Trying to work with existing curtains in guest room
sunnydrewNovember 27, 2013
The guest room is in black and cream with bright green walls. I am trying to use my Aubergine/Plum velvet duvet cover and shams for the winter (only). I found some great fabrics (shown just draped over pillows) to use for new shams to tie the color to the walls, but the curtains are no longer working. I need to LEAP to the black and cream. Any suggestions? I am only looking to make a quick change. Should I start over? I do not want to get new curtains.
handymam
I actually think it does work. Why do you think it doesn't? I would love to stay in that room!
19 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 5:41AM
despinach
It's a beautiful room and I believe too it does work, why do you worry so much??
13 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 6:00AM
sunnydrew
I think the bed will look great, I just wonder if it works with the black and cream curtains enough.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 6:29AM
yoboseiyo
i think it will.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 6:34AM
vjs12
The plum duvet cover is a solid. The curtains are a neutral print. Accents are the striped shams and floral pillow with black and gray in it. I think it all goes well together.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 6:45AM
handymam
Go for it sunnydrew!
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 6:49AM
sunnydrew
vsj12- the floral print is cream with sage-ish green, pinkish and the plum. No black or gray at all. the stripe is the same pinkish. That is why it seemed not quite connected yet. Thanks
    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 6:52AM
vjs12
okay; but I still think it goes well together. I think when the bedding and curtains don't match, the room is more interesting. But, since you are not comfortable with the look, I would get curtains in a sage green to blend with the walls. It is a very nice guest room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 7:11AM
vjs12
Wait a second; I just read you do not want to get new curtains. So the fabric you have draped over the pillows, I still think goes great with the curtains. Maybe have two pillow shams in the floral print and one pillow in the stripe OR both shams in the stripe and a solid black pillow? That way it will tie into the drapes, furniture and lamps.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 7:17AM
sunnydrew
Thanks again. The floral (remnant) pillow is already made now, the stripe fabric is also a remnant; enough for just 2 pillows. I am going to keep looking for something else that may work better with my curtains and there is also a black and cream chair. . I spent all of $40.00 including the 20" pillow form, so this is not a big expense. More like a challenge :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 8:01AM
vjs12
You're welcome. Not to bad for the pillows and fabric. The floral pillow could go on the black and cream chair. Anyway, the room looks great.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 10:49AM
Nicole Lee
i think it looks great!
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 11:10AM
Don't worry about curtains - those are fine!
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 11:13AM
Your room is fine. Add a throw to bed in color of walls. Bedding is good would not change out for darker color in winter. Not needed. Looks great good job.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    November 27, 2013 at 11:18AM
sunnydrew
I am going to keep working on it. I have something else to try to use. I had the velvet duvet cover and shams already. I wanted to use my down comforter, which is ratty looking but warm. It needed to be in a cover. The 150+ year old crochet coverlet that was on the bed is not warm enough by itself. It is better for the summer. thanks for the input. I will post when finished.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 11:23AM
Judiwithani
I think the colors work well. Nice fabric.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 2:05PM
indomom
I like everything you've done so far. Would love to see it when YOU think it's finished :)
    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 3:02PM
riverbloom
red and orange botanical print with black background think bedding needs to have some white too
    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 7:35PM
condomary
I love your paint colour with the black.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 7:46PM
chookchook2
Love the green walls!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 7:50PM
qoais
I'm with indomom. Love what you've done so far. My favorite color of green!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 10:30PM
Mike Lee Studio
i agree with Floor 5.
    Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 10:32PM
westerngal55
What is the color of the paint on the walls? I love it and am looking for just the right green for a makeover in one of our bedrooms.
    Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 9:39AM
hillarypatrick
I love this room. I think the only thing it needs is crown moulding. Add the plum color, with riverblooms comments about botanical prints and white on the bed and you will be happily... done.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 10:15PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I kind of like it... needs something though.
