would be helpful.

Having one cabinet on each side of the fireplace doesn't work. The mass of the fireplace is so great, it overwhelms the cabinets.

I am normally a fan of putting TVs over the fireplace, but it looks awfully high and a bit precarious in this room.

How about grouping the cabinets together, moving them away from the fireplace, and mounting the TV above the cabinets to form a media center? The combination on the two cabinets and the TV will form one visual that may balance out the fireplace.
    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 26, 2013 at 5:54AM
timglidden
I also thought about moving the tv to the right side of the fireplace above the cabinets. The only problem with that is the L/R surround sound speakers are in the ceiling with the center channel separate sitting on the mantel. Moving the center channel to the side under the tv would put it to the right of the in ceiling left and right speakers.

I guess i could keep the center channel on the mantel?

The cabinets are meant to hide the electronics/ receiver as speaker wiring is coming out of the right side of fireplace....
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 7:07AM
timglidden
Here are some more pictures of the space..
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 7:36AM
Leslie Kreger
I would try moving the dining table under the hanging pendant lamp; move the 2 cabinets to the left side of the fireplace and mount the tv above them. (where your wine rack is now.) The couch could slide down and your matching arm chairs could be positioned so they would be closer to the fireplace (perpendicular to the couch and beside the dining tableā€¦.if that makes sense!)
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 7:56AM
timglidden
We tried that before... Felt like there was not quite enough space to fit both
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 8:19AM
timglidden
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 8:20AM
Put both cabinets to the right of the fireplace and put the TV on top. You can leave the center channel on the mantel and disguise it with an artful mantel display. Get a similar size sideboard for the dining area and place it under the wine rack to balance the wall.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 26, 2013 at 9:09AM
The cabinets look like kitchen counters to me and aren't doing anything for your space. If you need the storage they provide, try them under the art by the pendant. I would lengthen the chain and swag the pendant away from the wall so there is room for your dining table and chairs plus the two cabinets to serve as a buffet. Arrange the other pieces on the opposite side of the room. You may need to turn your rug the other direction, and you could place the sofa table under the art left of the FP.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 9:48AM
Beth Vu
I agree the cabinets look strange among all the other nice furniture you have. Your dining room table is gorgeous I i would put it under the light pendant and skirt everything else over to the left the sofa does not have to face directly in front of the fire place. you could angle the sofa . I do not think you need to place your furniture linear to the walls or to other pieces.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 10:09AM
slick88gt
The center channel needs to stay with the tv as that's where all the dialogue comes from. If it's to the side of the tv it sounds weird looking directly at the screen but hearing people speak off to the side. You can always adjust the volume level of the surround speakers individually from your receiver. What I would do however is keep the tv above the fireplace on a ComfortView mount. It's a motorized mount that lowers the tv in front of the fireplace and will then be at comfortable viewing height. You can raise it when you aren't watching or you want a fire. Center channel you can mount with the tv so it lowers with it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 26, 2013 at 10:35AM
leelee
The cabinets look like they escaped from the kitchen. The best solution is to use them as a console like Groveraxle has suggested with TV above . The TV over the FP looks wrong. The light fixture should move to the other side of the room with the dining table.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 26, 2013 at 10:48AM
leelee
Looks like the sofa could move closer to the FP with it's front feet on the rug.

Sofa should be centered with the fireplace--right now it looks like it's off to the left, is that right?
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 10:49AM
I am having trouble visualizing the space because we are missing the fourth wall. What is that table and chairs in the foreground, bottom right of your photos? Give us a photo from standing in front of the fireplace and looking the other way. That would help.
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 11:30AM
Is that the kitchen bar/counter?
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 2:53PM
North Star Stone
Have you considered adding built in shelving around the fireplace? It would provide balance in this part of the room and give you much more storage. If you aren't interested in built in shelving, then maybe would suggest either removing the mantel or changing it out with a slightly smaller mantel because the fireplace is larger and lowering the television slightly. Here's a fireplace that comes out a bit farther like what you have shown, but with the mantel removed and the television a bit lower, it works well for the room. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 3:17PM
timglidden
wow thanks for all the help!! i will get some better pictures....the kitchen opens into the living/dining area.....that is the kitchen counter you can see in one picture...
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 8:10PM
timglidden
I think the cabinets are going back in the basement to use as part of a bar.....as originally planned.

