What is the best way to tell if your bathroom layout will work
H & H Vinyl Fencing
We are acting as our own contractor to finish building a home my grandparents started framing. I am trying to modify the bathroom layout from the original plan to include a freestanding tub and shower, but I don't know if what I've planned will actually fit. I've tried drawing an image to scale, do not have the proper software and have not been able to get a true feel. I've considered hiring a designer and may do that just to be safe, but kind of wanted to do it on my own if I can. I've tried drawing it out on the floor but just can't tell what it would feel like in 3d. Thanks from Texas!
kadodi
Your measurements don't work on the bottom wall. 36 + 60 is 96 which only leaves 20 inches for the door.

Why do you have 2 entrances? A 36" shower can work but certainly isn't grand or spacious.
November 28, 2013 at 6:02AM   
H & H Vinyl Fencing
Sorry my drawing is confusing. The total length of the top and bottom walls is 148.75. The door on the bottom leads from the master bedroom and the door on the top wall leads to the master closet. I was afraid a 36"x36" would feel too small but haven't been able to find one to stand in one. I've read online that is the min we would want to go. Thanks so much!
November 28, 2013 at 6:17AM   
I suggest you download sketch up version 8 and you can input your dimensions and walk through in 3d.
I am not keen on your shower so close to your tub.
November 28, 2013 at 8:14AM        Thanked by H & H Vinyl Fencing
apple_pie_order
You have all the dimensions ready to go for Sketch-up. It is quick and easy. Create a couple different versions with the alternative measurements.

36 by 36 inches for a new shower is comfortable for a person of average height, maybe not for a larger person. Stick your elbows out straight as if you were washing your hair, have someone measure the elbow to elbow distance.
November 28, 2013 at 8:19AM        Thanked by H & H Vinyl Fencing
H & H Vinyl Fencing
Thanks so much! I will check out sketch up, and will measure elbow to elbow :-)
November 28, 2013 at 7:53PM   
TMK Remodeling
Agree with comments that shower is too small and close to tub. Why do you need both tub and shower? Consider combining them if you feel it's too tight.

Use 2" blue tape and layout the bathroom fixtures in the space to get a better sense of the spacing and proportions. Ask the builder for advice.
November 28, 2013 at 8:04PM   
William Roy Designer Kitchens
You have enough room for a tub and shower with an eight foot long wall.
I would make the water closet space a bit smaller (36") allowing a slightly wider entrance. Many possibilities with this space.
November 28, 2013 at 8:08PM   
kathy
Through the bathroom is the only way into the closet? If yes, then I would prefer the toilet to be in an enclosed separate space. That way one partner doesn't have to wait for other to finish 'business' before he/she can get to closet.
November 29, 2013 at 6:56AM   
yoboseiyo
i just mapped it out on graph paper.
here's what i've got.
i moved the knee wall for the toilet over. 3' id plenty of space there.
i also switched where the vanity and the tub are.

if you're still concerned about spacing, i would look into a smaller tub.
there are 4.5' long soaking tubs available, if that's what you want the tub for.
November 29, 2013 at 7:30AM   
suzanne_m
Do you have any window in the bathroom?
November 29, 2013 at 8:00AM   
suzanne_m
Can the doors be re-located?
November 29, 2013 at 8:00AM   
H & H Vinyl Fencing
Thanks everyone! TMK, We don't really have to have the tub in master bath, but if it fits comfortably we would prefer it. If it doesn't, we don't want to sacrifice what we are hoping will turn out to be a roomy bathroom for a couple wanting to start and raise a family here. We are installing a tub/shower combo in the guest/kids bathroom so there will be a tub in the house either way. William Roy, I love the idea of moving the wall to allow for more room in the entry! It seemed to me everything "should" fit also so I'll keep working on it. (Side note: I've downloaded SketchUp but am getting an error message when I install so still working on that as well.) Kathy, I hadn't thought of needing to access the closet while hubby is in restroom so will take that into consideration, if possible. Yoboseiyo, I like your layout and moving the wall over. Did you switch the sink and tub so the door to the shower could open more easily or so the sink could be the focal point now that I have a wider entry? Just curious. Suzanne, there are no windows currently in the room, but I have purchased one that is 2'x3' and the contractor is on hold waiting for my decisions as to where to install it. I can exchange that window for any other size and can have it installed anywhere on the far right wall, which is the exterior. I can also have the doors moved, probably fairly easy although the electrical rough in and plumbing rough ins have begun. I still would MUCH rather make any changes now before any more work is done and any walls are closed, so we are not wanting a major redo on our new bathroom before it's even done :-) I've attached a picture as it currently stands. The view is from the master bedroom and you might be able to see the door to the restroom, the restroom, then the door to the closet, and beyond (office/kitchen/utility).
November 29, 2013 at 9:03AM   
If the home is for your grandparents, hiring someone with skills in "accessability" might be a good investment of your time, $$ and energy. Plan for the future.
November 29, 2013 at 9:35AM     
yoboseiyo
i switched the sink and tub because i thought that it would avoid possible traffic collisions. ;D

someone at the vanity when someone else wants to walk into the bath would have to move over to let the other past. switching the tub and sink positions would prevent that, to my mind.

and i would put that window you bought between the shower and sink, if that's the outside wall. there should be enough room, even with a 42" shower.

and i would really look into a smaller soaking tub. this is the one i was thinking of earlier. http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Greek-4-ft-Reversible-Drain-Acrylic-Soaking-Tub-in-White-K-1490-X-0/100027218#.UpjTcydOnIU
November 29, 2013 at 9:50AM   
H & H Vinyl Fencing
Thank you, but my husband and I actually bought the house and property from my grandparents who decided they had no desire to finish the project. It was framed more with their needs and style in mind, but it is a large home on a large piece of property that we think will work well for our (hopefully) soon-to-be family for many years. We are trying to add tray ceilings to the living room, kitchen, and master bedroom to get extra height in the ceilings, add an electric fireplace in the living room, and whatever needs to be done in the master bathroom, without undergoing too many structural changes. I appreciate all of your input!!
November 29, 2013 at 9:55AM   
Need a little help finishing my living room
I have been slowly updating our living room and could...
Need help with the shape and placement of my coffee table
Hi All. I am in extreme need of help! :( Hubby and...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
outdoor bench
i am looking for a great outdoor bench L-shape design....
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...