Interior shutters and trim color?
PirateFoxy
I had planned on researching this more, but there are some good deals on window treatments online at the moment (or coming up, for Black Friday) so I don't really have the time. If you have interior shutters, how do you handle the fact that they come in a relatively limited selection of colors? Do you just get whatever is closest (white or off white or whatever) and hope it doesn't look too awful with your trim color? Do you match your trim paint for the rest of the room to the shutters?

I was thinking in terms of white or off white shutters (rather than wood tone) but now I'm rethinking because I'm not sure what trim color I'll be using exactly because we haven't picked the wall color yet. (Literally just got into the house, haven't had time to put up samples, even, due to other stuff going on.)

(I can always just wait and pay more, of course, which I might end up doing. But it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the sales and get rid of the dusty window treatments currently installed all in one fell swoop.)
I match my trim to the color of my shutters. I think that is important for the look. If you plan to be in your home for many years, do custom install. It is worth the $$$$. Because of the expense, I have them only in my bedrooms and bathrooms. I do not have privacy issues with the rest of the house, so I took my time doing fabric panels to the floor on the other doors and windows.
November 28, 2013 at 6:34AM      Thanked by PirateFoxy
PirateFoxy
@iamjudy - I haven't come across anyone online who seems to be offering custom paint options yet, so I didn't even really think in terms of that being an option. I was kind of leaning towards the fake wood material just for ease of cleaning but I would hope that for custom prices they would be all properly finished and sealed. (There's someone with bad allergies in the house, so I don't really want to have to stress about if too much water got in somewhere every time I go to clean them since I anticipate needing to at least give them a quick wipe quite frequently.)

I've only encountered them in person in a living room - how do you find them in the bedrooms for light control? I like to be able to make bedrooms really quite dark and I worry a bit that there'd be a lot of places for possible light leakage with a shutter? (In the living room they were only half-height shutters for privacy purposes, so it was impossible to determine if they were adequately keeping out the light since they didn't cover the whole window anyway.)

Right now I'm planning on them for sure in the living room and in the den/guest room.
November 28, 2013 at 5:58PM   
They are great for light control.

I don’t have all wood because I live so close to the ocean. The shutters are a composite but look like wood.

If you can get a deal, get a white and then match your trim paint to them.

I worry about your installing the shutters. I have 2 x 6 construction, so the shutters fit inside the frame. For an outside mount, it may be easier to measure and install as there may be room for error.
November 28, 2013 at 6:07PM   
Need help picking paint colours
I need help choosing two new paint colours (one for...
Outdoor Shower - almost! - Rock or wood?
Going to finish outdoor shower area. Leaning toward...
Paint color for northern facing room-Help!!!
I wanted to use gray colors for northern facing rooms...
Updating 70's house
Beams are rough cedar, ceiling is t&g cedar. Not sure...
Headboard in front of window.
Looking for a way to build or buy and mount a low...