Back to the drawing board on media storage......i really need a cabinet that sits flush with the fireplace as i have speaker wires and hdmi cables fed thru.....
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 8:17PM
Brenda Sukowaty Riesterer
You have a beautiful space. I agree the cabinets should come out. I am struggling with a similar situation and I am wondering how you like your tv mounted above your fireplace. Does it work for you or is it too high?
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 8:28PM
timglidden
thanks Brenda - it needs some tweaking. Some things I wish we would have done different during the renovation....

Such as put the fireplace on the same wall as the artwork.....would making arrainging the space alot easier. there is not quite enough room for everything the way its set up now.

The TV looks worse in pictures above the fireplace- looking at it on here makes me really want to move it elsewhere. The in ceiling speakers in relation to the center channel placement basically eliminate that option.

If you have the option I wouldnt put the TV over the fireplace- i regret it.
    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 8:55PM
abbyjean
I really like the table under the light and it just seems to make sense there as it seems closer to the kitchen area. The black cabinets would also be perfect with the kitchen table and that part of the room. I cannot get a feel for the rest of the room with the couch and chairs, but wanted to throw in my two cents.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 10:00PM
timglidden
Do you think lowering the tv would help? What about having cabinets run the full length from fireplace to the othe wall....?
    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 7:33AM
timglidden
also if we put the tv to the right doesnt that throw off our furniture placement? should the entire "living room" area be all to the right of the fireplace? the couch would need to come over....and chairs relocated...
    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 7:36AM
timglidden
the real issue is the speaker wiring coming out of the right side of the fireplace....the cabinet is there to hide it. And i will put the reciever inside to hide it as well. I need to have a cabinet up agasint the fireplace to hide the wires that are coming out of it.

If that makes sense?
    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 7:39AM
Meghan
I would definitely have your table under that awesome light fixture! Could you try putting the cabinets with tv on the left side of the fireplace? This would give more room for the dining area when furniture is shifted over a little.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 30, 2013 at 8:21AM
timglidden
I might move the light fixture to the other side? ....the light fixture is almost too small im my opinion for the dining table- we almost need a second fixture to balance out.

the problem with moving the cabinets to the left is all the a/v components need to be on the right side of the fireplace as the speaker wires and hdmi cables all terminate on the right side of the fireplace.
    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:29AM
GARY FINLEY, ASID
do you need both cabinets for storage?

The room is serval different starting points. a lager rug would be a start to pull things together
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 30, 2013 at 8:37AM
I've reread this thread and looked at the photos again. It seems you had a pretty standard house and removed all the walls to create a great room with kitchen, dining, and living areas, and now it doesn't quite flow. I suggest the whole space needs to be rethought with consideration given to function, aesthetics, and what more work you are prepared to do.

My inclination would be to put the dining area closer to the kitchen where the pendant already exists, and to flip the whole living area to the left side of the room. Aside from the TV being too high, even if you lower it on the fireplace, I don't think you can achieve balance with it there. How difficult would it be to change the cables and the speakers?

And could you post a floor plan? That would help us get a better sense of the space.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 30, 2013 at 9:43AM
abbyjean
I just think you need to keep the table near the kitchen and the other eating areas in this part of the home. The cabinets would be where you need them to be and they would be functional storage for the eating/dining area, too. Try lowering the tv and see how it feels in the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 30, 2013 at 8:22PM
ems2409
I agree, the kitchen table needs to go back under the light fixture and it makes sense by the kitchen. Would you consider putting those two cabinets together for a buffet with one solid material for the top. Then if you are handy, only put the doors on the two outside cabinets and make some open type shelving in the middle, all painted black. That might make it look less like kitchen cabinets and more like a buffet. Then maybe you can find some type of black console for the left side of the fireplace and put the tv on it. You might not need the couch centered with the fireplace if you had the console on the left. I would also consider painting your mantle and beam with a black gel stain so you still see the grain??
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    November 30, 2013 at 9:04PM
timglidden
Here are some pictures and layout.... What if we put the dining table behind the couch and moved the couch closer to the fireplace?

