Paint choice/style
slelex
So my living room is all white and it's pretty boring ... It's taken me a while to figure out what color to paint or what to do with the walls to make it look nice with the furnishings...

Any advice?

I was going to do two accent walls of some sort of blue but still deciding.

Thanks
agarcia3201
Since you already have bold pattern on your rug and you seem to like blue and gray. I'd choose a cool bluish grey and paint the entire room - not just an accent wall. Just remember the color is always darker on the wall so go lighter than you might first select.
November 27, 2013 at 2:11PM     
indianpatti
Hmmm, how about that apple green that is in the picture?
November 27, 2013 at 2:12PM     
IMO, accent walls should be unpierced by doors or windows, if that helps. Use the green from the art for it, and lower the art to 5" above the sofa back. Personally, I'm so past chevron, as well as trelllis. At least your rug has some variety of color and a nice three dimensional effect. I never was convinced by the "big box" stores to get into the monster battery clocks. Have you considered covering the rads? Can be pretty cool. Search for ideas in the box above under Photos and rad cover.
November 27, 2013 at 2:16PM     
Chandani
While I like the apple green, I'm not sure about living with it as an accent colour. I like the idea of the blue grey.... and if you like the idea of an accent wall, then maybe go a couple of shades darker of the same colour as the accent wall. I know you probably would not like to hear this, but I think your rug could be bigger. Maybe just move it so that the couch legs are sitting on it? Simple drape panels would soften the space and add some texture to the space.
November 27, 2013 at 2:23PM     
stylishdigs
Hello. What a great start. You have great bones to work with. Nice floor and great to have 2 windows! Here are some suggestions. You mentioned that you would be looking at some accent colors for the walls, so if that is the case, you might consider softening up some of the lines that you have. Accent pillows, that will match your accent color choice - they could be floral, folk or geometrics, that way you lighten up the dark leather couch. You could also consider hanging window panels in complimentary colors. They don't necessarily have to be full drapes - just enough to soften the windows. Hang the panel bar as close to the ceiling as you can because you want to enhance the height of the room. If finances are no concern, you could install wider crown moulding all around the room, gives height and personality. You need more lighting. I would consider going to your local "sally ann" shop or go to a tag sale to find two lamps that could be placed at each end of the leather coach. You could lighten up the coffee table (if you are not attached to it) by painting it out in a lighter colour. Annie Sloan paints are a good move on that one. You could move the clock from the one wall over to where your home office is and place it just above your desk, not too high. The space where the clock was could be used as a family portrait wall, filled with frames-all the same trim colour with black and white photos or colour. Mix the size and shape of the frames but keep the frames the same colour. The lamp is much too high at your office station - bring it down to desk level or once again, find a funky modern lamp, so that it provides light when you are working. I would get rid of the office chair and look for a chair that has a fabric seating with wood arms and legs or rattan, weaved chair. The office chair is too severe. Keep an eye out for garage sales or family who may be getting rid of older antique, character chairs. I am curious to know what you are looking at if you are seated at your coach? Is that where your TV/Stereo is? Have fun!
November 27, 2013 at 2:25PM     
I like the apple green wall color idea, or the blue/lavender?? from the art.
November 27, 2013 at 2:32PM   
houssaon
I like stylihsdigs recommendations, except the office chair is functional and you need good back support, so don't get rid of it. I like the blue in the painting. Could see doing the wall in that color and the other three in a medium tone gray.
November 27, 2013 at 6:53PM     
Mariza Vocisano
periwinkle blue- medium shade and large greenery to echo the apple green in painting
November 27, 2013 at 6:57PM     
qoais
I'd go with green and gray with a touch of orange. Blue is cold. I also think you should put something tall in the room, like a book shelf.
November 27, 2013 at 10:38PM     
stylishdigs
I am the first one to say that you should never get rid of anything because it can be repurposed. So....in my prior post, I mentioned that the office chair is too severe. I still believe that it is, however, if this what you want to keep, then you should do so. By the way, the lightest blue colour in the rug is a good choice and you could keep the white trim the whole room.
November 28, 2013 at 11:13AM   
fraservalleydoll
Hi! I would work with what you have (blues, grays and turquoise) I would PAINT the wall behind the couch as an accent (wall paper is expensive and a nuance to remove), then find some nice pictures (or cool posters) in decent frames and add 'accent' color throughout the room. Try chalk paint on pieces of furniture you're opting to toss, you'd be surprised how small things can have big impact. Good luck! Keep us posted.