    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 4:23PM
Genevieve
Here is what I have done with my green spare room ,I added burgundy ,
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 4:37PM
ebeth43
I think you should make tie-backs out of the velvet sham and lavender/plum cording. Very little extra fabric needed. Problem solved.
    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:04PM
Genevieve
or this.
13 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 9:00PM
bobblet
looks great, maybe consider updating the art work to give it that 'punch' that you are looking for.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 6:46AM
RD Interior ReDesign & Home Staging
Sunnydew the room looks great as it is - that shade of green is so restful and the aubergine works really well as an accent. Sometimes we get a little too close to a design and begin to doubt ourselves the great thing about Houzz is you get a really good spread of ideas and opinions from more objective 'eyes'. Looking at your feedback here the consensus of opinion is leave it be girl it looks great as it is!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 1, 2013 at 6:55AM
sunnydrew
Westerngal - the paint in my room was originally Sherwin Williams 6710-Melange Green. It was remixed into Aura paint by Benjamin Moore. My walls look less intense in the photos at top than the actual brighter color which is more like the photo posted by Genevieve just above. That photo she posted is a good inspiration for me. I am still working on my room and will post new pix when I am done. the whole challenge was to try to utilize my aubergine velvet for the winter, without spending much and completely re-doing the room. I did not want to start re-hanging or changing pictures either, but have some others to try. Thanks all.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 9:05AM
westerngal55
Thank you :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 1, 2013 at 10:25AM
gawenski
This room looks great, love the green with black touches. Nice job!
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 1, 2013 at 5:47PM
sunnydrew
Thank you...are you looking at my pictures or the one that was added by Genevieve? That room is spectacular.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:49AM
decoratinglady5
Wow..This color is so restful..very nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 2, 2013 at 1:30PM
gawenski
Sunnydrew, I was looking at your original pic-the first one...love it!
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 2, 2013 at 1:50PM
twinkle24
I would suggest considering removing the prints above the bed-the rest looks great.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 2, 2013 at 5:58PM
mrskennethsmith
I would consider repainting the walls in a see-blue color that way you could keep your curtains and it would make a very peaceful guestroom. having said that the room is beautiful the way it is, if you don't like it and just have to have a change on and not do too much have you thought about maybe painting the bed a white or an offwhite
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 2, 2013 at 6:11PM
ebeth43
I agree that Genevieve's room is very well done and the reason it looks so great is that she wasn't afraid to trust her own personality. I decorated my dining room in several shades of green. As someone here said, it's restful. I like people to feel relaxed at my house. Also, as green comes from nature, it goes with most anything. Think of flowers. That's why your pillow works. I was looking at your room when I made my original comment.The only thing I might add is that the frames on your prints above your bed might look a lot better in black or silver. Small changes like that can make a big difference since the prints are right above, and part of, your room's focal point.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 3, 2013 at 12:51AM
sunnydrew
Hi all- The small prints are from a group of 5, can't change frames but am looking for other options for over the bed. I think if I took them down, someone would surely say I need to "put something over the bed" :) I am not repainting. It was that bright apple green that started the whole room. I have been re-thinking just about everything in there now. I have guests coming this week and that is why I was trying to make some quick changes. I am also putting up Christmas decorations at the same time. I actually pulled out my hot-glue gun last night to work on an old crushed wreath and added new "balls" to it along with some dried Magnolia leaves from the yard. I think the room that Genevieve posted was professionally done with custom bedding and drapes. It does give me ideas of what I can do. I have been/am making mine (curtains etc.) myself, which takes some time. I have still to make the bed skirt that matches curtains, been talking about it for 2-3 years now. I love doing all this and am constantly changing things in my home. Thanks for all the ideas and happy decorating!
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:25AM
Karen Helms
I Love this room Looks beautiful, An easy change if you want might be to paint the picture frame Black. Just a thought
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:39AM
handymam
You could always just paint the frames when you have some free time, lol. As if you have any now with all you are trying to accomplish! Don't worry so much, your guests will think the room is lovely just as it is!

