Dear Houzz Community: this site is fantastic, addictive and HILARIOUS.
maggielou362
Hi Everyone,
I have only recently discovered Houzz and I am addicted! At first I thought it was just a big fancy advertising forum for lots of exxy American stuff, and was just using it to drool over the impossibly perfect interiors while wasting my time during time off work. I was about to abandon the site because it was making me feel that my lovely little home in Australia was pretty ordinary, and I became a bit disillusioned with looking at all the lavish, sometimes OTT houses where the rich and famous might live. Then I got curious and signed in. What a surprise and a HOOT! Thank you for all the beautiful photos, great advice, including lots on how to love your home as it is and most of all the laughs. Being an Aussie I "get" most of Chookchook's comments, which I love reading. Am also starting to discover other frequent flyers like Margo (which is my name too, spelled the same way!), and Armygirl, looking forward to getting to know the other top commenters too. Thank you all for a lovely and funny site, from maggielou362 (another Margo)
Curt D'Onofrio
Welcome! After signing in, this site changed for the better also. I love it. At the top of the screen you'll see the menu choice Ideabooks. Have fun
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 28, 2013 at 8:59PM
olldroo
Welcome fellow Aussie, this definitely is a great site and once you have explored it all you will see that not everyone has the high $$ homes and interiors, in fact few of us do, we just aspire to have our homes look the best they possibly can. The trick to using this site is to look at the high end photos and see what you can take from them - colour mixing, pattern matching, room layouts, placing of artwork, even dressing a side table - it all adds up to creating that little professional edge to your home.

You will also notice a distinct waning of your social life as you spend more time socialising here than in the real world.

Of course you do realise we are all a bunch of sticky beaks too (only Aussies know that term) so photos of your home are mandatory.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 29, 2013 at 5:14PM
maggielou362
Thank you nasmijati and olldroo. When i get the hang of taking photos of my home I will post them. I'm not a huge fan of social media so i am no expert in taking photos from smartphones, nor do I use Facebook or Twitter (yes, I'm a Luddite) but I DO love good home design/decorating "pornography" so I will try to get up to speed on the techno stuff :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:19PM
olldroo
maggie - I couldn't even tell you how to post from a smartphone - I don't even have one, they are too smart for me. If you use Windows though, downloading photos is really easy, if I can do it, it is foolproof.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 29, 2013 at 6:38PM
maggielou362
Olldroo I have a smartphone, but I call it my dumbphone for obvious reasons. I will do as you suggest and download to PC and then upload to Houzz (see, you understand the talk, you know what I mean by download and upload. We're not as tech-ignorant as we think!) Have you come across an old definition list for computer illiterates that defines "upload" as something you do to a bale of hay and a ute?
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:46PM
olldroo
Yep, seen plenty of them Maggie, including upgrading a boyfriend to a husband. No one knows what a "ute" is anyway oh, and by the way we did have real poufs many years ago, I think they were spelled 'pouffe'. My other half bought a new smart TV - it was so clever it only programmed itself for Singapore TV programmes. Be warned too, you can only attach 4 photos at a time.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 29, 2013 at 6:59PM
maggielou362
OK, thanks for the tips. I remember my Nanna having LOVELY yellow vinyl pouffes when I was little. She pronounced it "poofay" to try and be posh, and probably to differentiate the footstools from gay men.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:03PM
olldroo
Then that spelling must have been right - that so takes me back to the 50s, I can remember a lot of people calling them that. Danish furniture style had come in then too and you didn't get new furniture, you got new "Danish" furniture. I doubt she would have known about gay men back then - they were all still in the closet.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 29, 2013 at 7:13PM
maggielou362
you are right about my other grandmother being naive, but my Nan had been around the traps a bit so i think her pronunciation was very deliberate, God bless her.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:23PM
olldroo
My mother's pronunciation of things wasn't just deliberate, she was always right, everyone else was ignorant.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 29, 2013 at 7:33PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Hello, our we digressing just a bit? Just wondering. Enjoy
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 29, 2013 at 8:20PM
maggielou362
Just a bit, sorry!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 8:25PM
maggielou362
No, don't delete, nasmijati. I love your poetry. Yes it IS addictive! I was also getting a little silly and addicted on the "tiring trends" discussion. I must go and do some housework, and you should get some sleep. Now go to bed!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 8:58PM
olldroo
Aunty Ez, you deleted your poetry before I had a chance to read it.!! I had to go shopping.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 9:21PM
olldroo
Curt, this is the Other discussion section, there is no digressing as we get to talk about anything and don't sidetrack on the more important dilemmas. Everyone is free to join in with anything of interest which makes it all the more fun, you just never know where the conversation will go next.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    November 29, 2013 at 9:31PM
olldroo
Nasmijati - hahaha you have been hanging around me too much. I've already resurrected the six white boomers - just in case everyone had finally got it out of their heads.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:20PM
maggielou362
Thank you and apologies, nasmijati. Post now deleted.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:31PM
chookchook2
Me Uggh. Me catch giant kangaroo in trap in ground. Giant kangaroo escape with me hanging on to its neck. Me go wild ride, get whiplash. Me think good idea . Lots of wild rides, charge lots of shells to young peoples .
