Tiring Trends

decoenthusiasteNovember 29, 2013
I think the "pet peeves" dilemma hit a lot of nerves and folks got things off their chests; how about airing our feelings about trends we're ready to see move on? My list includes Chevron, Moroccan trellis and Revere Pewter! What's on your list, Houzzers?
PLUSH Wool Luxury Chevron Rug Navy Blue · More Info
Large Trellis Rug in Gray · More Info
dclostboy
Gold antlered mooses
29 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 9:44AM
mfwolfe
Skinny jeans. Oh oops. Different chat board. I have a problem with the whole idea of "trends". When a person follows trends they are condemned to redecorate every two or three years or else they will be behind the trend. Nice if you can afford it but what a lot of useless consumption. Trends are created to keep us shopping and to make us think that decorating is actually something important in life. I know that sounds like blasphemy with this group but the whole point of putting together a living place is to have something that makes you happy and makes the people you have visit feel comfortable. If gold plated moose antlers make you happy so be it.
75 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 9:54AM
smartin1
French industrial....sacrebleu! Enough already!
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:00AM
Lots of the ‘beachy” stuff…like starfish, cheap reproductions of sailing vessels displayed in bay windows, trays of shells, hydrangea prints, buoys hanging on walls, etc. There are so many other great ways to get the cottage look.
22 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:04AM
Trends come and go. But in furn, I don't see why you wouldn't go with a trend, if it makes you happy. Sure certain prints can get old. But, ok, who cares it's not that expensive to change out panels on windows, or a rug. Even bedding comes and goes. Mix it up. Change it up. Why would you want to keep the same tired look for 15 years. There is a lot of fun and interesting looks. Try one, it just might make you feel good. .? If I never saw another brown sofa I would be happy. Beige anything is sooo boring. Bring color into your life. It might change the way you look at life.
29 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:08AM
Bill Yockey
Lack of personal taste/style, which is why I love this quote "Good taste is better than bad taste, but bad taste is better than no taste." -- Arnold Bennett
22 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:14AM
handymam
Painted fireplaces, stainless steel appliances and Revere pewter.
12 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:14AM
midmodfan
My prediction: granite and subway tile.
24 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:15AM
Amy Cali
2nd the granite
15 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:17AM
2nd the subway tile, and amen on the Revere pewter, handymam!
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:20AM
handymam
I am tired of trends classifying whole lots of people as being "out" or "in" because if we follow that, we are no longer creative, and we are no longer individuals. So many of the people that come on houzz ask for help with the same "dilemmas," when really they are asking for people to find them the things that are currently in fashion.
35 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:24AM
Handyman, I totally agree. They see pics in magazines, or TV design shows, then want that. All the design shows, use trending items, because that is what designers do. If people didn't want to redo a room or do a remodel.and, just. Stayed with the same look for 20 years, the shows and the designers would be out of work.
12 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:28AM
handymam
Or they won't buy a house because somehow they now think everything should already be done in the current trend in a starter home!

Oops, was that a gripe?
21 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:31AM
Mark
I am sooooo tired of seeing flatscreens above fireplaces.
61 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:32AM
High-contrast, multicolored glass mosaic tiles. SO tired of those.
29 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:35AM
Trend of monster TV's. - a wrong sized TV with nowhere to go and nowhere to arrange the furniture. Anyone can go to a site like Best Buy and see the charts for ideal viewing distances on both standard and HDTV sets. Bigger is not always better - match the TV to the room. If you want a movie theater, dedicate a media room to the TV monster.
26 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:35AM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
You mean, "size doesn't matter"? ;)
13 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:39AM
Never did, Daybreak!!!
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:43AM
yoboseiyo
ugh, huge TVs that are in rooms that are TOO SMALL for them.

i don't need to see the actor's pores, thanks. >:/
15 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:47AM
Has nothing to do with size of TV but it's called HD. You can't hide anything.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:49AM
It's kinda like seeing photos of bathrooms with the lid up, yuk!!!
15 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:49AM
handymam
Better the lid up than the seat up!
14 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 10:56AM
When will some of those cool Japanese toilets start becoming a trend over here?
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:01AM
Ditto gray and granite! I think this could be just me but I'm also over the built in bookcases flanking a fireplace.
13 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:04AM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
I hope never. When we become incapable of wiping our own cans we'll be in worse shape than we presently are... . Don't care a fig about toilet lids, never use ours (too many pets, maybe?).
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:04AM
handymam
I am with you Darzy! Those bookcases can make for one almost unusable wall sometimes.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:08AM
bubblyjock
Stainless steel appliances. FUGLEE. Grey walls. Multi-shades of beige backsplash glass tiles.

"Hand-scraped" hardwood floors. As if any 19th century flooring chappie in his right mind would have EVER left them looking so badly scraped!!! And they're going to be a nightmare to re-finish, when the time comes, which it will.
15 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:12AM
arubalime
Mirrored furniture.....
26 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:14AM
m3459
Glass tile backsplashes and all those pale blue wall colors that are so-ooooo hard to get right.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:19AM
PirateFoxy
I really don't understand why everyone loves subway tile so much. With the exception of some of the unusual glass ones, it unfailingly reminds me most of public restrooms in train stations and things. Ick.

Granite has been around for quite a while, though - I feel like the exact pattern of stone people like varies a lot, but the material itself seems to stick around. I far prefer it to something like a tiled counter top. (From a cleaning perspective - all those grout lines!)
28 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:35AM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
It's easy to install! and it has a familiar, uh, "classic" look.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:42AM
Mark
I think I'm pretty close to not wanting to see ikat for a while.
25 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 11:53AM
I still like IKAT - maybe because I haven't seen it over used too much, YET!
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:03PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I like chevron, ikat and subway tile. I don't care what is in or out. I buy what I like.
53 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:06PM
printesa
I'm not into trends..if l like it, I get it. I'm actually at the other end of the spectrum; if something becomes very popular, I don't want it anymore. I like unique things that fits my personality.
28 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:08PM
indianpatti
Words as art "eat" in the kitchen .. "dream" in the bedroom and taxidermy (fake sends the same, bad message!)
59 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:09PM
anne dee
faux studded upholstery.
terrible!
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:12PM
coco1019
I don't see what's wrong with liking trends. I couldn't stand to have the same things in my house for years on end. Buy a few classic pieces and accent with trends.

Paint, rugs, curtains are all easy to change up.

I would hate to wear the same clothes for years also. Put the money in nice, classic pieces that won't go out of style and then change up accessories and shoes.

It's kind of daunting to come to a site for help to see so many people complaining about what other people decorate with.

I say do what you love and can live with. These others don't live in your home.
65 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:12PM
crnaskater
White Shaker kitchen cabinets, but haven't yet found an alternative for my small kitchen.....
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:13PM
Ah, but if a poster asks for advice from professional designers and ignore or dismiss the ideas, why did they ask? Perhaps to validate their purchases and personal style? If all designers had to say was "buy and do what you love" this is your home to live in, we wouldn't need designers at all. Part of a designer's job is to nudge people out of their "comfort zone" to give them a stylish home they love.
30 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:42PM
Thank you Darzy could not had said it better.
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:45PM
PirateFoxy
@Darzy - I ask because I find it useful to make sure I'm not thinking in a 'rut' without realizing it. But having gotten suggestions or advice, I may well decide that actually I'm quite happy with the way I was thinking even if it is a rut, so I'm going to do it that way anyway. :)

I don't really see the point of doing something JUST to be out of my comfort zone or to be fashionable - but designers and other professionals are much more on top of new products and products that are becoming more accessible because of the nature of their work so perhaps there's something I'm just not aware of that they are that I would like or feel fits in to my mental vision.

I am FAR more likely to be willing to give something a try with less expensive options - replacing some throw pillow covers is a much different proposition than getting a sofa recovered because I went with a fad I wasn't sure I loved, you know?

I do have a bit of a contrary streak, though. It's annoying me that everyone is using gray at the moment because I've been wanting to use it more for years and just didn't have a suitable property for it (light levels, other decorating style, etc.) and now I do and it's all popular and I don't want to look like I'm copying. But oh well. If it's the right color for the room, it's the right color.
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 1:38PM
Barbie
Darzy, I know I post and assume others do because we want advice from other Houzzer's, not necessarily from the 'professional designers' on here. I have found on here that the title doesn't carry much clout when it comes to ideas at times. Most come across as thinking their's is the only idea we should consider.
15 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:04PM
coco1019
"Part of a designer's job is to nudge people out of their "comfort zone" to give them a stylish home they love."

I agree and frequently, part of being stylish is being on trend.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:08PM
coco1019
"Ah, but if a poster asks for advice from professional designers and ignore or dismiss the ideas, why did they ask?"

I guess by saying do what you love I mean that even if you like something "trendy" don't just discount it because some people on a message board are saying it's tiring or their pet peeves.

I, for one, love grey. Many say they're over it, but I'm going to stick with it anyways because I like it. But, I do need help with other things in the room. That's why I ask. Not for someone to come and say, "no, this is so overdone, let's steer you this way."
13 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:13PM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
Decorators, designers, noses (and other specific things) are like opinions... everyone has one! I think the important thing to keep in mind is that different people look at posed queries differently and from their own perspective.

I am very traditional with respect to window treatments. I tend to take the "long view" and consider that the window treatments will be in place for many years (mine have been in place for 20 yrs.). Not everyone thinks that way and I understand that many of you recoil and instantly think, "jeez! they must be really 'dated'.". Perhaps they are! but I love the fabric and I'm OK with the fade on leading edges.

I love grey, too. I've always loathed beige and camel! But I delivered a handsome, perfectly fitted slipcover for a sofa last week that was rendered in a color that I would NEVER have considered! Didn't matter. MY job was to fit the slipcover, fabricate it, and deliver/install it. It looked great.

So, when you pose queries, understand that people will reply with things that may surprise you. Noses, my friends, are like opinions... we all have one!
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:46PM
Although I'm tired of chevron rugs, if a client said they were changing everything in the space EXCEPT the chevron rug, I'd work with it. Ours is the only industry where we don't adhere to adage "The customer is always right." When you're paid to be creative and innovative, you tend to get to thinking "you're right" and it isn't always the case. FLEX!
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:48PM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
Even if it isn't what you'd like to see done for the "big picture" sometimes you have to work with what you have! And, bearing that in mind, sometimes it's best to play chess, and "set up the next move". Discuss the "big picture" and help the customer segue gracefully into the long term "master plan".
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:55PM
armygirl1987
But isn't this what makes Houzz unique. It could be that the poster did not like what the designer posted. Designers do not have to post to a thread. If a poster was to like every single tip then where would they be just as confused as the beginning, I agree with if something appeal to you then you should feel comfortable to get it even if it is a trend. Sometimes designer are set in their ways what they think the vision should be that they completely ignore the poster even though I agree at times the designer is there to nudge on way or another.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:58PM
armygirl1987
I love trends except low rider jeans.
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:02PM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
Coming from an alteration/repair background I assure you that "low rider" (aka hip-huggers) ought to be eschewed by about 90% of the jean wearing population. Most women are too fat/out of shape to pull them off with grace. No one looks fatter than they do when the tops of the back pockets of their ill-fitting jeans ride below the widest point of their hips.

(just sayin')
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:13PM
armygirl1987
@Daybreak-That was my point.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:14PM
smartin1
If I say, "I just bought a new sofa that I adore and I need help finding a paint color that might be great with it.", I want a paint color, not a post about the ugliness of said couch.
A professional knows how to work with what someone loves and design a better space around it. And they know how to make the person feel great about stepping outside their box and trying something new.
So, pros and ams alike, feel free to offer up positive advice and words of wisdom. I'm grateful for it!
29 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:17PM
printesa
Speaking of jeans or any pants for that matter, I can't stand anything that sits at the waist. I'm not for those that are very low, but it has to be below the waistline.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:19PM
PirateFoxy
@armygirl1987 and @Daybreak - Oddly, it was only once the low rider trend started that I was able to find jeans that actually fit me properly with the way I'm built. I don't actually wear the low low ones, but my natural waist is pretty high so before the low trend I had a horrible time finding jeans that fit nicely because the rise and placement of the waistband just never lined up properly. With lower jeans at least they don't think you're going to nip in RIGHT above your hips so I can get stuff that isn't too bad.