Or what about a built in banquet against one of the walls with the dining table to give a few extra feet?

Now I'm really thinking about reusing the cabinets for the future basement bar...

Thank you all so much for your responses!!
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 9:17AM
timglidden
Here is the speaker/ hdmi/ cable wiring we need to hide coming out of the right side of the fireplace.

The tv really can't be moved to the left side of fireplace without major rewiring / cutting.. All the wiring runs into the fireplace.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 9:21AM
Nothing here is to scale since I can't read the dimensions on your plan, but just as a concept, how about something like this? The white area represents the dining space and I've shown the orientation of the table.

It gives you an odd lonely little conversation area at the upper left, and a huge entry space we'd have to work on, but you might try it and see how it feels.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    December 1, 2013 at 9:45AM
timglidden
the dining table it 96".....the french doors actually open out to give more living space (vs. the plans show opeing in.)

thanks so much...Great suggestion!!

i will post some more pictures of the french doors to the backyard and clear layout plans.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:10AM
timglidden
These pictures might help ...
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:19AM
timglidden
some new "backless" bar stools may it looks less "chair heavy" also help if we locate the table near the french doors/ kitchen bar?
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:35AM
Not getting where dining table is? Looks like it belongs where chandelier is? I would put cabinets across whole wall on both sides. Like the color. Place the 2 chairs by fireplace together facing new dining area. Do you have 2 more wing chairs? . If so use at dining table. As end chairs. Love the rug also. TV looks high, can you see it?
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:48AM
Put a big art work over cabinets 40x40 should work hang low. Use colors from rug. For accent colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:49AM
timglidden
the dining table was where the hanging chanelier is....we moved it now trying to figure the best space for it.....the pictures show different layouts...

We have one wingchair but can get another to use as a dining chair...
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:59AM
OK, timglidden, this is roughly to scale. You'll see I gave you a huge sectional, put your TV to the right of the fireplace, and two chairs in the corner for a little reading nook or private conversation area. I haven't included any tables; I figure a round coffee table for the sectional, end table for the love seat, table in the corner between the chairs. I'd probably stick a big plant in the corner to the right of the TV.

To put your dining table here will probably require moving the pendant lamp, but that's not terribly difficult. And backless stools at the counter for sure to help the dining area flow.

I haven't tackled the entry at all. It's bare, but a lot depends on how you use this space. Do you need storage for winter parkas and boots? A place to set your keys and mail when you come in the door? Perhaps all you want in an entry is a warm welcome home.

Anyway, see if any of this works for you.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:56PM
BTW, the piece labeled sideboard above is to hold your TV. It might not be long enough, but will give you the idea anyway.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:58PM
timglidden
I am going to try this layout and see if it works with our existing furniture...really don't want to buy a new sectional do you think our couch would work as well?

We were thinking this media console from rh in the 72" long version.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:00PM
abbyjean
Love the layout just posted.......willing to try and let us see what it looks like and take it from there?
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:03PM
It's funny, Tim, because I am the founder of the Just-Say-No-to-Sectionals Society. I'm likely to be drummed out for this. Try your existing sofa, but in looking at the plan, it seems you need a pretty big piece. You might get away with your sofa and an extra chair in place of the short leg there; make the chair low-backed so the chairs in the corner can be seen.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:30PM
halfpint2
Love the media console!! I like your couch also!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    December 1, 2013 at 4:49PM
sbrustein
I would add shelves above the cabinetry on either side of the fireplace, but not long parallel shelves. A more decorative arrangement . Sorry I had to freehand draw it since I am not sure how to attach photos using my ipad.m
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 5:00PM
timglidden
Here is first attempt.. (No love seat/ tv relocated/ media console)