November 28, 2013 at 2:20PM   
qoais
This is nice!
November 28, 2013 at 7:12PM     
Sustainable Dwellings
Dove grey.
November 29, 2013 at 4:19PM     
monicadurant
I agree that either gray for all walls or green accent wall.
November 29, 2013 at 10:01PM   
Donna Talley
I would add more color through accent pieces, like throw pillows, a table or floor lamp, curtains, etc. Also, I would move the large clock that is between the windows, to the home office area, above the desk. The painting that is partially showing on that wall could be moved, maybe paired with the one hanging over the sofa? Then choose a paint color that pulls it all together.

Michelle Salz-Smith, ASID, CID
Shoshana
Bella Fiore
Beaugureau Studios
December 1, 2013 at 7:04AM   
bobblet
a good grey...there are lots of shades, but something warm, not blueish in colour, more charchole tones....I would also get a really great drum style floor lamp to place by the couch near the window, you need some height there. Would not make the clock the feature, maybe switch up with what you have on the other wall. Lastly you may want to consider a 'round' coffee table instead to break away from the linear lines in your couch. Great bones to your place!
December 1, 2013 at 7:12AM     
sbrustein
I would paint the entire room a blue-gray. It sure about the accent wall. It limits options for future rearrangements. Agree with drapes/fabric panels on the windows. They look unfinished. But in general, the room looks great.
December 1, 2013 at 7:17AM     
amelia_
I'd go Steel Symphony 5 by Dulux. Its a light grey/blue
December 1, 2013 at 10:00AM      Thanked by slelex
In Style Modern
I'm going with qoais's recommendations, i'm liking the dark grey one the most!
December 2, 2013 at 3:58AM     
Color Zen
I think a blue/gray would look great! I would paint the entire room.
December 3, 2013 at 9:29AM   
No accent walls in small room. Go a soft gray by Benjamin Moore, always a good choice. Yr pic over sofa too high drop to 7" above top of sofa. Add panels or roman shades to windows. Go 2 shades darker than walls. Use turquoise from pic for pillows.
December 3, 2013 at 10:15AM     
Add lime green accents to coffee.
December 3, 2013 at 10:16AM     
henhouzz
Balboa Mist by Benjamin Moore is a great color for your space.
December 3, 2013 at 3:43PM   
slelex
I'm going to start with some curtain panels and then look into a paint choice... most likely a shade of grey... thinking of getting a different couch also -possibly a lighter color
December 3, 2013 at 5:16PM   
mepllc
You might like a dark midnight blue accent wall. Add some silver Gray and apple green accents along with some bold midnight blue, Apple green, and silver Gray geometric print drape panels, and a throw blanket, accent pillows on the sofa.
December 4, 2013 at 6:50AM     
mepllc
I love adding art to a bold colour painted accent wall. Like one great art statement. The rest of the walls would be great with maybe a couple shelves with books and then add a floor lamp and just layer different textures with the color scheme you choose. Books always warm a room.
December 4, 2013 at 6:53AM   
charlielou
I have similar colors and painted my living room in Behr paint "Verdigris"... I have never regretted it!
December 4, 2013 at 7:00AM   
Wayfinding Design
What is your focal point? What do you want to see first? Where do you want your eye to go from there? Right now the rug steals the show. It doesn't look like a very large room, so I'd stick to one color to pull it all together. A dusky greenish grey hue would enhance the warmth of the wood floor and open the space. Perhaps put a floor mirror between the windows, giving the room more depth. Incorporate blue into accent items. Because the rug grabs so much attention, the landscape on the wall is a bit lost. It needs friends...
December 4, 2013 at 7:31AM   
gypsyrose17
Try some grommet panels over your windows...you just need more texture, all your surfaces are rather flat. You can go for colors, but I think just a natural cotton duck would work wonders.
December 4, 2013 at 10:17AM     
stryker
how about painting those radiators bright green? would pop against gray or blue gray on three walls, then a green accent wall by the desk.