None of mine are so low as to commit the pocket fit issue, though. :)
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:25PM
armygirl1987
Okay then pirate for you. I love low rider jeans. LOL
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:26PM
PirateFoxy
@armygirl1987 - I am fine with disliking the really ridiculously low ones, though. And also those skirts that have less coverage than some belts. If you are 'dressed' for public I should not have to work to NOT see your underpants. (See also: tights are not actually trousers. No, really, even if it says 'opaque' on the packaging.)
14 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:30PM
armygirl1987
Especially when they have on black and red. Lol
    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:32PM
smartin1
Best quote I heard all week about short skirts..."We know you're a girl. You don't have to prove it to us." ;)
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:42PM
You misunderstand me thinks! The "nudging out of the comfort zone" is adding color, style and pattern for those who fear design decisions so choose everything beige- their comfort zone. And, if "trendy" is the goal, a good designer can make it look wonderful. Gray is still beautiful, subway tile (not a trend to me, it's been around forever) mosaics still have a place, when in a cohesive design.

My "I'm over gray" is more like I am over the many, many suggestions (including me) of gray walls. I'd like to see some other beautiful options suggested. :)
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 3:42PM
happyasaclam
I'm devastated! I love my Revere Pewter. Oh, the agony of knowing some of my most beloved Houzzers have tired of it. Oh, well. I shall survive. The low ride jeans - I dislike them intensely. But only because I can't fit my fanny in them anymore....... :D
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 4:38PM
lol happyasaclam! Revere Pewter is beautiful! I just think we can expand the ideas and include other color suggestions - along with gray! And, I wish I could wear low ride jeans...it's "Mom" jeans for me. :)
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 4:56PM
dclostboy- this bad boy is on an upward trend....;) talk to the hand;P
The Glitz Resin Moose Head by White Faux Taxidermy · More Info
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 4:59PM
dclostboy
@margo: I have one hanging (sans gold) in my powder room above the toilet.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:03PM
smartin1...I agree with you to try to keep on topic of the question. But, if someone says I just bought this furniture and having a hard time arranging in my space. It's so big! Should we be honest and say it's too big and should be returned or just offer arrangement ideas? I think polite honesty is doing the poster a favor.
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:04PM
I just bought the gold earred one above and am prepping him above a small electric fireplace in my sunroom. I need to make him a boxwood wreath and add some harlequin ribbon. He will be my Mackenzie Childs knockoff;)
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:05PM
saratogaswizzlestick
At least the trend of the real stuffed moose head is still not in vogue. An all white moose is fine, the gilded moose I don't go for but it sounds like Margo can make it work.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:12PM
OH MY, the golden antlers are what made me giddy lol
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:14PM
sondramartina
I think interior designers and Houzz "worms" :) are more likely to get tired of trends(grays,ikat,chevron,sisal rugs etc) than people who have other interests or don't follow decorating trends . I have friends who haven't change a thing in their homes for decades. They won't get tired of chevron :)
13 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:22PM
wyndyacre
Sunburst mirrors.
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:25PM
sweetpea627
anything that has to do with Owls....so over it. White subway tile will never go out of style. It's timeless, classic, modern, retro, traditional can be used with so many trends and styles today. Over glass mosiac tile and very dark wood floors.
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:29PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I adore sunburst mirrors.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:30PM
anne dee
has this started trending? ;-0
13 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:31PM
@sondrmartina. I was thinking the same thing! "Tiring Trends" is relative. An old trend to some is brand new to homeowners who do not follow HGTV or Houzz. :) Gray, ikat, subway glass tiles may be new and exciting to some and can still be used beautifully.
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:31PM
designpolice
I don't need a sign on the wall (no matter how artistic) to tell me I'm in the CUCINA, to EAT, and especially to BREATHE. This trend should die now. FAMILY, LOVE, FAITH, LIVE, etc. sound a bit preachy. Then there are the signs that state the family creed i.e. In this family we ..... If it were really true, the family members wouldn't need a sign on the wall to remind them.
Please don't scold me for being negative. That's the request of this thread.
31 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:32PM
smartin1
Lol I have a family member that bought a gorgeous home 6 years ago and hasn't hung a curtain, picture, fribble, whatnot, doodad or tchotchke in the entire time. Beautiful display niches that are empty. Alarm bells go off in my head every time I walk in.

And Darcy, I 100% agree with you, please don't think I don't. I just think that a good professional can do that without making a person feel stupid. I think it's my Southern Raisin', "Darlin', bless your sweet soul but I think that couch may be just a tad too big for little ole you. We need somethin' a little more delicate to show off those pretty, fine-boned cheeks." :)
14 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:33PM
lol smartin1...Totally agree!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:56PM
maggielou362
Oh Dear! We just finished a new bathroom for my husband ( he has the en suite in the bedroom, I use the main bathroom) with SUBWAY TILES and beautiful little GREY and black mosaic glass tiles as a feature OOPS!. Never mind, I still like it. On the subject of words as decor, Designpolice, to each their own, but I am not a fan. My daughter and I have a running joke when we see them, wondering why each particular word is chosen . We try to come up with more random words that make no sense, such as "metabolic" or "some" or "opened". Sometimes we suggest words that are not exactly polite or politically correct, but would make us laugh if someone had them on their wall. BTW, why are the words people use to decorate always nouns or present-tense verbs?
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 5:57PM
Daybreak Workroom LLC
I'm sorry, Amy.. I read your post but it was too disjointed to make any real sense to me. I believe I've gleaned the jist of what you wanted me to understand, but I'm not entirely sure.

As for proper fit and proportion with respect to sartorial "standards"... sigh... it would seem that no one cares any more a fig for that than I do for toilet seat covers in an "up" position!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:02PM
happyasaclam
Lol, Darzy. It's mom jeans for me too. And for my gray (hair) it's Clairol Sparkling Sherry :) That's been my longest lasting trend! I'm am so glad I found Houzz. I have learned so much! Thanks guys:)))
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:10PM
smartin1
Y'all need to stop before this 48 yr old ends up in skinny, chervron, low riders with the word ADEQUATE painted in Revere Pewter on my wall.
36 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:14PM
I once had a beautiful bowl that had "Salad" embossed on the bottom. A friend joked and asked if I needed to know or be reminded what I just ate out of the bowl. Now, when I see baby's name above the crib I wonder if parents need to be reminded what they named the new baby? (I know, I can't help it).
16 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:17PM
Amy Cali
Huh Daybreak? Did you mean to say Amy? I don't think so because I haven't said much of anything on this thread.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:28PM
olldroo
What I hate most about fads and trends is that it severely limits the choices one has. I found this especially frustrating last year and earlier this year when I was trying to renovate my home and buy all new furnishings but I was limited to "trending" colours. I knew what I wanted and what was right for my home but the choices weren't there. It took me 10 months to buy a lounge setting just waiting for the right coloured fabric to become available. Other compromises I had to make meant I just did not get the look I really wanted.

I do agree too with Houzzers not properly reading dilemmas, it is so insensitive telling people to ditch their new lounge in favour of another colour because that is the commenter's choice. It is impossible to accurately suggest colour schemes when one is not in the actual room and can assess all the variances that can make or break a colour scheme, all we can do is assess the poster's likes and dislikes, the look and feel the poster wants to achieve, the light and aspect of the room and make suggestions to give the poster ideas they may not have considered.
14 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:33PM
maggielou362
I just googled "Revere Pewter", expecting to find images of some beautiful antique silverware, because I was wondering why on earth so many (presumably) Americans could have negative opinions on Revere pewter, and why such lovely treasures could be called a "trend". I then find out that It's a bloody PAINT COLOUR! Obviously we don't have it in Australia! Our equivalent overused colour is probably one called "Hogs Bristle". Nothing against Hogs Bristle, it just seems to be VERY popular.
17 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:33PM
CDR Design
I see I am late to the party! Smartin1 you are hilarious.

Okay, I don't mind Revere Pewter because it is a paint color, so a little different, but my list is similar:

chevron
ikat
tv's over fireplaces
rugs over carpets

and…….

"Should I paint my kitchen cabinets white?"

and…..don't forget

poufs, which are nothing but very large marshmallows that I wish would go "pouf"
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:35PM
maggielou362
"Pouf" in Australia means something different!
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:38PM
Lol, it means that in U.S. Too.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:39PM
maggielou362
smartin1 be sure to post us a picture of you in your new jeans.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:41PM
happyasaclam
LOL, maggielou. I think I have the Sherwin Williams equivalent of Hogs Bristle and Hogs Bristle 1/2 strength in my upstairs! :))
olldroo
Maggielou, I tried to be "trendy" after seeing some photos on Houzz I loved and used a similar shade to Hogs Bristle called Kangaroo Pouch in my bedroom. I don't think I need to describe what it looked like. My bedroom is now green.
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:49PM
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
I still love Ikats...especially when done in several colors vs. monochromatic. Never liked TV's over fireplaces...I like them hidden in mirrors (wish that would trend!) I wish the whole "Pottery Barn" off white slipcovers with dark wood pieces and sisal rug thing would blow up!! And those horrible "industrial" wagon like coffee tables with wheels...ugh! Agree on the pouf marshmallow analogy...they are just cheap substitutes for real chairs. Fine for a college dorm, but that's where it should end.
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:51PM
@PirateFoxy...Your comment reminds me what my husband likes to say when he sees a "skirt no bigger than a belt"..."Look! I can see what she had for breakfast!"
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:54PM
solincia
I'm tired of seeing furniture pieces that look very uncomfortable to sit in... Is your bum and back made of wood? No.... I don't get it. If anyone invites me to sit in a metal flat bottom chair I'll ask for a pillow. I don't understand why anyone would want a garden stool/chair in the dining room, but that's just me.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:56PM
Revere Pewter, MCM, animal prints and companies who push their shower curtains on Houzz Ideabooks.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:58PM
And 65 billion throw pillows on a love seat.
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:58PM
olldroo
Darzy, I always loved Patsy's comment on Absolutely Fabulous - "the world is your gynaecologist"
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:01PM
solincia
And I'm not going to lie, I'm annoyed that chesterfields became a trend. I've always loved them as they give me that warm dark and smokey someone hand me a cognac and cigarette kind of feeling! Oh well...c'est la vie!
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:03PM
olldroo
Solincia - anyone with metal flat bottom chairs obviously doesn't have arthritis ....................YET!!
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:03PM
maggielou362
Charleee, what is MCM?
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:04PM
mid century modern
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:05PM
olldroo
I don't think we have that here maggie.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:06PM
maggielou362
Solincia, chesterfields are timeless, you keep yours and enjoy your cognac and cigarette for many years to come.
6 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:06PM
olldroo
I'd just like the cognac - gave up the cancer sticks.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:08PM
solincia
I gave up smoking in the house, maybe I could start the porch-chesterfield trend.. Tee hee
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:10PM
Lisa Cleaveland
Pphhjoueasdfgjfj
    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:14PM
olldroo
It is actually brown maggie but with the length of time the joey spends in there, I wouldn't want to put my hand in.
    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:17PM
maggielou362
Then you could also start a trend of having those double swinging seat thingies with little roofs in your living rooms, solincia. Please refrain from spitting your tobacco from the porch swing inside, though.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:18PM
happyasaclam
I laugh when I read someone gushing over their recent purchase of a "fabulous MCM!" home. What they purchased is somebody's starter home that was considered contemporary, possibly modern when it was built..... Why did the sellers put it on the market? It was becoming a maintenance pain in the ****. :))
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:18PM
maggielou362
If the MCM houses in USA are like our post-war knock-up fibros in Australia, you are so right, happyasaclam
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:21PM
Weren't the MCM homes also known as flat-tops?
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:22PM
happyasaclam
What was that again, Lisa Cleaveland?
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:22PM
olldroo
Maybe need to add soft maggie??