Edit; Karen, you snuck that in while I was typing! :)
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:41AM
sunnydrew
Here is a picture of my above mentioned refreshed wreath. Maybe I should hang it over the bed.....or better yet, just make a new one with the pink cording and striped fabric with some black, cream and green!
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:47AM
indomom
That's lovely, sunnydrew!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 3, 2013 at 7:08AM
sunnydrew
BTW- the bird's eyes had apparently fallen off, so I used a fine point Sharpie pen to recreate them! I did not want to search my house for some black beads.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:29AM
midge54
The only items I would change are the pictures behind the bed. I would use something with black frames to tie them in with the other frames and accessories
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 4, 2013 at 3:02AM
Rebecca MacAndrew
i also think the room looks good as is, but if you feel something is off, maybe you could add some ribbon or trim detail to the curtains in the plum or green to make that fabric tie in, or add some more pillows to the bed in the black and white.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 4, 2013 at 5:37AM
Value Blinds and Shutters
I like you room,but I would change the pictures above the bed to either black mats or a color (one of the accent colors) in the mat and black frames.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 6:54AM
Bravehart Building
This is looking great. The only quick changes I would recco are:
- add crown moulding at top of the room, paint it same colour as room trim or black!
- raise the drapery rod up to just below ceiling/crown, if you have added it
- the art above bed is a bit small- what about a large horizontal mirror, framed in black. It will provide a focal point and bounce some light and tie into the black lamps
Easy peasy
1 Like    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 7:20AM
gypsyrose17
Ditch the striped fabric, the floral will draw your existing drapes into the scheme...I think it will be fine with just that minimal touch.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:14AM
sunnydrew
WOW, so many ideas and so little time. This is my idea of a very quick change. Cording for faux tie-backs, Fold back the duvet for less "Aubergine". Drape a plaid pinks and greens chenille throw on the bed, take a botanical printed top I never wear from Talbots and stuff an old pillow in it. Change a couple pictures to bring in the pinks and black together.. Forget about the stripe fabric for now. Ok, I am done for now. Any comments??? In reality the duvet is too hot, so I will probably go back to the way it was when my guest leaves next week.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:37AM
smontg05
How about a pair of bold black and white striped floor length tab curtains for window treatment. ( or save your curtains by cutting large stripes from flower fabric and adding white stripes Everything else is great! Fluff fold plum duvet at end of bed...
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 4, 2013 at 12:00PM
kathy
I would reframe the art over the bed in black frames. The art work seems to disappear.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 4, 2013 at 4:21PM
felizlady
My solution would be to introduce one more print fabric, possibly a more modern geometric or other non-floral print which has the plum, black and the wall color (and others), used to cover two pillows for the time that you use the plum cover. I have mixed a traditional floral with a modern almost geometric in several of the same colors, and it does work! Fabric for two pillows is a minor investment, and you can keep the drapes you like. It may take a few visits to several stores. Take color samples with you.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 5, 2013 at 6:34PM
sunnydrew
Dear felizlady- I have in fact been trying to find that one elusive fabric to tie it all together. I have limited sources where I live and I will keep searching as I can. The black, plum and green seems to be an obviously good combo for this application, but hard to actually find. thanks for your input. If you see something here, please post a link.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 9:09AM
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 6, 2013 at 9:35AM
gypsyrose17
sunnydrew...hancock fabrics can be ordered online and shipped.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 6, 2013 at 9:49AM
Drapery Connection
One quick way to connect the aubergine in your winter bedding to your black and cream draperies is to add soft aubergine swags over your drapery panels.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 11:19AM
mickisue
As to your original question…the winter fabrics look lovely with your curtains.