Just trying to see if the spacing works... Seems to leave the entry way wide open now. Any suggestions for that we don't want it so clustered in one area and open in the other.....
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:19PM
timglidden
And a few more
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:20PM
Bonny Crawford
Picture the fireplace and the cabinets on either side as one area to decorate. Add shelves, rather sturdy, above each cabinet. Use large matching lamps, one on each cabinet and complimentary art work, baskets or vases above the shelves on either side of the fireplace. Add accessories to fill in shelves and tops of cabinets as needed. This will bring area together as though planned
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:55PM
tim, what do YOU think? I knew the entry would be an issue with this arrangement, but the rest seems to flow a bit better (from what I can see in the pictures). It looks like the space between the back of the sofa and the dining chairs will be pretty cramped, though.

Several issues are making this room not work. The TV placement, the fireplace dead center in the room: these make the living and dining areas encroach on each other. I see no easy fix.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:37AM
A little shift. Keep the TV over the fireplace and shift living area to the left. See if this gives more space to the dining area and makes the entry area seem less cavernous. We'll work on the empty spaces later. (You may have to keep the Christmas tree up year round to fill in that space to the right. LOL)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:51AM
timglidden
This layout works better.... Just curiout- Any thoughts on a loveseat ?(they dont make a matching version of our sofa). I agree there is no cut and dry layout....either way seems like we are a few feet short of ample space.

I wish we would have put the fireplace on another wall. We never lived in the house before the renovation so it was tough to imagine the layout.

So back to media/ cabinetry if we keep the tv on the fireplace and lower it. Any suggestions on if it should be built in or something like the RH industrial tool chest media...

(i agree the tree will just have to stay up lol)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:45AM
yoboseiyo
in grover's latest, leave the TV where it is, and have the cabinets/media consoles flank the FP.
on the right, get a parson's desk, and back it to the loveseat like it's a console table, with either a stool or a normal desk chair behind.

if you don't want to have a desk and chair, use a nice dresser as a console table behind the loveseat. it'll give places to put drinks, plus more storage that can be used for dining table stuff.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:04AM
timglidden

any suggestions on a particular love seat? i'm guessing something simalar to the sofa....

colors fabrics etc?
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:08AM
yoboseiyo
mmm. my first instinct is to get something boxy, like a Klippan from ikea, with a patterned cover. i'm not sure if that would be too much box-shape, though.
i mean, your lovely wingbacks are nice and swoopy, but i'm not sure if that's enough to counteract the boxy of both a sofa and a loveseat.
here's a klippan :: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49898143/

though, you could do kind of a softened box shape?
so a boxy body but with pillows on the back.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39877792/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50245057/
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89886001/

i think i like the idea of this one the best ::
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29902264/
or at one that has similar lines.

obviously, if you dislike ikea, or don't have one nearby, no worries. i was thinking more of the shape of the piece, rather than manufacturer.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:35AM
I like yobo's idea of some kind of console behind the loveseat. Now don't get too antsy about buying furniture before we get the whole room arranged. Let's make sure all the bases are covered first, particularly in the entry.

Try shifting the furniture to the left and let's see how much space that leaves. Then let's find a purpose and arrangement for the entry area; THEN you can buy furniture.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 7:00AM
Thinking out loud and continuing yobo's idea of a console behind the loveseat...perhaps the riddling rack can move to the right wall and that area can become a wine bar.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 7:05AM
timglidden
I like the first and the last love seats... I am not normally a huge fan of ikeas furniture but it might be worth looking at..
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 7:58AM
yoboseiyo
tim, i was linking those more for the shape of the piece, so if you don't care for ikea stuff, look for that general shape with manufacturers you DO like.

and i like grover's idea of moving the wine rack over and making that area on the right a wet bar. it'll help tie the dining room and living room together, especially for entertaining.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:05PM
timglidden
Thanks!! Great suggestion!
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:28PM
Salih Narman
Hello Tim,

Kilim Pillows in many ways may bring a different light into your home. I would personally suggest you these ones:

Modern Bohemian Home Decor Ideas · More Info

Handmade Turkish Kilim Pillow Cover Handmade Throw Pillow Handmade Turkish Pillo · More Info

Vintage Turkish Decorative Designer Pillow, Throw Pillow, Designer Pillow, Decor · More Info

Vintage Turkish Decorative Designer Pillow, Throw Pillow, Designer Pillow, Patch · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 1:14PM
timglidden
Mill Valley · More Info
]

Mill Valley · More Info
]

I'm curious the dimensions of this space.....exactly what we would like to acheive. And very similar to what we are working with space wise. The centered fireplace is really the only major difference.