There are so many names for home styles in the US I'm still trying to get my head around them. Trust me, they weren't all fibro, I grew up in a brick one with Danish furniture and gold vinyl poofays.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:28PM
happyasaclam
charleee, I think the definition is expanding. lol. It started out as the "flat-top" type house and now includes just about anthing from the post war to the mid '70's cookie cutter subdivision homes. Every other street you would see a house just like yours except that the floor plan was flipped. I'm not a fan, as you can tell! :)))
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:28PM
olldroo
Charleee, we had butterfly roofs as well on fibro. I think they are making a comeback.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:29PM
olldroo
We had spec builders from the late 50s who each had something identifying about their homes. You can still drive down streets today, identifying the builders of homes.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:31PM
Amy Cali
McMansions
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:31PM
happyasaclam
olldroo, My in-laws had the danish modern furniture too in their now MCM. It was very well made. They are still using it in their new home :))
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:32PM
Elizabeth Reilly
I can't believe it, but I think I'm already sick of the Pottery Barn look before I've even put it in my remodel yet. May need to do some re-planning.
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:34PM
maggielou362
Ooooh, you must have been rich, Olldroo! Brick, with Danish furniture, and poofays to boot! Ours was fibro, it had a flattish roof, but I do recall the butterfly roofs. Mum had this weird, random pattern on the lino tiles in the kitchen. I hated it but it would be very stylish these days.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:36PM
olldroo
Happy, ours lasted forever too, it was finally laid to rest at the same time as my mother as no one wanted it. Says a lot for how things were made way back then.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:36PM
olldroo
No, maggie we only rented, took my parents 20 years before they finally bought it, complete with the dunny out the back.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:40PM
maggielou362
Elizabeth, I agree. Pottery Barn has just arrived in Australia, one shop in Bondi Junction (Sydney). Went and had a look, but there was not one thing that really grabbed or iinspired me, as I had seen it all before online or in magazines. Still lovely stuff, so if you like it, go for it. But I understand your feelings, it can all look a little bit jaded and ubiquitous sometimes.
olldroo
Elizabeth, don't say that, Pottery Barn has just arrived here - unfortunately too far away for me to shop at.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:41PM
olldroo
Maggie they had gorgeous cushions I wanted but for $64 had me thinking twice. Saw them a couple of weeks ago online and on special for $24. Makes you wonder.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:43PM
maggielou362
Ours was outside the back door, olldroo. Still attached to the house, but you had to unlock the back door in the dark and across the back steps towards the laundry. Very moderne for the time though, because it was a FLUSHING yellow porcelain toilet with black Bakelite seat, unlike some of our other neighbours who had to wait for the nightsoil man to empty the dunny.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:45PM
maggielou362
Olldroo BUY THEM! Keep your eye on their website, because I have a sneaking suspicion that they may have a few more things go on special in the future. It IS lovely stuff, but as I said, nothing there really caught my attention as something new and different.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:49PM
olldroo
Maggie, you are bringing back too many memories - Bakelite, I had totally forgotten that stuff and of course the pink, yellow, blue and green bathroom fittings were a statement in themselves. We only had common old white. Our toilet was under the roofline of the house but you had to walk right around the back of the house to get to it and outdoor lighting was not heard of then.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:51PM
olldroo
Maggie, I actually found what I wanted locally so that suited me better. No keen on online shopping when I haven't seen products.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:52PM
futrovsky
tufted headboards. ikat anything. "industrial chic." deconstructed furniture.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:57PM
maggielou362
Futrovsky I don't really like some industrial chic because I remember when some of the items were in use as they were originally designed. Thinking here of old metal furniture, in particular steel hospital trolleys and aluminium/rusty steel school lockers. Too many negative memories for this old girl!
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 8:02PM
Elizabeth Reilly
Oldroo, the PB stores are abundant where I am and while they are nice to visit, everything is available on line. Their line needs a few more surprises in it for me to keep holding on. All of their styles are so predictable now.
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 8:08PM
Agree, Elizabeth. PB became the go to store, because it offered the Crate and Barrel look for less. Everyone bought the same white slipcovered sofa and those wood coffee tables with the glass tops. Nothing wrong there, except all houses were looking the same.

Maybe that is why we are all over stuff…everything is redundant.

Roo, PB is great for many things. The bedding is nice, as are many of the lighting fixtures. If you purchase a slip covered piece, don’t buy the brushed twill. It never looks good. Always wrinkled and saggy….: < (

Another misconception, IMO, is the use of the word of neutral. Neutral does not need to be beige or gray. Neutral should mean more like flexible or impartial…a color which can be coxed into going in many directions
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:36AM
armygirl1987
@Daybreak- wanted you to know that I agree with what you said about jeans not fitting. @
Amy- agree that he was talking to me. But all comments are funny and so enlightening.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:58AM
I was going to veer off onto another topic, but posted a new thread “what would you do if you could start over?” Elizabeth says she may rethink her PB selections. I am wondering what I should take or leave when we move again.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 6:39AM
designpolice
Chalkboard painted walls in the kitchen or kid's room. Causes constant chalk dust on the floor. Make a paper shopping list you can take with you to the store and give those children some art supplies!
Also clutter stuck on the refrigerator. It just looks so messy.
15 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 6:42AM
happyasaclam
designpolice, I agree about the chaulkboard paint. What a mess! Some of the color chaulk can't be vacuumed out of carpet. It has to cleaned out. arg!! I was flabbergasted when we were looking for a house to find one that had little signs in chaulkboard paint on the doors that said kitchen, bathroom, etc. Way too cutsie for me :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:17AM
ruthmand
So glad the HOT trend from a year or so ago of having a chandelier in every room seems to have gone cold finally! In the meantime cold gray rooms have gotten HOT!

Oh, and please don't tell me again just how cozy your gray room is - glad you are happy with it.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:50AM
GARY FINLEY, ASID
TRENDS ARE TRENDS FOR A REASON........Trends are fun for the moment, however when one is investing in an interior space they should consider the length of time before the next REDO. I never yeild to trends.......if the are IN they will be OUT.. so find what works for the space and meets with your person taste. Trends are COSTLY
12 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:58AM
CDR Design
……or buy only the trendy items that you can afford or desire to change out annually. For most people, a chartreuse chevron pillow falls into that category. A chartreuse chevron sofa does not.
21 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:21AM
armygirl1987
I also wonder if being a designer or interior decorator/color consultant is a trend for some.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:45AM
armygirl1987
Question-who comes up with the trends, consumer, designers.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 12:40PM
Pantone does it for color - and then you find the store shelves full of their picks while your own preferred color choices fade away until new colors trend again. Then you hope to find the one you have in your head is back on the current palette.
7 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 3:47PM
Barnhart Gallery
My top dislike for a long time has been the word "art" many of you mention. If one more "décor" product tells me to "Live, Love, Laugh," I'm going to "Die, Hate, Cry."
(Which is what I'm silently thinking every time I see that one.)

I don't even like a "Welcome" mat or sign -- a space should be able to say that without words.
25 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 4:26PM
solincia
@Barnhart Gallery my favorite phrase of all time, used frequently when I used to do professional picture framing--"great art won't match your sofa"!!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 4:29PM
armygirl1987
@Barnhart Gallery-I do have live, love, laugh in my house but in small doses in candles.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:07PM
quercus2
I didn't realize Chevron was a trend and I don't know what Moroccan trellis and Revere Pewter is, but these silly trends can go anytime: 1. busy, blotchy granite counters, especially when paired with busier glass mosaic tiles. 2. 1970s-inspired orange, turquoise and brown color palettes. It was ugly then and is still ugly. 3. "Rubbed bronze" faucets.
9 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:24PM
PirateFoxy
@quercus2 - Omg, my parents' kitchen was back in fashion and I didn't even know! (Classic orange and brown, needs to be redone but my mom wants to open the kitchen up to the dining room so it hasn't been done yet because of the expense.)
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:34PM
Kari D
If it suits the home or space then who cares whether or not it's trendy. Personally, I try to stay away from trends and stick to things that are special to me or my home. Sometimes that means trending unintentionally. The dark hardwood floors for instance. My house is 100 yrs old and built with walnut floors throughout. Trend or not I'm not changing them when dark floors are no longer "in." And even though reclaimed/salvaged wood might be super popular right now (nothing wrong with repurposing something) I love the way it flows with the bones and character of my farmhouse and wouldn't get rid of it even though it might be "out" some day. It looks like it's suppose to be here. So long as it serves a purpose, and you ACTUALLY like it and aren't just trying to keep up with the Jones' then have at it. I will agree with the comments on the word art, however. It's not interesting and has no use in my house-I like art that speaks to me without actually speaking to me.
13 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:48PM
I've seen "outdated" look quite good! omg Pink bathroom tile can look good. I've see 'dated" box valences and cafe' curtains look good. Repurposed/reupholstered dated furniture and those ugly old china hutches can look too. A good designer (pros or ams) can make a space look pretty darn good using what they have. :) It's putting it all together in a cohesive design that makes the difference. I have respect for anyone that can pull it off beautifully!
12 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:59PM
maggielou362
Barnhart Gallery, I loved my doormat that said "Go Away" but my mother in law took exception to it and threw it away. I can't think why!
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 5:59PM
Allison
Yes on the signs in every room: "dream" "eat" "love" Stop telling me what to do!! I'm way too cranky for that.
10 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 6:12PM
nancyann0277a
Revere Pewter, the phase "matchy, matchy" and metal dining room chairs.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 6:21PM
kimdee24
My doormat says, simply, "Hello."
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 6:35PM
quercus2
The problem with trends is that often people just employ them mindlessly without engaging their own minds and creativity. I just moved and the previous owners of my new house designed the entire thing to look like a Pottery Barn store. The result completely lacks soul.

And another trend whose time came and went is giant stars. I've seen them on walls, over fireplaces and even stuck on the outside of a house. Why?
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 7:13PM
In a label-crazy culture what else could we expect? I think we can find a couple of alternate ideas here. How about wall words that say PB Style, C&B Look? That way the novice guest will know the pinnacle of style we've achieved in the space! How many of us have Houzz T-shirts and/or slippers? See how easy it is to be "trendy!"
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 7:21PM
jen046
I think Revere has had his 15 minutes. I am a MCM fanatic, but I am not sure it's a trend. I just love the style, so I really could give a fig about what anyone else says.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 7:35PM
vkilpatrick
Distressing cheap furniture to make it look like a precious antique! (Not foolin' anyone.)
SS appliances (oh, PUHleeze let that be over!)
TV's over the fireplace (why?!)
Subway tile (why didn't I buy shares before it got popular?)
Grommet drapes (they never work!)
Inspirational quotes and signs like EAT, (what a way to scare your guests into eating.)
And probably brushed nickel, which is unfortunate because it does appear in many rooms of our house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:04PM
Allison
I am staring at my Revere Pewter painted brick fireplace and hating all of you. (I kid!)

I'm sure we all have some of the tired trends people have mentioned! I will stick with the greige for now, it still feels right to me. Like so many have said, trends aren't nearly as important as what makes *you* happy.
12 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:22PM
happyasaclam
Right there with you, Knuck1es! Lovin' my Revere Pewter and proud of it :D It is important that *we* love our choices and be content with them :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:29PM
armygirl1987
I agree Knuck1es.
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:37PM
happyasaclam
Darzy, I would have given just about anything to have spent Thanksgiving with my Granny in her little house with the pink tiled bathroom. She's been gone almost thirty years now and I can still remember where the tile stopped and started and how clean and shiny she kept it :)
14 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:38PM
armygirl1987
Is there anything that you like sstarr.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:59PM
mmers
Isn't it amazing how we all have such fabulous taste? Nothing WE have is tacky or trendy. Can you tell I'm being sarcastic? Just furnish your home the way you want it to be and you'll be happy with it. Enjoy your home. And be kind.
17 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:01PM
sstarr93
armygirl1987, I like most things, just not those things ;-)
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:02PM
armygirl1987
@starr-if you say so. LOL but I am fine I only have accent walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:05PM
Not being nasty...Many say forget subway tile, linear glass tile, mosaic..trendy stainless steel. So, what do you think would be a classic backsplash for a kitchen?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:09PM
maggielou362
No backsplash? How long would a painted surface last before it needed repainting? About 2 weeks in my house. How do you clean all the cooking stains and grease in the kitchen or the toothpaste and hair product marks in the bathroom if you have no backsplash? BTW for some strange reason we call them splashbacks in Australia (we are upside down!) ETA this was in response to a suggestion (now deleted) that we do away with backsplashes/splashbacks entirely
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:18PM
jen046
I don't think it's a trend, but I have a visceral reaction to area rugs over carpeting.
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:41PM
escolat
I never understood this 'stainless steel kitchen appliances trend'....are we living in school cafeterias and doesn't the stainless steel show every smudge? I'm old-school...give me a nice white appliance!
4 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:05PM
Stephanie Pichner
Stainless steel appliances. We need to buy all appliances for our new house and everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting white. Why would I want to pay way more money so I can fight to keep the fingerprints and smudges off? I just can't see giving in to this trend.
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:12PM
mmers
Some people are renting and have ugly wall to wall carpeting that they can't change - or perhaps they own their homes (and can't afford to replace the carpet right away) - they might want to cover it up with another carpet. I can understand that.
14 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:17PM
maggielou362
escolat, stephanie et al re s/s appliances: we still call those appliances "white goods" in Australia, even when they are stainless steel! Do you use that term in USA?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:22PM
escolat
I researched ' rugs over carpet' and many designers find it perfectly fine if the carpet is low-pile...and it looks good in my house. A great way to bring seasonal accents and color to a room
8 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:24PM
solincia
I personally don't think that dirt and smudges are any more prevalent on stainless than black, white or almond. Perhaps some people just don't clean their kitchen as often as others? And pocket doors are not a trend, in my opinion, they're a timeless and practical solution. But as always, to each their own!
11 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:25PM
Luan Bennett
If not stainless steel, then what?
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:31PM
Stephanie Pichner
My white appliances never look dirty, but my stainless back splash and small appliances never stay clean looking, no matter how much I scrub or what products I use. With two boys, I just couldn't take the finger prints all over the fridge.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 10:42PM
olldroo
The discussion on splashbacks now raises an interesting question in my mind - where is the line drawn between a trend and embracing a new and improved product? I use splashbacks as an example but it could apply to anything. We have had many styles of tiles over the years that came and went as did the size, shape, colours and composition, but now we have glass splashbacks introduced into the market. These, to me are a vast improvement over tiles, aluminium or any other form of splashback so far, so if one embraces this product, is one being trendy or is one just moving forward with the times to a more practical product.