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 1, 2013 at 3:47PM
nechamaj
Attaching photos from your iPhone is very easy. All you need to do is touch "add comment", write your comment in the box and then touch the "library" option. Your phone will open your camera roll and you just select the photo you want to include. You can do this at least three times for one comment. Your phone just switches by itself between your camera /photo roll and the comment you are in the middle of composing. When you are done, you need to hit "submit"...
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 1, 2013 at 3:47PM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 1, 2013 at 6:57PM
maggielou362
Olldroo and Chook, I think I'm slowly, gradually getting the hang of what NOT to post on Houzz! I have to remember that some are a bit sensitive to our brash Aussie ways and blunt sense of humour. Porch rockers and swings are lovely, as are plastic tablecloths.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:37PM
maggielou362
OMG I certainly would NOT like that, Nasmijati! Thanks for the tips :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:47PM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 1, 2013 at 10:14PM
chookchook2
Every house needs one
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 1, 2013 at 10:16PM
Caz Gee
G'day everybody, Caz checking in here from Melbourne, from the vast suburban wilderness that is the outer south eastern suburbs. I too am a Houzz lover - I feel as though I know so many of the people who post on here, even though I rarely post myself. Interestingly, I'm pretty sure that I can pick an Australian posting before the poster identifies themselves as such. It's something to do with the light in the pictures, and of course the language. Bedtime now for me - with Houzz on my ipad until i fall asleep!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 2:14AM
maggielou362
Chook I actually know someone who has a talking fish like that. It's simply divine, isn't it?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:35AM
maggielou362
Hi Caz, how funny that you can pick an Aussie post. I only started posting a couple of days ago and i think I may have already accidentally offended a few people! Maybe I should just sit quietly like you and learn something.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:57AM
maggielou362
Although i know I didn't offend nasmijati, she has been my own personal moderator. Thanks Nasmijati!
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:00AM
chookchook2
Our love of colour and awareness of passive solar issues like shade, have much to offer.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 3:02AM
maggielou362
Southern belles also know about shade from porch swings
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:24AM
chookchook2
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 3:27AM
maggielou362
Good evening Uggh. Can you ask Auntie Gert to make me a plastic lace tablecloth to go over the stone slab table please? The pouffe you are making for me will look good with my stone porch swing
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:57AM
chookchook2
What brand of coffee are we on and how much have we had!?!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 4:16AM
maggielou362
Just Aldi stuff, with a DASH of Tia Maria
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:19AM
chookchook2
Going to bed, night night.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:59AM
armygirl1987
I just saw this but thanks for the shout out maggilou362, not perfect but I act like I am. I am not good at grammar or is it grammer but I do the best that I can. Here to help.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 12:26PM
maggielou362
Thanks armygirl, you can spell it however you want, i know what you are saying. Keep acting like you're perfect then one day you will be. As they say, fake it till you make it :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:58PM
chookchook2
This better not be the wrong pic again, iPad.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:28PM
chookchook2
Hooray! New kitten run. Still have to put shelters at each end. Suggestions welcome, one must be waterproof.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:30PM
maggielou362
Good job, Chookwire. Love how Kitty seems to be looking down, possibly at dog, saying "sucks to be you, I have a view". Some shadecloth perhaps? Will think about ideas for waterproof end.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:47PM
maggielou362
BTW is there a set of "rules" somewhere on what you should and shouldn't do on Houzz? Will people be offended by the latest picture of myself that I uploaded on my profile?
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:51PM
Caz Gee
no.. but i think you could do with a hint of Hog's Bristle ... Just sayin.... ;)
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 4:59PM
Caz Gee
Chook chook - what about a plastic tub of some kind? turned upside down with a hole cut in the side?