December 4, 2013 at 12:56PM     
kicksychick
Great room - love the carpet! Here are some suggestions: A grey or blue on all the walls. Move the desk over on the wall slightly so it's not stuffed in the corner. Move the clock to sit over the lower portion of the desk. Add an accent chair to your sofa/table grouping. Add drapery panels on either side of both the windows. Using accessories, add a few more shots of the lovely apple green found in your artwork.
December 4, 2013 at 1:10PM   
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
I agree with Sustainable and Travis.....pale gray walls throughout the room. Be careful with blue paint on walls.....it always looks stronger when it is up!! Be sure to get samples, paint practice boards, and hang them around the room in different light. Painting "accent walls" helps to create or enhance a focal point. The wall behind the couch is not the focal point. If you have an indented space, where a fireplace is, that is a focal point wall. Many time the focal point in a room is where the view is. Agreed not to paint walls with windows a different color....I also like the idea of pops of color in pillows, drapes and accessories.
December 4, 2013 at 1:21PM     
StudioCoulourDesignConsultants
If you were going for an accent, do the window wall in BM 2129-40 Normandy Gray and the surrounding walls in 2129-60 Mt. Rainier Gray. I would also put a black or dark brown drapery rod near the ceiling to draw you eye upward and then two stationary panels on each side just off the windows just to ground that end of the room and make it more of an feature. Since they are only stationary panels you can splurge on the fabric and make it more luscious. If you have some left over or have to cut ready made panels then make some cushions for your sectional also. M
December 4, 2013 at 1:22PM   
gypsyrose17
If you're going to try any paint that is a little out of your normal range, opt for a brand that sells the little sample bottles and make test patches, a gray that looks good on your friends wall may not look the same in your house due to different sunlight, ambient light, etc.
December 4, 2013 at 2:22PM   
rubyloves2shop
Blue Green is very comfortable soothing color and would go with your art at least according to my computer screen. The apple green would be nice for accents. Staying lighter than the pictures but darker than the other wall colors for your accent walls would balance it nicely without losing the contrast.
December 4, 2013 at 11:22PM   
marsia
I just painted my bedroom blue-green and had to go over it with a glaze because it was too sweet colored. I added dark brown to the glaze and that brought the color down. I should have just started with a grayer color to begin with. I think blues are hard to get right - be sure to paint a large swatch when deciding - they are very different in large quantities. And I agree to go a little lighter than you would think - blue is so saturated. Good luck!
December 5, 2013 at 2:28PM     
rubyloves2shop
Think of your color in seasons (spring, summer, fall, winter) you want a fall blue/green not spring.
December 5, 2013 at 6:42PM   
DesignAnts LLC
I might go even more bold and paint the ceiling an accent color. A rich deep blue. Keep the walls a light to medium grey or an off white.
December 5, 2013 at 6:47PM   
Michelle Peavy
I would agree with agarcia3201 on the color scheme. I would also add some iron sconces with candles and a big canvas size family photo in the middle right behind the couch so it is seen by everyone that comes in. Just my opinion.
December 7, 2013 at 9:38AM   
slimberley
Some great suggestions here. I'd like to echo the calls for the walls to be painted a light blue gray colour - it would be easier to live with and change colour schemes / accents colours. Glad jeanstryker suggested painting the radiators in the same green as is in the painting as that is exactly what I was thinking. I know someone said to cover them up, but I like them and think you could make them into a quirky feature.
Also agree the clock should be moved to the desk wall. Curtains and cushions should pick up the colours in the painting too. Good luck and show us what you go with in the end!
December 9, 2013 at 12:26PM     
CertaPro Painters of North San Diego
Since their has been plenty of discussion on colors, I will lend my advice on the paint. I would use 2 coats of Pro Mar 200 on the walls, and Pro Mar 400 on the ceilings. You will always need 2 coats of paint whenever you have a color change or sheen change. Lastly, if you are selecting a very bold color, or a pure white, it may take 3 coats to cover. These are both Sherwin Williams ZERO VOC paints and cover great.
December 9, 2013 at 12:44PM   
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Blond wood everyhere
My house screams 'Remodel' but budget allows only a...
Awkward Bathroom Layout
want to do a master bathroom renovation, but stuck...
Protecting new cabinetry during final construction
I just had some beautiful new kitchen cabinets installed...
How to renovate room with damp walls
Our room has damp walls......the paint keeps peeling...