Likewise I agree with Solincia on the subject of slide-in or pocket doors, in many spaces these are an architectural necessity that again, many years back, were a new and improved way of doing things that people embraced out of necessity.

There will always be trends to move forward with building and products as new ways and products are developed to make things cheaper, easier, more practical or more durable. Is this really bad? Are we perhaps mixing the words "trend" and "fad"? To me "fad" is a current craze which would cover things like Chevron stripes, polka dots, gingham checks, distressing furniture, specific paint colours, shaggy rugs, etc.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:22AM
chookchook2
We have splashbacks, and backstroke and freestyle, and we don't call it Australian Crawl - that is a band. Love the idea of the Go Away doormat, and think you should throw away your Mil's doormat, I would . Love the idea of "Metabolise" in letters in the dining room. Keep em coming, guys.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:19AM
maggielou362
I agree, with your sentiments olldroo. I see a fad as being quite different to advances in products and techniques. Fads are for fun, they are often flippant and transient, easy to take or leave. However, if a new "trend" turns out to be a better way to live, e.g. improved hygiene, less labour intensive, more ecologically sustainable or more economical (and i don't mean CHEAP, I mean better value in the long term) then that's a trend worth embracing.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:21AM
maggielou362
That's right chookchook, Australian Crawl has boys lighting up. Freestyle is just swimming as fast as you can to get away from the crocs.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:26AM
maggielou362
And later tonight I'm going to sneak over to my MIL's house and chop down her letterbox.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:28AM
chookchook2
ROFL. Trouble with crocs, call Uggh, he'll make you a nice pouffe.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:38AM
vkilpatrick
Olldroo-I wondered the exact same thing about glass tile when we were picking interiors for our new build. Was it trendy, or fabulous and here to stay?!
Couldn't decide, couldn't commit.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:00AM
olldroo
vkilpatrick - Maybe it comes down to what you can live with forever. Bit like buying a really eye catching dress, you wear it once and everyone goes "OH WOW" and you feel a million dollars, then you wear it a second time and everyone says "here she comes in that dress again". I think where semi permanent fixtures and fittings in a house go it comes down to 'how will I feel about this in 10 years time" - and then think 70s orange/olive green/brown shag carpet.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:12AM
lvstotrvl
Dislike stainless steel anything. Also subway tile.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:25AM
escolat
I agree lvstotrvl, I have a stainless steel trash can which always looks streaky...my wise mother told me to get a porcelain white sink because a stainless steel sink always looks messy...she is right....who wants to constantly have to wipe down something!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 5:48AM
smartin1
It's hard to find items that are not faddish (at least it is for me). Home decor stores stock themselves with those items and then display them in a way that makes you thing, "If I do not buy that white ceramic moose head with gold antlers, I am SOOO out of style." It's basically design peer pressure and marketing warfare! So far, I've been able to abstain, but I have to admit, I have fallen victim to the whole burlap/muslin fad.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:13AM
PirateFoxy
@olldroo that is a good point. Some of the things listed as trends are also things that have real applications, like pocket doors. Some areas just are best suited for a pocket door due to the space and use of the space. I think you mostly have to ask yourself if something is appropriate for the environment in which it will be used, which includes factors like cleaning, not just how it looks.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:10AM
happyasaclam
Finally! A reasonable discussion and not a snipe fest. Keep it going - now I can enjoy this discussion without getting my hackles up :)) But, I still need some educating about the gold moose antlers thing. When and where did that start? LOL.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:49AM
I'm thinking "glass refrigerator doors!" Just like open cabinets to me. I see them in homes where I'm sure there must be a full-time housekeeper or the super organized homeowner who can keep the fridge interior looking showcase perfect and has nothing else to do but maintain a "cover-ready" home. As for other items; think of all the floor space pocket doors save for decor!
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:07AM
PirateFoxy
The interesting thing for me is also the thing about stuff like stainless steel showing fingerprints - I actually prefer stuff that looks dirty a bit easier because I find it more satisfying to clean. Although I also don't stress about the odd hard water drops on a sink or something, which might help? But I lived in one house where with the pattern of the counter tops you legitimately could not see if you needed to wipe up a spill of something like sugar or salt. Which was good for hiding the mess, but was very frustrating when you were trying to make sure you HAD wiped up something properly. Drove me NUTS.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:32AM
happyasaclam
I love my stainless steel. The fact that it does show fingerprints lets me know when the grandkids have been raiding the fridge :D
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:59AM
bodiam
I'm already tired of seeing 'subway' tiles in (seemingly) 80% of the kitchen photos!!! Creativity please.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:10AM
nanipoo
STOP WITH THE ANIMAL SKIN RUGS. ESPECIALLY ZEBRA.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:19AM
armygirl1987
Am I the only one that don't get open storage in kitchen.
16 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:37PM
PirateFoxy
@armygirl1987 - I like it, but my overall kitchen style is very, um. Restaurant kitchen inspired? (In the sense that I don't mind if it isn't quite as pretty if it's really super functional for me.) And I feel like open shelving goes with that.

That said, I think it's used impractically a lot, too. Open shelves = dusting and grease build up, plus stuff being on display, so I think you need a mix, personally. I keep ingredients I use very frequently on open shelves, and also frequently used pots and pans and so on. So nothing sits long enough to collect dust and often a shelf will be empty long enough to give it a quick wipe just while I'm using the kitchen. I also decant the ingredients into containers that look nicer than the store packaging. (Usually glass jars - I have a few different styles that are glass and metal/stainless steel so they coordinate without being too matchy.)

Stuff that is likely to sit longer or that doesn't decant easily or that I want to keep for sure clean (like plates and glasses) goes in closed storage. I don't want to spend time dusting that bottle of specialty vinegar I use once every two months, y'know?
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:54PM
olldroo
Chook and Maggie - What do you think? I have a feeling a lot of the stainless steel sinks love/hate relationship comes down to quality of water. Stainless steel sinks are pretty much a way of life here, in fact I just couldn't imagine using a porcelain one but they are so easy to care for and maintain. I think our water is much softer and has less minerals in it.

Do people in the US drink water straight from the tap?
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:17PM
clairefromthecolonies
This was funny ... ! A trend is a trend. We all have our tastes, and can be inspired by something different we see "out there", whether it be on Houzz or in a magazine etc. I think for me what I find bothersome about trends taking over personal taste is the monotony that it produces - the Pottery Barn look, the neutral everything that seems to go with that, painting over antique wood furniture! I think I would call my style traditional/eclectic and I am just fine with that. My home reflects my interests tastes and values. And as I have understood from my home decorating over the years is, if you have some good basics they can be updated with fresh accessories - found at ikea or PB on in the flea market. I do love to look at decor magazines and inspiration rooms here on Houzz but I don't want to take on every trend I see. One needs to have a filter. Much like "shopping one's own closet" to re-vamp one's outfits, we can do the same in our homes.
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:30PM
J Petempich
I have severe allergies to dust and I am ready to see the pillows go.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:40PM
anneowl
@maggielou362 we call them splashbacks in the UK too. And white goods even if they are stainless or coloured, the term covers any large kitchen appliances (fridge, freezer, washing machine etc).

I am so fed up with huge sofas, most houses in the UK just don't have rooms big enough to house them and most just look ugly and cumbersome. Or sofas with really low backs, when I sit on the sofa I want to relax and that is really hard when the back of the sofa finishes at shoulder height and there is nothing for your head to rest against.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:47PM
olldroo
anneowl - yes "whitegoods" covers the appliances here too, regardless of colour.

I am so glad the trend for really low lounges went out, with my ageing knees I can't get out of them and my hips ache if I sit on them for too long - something to think about before paying big money for a "forever" lounge. My last lounge was still in excellent condition when I had to get rid of it simply because I could no longer sit on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:33PM
maggielou362
Olldroo yes I have always had stainless steel sinks, as did my mum. Never had a problem keeping it clean, I just take to it with a scourer and Ajax if it's looking grungy. Then if i feel really virtuous or my mother is coming over I polish it with a bit of window cleaner ("Windex"). Our water is very soft in Sydney, but in other parts of Oz where they use bore water they probably have a problem with mineral stains. The porcelain ones look lovely but i would be too rough on it and would chip or crack it. I don't like s/s "white goods" myself because I'm not a sleek and modern fan, (nor am I a sleek and modern person, more like fat and old!) but they can look really good in the right house. Armygirl I like to hide my sins behind solid kitchen cupboards too. I've never seen a glass door on a refrigerator in a home, only in the fish and chip shop and supermarket. I think it would look messy in a home kitchen, but if you have lots of Veuve Cliquot, caviar and Evian water all lined up neatly and no wilting lettuce/mouldy cheese then I suppose it could look ok (not for me though)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 3:56PM
olldroo
Maggie, there is an ideabook here on see through fridge doors with lots of hilarious comments
Ideabook: See-Through Refrigerators Dare to Go Bare · See Ideabook

Haven't tried the Windex on the sink, the old Bon Ami is enough to have me in sunnies. I like everything white in a kitchen too. I like to see things look clean when I clean them. I must be a needy person, I like satisfaction.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:33PM
decorideas523
Had to look up Revere Pewter. I thought it was dish ware :) I didn't know it was a trend, it must be really popular - is that what constitutes a trend?
Yikes - got knocked off before I could finish.
Does anyone remember the Hunter Green trend. There are still countertops in houses around my area with this "trendy" color - it was very popular years ago. I kinda like the Revere Pewter, guess I am a trendy kind of person. (I also had a hunter green countertop)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 4:42PM
Missed the hunter green trend in countertops. Did see it in upholstery, often with little pink fan-like thingys dotted all over it. - had a chair upholstered that way. Now it is cream. Do often advise a version of it with a tad more blue for exterior applications like porch ceilings and under stairs. Around these parts the old timers say it keeps dirt daubers and other nesting insects from building. I just think it is a calming color. In this pic they claim the color wards off bad spirits - a new one to me - i would have thought the cross was enough!
Blue Porch in Athens, Georgia · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:42PM
olldroo
Yes, I missed that trend too deco, maybe it sank coming across the ditch. I'd have some garlic draped on the cross too.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:57PM
PirateFoxy
I still like hunter green! Though I ride horses so as a color it references those memories for me, since it turns up often in horse stuff. (Blankets, saddle pads, etc.) No plans for anything hunter green upholstered, though. Still trying to figure out how to work in some equestrian references in my bedroom without being over the top Town & Country or looking like something to do with some strange kink.

(I like personal spaces to have personal touches. Like I can't bring myself to actually have anything on the walls that's branded for my favorite hockey team, but I think I'm going to have a throw pillow made from a photo I took at a game - maybe in black and white or with some kind of filter on it to soften it a bit and make it look more 'artsy' and subtle.)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:00PM
armygirl1987
I had a hunter green sofa.
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:13PM
olldroo
Foxy, you sound as bad as me, always trying to create something - unfortunately mine mostly blow up in my face. I just bought a new camera that has an Art setting, take one photo and 17 more versions of it come up, some soft some sharp or with different colour emphasis. Feel like I am cheating but if I get what I want, what the heck.

What about something in a tweedy/check for your bedroom, sort of English foxes and hounds type thing. Of course you could be blatantly obvious and just go for a great horse portrait for the room, I have seen some great ones here on Houzz.

