dianeliv
January 15, 2012 in Photo Questions
What is the color name and paint brand used on the ceiling and the walls? I always thought you had to use white paint on the ceiling. Also is that carpet or a rug on floor?
The Shabby Nest
Benjamin Moore's Hathaway Gold is similar to the wall color, and try BM's Hemlock for a similar ceiling color. Painting ceilings a color other than white can make a design "statement" and can add warmth and coziness to a room especially where the ceilings are quite high or vaulted as is the ceiling in this room.
January 15, 2012 at 5:21PM   
cindykupfer
Those are definitely not the colors! I just attempted to paint my bedroom using the suggested "similar" colors. In my opinion, they are not similar at all. The colors are so much more harsh than what is pictured here... I hope I can make use of them somewhere else in the house....
July 18, 2012 at 12:45PM   
Christine D
Hate to be a bummer, but I HATE that people keep posting, "it's very similar to..." That just won't work. Unless the original poster responds, I wish no one else would take a guess at it because it is a shot in the dark since lighting and everything else is in play when you look at it. Urrgh!
July 19, 2012 at 1:15PM     
ellag
Thank you Christine D!! I HATE that too!!! I think I will start asking what is the actual name of the color, maybe they will get it.
July 22, 2012 at 7:42PM     
cindykupfer
gosh! I was only posting so that people don't make a $150 mistake like I did! The actual colors are far from similar in any lighting.... That's what I want others to know! Hemlock is a very deep yet brightish blue and Hathaway Gold is VERY gold! Which you can tell from the samples... Can't explain why I actually purchased it and started to paint my walls! Yuck! :)
July 22, 2012 at 7:59PM   
ellag
So Sorry cindykupfer, my comments were not geared toward you. It seems as when someone ask what color the paint is someone else will always respond with "similar too" and I have seen that several times. It sounds like "similar too" cost you some money and that is why I would like to know the actual name of the color.
July 23, 2012 at 7:19AM     
Wow Great Place
To add to the discussion, a homeowner who just goes and buys the paint, even if the accurate color was given by the designer who posted the pic, is taking a huge risk.
Light conditions, computer monitor settings, and a hundred other factors can seriously alter the paint colors used, so painting without looking at a swatch of the paint in the actual space it will be used, and preferably buying a tester so they can actually apply the paint to the walls, is just a risk all around.
I'm sorry cindykupfer had this experience, but I would bet the lesson was invaluable! Hopefully others will take heed!
And I completely agree, a "similar to" answer is not worth a cent to anyone.
July 23, 2012 at 7:34AM     
Christine D
I guess my point is that you would be helped by STARTING with the correct colors and going from there. Of course, you don't just buy them, but it gives you the option to see exactly what was on those walls. I am just irritated by opening the answer to the "what color is on these walls?" question over and over again and it's always the same person making a guess. Just a waste of time.
July 23, 2012 at 7:40AM     
Wow Great Place
I hope the offenders stop this practice, as it really causes more damage than help. I have viewed some of those "similar to" posts, and frankly, many of them are totally off (based on what I am seeing on my screen!) and doing so hundreds of times, taking somewhat random guesses, is doing nothing but cause frustration.
July 23, 2012 at 7:46AM     
cindykupfer
yep! I definitely learned a huge lesson... always buy paint samples!!! I could tell from the paper samples that I didn't even like the colors... I can't explain why I went as far as to buy the paint! I have no talent in choosing colors... :) I settled on Vintage Grey by Valspar... Which I don't love, but had to get something up! (I attached a pic!)
I'm not on these sites very often, but have learned to go with your own instincts!
July 23, 2012 at 8:10AM     
ellag
You did a great job! I am looking for a blue/grey color and I am driving myself nuts trying to find a color I like. I have 4 samples that I am not really crazy about. Anybody have any "similar to" colors they would like to share? ..ha
July 23, 2012 at 8:20AM     
snfreemyer
Van Courtland Blue HC-145 from Benjamin Moore is a nice blue/grey color
July 25, 2012 at 11:13AM   
Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
CHristine, I agree with you...No one should state the color, unless they know exactly what it is,..As a designer, we all know colors are so different, and to have a homeowner hire a painter with the wrong color is quite an expense. So designer, when one " Asks what color is on the wall" please don't suggest....
September 27, 2012 at 4:51PM     
Sarah Stewart
Just painted my bedroom Benjamin Moore - Mt St Anne (3/4 strength). It is a very beautiful grey blue color. I got a couple of the big chips that BM offers and this was the best in my opinion.
March 20, 2013 at 2:22PM   
Need help for our kitchen
We are currently thinking of remodeling our kitchen...
Driveway appeal
I just finished pressure watching my driveway and would...
Looking for someting to go on the wall in my dining room
Looking for something that does not compete with the...
Please help with my lounge room
Hello! I'm needing some help with interior decorating,...
Hardwood not allowed according to pros for curved hallway
Currently have carpet which I hate in my upstairs hallway....