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:00PM
maggielou362
LOL Caz. As you can see by my photo I am meticulous about waxing. No hogs bristle for me!
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:04PM
Caz Gee
probably should also make sure your carpet matches the drapes......
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 5:09PM
maggielou362
Now I am REALLY LOL.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:10PM
chookchook2
Love the ideas for kitty, keep em coming, she goes in when I do the school run. To stop the Jack Russels and 10 yr old cat getting at her.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:11PM
chookchook2
Houzz do have rules printed, Terms of use, down below. Most people turn a blind eye but there is the occasional report.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 2, 2013 at 5:14PM
chookchook2
Also foxes and eagles/ hawks ? around here.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:15PM
maggielou362
OK, I have read the Houzz fineprint and have now removed my photo (because some chick called Cate reckons it's a photo of her. She can't even spell KATE!) Apparently I am also not allowed to use spiders, robots or packet sniffers according to the Acceptable Use Policy. B*GGER.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:37PM
chookchook2
Don't put spiders, I'm seriously Arachnophobic! It governs some decisions I make with my house.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:50PM
chookchook2
Maggielou, where are you?
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 4, 2013 at 2:22AM
chookchook2
Hmmm, disappeared. Off with Fred?
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 4, 2013 at 2:47AM
maggielou362
Yes, with you, Fred, mforr et al designing a new random houzz. See you there.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 3:05AM
mefor
What kind of decisions Chook?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 4:18AM
chookchook2
Light coloured ceilings inside and out, no canopy over my bed, avoid trees and large shrubs touching the house, don't have bed against windows where they tend to come in, check behind the tapestries before I go to bed. Had a huge Huntsman drop on my face as soon as I woke up , on holidays ,when I was a teen.
    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 5, 2013 at 4:04PM
chookchook2
Wottup, Maggielou?
    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 8, 2013 at 3:39AM
maggielou362
Am back, Chookchook. Lost sight of the ball, also sensed a bit of angst/tension on some postings. Not to worry, still loving Houzz. i had a huntsman drop on my face too when I was about 11, playing tether tennis batting the Venetian blind cord above my head when i was lying in my bed and a bloody spider dropped down on my head. Why do they drop on our faces? Have a great Christmas
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 3:29AM
mefor
Merry Christmas maggielou :)
May the spiders be banished for the holidays!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 24, 2013 at 3:31AM
maggielou362
Hi mforr and Merry Christmas. Peace, tranquility and spider freedom to you and yours too :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 3:34AM
mefor
;D
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 24, 2013 at 3:35AM
mefor
This is chooks cookie jar thread, can't remember if you've been there, go visit it, sure chooky will drop in today :)
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/759350/Cookie-jars-and-cookies
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 24, 2013 at 3:38AM
maggielou362
Ok thanks mforr
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 3:41AM
chookchook2
No mforr!! She'll eat all the cookies!! Oh. Oh. What have you done?? ( tosses hair).
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 24, 2013 at 6:01AM
mefor
I added some Christmas tree cookies, we'll have plenty, I know the cookie fairy, remember? ;D
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 24, 2013 at 6:14AM
chookchook2
Hey mforr! It is my New Years resolution to call you all by your autocorrect names next year. Yours is Morris!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by maggielou362    December 24, 2013 at 6:42AM
mefor
Morris the cat?

1 Like    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 7:02AM
mefor
Or Morris Day?

1 Like    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 7:06AM
chookchook2
Ask the all knowing autocorrect. I don't know whose it was, but it changed someone to Winnebago!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 8:11AM
chookchook2
Bubbas and I bumped Random.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 8:12AM
chookchook2
And I bumped my carol thread.
chookchook2
Hello!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 9:10AM
Please Help ASAP with Decision...
Hi, we just put in new Crema Bordeaux granite countertops....
lorricav
Need ideas!
This is my "formal" living room. I would love some...
jodiezerega
Help I am desperate! Need help with living and dining room.
We recentely purchased a home that needed a lot of...
lisaeran22
What would you do with these shelves and this space?! Go crazy!
This is a beautiful 130 year old house. Redone but...
Nicole Gibson
Help make our kitchen look lighter!
Hi everyone, my fiancé and I just bought this house,...
Thao
Black is Beautiful – Designing with Black Sofa
A black leather sofa is a bold and naturally stylish....
Locus Habitat