Haha, I just starting checking through photos and my warped sense of humour took over

Discovery Pod Playhouse · More Info
]

Custom Over The Top Baby Nursery · More Info
]

1.2 Ten Broeck Farm - Winter 2013, Ellensberg WA. · More Info
]

dining room · More Info
]
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:21PM
@cat...agree! "outdated" styles is all about how you style it!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:25PM
crchappell
If I see another pair of faux antlers on the walls of featured spaces in the design blog world… I may lose it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:30PM
PirateFoxy
@olldroo omg that giant horse in the DINING ROOM what the heck? I can't decide if that's fantastic or hilarious. (Why the dining room of all places?)

I've been occasionally browsing for artwork but I haven't found anything yet that speaks to me. I tend to not like the photos that look too 'cutesy' (like where it feels like the horse is just missing a pink floofy bow?) but the old style paintings of horses also annoy me because the proportions are wrong. I have faith I will eventually find something, it must happen, right? And hopefully it will not be stupidly expensive. :)

(Fabric is an interesting notion, though - maybe roman blinds? How many layers of window treatment can I get away with? I wanted something sheer for privacy and something for light blocking, but I like the softer look from drapes for a bedroom. Maybe gathered drapes to soften the edges of light blocking roman blinds over some kind of sheer inside mounted thing? I feel like a horse-y strong pattern might be a bit much for a full drapery... Ponder ponder.)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:40PM
smartin1
Oh, the painted porch ceilings are such a Southern thing. The trend was to paint them the color of the sky as a way to "trick" wasps into not building their nests on the porch.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:41PM
olldroo
Sort of puts a new meaning to having an elephant in the room doesn't it.

I know a very good artist in SC if that might be of any help.

I do like the elegance of drapes in a bedroom, I have mixtures of thermal blind behind a sheer curtain, and either solid or sheer curtains with separate thermal linings that can be used for privacy as well when necessary. Don't think I would do a sheer with a roman blind. I will keep my eyes open for any ideas. What colour are you thinking for your bedroom.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 8:49PM
chookchook2
There was a bank in Oakleigh, Victoria Australia, that put odd things in the customer area., about 20 years ago. One time it was a life size, lifelike, plastic horse. Another time it was a vanity unit with basin and taps just sitting there with space all around it. In the same street there was a shop with a sign outside above the shop, that said "open 8 days a week" . The sign was upside down.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 9:32PM
Barnhart Gallery
Oh dear olldroo and piratefoxy -- I have a giant horse in the dining room. He's teak. And an elephant -- painting.

olldroo -- where can one get the magic camera?!
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:06PM
PirateFoxy
@olldroo - oh, not sheer drapes. I was thinking of maybe up-down something or other (honeycomb shades?) or even just a sheer roller blind for privacy purposes, then an Interesting Fabric light blocking roman blind on top of that, and drapes to either side - I'm picturing drapes close to the wall color atm, so they add softness without feeling overwhelming. Maybe something silvery, since I'm thinking grey for the walls. (No, not because it is trendy. I like grey. And a light blue ceiling in the bed area.) But that way the drapes would help with any light leaking around the sides of the roman blind. (I have insomnia so I use all the tricks I can to make my bedroom as sleep-friendly as possible.)
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:29PM
PirateFoxy
@Barnhart Gallery - photos of the giant horse!
    Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:29PM
nwduck
I most dislike the phrase "a pop of color". If everything around you wasn't painted gray, there would be no need to ever, ever say that as design guidance.
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:18AM
olldroo
Duck, I thing that could apply to any neutral colour really.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:23AM
nwduck
Perhaps I am more sensitive to its regular appearance with the trend to gray. In ye olden decor tymes, I believe this was called an accent. My geezerness is showing, I fear!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:29AM
olldroo
Yes, Barnhart, I too, would love to see your horse. I love elephants too. The horse in the photo is pretty amazing and it looks fantastic with the black and white chests. It just makes one hell of a statement. I found another one too - I could just imagine my grands on this one

Noho Loft · More Info
]
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:30AM
olldroo
Barnhart - my camera http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/CompactSystem-Cameras/OMD-cameras/E-M5-Camera.aspx

I am absolutely in love with it and waste far too much time playing with it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:33AM
LB Interiors
Gray paint, granite, stainless appliances, ikat fabric. wood flooring. Much is being used without thought of the many options for other choices.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:44AM
olldroo
Foxy, there are some really nice sheer mesh blinds you can get that are great for privacy but they are the reverse at night. You can also get them with a second blind attached that blocks out light, heat and cold. Example to make it easier https://www.iseekblinds.com.au/double-roller-blinds

Alternatively, you could get a roman blind made with a thermal backed fabric that would give you the block out as well. A silvery or grey background to the pattern on the blind and then plain matching silver or grey curtains I think is a rather timeless look.

Unfortunately a block out doesn't help with my insomnia, if anything I sleep better in a room with a bit of light, but go with whatever works for you, it is an absolute pain of a problem.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:48AM
PirateFoxy
@olldroo - I see my dog being Very Confused by that large horse behind the sofa. Also I'd probably be tempted to use it as a rack for holding throws for the sofa. (You could fold it up like a blanket, it'd totally fit the theme!)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:49AM
olldroo
Hahaha, but what a great way to hide the kitchen mess.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:57AM
olldroo
Duck, this olld geezer made quite an impression with some PYT's (pretty young things) in a décor shop the other day when she suggested some "pops of colour" she would like. It seems like at our age we either impress or confuse.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 1:02AM
olldroo
Oh and I might add, that was for my aqua/blue room.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 1:03AM
maggielou362
Hey, accent colours POP! Those horses are something else, Olldroo. Giant giraffes seem to be featuring in "nurseries" but I think they're a little scary for tiny children
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:56AM
solincia
Ah... Speaking of children, everything plastic and unbreakable is an annoying trend to me. I didn't grow up with safety locks on everything, plastic toys, etc. You learn that things are breakable and don't throw them, break them, etc. I cringe at plastic
children's toys.
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:30AM
maggielou362
Yes, solincia, I found that my (now grownup) kids were less likely to break my "special" things on display if I let them help me clean them. They knew which things were breakable. They were allowed to touch them, but they rarely broke anything. I am enjoying having a kitchen without all those annoying "childproof" (ahem, like tablet bottle lids) catches AND I store chemicals under my kitchen and laundry sinks now. I LOVE it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:35AM
PirateFoxy
@solincia - I think like most other things mentioned here, it's a balance. There are definitely probably some furniture and decorating choices best left for when the kids are a bit older, for the sake of everyone's sanity, but I agree that too much bubble wrap means the kids just don't learn how to interact with things carefully. When I was growing up things were largely in designated spaces - the family room was where we were allowed to play more energetically and thus not likely to be home to anything excessively fragile or precious, where the living room was more of an 'adult' space in the sense that it was used, but that was for quiet activities like reading, not wrestling the dog.

I know a lot of people now don't necessarily have the two rooms to have a family room and a living room, but I think the concept can be applied - kids rooms should be more kid-friendly, obviously, because they should be able to be relatively relaxed in their own space. (I don't mean crazy, just that they shouldn't have to worry all the time about breaking things like a museum.) Likewise in the main living space - allow some area for kids to play and some where it's expected that they be more quiet and settled.

And some "childproof" bottle lids are just a menace. For a while there my pharmacy was using ones that were very distinctly ME-proof, and it was quite un-fun.

(Didn't even think about cleaning chemicals so much - I think my mom made copious use of Mr. Yuck stickers so stuff wasn't actually locked away so much as clearly labeled 'do not mess with.' Which worked for me, but probably not all kids.)
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:57AM
Studio M Interior Design
I agree. Chevron and coastal that doesn't think outside the box. There really are just too many to list!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:08AM
LB Interiors
I'm a bit tired of brown or espresso/black wood furniture, why not show other finishes in showrooms. We are programmed to buy what is most available and displayed. I'm currently looking for black leather and that has been limited on some websites too. Not many design choices.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 10:37AM
Barnhart Gallery
That is a magic camera olldroo! Thank you for the link.
Pirate, my big horse isn't decent at the moment.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:34PM
Elizabeth Woodfield
I never had the confidence to do much in the decorating department. Combine that with little disposable income to spend on anything beyond the basic necessities, and we lived with the same furniture, colors, curtains, etc. for many years. Now, however, for a variety of reasons, things have changed. I, like others, are not paying a huge amount of attention to "trends"; rather I am making choices based on what we like, find pleasing, and will be (hopefully) timeless and versatile. Of course there are things I'm tired of or not fond of, but isn't that always the case because we are individuals? I don't bend a great deal to popular ideas, rather pay more attention to classic ideas and what will work best for our family. While some people dislike camel, we just bought our second camel-colored sofa because it's pretty easy to choose accents and change color schemes. While I am accenting right now with dark browns and dark reds, come summer, I plan to change the accents to a lighter teal blue and off-white to lighten up the room.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:39PM
Luv Romantic
I hate those pennant flags hanging all over the place. Never got this trend. And really it's the only one that I just never understood the draw and the only one that literally makes me cringe when I see it.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:53PM
escolat
Agreed! Pennant flags reminds me of a used-car lot or the circus!
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:10PM
maggielou362
Elizabeth, I dislike giraffes in bedrooms because they frighten small children. I dislike giant horses in dining rooms because I am worried that someone will cut off their heads and put them in my bed when I'm asleep. I dislike vanity units in my bank because i think they are laundering my money. i dislike camels because they have ugly yellow teeth and they spit at you. Camel sofas, however, are fine.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:35PM
maggielou362
Luvromantic and escalot, a few months ago I almost succumbed by attaching those pennant things to my backyard shed because I was trying to tart it up a bit. Then I realised that i was doing just what this thread is about, falling for fads rather than surrounding yourself with things you love. Those pennants look cute if you like them, but I DON'T! Yet there I was, thinking about using them because they were in fashion. Fine if you like it, and it's an easy trend to abandon when you're sick of it. My point is, however, that I was about to use something I don't even LIKE just because everyone else was. What a sheep!
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:48PM
Elizabeth Woodfield
Maggie Lou...Your explanations of likes and dislikes is entertaining. Thanks for your creativity.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:49PM
bungalowmo
I'm sick of seeing the flatscreen hanging above the fireplace, as tho it's a work of art!

Good Riddance to bad ideas.
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:09PM
siouxxie
I guess I don't understand why people get snarky about other people's decorating. (first, i didnt' even know Revere pewter was a "trend." I guess I am totally out of it!) I like what I like, don't really care if it is trendy or not, if others like it or not. We live here, we have to like it. personally i don't "get" subway tile--if i wanted to look at subway tile, I'd go to...the subway. but if others like it, doesn't bother me at all.

but then i have what some might call an elegant "Tuscan" style living room (because we happen to like it) and a dining room-turned-"art lounge" that sports rock and blues posters, a juke box, art easels and supplies, and two guitars.

our country French dining set (is that too trendy? or already "out"? was it ever "in"? lol) is now in our great room where it makes total sense! (a wine bar occupies the space meant for a "breakfast room." we're not real traditional)

our bedroom is painted "crushed red pepper" (the naysayers claim it is not a soothing color. we love it)

I have been in houses where the is decorating great, but something i would NEVER do, yet it works for them (and usually suits their personalities) to me, that is good decorating, that which shows your personality, and is efficient at the same time!

