Carrie Lucke
Looking for some ideas to help us with this odd roofline on the side of the house. The original architectural plans detail a X motif white wood railing with a flat roof. My preference is to tear off that 3 season room and return to the original plans. My husband agrees that the roof line looks awkward and distracts from the overall curb appeal- however he does not want to loose the square footage from the investment standpoint. That 3 season room is off my two little girls bedroom and makes a great little play space in the Spring, Fall, and summer (we live in Wisconsin so it's uninhabitable 4-5 months out of the year)
I hesitate to invest much money into this room since we don't use it that much and don't really need any extra space in the house. We will need to do a new roof in the near future. Any input of roof color and what to do with that odd over hang would be so appreciated.
Carrie Lucke
More pictures.
January 15, 2012 at 10:38am   
bepsf
Why not simply remove the Faux-Mansard from that wing and clad the vertical exterior wall between the top of the brick and the bottom of the window casing in clapboards to match the wing on the back of the house?
January 15, 2012 at 12:00pm   
Carrie Lucke
Do you think we could do that without having to replace with windows? They are quite cheap windows. to replace them would be costly because they go around all three sides. What do you think about doing like a wood 'wainscot" or paneling application? I am not super excited about coordinating the clapboard since it was not an original material. That room on the back was another bad 70's addition probably a result of the same former owner. I could get reclaimed cream city bricks (the home is built out of 'cream city' yellow brick which is common in Milwaukee in homes, factories and churches of this era. Enough old factories were raised in the 50's for the highway projects that the brick is available- 75 Cents each. We used them on the front retaining wall and the porch.
January 15, 2012 at 12:15pm   
bepsf
Yes, if you can source more brick - that would certainly be preferable.

As far as the windows - it makes sense to have all the work done at the same time. Perhaps purchase and stockpile the brick in the garage in preparation for the time when you can complete the entire project?
January 15, 2012 at 8:11pm   
TanCalGal
When I don't like a feature of a house, I tend to obsess and only focus on that feature that I don't like. Maybe you are like that, too. The house is beautiful. I like the sunroom! The landscaping is beautiful, including the front retaining walls with hedges & also the foundation plantings. The whole exterior look is very tasteful and in keeping with the materials that were used on the house originally. I would try the following: I'd visually widen the front door area so it looked larger and commanded more attention. I'd paint the front door white like the surrounding trim so it matched the white trim and that whole trim + front door area would be seen as one large area (the front door area at the present does not look white to me, but photos can be deceiving). Some people design wreaths for 4 seasons. This would help draw the eyes to the door focal point but might be too much trouble for a young family. Here's a photo of a white door http://www.mywedding.com/blog/tag/colonial-house/
I'd buy larger lights for each side of the front door to have the focal point of the door stand out more. I like the urns, but they are blocking the door surround and decreasing the visual impact of the whole front door area. I'd move the urns to under the lights or on top of the brick columns at entry or in front of the brick columns on the steps themselves. I agree with your husband, & would not change the sunroom. Aside from adding more square feet, you are using the area 6-7 months of the year for play, and you'll find other uses as time goes on (summer porch for sleepovers with slumber bags, even teens or college kids would love that).
Painting the front door a orange-red might work but I think the door you have has very little wood and mostly glass, so this would not work, but here are some great photos anyway http://architecture.about.com/od/paint/ig/Yellow-and-Gold/Colonial-Cream.htm
Another orange-red door http://dohow.info/53060-georgian-colonial-house-paint-colors.html
January 15, 2012 at 10:20pm   
TanCalGal
continued I usually like black or charcoal roofs but I am not familiar with your area of the country and cream-city brick. I'd drive around the neighborhood and see what I liked on other people's homes. The roof overhand is probably a very practical feature: it protects the sunroom from sun, so the sunroom does not get too hot and protects sunroom windows from rain so any boards below and foundation area as well do not receive too much moisture. I would make or buy white cafe curtains for all the sunroom windows. Just the lower half. Probably lined or a thick material like denim. I'd be careful to always have the cafe curtains "just so" across the lower half of the window and not pulled to the side. I think this is all the sunroom needs to look fabulous from the street. I might buy double the cafe curtains you think you need, to make sure the cafe curtains looked white and nicely "bunched" together from the street and not just pulled tightly across the window.