The only problem after moving our dining table behind the living area is the flow outside thru the (outswing) french doors that we use daily. It also is a bit tight with the couch right in front.

We will keep tweaking and thanks again for all the help!!! very much appreciated! :)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:43PM
Meghan
The best solution would be to make the tv cables come out of the left side so the left side can be for tv and right side for dinning. Or look into having the awesome light fixture moved to the left side so your tv cables don't have to be moved to the other side.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:03PM
timglidden
the light can easily be moved....tv cables not so much....would require some demo of fireplace tile/drywall. I'm thinking the cabinets with the a/v equip. could double as a buffet for the dining area if we place it under the fixture.

Either way its not a perfect fit- just encouraging when i found the pic above of "MIll Valley"
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:54PM
timglidden
Moved some stuff around again today.... Getting closer- should i move tv to the right of fireplace or is this too off balance with everything shifted to the right ?
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 1:05PM
timglidden
Maybe something like this floating instead of the kithen cabinets and moving the tv to the right of the fireplace...
    Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 1:38PM
I know how difficult this room has been and I can't believe I'm even going to suggest this (plus it may not even be possible), but if you can get away without a media console, I think the room may better balance.

I have hung your TV on the wall to the right, moved your sofa table to the left of the fireplace, removed the dining room chandelier that was hanging in the living room, and removed all the cabinets. You might be able to put your video components elsewhere with an RF system.

The object is to create equal weights on left and right of the fireplace.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    February 2, 2014 at 5:23PM
usergray
Seeing pictures, I find your original setup the best, it just needed colour, weight and balance.
-TV of R/S does not look right.
-as TV, F'place are black....you have the right idea /w black cabinets on each side. Why it looked wrong was because of weight and colour.
-cabinets needed 'thick' wood tops matching the colour and thickness of your mantel and center beam (twice the cabinet width would also be better). Maybe rebuild lower and wider...?
-your first setup with chairs flanking f'place and couch centered in front of TV/F'place looked the best.
-Placing table of R/S worked practically /w kitchen and looks right.
-L/S wall between window needs something more...rolltop desk, heavy wood wardrobe, tall waterfall...something tall and heavy.
-F'place wall needs some strength also (what is that on L/S?)...multiple small pics plus, darker neutral colour paint?
- and of course a home is not a home without some green plants....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    February 2, 2014 at 8:23PM
timglidden
Here is a picture of the chairs moved back to the right side wall... I think I like the tv to the right to creat almost a separate room... The dining room to the right just seems to look off... I feel like a separate area is created when we put the tv to the right side..
    Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 9:42AM
timglidden
groveraxle I like your last layout and am really leaning towards moving the tv to the r/s.....

The only problem is I need a media cabinet as I have wires from surround sound terminating on the bottom right side of the fireplace. In hindsight I should have run all the wires to a media closet.

I'm thinking a low floating media center with the tv mounted above it....
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 6:15AM
rocketjcat
What is behind the fireplace wall or is closet nearby in your layout? We also have a fireplace mounted tv, and ran our cables through the wall into a hall closet, put all the equipment in there, and operate everything RF. Is there a room behind the fireplace that you can shoot the cables into? You would just have to camouflage the small area where they enter the wall. Just a thought.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 7:42AM
timglidden
I wish that was the case- but the fireplace wall is an exterior wall. This was a garage that we converted so its limited.
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 8:51AM
timglidden
im also thinking we need to paint the fireplace wall a darker grey.....?
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 8:55AM
Matt Christensen
The tv above the fireplace is way to high. The high mantel throws it off. I would suggest getting rid of the mantel and lowering the tv. Use floating shelves on both sides of the fireplace to tie in with the cabinets your using to hide your system. Maybe use one as a cocktail station. You have a great space and some great pieces already in place.
That's my 2 cents. I'm craving a cocktail now.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    February 4, 2014 at 9:15AM
timglidden
i think your right...but having a hard time removing a mantel that was just installed....i think we will live with it for a while and put the tv to the right and lower it..........