Seems like it's trendy to criticize other people's styles. lol
13 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:12PM
bungalowmo
Oh....I'm done looking at all the "sand" colored kitchen & bathroom tile too. Sorry, but it has always reminded me of baby poo.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:12PM
2dogssashatess
I think the thing we should all acknowledge is that generally things become trends because many people like the look of them.. In Australia, years ago people had a thing for white iceberg roses. Now I like white iceberg roses but it just becomes a bit dull when one goes past house after house with white iceberg roses.( or subway tile kitchens, or moroccan trellis rugs, or chevron cushions). It is nice to see something a bit quirky and original but trendy things can still look good
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:22PM
2dogssashatess
I'm too poor to slavishly follow trends but am fortunate to live surrounded by wealthy people so I go to their garage sales and benefit from their cast offs
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:24PM
J Petempich
I also would like to see puddled drapes go because of my allergies. Unfortunately , I think some of these things are here to stay.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:28PM
oakleyspanky
Crap, and I was just lovin my white resin moose head...Few days into living in our lake house we saw a moose swim across the lake right in front of our bedroom window...now, I couldn't put up a real moose head, but, I am going to say trendy is ok if it has meaning for you! And, I AM Canadian! (Granted, my husband is Canadian and he says he hates the freakin' thing.) Of course I put it on his side of the bed..It watches him all night haha
11 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:37PM
chookchook2
LOL Maggielou, laundering your money; horses head in your bed!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:45PM
chookchook2
LBInteriors, Ikea Kivick 3 seat sofa in black leather. 80198592. Memory foam
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:52PM
Marilyn Wilkie
The masses have never been known for having good taste. One example would be popular music. I too hate stainless steel. It always looks bad ... streaky and weird shadows. Our new four door fridge is s.s. and it looks like that too. UGH! I'm glad I chose a black Bosch dishwasher and wall oven. I can put up with the s.s. cooktop and micro. I still love my glass mosaic backsplash.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:15PM
olldroo
Now why would you put Memory Foam is a sofa. My understanding of it is that it moulds to your body and remains that way for greater comfort in future use. I can understand it in a bed for that reason (if you can handle foam) but a sofa? Every time someone sits on it, it will have someone else's imprint. How can that possibly be comfortable. Correct me if I am wrong, but I just don't get it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:15PM
smartin1
Paint that looks one color on the chip and another on the wall. Grrrr...
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:17PM
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:32PM
chookchook2
Olldroo, did you get the pic of your next red curtains? It gave me a lot of trouble and appeared on a lot of threads yesterday when I tried to post other pics. Most have disappeared today. Hope you saw it !
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:36PM
@oakleyspanky...I'm digging your moose head. :)
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:43PM
olldroo
Thanks chook, so it is supposed to go back to normal, but I wouldn't hold my breath, I slept on a memory foam mattress at an hotel recently and one side was so out of shape I ended up with a back ache. It was obviously the side that had been slept on most, the other side was not as bad but it was still clammy to sleep on.

No I didn't get the red curtain pics.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:45PM
olldroo
Oakley - I would just so have to put realistic eyes in that, the type that seem to follow you around the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:47PM
oakleyspanky
Thanks Darzy! I will tell my husband he is wrong as usual! "No-one in their right mind would put that thing..." oh, guess I am make an assumption here :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:48PM
oakleyspanky
Great idea Olldroo...better than my suggestion to him that he can hang his underwear on the antlers...
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:49PM
chookchook2
Next time you stay in a hotel, Roo, maybe specify no memory foam on the mattress.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:53PM
chookchook2
Was supposed to be the curtains pic!
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:55PM
olldroo
ewwwww Oakley - that sounds like desperate measures.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:19PM
msmscl
Tiring trends I am seeing are Tuscan look, chevron designs and taupe or dark khaki paint on all walls in a new house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:19PM
olldroo
Chook, I didn't even think about the possibility of them using it. I let them have it in my evaluation of my stay, don't worry.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:21PM
escolat
I noticed one trend in bathroom flooring this year which bothered me! Earth tone flooring! Most of the vinyl patterns were in boring 'earth tones'! Little variety!

The trend of earth tones 'forced' me to go with a porcelain flooring which I absolutely love...porcelain is so indestructible,permanent and easy to care for!
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:59PM
Had a Chinese red bedroom once - loved it!
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:52PM
lindzlane
Buying a new house, very 90's, lots of gold and oak. Big vaulted ceilings that are white, lots of random colored rooms, (red, baby pooh green, sponge painting) I was advised to go with Revere Pewter to even things out and soften, as a base color. Now I'm.questioning it. These ceilings are crazy tall, can't just repaint if we change our minds in a year. What do you suggest if it's so "out of style", wanting timeless. Thanks
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 10:23PM
A merlot thought: For those designers who make comments like "what you are doing is putting lipstick on a pig" I say I would not hire you. You should rather say "I can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
14 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 11:26PM
chookchook2
Darzy, in Oz the paint colour for that would be Hogs Bristle.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 12:19AM
chookchook2
Lindzlane, have you posted a dilemma for your new house?
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 12:20AM
chookchook2
elpelicano, I see your Clint Eastwood quote. What does he say to the hotel maid who comes to tidy his room? " Go ahead. Make my bed. "
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 12:23AM
chookchook2
ROFL elpelicano!
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 2:18AM
olldroo
lindzlane - I don't think you can go past white ceilings. It always looks fresh and you never have to think about it when you choose wall or furnishing colours. Quite frankly, I think grey on a ceiling would be way too depressing but the shade could change in each room according to the light and the reflection of any other colours in the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 2:20AM
olldroo
elpicano, sorry to hear that, it is a shame when this great site is spoilt like that. Your comments are important, you may not think you know as much as others, but it is amazing how sometimes the most simplest of comments can be helpful. Don't give up. Report your problems to Emily.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 4:43AM
Christine
I think lists like this are dangerous. For years, the design shows and noted designers try to drill in to us to use what you love balanced with certain "trends". The funny thing is that trends seem to kind of recycle themselves. All that matters is that you are surrounded by what you love and what brings you peace and harmony in your home and if you live that truth then any visitor or guest to your home is also imbued with that same sense of "ahhhhh".
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:06AM
smileyface2013
I miss navy blue (clothes). It's slowly coming back. But some colorists or trendists decided it was out long ago. And it's been impossible to find anything since.

I hate the there is some "force" out there (Pantone or whoever) that decides which colors are in, and which are out, and then every store has the same 5 colors.
10 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:16AM
Jan W.
Trends don't bother me--sometimes they can be fun. The problem comes in when people follow them just because they're "in," even if they don't work in the room they're decorating. I once read a post where someone was trying to do a very inexpensive face lift (paint and accessories only) to a bath with a large golden beige and brown swirled cultured marble jetted tub, beige tile on the floor, etc. They hated the tub, and wanted to draw attention away from it. If you want to make it disappear visually, you go fairly monochromatic and use a variety of colors in the same tone and palate as the tub for walls, trim etc. (warm colors like the tub--warmer white, cream, tan, golden beige, browns) and then you can add pops of brighter color (accessories etc) on the things that you DO want to accent . Instead, others wanted to paint the room gray blue because beige, tan and cream are "so 90s." The problem is that the gray blue walls with the tan/cream/brown cultured marble would clash, making the tub stand out even more. It doesn't matter if gray blue is "in style" or "on trend." The color doesn't work in that room with those fixtures, to accomplish what they wanted to accomplish. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when trends get in the way of understanding color, lighting, and basic design, they don't work.
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 6:40AM
Jessica
The trends I find most exhausting are the ones that require extra steps in my routine. For instance granite counters that have to be treated every so often instead of just wiped down, collections of intricate tchotchkes that have to be dusted all the time, "textured surfaces" like wall panels that look like the end of a woodpile or those wall tiles that look like waves that do nothing but collect dust and are a pain to keep clean. Carpets that can't simply be vacuumed, but need special treatment like the old shags that had to be raked. Large spans of mirrored walls unless you have a dance studio because they have to be cleaned regularly. Other trends I consider dangerous, for instance there used to be a big "barn wood" trend of recycling wood from old barns. Unless that wood is properly sealed, it can contain spores, viruses and bacteria from diseases the animals that lived in the barn may have had (think anthrax in the case of sheep). Using that kind of wood for a dining table could be bad news.
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 6:57AM
chookchook2
Yes agree about the bacteria. Wallpapering with newsprint can also be bad news.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:10AM
Artajul Rugs
Aaaah finally someone has spoken - these rug patterns are DONE, done & over DONE ! They're flat & over powering even sometimes - taking away from the rest of the decor- AND they're NOT soft . I can just go on & on but I can see how people use such "pattern distractions" on the floor to fix under-compensated interiors instead of adding an element that fits a space. Im sorry these dont go with everything ...... they're lame period . http://st.houzz.com/simgs/47a1a8de01356441_5-3573/modern-rugs.jpg
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:18AM
And we're back where we started - chevron rugs - with a big DISLIKE from a rug dealer! I think that should pretty much wrap it up. Feel free to keep posting, but I think we can put a big period/stop at this point!
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:30AM
hayleydaniels
The trends I dislike have as much to do with being practical as style. Here's a few that really irk me:

I hate open floor plans where you can see everything but the bedrooms and bathrooms. They might be great for entertaining, but that's about it. I don't want the UPS man seeing everything that's going on in the house when he gives me the package, especially if the kitchen is a mess. Nor do I want to listen to football when I'm cooking. I want to be able to have on music I enjoy while my husband watches whatever he's interested in. As you get older, you find it's nice to have some space for yourself.

I hate open shelving in the kitchen that isn't for display purposes only. They may look nice, but people are going to find that if they don't use the items every day, they're going to have to wash it before using it as it will be covered in dust, and if not used for months on end, it will have a layer of greasy grime on it that might not come off. I bet in 3 years time you're going to be reading posts about all the nice things people had to get rid of because it was destroyed by grime.

I hate seeing couches and beds piled high with throw pillows. If you need some color and visual appeal, put up some pictures on your walls.

I hate gray. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and if I want to see gray, all I have to do is open my curtains as it's overcast 9 months of the year.

I hate large sectional sofas as most smaller homes can't accomodate them, and unless you're extemely outgoing, do you really want to be crowded in between countless other people? I don't. I want my own chair.
14 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:39AM
Jan W.
I think the big problem with chevron rugs is that they over power everything else in the room--do people really want the rug to be the first thing you see? They're also SO trendy that they'll look very dated the minute the next trend pops up, so you'd better be prepared to buy a new rug soon. Some people can easily afford to do that, but most of us can't. Rugs take some abuse in my home (teenage boys and their friends, pets) so I try to buy the best quality I can afford, in a classic style that will last--they're an investment.. That said, I don't mind chevron in throw pillows, etc. that can be easily changed out if you decide to tweak your decor.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:58AM
ruthmand
Just to stir the pot a bit - what about the sisal/jute rug rage inside the home? Here to stay or are we about done with that?
I feel the same about it as all the gray. Blah. Not comfy on your feet, sterile, and sooo boring that another rug needs to be put on top of it in many cases. Designers, explain please, if you have more insight into that trend.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 8:56AM
Studio NOO Design
All styles can work, depending on your house ! but please, beige everything is always boring, in any style...try some contrast
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 9:10AM
chrisinky
Hey Pirate Foxy-Suggestion for adding a horse without going cowboy, try a black & white photo of your own horse or a distant photo of horses in a field with more landscape in it than horses(maybe with fog or a nice sunset).

I've just started noticing the chevron print on everything. I've seen a lot of people wearing scarves with it. That print just makes me dizzy. I've also seen enough animal print to last me a lifetime, although my 7 year old daughter loves zebra print anything. I let her have some clothes with it because she will eventually grow out of them, but nothing in her room has it.

I think some people do well with fads & some don't. I tend to like things that aren't super popular. If it becomes a trend, I lose interest somewhat.

I do like antiques, & country meets rustic decor. However, I don't like when it is over done to the point that it would take all week to dust the many collections people have.

I try to keep my basics pretty neutral because I've found I can't buy a new couch every couple of years. My last one I got 11 years ago & I am so tired of the sage green I could die! My next one will be dark brown or black leather.

For the Aussies & Brits: I love that you call backsplashes splashbacks instead. That makes so much more sense. I may be alone, but I am starting that word here in the states.

I thought I was alone in my dislike of stainless appliances, so I gave in & bought all new SS ones last week. If only I would have read this thread first. I prefer black, but it would make my kitchen look way too dark. I am not giving in on the granite though. I don't like it. I hate the idea of having to re-seal it & it can release radon over time.

One more thing....I really dislike people who can't just make a short comment....oh, wait that's me.....Oops!
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 9:53AM
Brenda
upholstered ottomans as cocktail tables
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:01AM
Brenda
oversized mirrors leaning against walls
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:04AM
Brenda
drapery that 'puddles' on the floor
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:06AM
Brenda
dedicated home theater rooms with stadium seating
12 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:12AM
Brenda
master baths that are completely 'open concept' to the bedroom
15 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:13AM
Brenda
plastic decking materials and railings
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:13AM
Brenda, you nailed almost all of my pet peeves!
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 11:22AM
Luv Romantic
OK Brenda the first three I still love, and never considered them a trend. I have none of them, but still love them. The last three, (especially the stadium seating/bathroom open concept) I'm with you.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 12:09PM
smugsy1122
I'm more interested in a list of design choices that can be made that our "timeless". Tan neutrals are out.. Gray is heading out.. what's left? White.. but that's boring builder white. I guess I just get so confused when I hear "outdated", but no one gives examples of what is timeless.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 12:38PM
chrisinky
For those who want to tile a splashback: If you get tired of the tile & want to change it, the wall behind it will be ruined when you remove it. I just recently removed some & used half a bucket of spackle making the wall just good enough to paint without pieces falling off. I am going to cover it with a tin look alike splashback. I could never leave it the way it is-very lumpy.