But I love the idea of replacing the pictures with that lovely wreath for the holidays. My kids would love to stay at your house, I gotta say…the guest room in my house isn't nearly so well put together.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 11:41AM
kathy
For fabrics try OnLineFabric.com - Great selection and you can order samples. I order from them all the time
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 12:14PM
;lkjbhvcx
Try DecoratorFabrics.com or Interior Fabrics in Texas. Locations in Houston, Austin and Dallas, and online. Great prices. I would add a shocking deep pink or burgundy to the mix, just a small pillow for the bed, a small throw for the chair back, and maybe tiebacks for the accent. I think it looks fabulous! And I like it with the velvet duvet folded at the foot of the bed. I have duvet covers for all of my beds. I can whip off the cover and throw it in the machine and save the duvet itself from expensive cleaning. I have a purple room that duvet would look fabulous in! You have excellent taste.

I did the last room entirely at Interior Fabrics. Avg. cost of fabric was $10.99 /yd. Most was on closeout. I have a period home so have to do things antique, since it dates to 1870. THis room has 2 versions of the same fabric, (stripe and large print) a solid cotton with a woven taffeta look on back for the duvet, and a gorgous peacock blue damask for the furniture, which only cost $9.99/yd. My next house will be more contemporary, since it will be my home and not my business. BTW, a great accent for purple is some form of coral.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 7, 2013 at 1:28PM
Kerri Kunde
Love what you have done with the bedrooms above
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 7, 2013 at 5:52PM
;lkjbhvcx
Was that for me or for the original poster, Kerrie? If for me, why thank you! I have a small B&B in New Braunfels, Texas, Antoinette's Cottage, on Facebook, if you would like to see all of them.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 7, 2013 at 6:58PM
lapalmisano
I think it is great. Love the plum and velvet. I would never go back to the cream.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 7, 2013 at 7:35PM
h0mesweethome
It works! If the duvet cover had the same pattern, I would have hated it, but the plain white bed cover is a perfect choice. Wall colour and everything else ties together nicely.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 7, 2013 at 8:00PM
omagnes
I would consider painting the walls in flannel grey. Great with Aubergine duvet, white bedding in the summer if you put some accent pillows on bed, and the gorgeous black/white draperies. You have lovely guest room !
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 9, 2013 at 5:30AM
sunnydrew
Thank you. I am not planning on repainting. I love the bright apple green with the black and cream. I was just trying to use the duvet cover and have it tie in with all existing colors.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 7:20AM
Studio NOO Design
Just add 2 cream and black cushions behind the nice fabric you chose, and voilà ! looks great, by the way !
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 9, 2013 at 3:17PM
jimmynichols
A
    Bookmark   Thanked by sunnydrew    December 14, 2013 at 9:25AM
sunnydrew
Since all my guests have come and gone, I am going back to my original black and oyster/cream guest room. I will make the new bed skirt as I have the fabric already. I will try to make some new covers for the big furry shams. This coverlet is very old and sentimental, so I wish to keep it in the room. I may look for something new though. I am going to switch out the tables and use them elsewhere. They are too low for this bed anyway. The lamps have white shades that came with them, but I liked the black shades (from other lamps that won't work in here). I am going to change the artwork again. Any other suggestions (not repainting please)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:18AM
Lets start working on the guest room
While I wait on items to arrive for the other rooms,...
Sanciare Perry
Guest room colours -South Africa
This is the main guest room in our new-build home....
rolyandflick
Need help updating a room around existing tile
We are doing a compete remodel of my husband's grandparents'...
claire12345
purple guest room with green armoire
I have a guest room that has purple walls and a big...
Ty
Need help pulling my guest bedroom together.
I've purchased the bedding and the headboard. I need...
teambell
Need help with our courtyard
We have a wonderful 20m x 6m courtyard. I'm happy with...
imray
I want to turn an exterior second floor patio into an interior room
I have a large partially enclosed patio off 2 upstairs...
kezmoh
New bathroom
Dear all We are moving to our new house and going to...
Benjamin NArcyz
side table advice
Hi there! I'm looking for side tables that would blend...
Sarah
New Condo/Apartment - layout advice!
Hi all, Looking for some advice on how we can arrange...
Andra Maria