thanks for all the help everyeone!!!

color wise any suggestions the current wall color is SW useful gray ...Paints Stains And Glazes by Columbus Paint & Wall Coverings Sherwin-Williams
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:46AM
timglidden
Groveraxle what about shelf below the tv as you proposed to hold the media....any thoughts ?

the more i look at pictures...mantles and tv's dont belong. I either need to remove my mantle or remove the tv.

amazing how much you learn from browsing this site.

I also like matt's idea of the cocktail station!
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:50PM
A shelf would be ok; a cabinet would be better. I'd keep it as minimal as possible to reduce the visual weight on that side.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:32PM
jeff1185
Love the fireplace. What is the tile you used?
    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    February 4, 2014 at 2:42PM
timglidden
its interceramics sunwood centennial gray... I think it was only around $3 sq. ft

...
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:53PM
jeff1185
Thanks for the quick reply.
    Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 3:37PM
timglidden
as far as mounting the tv- is there a standard height...

maybe align the bottom of the tv halfway up the fireplace? Or should i line the top up with the top of the mantle?

im also thinking maybe I will use frames/ shelfs around the tv as well....?
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 9:46AM
Matt Christensen
I would say line the top of the tv with the mantel. Sit down where you normally sit and see how comfortable it is for you. Then sit where others may be sitting to see if that view works for them as well.
I like the idea of floating shelves.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    February 7, 2014 at 10:02AM
Tim, I think there is a standard height that's optimal for viewing and it's right around eye level when you're sitting down. Design constraints don't always make that possible, so I suggest you cut a piece of paper to the size of the TV (make it dark paper to get the full effect), tape it to the wall and stand back. Adjust it till you get the proper balance and hang the TV there.

No frames or shelves around the TV. That side of the room is already too "heavy." Save the frames and shelves for the left side of the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    February 7, 2014 at 10:05AM
timglidden
great advice....we may also take the wine rack down on the left side....? do some sort of a frame wall ?

im having touble finding a floating media cabinet like you photoshopped in. any suggestions? I may use industrial pipe shelving to hold the receiver for now (one reclaimed board and black industrial pipe as a bracket) Thoughts?
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 10:10AM
Mukwonago Remodeling
I would also change what's on the mantle. Something smaller profile in a linear configuration. Maybe a row of pillar candles or something like that. This will take your eyes more to the fireplace and less to the mantle itself. Also, I would remove and cap off the pendant light if you are not going to use the table underneath it. The cabinets on either side are a little off, stye-wise, with the rest of the room. If they aren't needed for storage, consider removing them. I like the minimalist look of the rest of the furniture pieces. Also I would add a grouping of wall hangings/photos to the right of the fireplace. The room needs visual height. The sofa doesn't have to be straight on with the fireplace either, it can be angled to make more room for the dining table. Hope that helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by timglidden    February 7, 2014 at 10:32AM
timglidden
I agree mukwonago!! I will be moving the tv to rightside of the fireplace to give some attention back to the fireplace and streamline things....... like grovers last picture above.

there is way too much going on right now and the cabinets have to go.....

pendent light is also moving back to over the dining table.
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 10:39AM
timglidden
awsome ! thanks indomom!

http://www.woodwaves.com/products/floating-tv-console-mayan-mocha i think i may use this color...
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 10:44AM
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 11:15AM
kmkane
That television is so imposing! Hanging down like that, up so high. Plus it being on the tall fireplace, with nothing on either side but those tiny cabinets, it focuses the eyes so much in the middle of the room.... But it sounds - and looks - like you designed the whole room for TV viewing. I think you need to re-think and re-wire. Do you really want a TV to dominate your living space? At least move it to one of the side walls as groveraxle suggested and create a living space focusing around that, with a dining space on the other side.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 11:31AM
timglidden
exactly what i'm doing kmkane......

