Is my rug too small?
alex5000
Hi, I bought a 5 x 8 rug and was wondering if it is too small for my living room. Thanks!!!
It should stick out on the chaise end just about like it does on this end. It is too narrow as well. Use blue painter's tape to tape one out in the area and then shop for the nearest size or one size larger. Don't skimp on size. If it doesn't stick out on both ends of the sofa and fit 1/3 to 1/2 way under the sofa section, it will look wrong, IMO. www.homedecorators.com is having a rug sale.
November 27, 2013 at 4:17PM     
bungalowmo
Maybe just a little...but that's one BIG room. I wouldn't try to get something to fill it either, especially if budget is an issue.

I see where you were going with it...but I think you need either another color, or a pattern or even a mix of both. The solid color is too one-dimensional with the walls & drapes being the same color as well. It's totally fine to have different patterns on the rug and drapes, as long as it's not too "over the top". Your drapes are pretty...I like the subtle pattern.

Maybe something like this?
November 27, 2013 at 4:28PM     
bungalowmo
Ok...just took a closer look at your rug & I do see the slight pattern in it. Pretty rug, but I still think that area needs something with more color or depth/design.
November 27, 2013 at 4:33PM   
Judiwithani
Entire sofa, including chaise needs to fit on the rug. Line the contemporary rug posted by bungalowmo. Nice drapes and sofa. Could see another color with the gray, light blue, aqua.
November 27, 2013 at 4:40PM   
alex5000
Thanks for the recommendations! Decoenthusiaste the rug can't stick out of the chaise side because the chaise is against the wall. I understand the principle though, I think I need an 8 x 10 rug.
For bungalowmo, yes the pattern doesn't show too much on the picture I took, but I attached the store pic of the rug.
November 27, 2013 at 4:40PM   
Genevieve
Yes you need to accommodate both ,sofa and chaise and remove that runner use a tray instead. Oops ! the tray is there :) so just remove the runner.

November 27, 2013 at 4:43PM     
bears72
Like your rug but way too small, may need even bigger than 8 x10 . Can you get it that size?
November 27, 2013 at 5:13PM   
alex5000
Thanks for all the tips!!! Is this better? It's an 8 x 10 rug (biggest I could get).
November 28, 2013 at 9:07AM     
bears72
Much better, so glad you could get the rug you like in the bigger size. 1 last thing to try is turn it the other way elongating your room. You could be really surprised at the ahh moment you get.
November 28, 2013 at 9:30AM     
anne dee
placement of yr rug as shown in this house pic!

November 28, 2013 at 9:48AM     
mkhodges
Alex...Larger rug looks much better to me. It would be interesting to see it turned different ways...but I think it looks good now.

Bungalomo...I really like the first two rugs you posted. They are more my style. May I ask where you found them?
November 28, 2013 at 1:32PM     
leelee
Yes, much better with 8 x 10 and it's a pretty rug so there's more to see of it.

How about an end table of the closest corner with a lamp? Or a floor lamp coming over the sofa from far corner?
November 28, 2013 at 2:11PM     
leelee
Why are your curtains short?
November 28, 2013 at 2:13PM   
alex5000
Hey leelee, thanks for the input! I attached a picture from a different angle to show the lamp that goes over the sofa.
I am not sure why the curtains are short. They are not custom and are 5 inches from the floor. The next available length is 1 foot longer and I don't like when the curtains touch the floor.
November 28, 2013 at 3:08PM   
Is my rug too small?
I purchase this rag rug last night and love it, but...
Is my hide rug too small?
Hi everyone, I bought a few hide rugs to use under...
My master bath is outdated and tub is too deep, shower too small
I plan to make shower/wet room with pedicure sink....
Wanting to redo my bathroom, my shower is horrible, and too small!
My husband and I designed our house 14 years ago. At...
Area rug, is it too small ?
Just got the area rug that I like but I am wondering...
need help for my blank wall! :-)
Hi wonderful houzzers..im here again to seek your advices...
Need recs on a good paint color
Redecorating my daughter's room. The bedding is new...
Need help determining tile direction
We have a long, narrow room (8x20) that we are turning...
Tall cabinet or not?
I posted about our master bath but since the cabinet...
Front of Cabin (Exterior)
We have a cedar-sided lake cabin & love the front porch...