Also just removed tile in 2 bathrooms. Tile with something you won't want to change in a few years, not a trend. Removal is a mess & the backer board has to be replaced as well. You won't be able to reuse it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 12:41PM
siouxxie
When we bought this house two years ago, one bedroom had red above and black below on two walls....and....purple above and pink below on two walls (there was no chair rail or anything, the paint just stopped halfway). seriously. i'm guessing the room was shared by a boy and a girl (now my daughter would have been the black/red half! lol) not sure what they were thinking, but we had a good laugh painting over it (with boring sunny happy yellow....)

we have a niece whose entire (new) house is some variation of lime green and orange, with a shot of black in every room. when i first heard, i thought, ut oh 70s (but hey if they like it, whatever, right?) well, it couldn't be LESS 70s! it is modern, fresh, cheerful, and original. she has three young kids and a busy life and somehow, the house just reflects them. i love it when people take chances.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 1:28PM
Andrea Prasch
I agree with @coco1019. There will always be trends in fashion and homes. Splurge on great classic antique pieces or refinish them and mix with some trendy contemporary stuff to keep things fresh. I love a mix of the new and the old. It keeps things classic with a little twist. On that note I'm highly over glass tile back-splashes and builder box granite. But that is my own personal taste. The homeowner should love their home and that's all that really matters :)
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:19PM
LB Interiors
Chook, thanks for the info about a black leather sofa. Not many style choices anywhere. Haven't been on houzz for quite awhile. Been real busy planning a big New Year's/Birthday surprise party. I realized I was obsessed with reading the comments. I can't use all my time this way. Now I understand what people are saying about facebook and twitter. It can consume you. Don't have either one.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 12:57AM
chookchook2
Good to see you back LB. I get a lot of belly laughs from Houzz.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 2:44AM
CDR Design
LB, one of many reasons I am not on FB or twitter either-a huge time consumer, not to mention all the other issues…..a little off subject, I know. Miss you on Houzz, though. I find myself having to manage my time. Wish I could be on all day, but can't. I try to limit to one new post/day.

I'll bet your party will be awesome!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 3:41AM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
There are several things that I dislike but will do if a client pushes me.
1. Accents walls, if you are not brave enough to do it all the way then dont .
2. Grey wall color. Hasn't BM run out of Grey pigment yet?
3. Design TV and its dumbing down of Interior design/decorating. This field is an art form and can not be copied on the cheap or on the fly.
4. A lack of knowledge of what came before in the design world. There is so much to learn from the previous great designers. The 70's had some absolutley fabulous designers but the era goes unrespected because of cheap mylar wallpaper.
Having said this I think there are some great designers( pro and not pro) our there today and on this site who really do understand the industry. You just have to recognise who they are.
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 4:05AM
printesa
Speaking of trends, the new Pantone color is in: Radiant Orchid. I like this one. I think it looks good on anyone.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 5:31AM
lvstotrvl
I think your right, pretty color!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 6:30AM
Barnhart Gallery
Dugal doesn't care for Radiant Orchid, the color that reluctant suburban husbands were forced to paint their front doors in the late '90's.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/759445/Love-or-Loathe-
;)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 7:13AM
PirateFoxy
I like accent walls if they're actually used properly to direct the eye in the room - one single wall in a different color can change how you perceive the space, which can be very useful in rooms that are less than ideal proportions. Sometimes it seems like people just picked a wall to throw color up on, though.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 11:48AM
printesa
I didn't know that this color was use for doors. That might have been an interesting color for a door:) I like it for accents and clothes (for clothes, maybe a bit more dark pink in it,,fuchsia,,it helps anyone's complexion:))
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 3:27PM
ruthmand
@Printesa - sorry, cannot abide. That color totally washes me out. Great for darker or olive skin tones however. In the 90s people even used this color on colonial home shutters - argh! It does go great with gray - gray lovers take note!
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 4:26PM
Tony Kley
Test
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 4:28PM
olldroo
Ruthmand, I can't wear anything with purple/mauve tones either - I look like death warmed up. Even when I have a suntan, it still washes me out.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 4:44PM
ruthmand
@olldroo, I don't even look "warmed up" in it : )
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 4:49PM
olldroo
The 'warmed up' only covers animation.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 4:56PM
printesa
@ruthmand, that's why I was saying that a bit more pink in it would be better. (more deep pink, less blue; I'm pale, too, so I need some red an pink:)) .something like this orchid, but maybe a bit more pronounced.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 5:09PM
LB Interiors
Thanks, chook and cdr for the welcome back. Can't be on this site too long. Planning, the party ideas are coming together. I agree, the radiant orchid can be uncomplemetary for some complexions. You also need the personality wearing a blouse or dress to pull it off.
Oildroo, I can't wear mauve either.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 10:05PM
olldroo
You look pretty much my colouring - before the grey rot set in. Not exactly pale either so it isn't just a "fair" thing.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 10:11PM
LB Interiors
Olive undertone, but on the lighter side.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 10:26PM
janiechristensen
What's wrong with granite?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 3:59AM
Andrea Prasch
I love stainless steel but in my next home I want something different. Everyone thinks I'm crazy that I want a white viking range. If this becomes a trend we will all know who started it. @janiechristenson Nothing. If you love it that's all that matters. I think it's just used so much when the countertop possibilities are endless why chose what everyone else has?
8 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:13AM
I don't think you are crazy, Andrea. I'm rooting for all appliance companies to offer the range of color choices that Viking does. It is absurd that we have such limited choices for appliance finishes and colors. I still remember the turquoise appliances of my 1960's childhood with great fondness and nostalgia!
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:18AM
Andrea Prasch
@feeny I so agree with you! Well they started giving color options in washers and dryers. Maybe kitchen appliances will be next? I'm even loving this black one!
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:27AM
leelee
I know a certain someone who might be very disappointed if I didn't mention the 4" backsplash with another backsplash added on top. You know who you are, Margo.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:33AM
leelee
Vases with sticks in them.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:34AM
leelee
Grommet drapes.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:35AM
leelee
Rugs with the same tired splashy patterns. They make me long for a chevron.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:36AM
bluenan
Table runners.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 2:40PM
olldroo
Ooops, bluenan I just bought one for Christmas - is that allowed? :))
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 3:52PM
Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
This pretty pattern can be designed, processed on the surface of marble. It will add the depth of the effect.It's a special choice for you.Just check the similar design of 3d marble wall panel.

Natural stone 3d wallart tile · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:19PM
bluenan
Lol, olldroo! To each his own, I'm just not a fan.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:46PM
olldroo
Your timing just made me laugh bluenan, I decided to update my Christmas table this year and bought a plain white cloth and a sheer Christmassy runner to put down the centre to minimalise any other decoration - gotta keep plenty of room for the food.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:58PM
bumblebee728
If I love something and put it in my home, that means I think it's beautiful. And what's 'beautiful' never goes out of style for me, unless I change my mind :)
11 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:19PM
olldroo
LOL bumblebee and it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind .................. as often as possible.
7 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:42PM
PirateFoxy
@olldroo - Yeah, I do that too. I like to look at the novelty holiday scarves that you can find - if your table isn't huge one often works well as a runner and you get a lot more in the way of style and color choices. (I put it over a white tablecloth also.)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 7:04PM
olldroo
Haven't seen a holiday scarf yet - maybe they haven't made it across the pond............... or maybe it is just too damned hot to wear one.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:04PM
PirateFoxy
@olldroo - not warm scarves, thin silky ones like you might wear with a nice dress or suit in an office environment? But they can be harder and easier to find in the US, I don't see them every year.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:09PM
halper
Seems like some people may like something UNTIL it becomes trendy. Whether you follow it or deny it, you're still letting that trend dictate what you do or don't do. Go with what you love. If it's trendy now, next year it probably won't be! ;) That said, I don't like giant mirrors. I scare myself every time I walk past one. Also, black hardwood. Beautiful... and shows dust like nobody's business. Stayed somewhere with those floors and I felt like every morning when I came downstairs they looked dirty again.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:37PM
olldroo
I assumed you meant silky or chiffon scarves but you really have to pick your days to wear anything like that, which is why they probably wouldn't really sell well here. I will keep my eyes open though, they could be draped in many ways as part of a decoration.

Would Uggh wear anything like that Chook??
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:39PM
chookchook2
Me Uggh. Granite good.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:44PM
chookchook2
Uggh wear wooly mammoth furs with croc man- bag.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 8:45PM
CDR Design
Well, I forgot one more tiring trend, but was just reminded: people who advertise on discussions.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:04AM
ewe3
@bluenan -- I hereby dub this thread "To each his own, I'm just not a fan".

Never before been conceived = thinking outside the box
A few people pick up on the concept = cutting edge
Widely known but not mainstream desired or afforded, only by those who are somebody = trendy
Everyone wants it = popular mainstream trendy
So popular that everyone has it and it's accessible to the masses = cliche'
Cliche' = tasteless
Time to think outside the box again.

I am "not a fan" of the whole concept of buying into the latest trend. "We spend money that we do not have on things we do not need to impress people who do not care." - Will Smith

We don't want a magazine-worthy show home. We want a place where people understand that they are welcome, that fellowship is why they are there. I want my home to be finished, but only in the same sense that I don't go to the grocery store in my pajamas (but I also don't go all decked out in an evening gown). We are closer to our purpose if someone does not walk in and say "wow" but sits right down and starts talking.

(I sound preachy, but I'm really just reminding myself of the mission we have for our own home. I do often get Houzz envy and start daydreaming, but it's because I can see MYSELF in that spot, not because I want to have it so I can show other people.)
16 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 4:08AM
ansley123
I'm sitting in my revere pewter living room, watching my tv over the fireplace and leaning back on my Ikat pillows looking on houzz.com.... Now depressed! Thanks everyone! Lol.
17 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 3:28PM
Barnhart Gallery
Aww, sorry ansley!
    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 3:32PM
bungalowmo
ewe3...man oh man...you hit the nail on the head!

My mom used to have a sign hanging in the kitchen that read:
"My house is clean enough to be healthy,
And dirty enough to be Happy"!!

In other words...it's clean and comfortable...even if my living room is in the middle of plaster repair smack dab in the middle of the Christmas holiday! My mantle is gorgeous, just don't look at the paint scrapings above it!

Sit back & put your feet up!
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 3:38PM
ruthmand
@ainsley123 - Hope you get a zig-zag rug for Christmas!
And ewe3 - you nailed it! Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:39PM
Andrea Prasch
@ansley123 Don't be depressed! Your living room sounds lovely! I still love revere pewter and ikat. And lucky you... paint and throw pillows are the easiest things to change out if you ever tire of them. :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 10:21AM
Don't be depressed! At all. The "pet peeves" has turned into "design styles I don't like". I would never buy a floral sofa but they can look beautiful- just not for me.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 10:36AM
Juboka Ltd
Spot on ewe3, and brendas list
Colorless spaces that have to have a pop of color to give them any life at all.
White black and gray are not colors. A cool pallete can be so dead, and unwelcoming.
Hand painted "kiss me before we say goodnight" over the bed....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaCH!
All those words as art signs that multiply in teal and brown wanna be PB homes. White subway tiles remind me of... subways... is this a positive memory? Well maybe so if you got to live in Paris. With all the wonderful colors available why does the trend become so narrow? Are we really hardly better than lemmings who follow so blindly? A perverse need to fit in? I took a long personality test at a well known outdoor products company, the result: they did not think that I "fit in" WOW THANKS for the compliment! Made me happy that I was not a common lemming:) Another peeve, why are all the cars white black or gray??? Look around you on the Hiways in LA thats what is bought. Every 55th car is red, every 100th car is green... Gotta match that exterior right? Traditional ikat is amazing.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 12:38PM
Juboka Ltd
That's fore and aft of the Cliff House master Bedroom. The colorful wedding quilt is on the bed for parties and anniversaries only. Yeah, that's me, OOAK to the core>>> Furniture, tiles and flooring (solid oak) bought on craigslist.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 12:46PM
bungalowmo
Not my cuppa:
Seeing the "shabby chic" distressed paint, on what was already an antique! This is just so wrong on so many levels.

Boring tan tiled baths & kitchens.

I never did get the whole "great room" thing.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 2:41PM
bungalowmo
@juboka...a bunch of my furnishings are CL or from one of the shops on Main St. I go there so often, they never charge me full price. I also go to auctions downtown. I have a house full of antiques for maybe $2500 total. 2 bedrooms full, living room tables & chairs. Dining set...the list goes on. All in great condition & I wouldn't dream of painting a single one.