thanks to sites like this and all the great suggestions !! cant thank everyone enough!
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 11:51AM
kmkane
sorry Tim, didn't see your last post. Glad your Houzzer friends helped. good luck and have fun!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 11:57AM
Cindy Sherman @ Sherman Kitchen & Bath Design
If you put them together, centered in your dining area (the room with the hanging light) along with your wall wine holder you could create a small wet bar type area. This would also create a better area to push that chair in the corner back a little. Your tv is so large and heavy along with your fireplace and ledge, I would recommend pulling back any large pieces of furniture.
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 12:00PM
timglidden
cindy i'm a bit confused....sorry this has been a long ongoing thread....

the hanging light is getting moved to the left side.....the diming table doesnt work very well on the right side of fireplace....

plus all my media wiring terminates on the right side so if i move the tv off the fireplace it has to go to the right side....

as of now i am going to move the tv to the right side of the fireplace and put a floating consolue under it....

what should i do with the left side wall?
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 12:10PM
timglidden
cindy-
or did you mean putting the wine rack on the right side next to the tv when i move it as well?
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 12:12PM
indomom
I like the wine rack on the left with the sofa table under. I think those two "heavy" items will help to balance the t.v. and the floating console.
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 2:44PM
tim, indomom has the right idea. Get the floating console that best balances with whatever you do on the dining side of the fireplace. I Photoshopped your sofa table there, but you might actually want a more substantial piece like a sideboard to balance the heavy TV. Whatever you put under the wine rack should echo the TV console.
    Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 4:19PM
Hi Tim, Any updates on your space? Would love to see how it's turning out!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 1:11PM
timglidden
No recent updates- still haven't moved the tv. To be honest we somewhat threw in the towel until we get some outdoor projects done. I might also just hire a designer to finish it off instead of throwing more money at the problem.

I did how ever just hang this fixture in the entry way tonight. :)
    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 8:42PM
Keeva Loyalty
Your wall is perfect for custom cabinets. Only thing is the window to the right. Love the fire place. Could even put in a little office built in/bar.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 9:36PM
timglidden
So we still have the tv mounted above the fireplace...
I am also contemplating moving it to the opposite wall on the right where the red/blk art work is....

Thoughts on opposite wall to the right vs. fireplace wall to the rightside
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:33PM
potchiemagoodleberry
consider flipping the dining table to set beneath that great pendant light and move the awesome wall wine rack to the dining side of the room, with both cabinets under it....to create a dining feel to that one side, then I'd consider remounting tv to the left side of the FP and adjust the LR seating accordingly. then hang a single, large, fabulous piece of art over the FP. you have great elements in here! it will be beautiful! keep us posted!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:40PM
timglidden
Here's a recent photo.... Tv should go where the red/blk painting is right? Or TV to the right of the fireplace .... ?
    Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 8:28PM
living room seating suggestions
we live on the 8 th floor of a high rise.my living...
sushmakaushik
New living room suggestions, please.
Im at a loss on how to arrange living room. I would...
tstone72
living room any suggestion please respond....
The photo captures the living area with two over size...
jairu
Living room suggestions
My parents living room seems too plain and outdated....
shortiecake
Living room suggestions....What to do with my living room!
I would love new couches, but not in the budget. Would...
cleanfreek
Front door...what color!
Hi. I want to paint the inside of my front door. We...
Kate
creating a small foyer/vestibule
my house is a late 1940, early 1950 ranch, much enlarged...
sacapuntaslapioz
I hate my kitchen. Please help.
I posted on here a while back for kitchen advice. I've...
gatsbygirl8
open concept entry and dining blank walls
I am seeking design advice for my large blank walls...
drfirman
Need need recommendations on splash material versus trim in tight spot
So I have decided to use subway tile as my back-splash...
oriddlero