This shows the idea of how cafe curtain on lower window might look, but use this cafe curtain idea only on the upper sunroom windows
January 15, 2012 at 10:22pm   
mousemaker
welcome to Wisconsin :) where we have regular seasons of road work, road icy, and road not passable :)
love your house though, and i hope you get lots of suggestions. i've always liked Milw. brick, it's a nice warm color..
January 16, 2012 at 2:59pm   
Carrie Lucke
Thank you all for the ideas! I agree on the charcoal roof. I was thinking about that, but not feeling confident. right now it's sort of an orange. We would like a tile roof- but to get the quality of tile that stands up to the wisconsin winter is way too costly for us and not a likely investment that would come back to us. Regarding the suggestion on moving my urns- I know what you mean. That they are too close to the door. But if I move them under the lights then they are directly behind the porch post and would not be visible. Should I leave them in their current location or move them up by the steps at the front yard? Would it be bare by the door then?
Love the idea of cafe curtains! That is a for sure. I have not even gotten the the point of dealing with that room- but I knew I did not like the former owners curtains. It never occured to me about the impact that could have from the curb. Thank you so much!!
January 16, 2012 at 4:09pm   
Carrie Lucke
a better picture of the front door.
I painted it green last summer. it was a orangy red when we moved in. It looked good but I just really like green. Do you think it's okay or should I rethink it?
January 16, 2012 at 4:15pm   
ivche_ivche
I agree with j222b that the general look of the house is very handsome and proportionate and you might be able to do just fine with some cheap cosmetic changes. I like the suggestion to strengthen the impact of the front entrance in any way you can - including those mentioned. I think the "awkwardness" of the sunroom comes from having too much glass, in that upper left corner, which doesn't really follow the neat symmetry among the other windows and the front door, and is not even paned like the other windows. A very inexpensive improvement would be: 1/ buy or make some detachable "panes" to match window style; 2/ put curtains on the two side windows that match the color of the yellow brick (those would stay drawn, especially when you're showing off the house), and 3/ paint those side window frames the same yellow color. All this would optically "hide" the side windows, leave you with the look of a single window in the middle of that upeer left section, which has a nice symmetry with the two windows below, and "matches" the windows of the main house. You can even add in the cafe curtain idea for the middle window and the windows on the other side - to disguise the difference in proportion between these windows and those on the main house.
January 16, 2012 at 4:25pm   
ivche_ivche
p.s. "Yellow brick" shades would be even better than curtains. I would also consider very dark brown for the roof. I fyou are reroofing you might be able to "trim" the overhang a little bit or (much more expensive, of course) turn it into a hip to match the other roofline. I can't make out enough on the picture though, so might be off here.
January 16, 2012 at 4:32pm   
TanCalGal
I'd try the urns in front of the brick columns on the steps. I think the look would be very welcoming and draw attention to the front door and make the front door stand out more. It's something I'd try, anyway, then take a photo and compare it with photo you have (comparing things in my own house with photos helps me maintain objectivity). I'd paint the door white for reasons given above. We're trying to establish the front door, brick columns, & steps with urns as a large welcoming focal point (to detract from the 3 season room. I think I referred to it as a sunroom, sorry)--bigger lamps might help, too. I don't think door would be too bare b/c that whole area would now be the focal point instead of a narrow green strip on the door as the focal point with the white surround half hidden by the urns. I have to move things about to decide .... then I wait a few days and keep looking at the area to see if I change my mind. I wouldn't rush to paint the door,either, use masking tape and put white paper there to see if you like the effect. The orange door did go with the roof better than the green, but I think the small strip of orange or green is too narrow and I'd try the white next & I think I'd paint the wrought iron white, too.
January 16, 2012 at 4:49pm   
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Need to Update Kitchen Cabinet doors
Where can I buy replacement kitchen cabinet door fronts?...
upstairs hallway
Just moved in to this 2002 mcmansion. Goal is for it...