I will admit to doing my bath in the subway tile, but the original walls were plaster scored to look like subway. The plaster around the tub was disintegrating, so I did it in what the original owner could likely not afford in 1916. Not because it was "trendy", but because it would/could have been original to the bathroom.

Pics:
My bath during restoration, an Arts & Crafts era desk that was given to me, my $50 fake Stickley rocker & last one is my dining table. Sold those chairs on CL for $100 & got unmatched carved back oak chairs for something like $5 each at the auction.

I like having things NOT so symmetrical & perfect. It's my home...I live in it & it shows. You can have some great pieces for just a little cash.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 3:00PM
Great finds bungalowmo!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 4:57PM
Kristen Costello
I still love these patterns so much! But yes, they have been on trend for a long time! I think used the right way, they can still look good.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:08PM
1807henry1
Looks that have moved on in my house are wallpaper boarders, faux finishes and stencils on the walls. Plus no more wallpaper in any room!! (:
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:13PM
tennisanyone
HUGE Clocks
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:32PM
shastacat
I hate seeing everything covered in cheap micro fiber polyester- feels soooo creepy! (Especially sofas)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 11:20PM
bungalowmo
OMG...no kidding. The feel of microfiber is enough to make my skin crawl. And to think some people have bedsheets made of this! EWWWWW!!
    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 2:52PM
PirateFoxy
@bungalowmo - I DO NOT UNDERSTAND MICROFIBER SHEETS AT ALL. WHY?
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 4:43PM
southsound
Microfiber sheets - I had the same impression until I slept on a set by Comphy. They are nothing short of amazing! Soft as the set of Charisma sheets I bought years ago and used until they just fell apart. I think Comphy sheets are sold through B&B and Inns - I ordered a set and can't wait until they get here. Perhaps there are brands that aren't as high quality as these by Comphy and deserve the "ewwww" label, but I am now a convert to these soft and supple sheet sets.
    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 4:51PM
PirateFoxy
@southsound - Aren't they sweaty, though? I always feel like they wouldn't be breathable enough.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 5:31PM
southsound
Not sweaty at all. Could NOT believe they were microfiber. They were luxurious. I first thought it was the mattress that felt so good and then figured out it was the sheets. Think a lot has to do with the brand. I would be reluctant to buy a brand other than Comphy.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 7:11PM
bungalowmo
I'm still sticking with my 100% Egyptian Cotton. At least 600 tc.
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 3:46PM
chookchook2
It's not the sheets that are sweaty, it's the other half.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 4:17PM
olldroo
Holy moly, DON'T go there Chook!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 4:27PM
chookchook2
See my resilient buildings thread for holy moly links.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 5:56PM
leelee
Bathrooms with 3 or 4 types/sizes of tiles plus square mosaics, borders and accents. This is going to go out of style and date bathrooms in just a few years (if it hasn't already).
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 6:09PM
pariscafe
Like Indianpatti and Barnhart I dislike 'word' art such as 'love' and 'home'. Also not keen on 'words of wisdom' art done in cheap mass produced way. My hairdresser said once that when the trends become mainstream and hit the suburban salons then that is the time it becomes saturated and over and done with. Much the same can be said for homewares.
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 7:07PM
hayleydaniels
I don't know if you'd call this a trend, but the thing I find troubling is how many people today can't do anything without making sure it's okay by posting about it online. I find it sad that people have to seek the approval of total strangers on how they decorate their homes. You can almost feel their angst as they consult with others over the placement of a piece of furniture. And to think that they allow people they wouldn't recognize on the street tell them when their home looks right is troubling. People need to have the confidence to decorate their home the way they and their spouse like it. And that includes paint color--go with something that makes you feel happy.

I also dislike gray as it's dreary and hate stainless steel appliances as they show the dirt. I don't like glass tile backsplashes either as they're too busy.

I don't like the modern furniture that you can't lean your head back on and relax. And I agree about word art--very silly.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 7:36PM
sunnydrew
Hayley- For me, posting a dilemma here for input from other houzzers is like taking my girlfriend shopping with me for fabric, paint or toss pillows. it s more like a collaboration. Some people have no idea where to start, but want to try. You are being a bit harsh in your assertion above. I have found it interesting what people suggest when I have posted. Most times they do not actually answer the specific question or read the whole description of what I need, but jump in with other ideas that I was not even looking for. I have found it helpful, or not, but I enjoy hearing what others think anyway.
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 7:43PM
olldroo
I agree with sunny - Hayley, it isn't that people can't do things, it is just that many people don't have someone to shop with to discuss their ideas with or validate their choices. So many silly but annoying mistakes can be made when you are really engrossed in decorating a room, it is often easy to miss the obvious, and it makes a huge difference to have someone detached from the process point out a problem or give their experience with a product. I think it is wonderful we have this facility to make life so much easier and when we are done with our own homes we can help others with theirs.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:05PM
smartin1
Please tell me suzani is not on the way out, since I just bought yards and yards of it.
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:14PM
PirateFoxy
Exactly as sunny said - I don't have anyone I can consult with in person who has the vocabulary or grasp of decorating concepts necessary to explain what they're seeing - so even though some of my friends are quite creative, they aren't always the most useful about something like picking a paint color or deciding what to use for accessorizing a room, because they just don't have the ability to say 'I think the color is right but the pattern is off' - they might SEE it, but they're not used to examining that instinct to understand what's making them have a problem with the space.

I wouldn't blindly follow the guidance of people online, but if someone who seems to have some clue about such things suggests a specific paint color, I'll probably check it out and maybe try a sample pot.

One thing I realized in cooking is that sometimes flavors will combine in unexpectedly delightful ways (particularly if you're playing with ingredients from more than one corner of the world) and I think that holds true in decorating, also - I've definitely see rooms that made me go 'wow' where if I look more closely I see things like colors or shapes I never would've picked up in a million years, because that item standing alone doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. But combine it with this other thing and it makes the space. So consulting with other people - particularly people who likely come from a much different background than I do, and thus are likely to have different taste and exposure to different things - means that someone ELSE might be aware of that thing because they actually like it, and then they suggest it and I think about it and realize how well it will work. It can be very eye-opening.
5 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 10:14PM
okdokegal
1. Teeny tiny backsplash tile (a million to the square foot) or everything MUST be subway tile.
2. Open shelving in kitchen. That always looks to me like you're too poor to have a cabinet to house and protect your dishes and cookware. You have one good greasy and oily belch from something or a smokebomb with blue pall and you will have to wash EVERYTHING to get that film off.
3. Cabinets that don't go to the ceiling in your kitchen. So you like growing spiders and dust rhinos up there?
4. Kitchens that are so dark, countertops and cabinets and they're just gloomy.
5. You can live with a kitchen that doesn't have a huge massive 'belly up to the bar' eating space.
6. The Kitchen is for cooking? I've seen where they put everything in there but the toilet and the bed; I swear.... they take up half the house and you don't dare make a fork dirty as it's front and center.

7. Open open open houseplans. Aka the trend towards there isn't a wall in the place. If you are in a highly urban shoebox (under 500 square feet) you might need some openness just to survive, but good grief. And especially master suites with the bathroom wide open. If I want to sleep IN my bathroom I'm not doing well and I don't want to share the entire experience with my better half if one of us is trying to sleep and the other one wants to use the facilities.
8. The color of the year, install it everywhere. So next season it's dated.
9. Bowl sinks. I want to remove them to clear the vanity top. Plus cleaning that edge.
10. Open under the bathroom sink so you can stick towels there. It looks great in a spa, my cat would sleep in it, the dog would snorffle them, the icky spiders would hide in them, and they collect the dust rhinos. Plus I live in the dust bowl; enclosing things is a little more prudent unless you like a coating of blowsand.

Okay this sounds like more pet peeves but they are also trends that are long running and just getting more and more prevalent... I can't wait to see most of them leave.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 11:38PM
olldroo
okdokegal - you just conjured up my worst nightmare with having the bathroom in the bedroom.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:24AM
okdokegal
I will Darzy if I get sidelined or I get the flooring in. I'm up with reflux so having caffeine and getting ready to go to work for awhile. If I can't sleep I got plenty to work on, and I can find things that don't involve air nailers or saws or the like to get all the neighbors up. :) I like features of several Houzz kitchens I've seen...

Project: Sea Cliff Hideaway · See Project
Found it. Though it won't be in this house, exactly, I so like the idea of a somewhat separated light airy kitchen, some real cabinets yet, and flowing into the next room... extended storage for that kitchen.

Sea Cliff Hideaway · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:08AM
ewe3
Agree with sunny, oldroo, pirate -- I spend so much time looking at my own space that often when it comes to decorating I can't see it at all. Sometimes if I take a picture I can see things that I am otherwise blind to. But having objective opinions from others can be extremely helpful if I am feeling stuck.

BUT, I agree in a sense with hayley also. If I have been cutting pictures of subway tiles out of magazines since long before Houzz existed (I have) and know I still like them (I do) and want to use them somewhere in my house when possible (I will), I hope I wouldn't be swayed against them because of a thread like this one. I need to be able to filter suggestions through my own preferences if I am going to be happy with the end result.
9 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 4:16AM
olldroo
ewe, taking photos is the best way of seeing seeing a room. Maybe it is because they say the camera doesn't lie. Having just done a major renovation of my house - well it still isn't quite finished yet - I have found a new ailment called 'information overload'. There are days my brain gets so clogged I totally miss the obvious ............. along with forgetting absolutely everything and talking jibberish.

Stick to your subway tiles, when you have been in love with them for so long then they are 'you'. I like to be a bit different and I do hate it though when I find something really nice and different and suddenly it becomes a trend to the point even the dogs are decorating their kennels with it. I feel all my hard work and creativity just goes down the gurgler.

When we built our house most the of the neighbours built within the space of a couple of years. After we got to know each other, we discovered most of us had used the exact same bathroom tile - even the same colour. The challenge then was to try to decorate the rooms to make them all look totally different.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 5:54AM
ewe3
LOL olldroo -- the dogs! I get overloaded pretty quickly, especially considering all the different outlets we are "supposed to" keep up with -- FB etal. I usually have to shut down mentally for a while to clear my head and sort out what is important to me vs what everyone else is saying should be important.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 7:20AM
okdokegal
ewe3, if you want subway tile, GO FOR IT and go for it with GUSTO. It's your space, do what you wish, want, and can afford! Meanwhile for me lunchbreak is over, and back to it. I need my outer wall put back together and my front door install finished...
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 9:41AM
nanipoo
some of you people should just start e-mailing each other instead of communicating through the comments section.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 11:07AM
1807henry1
Agreed, it can be excessive. Hey- this is my first comment like this (: !
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 11:21AM
bungalowmo
@nanipoo...."you people"? poo-nani
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 11:27AM
ewe3
Whoops, hope I didn't come across as defensive or apologetic. : ) That was not my intention. (I will absolutely, happily, without hesitation or apology or any offense taken use subway tile and will love it without expecting anyone else to.) I was just making a point of balance -- using subway tile as an example since it's a trend that's been frequently cited on this thread -- that as Hayley said most people do have a sense of their own preferences, even those posting a design dilemma, and shouldn't be afraid to go with those against others' opinions if they feel strongly.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 11:27AM
happyasaclam
nanipoo, Houzz is a forum for the exchange of ideas, experiences and inspiration.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:21PM
Another Thyme
Wall ovens - thank goodness!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 2:57PM
Christelle
i love revere pewter it cannot be a trend lol lol i am just starting with it lol
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:00PM
happyasaclam
Me too, Christelle! I'm lovin' my Revere Pewter :)))
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:03PM
PirateFoxy
@okdokegal - I like open kitchen shelving when used in moderation. BUT if I have it, it MUST be stainless steel or glass even if it gives the kitchen a little more of an industrial look because as you point out, it WILL get greasy and dusty and both of those surfaces are a heck of a lot easier to clean thoroughly and quickly than painted wood shelves.

I mostly use it right near the stove for frequently used pots and pans - things that are in use often enough that they don't have time to build up much ick, and like I said the shelves themselves are easy to wipe down.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 4:24PM
olldroo
Christelle and happyasaclam - I am interested to know if you are using flat or eggshell finish in the Revere Pewter. I have heard, via the little chats we have here, that the colour looks totally different in flat finish to eggshell.
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 5:18PM
happyasaclam
I used eggshell. I can see that there may indeed be a difference in perceived color because of the finish. Revere Pewter is one of those colors that is really light sensitve, so too speak. The light would tend to be absorbed more than reflected with the flat finish and the opposite would be true for the eggshell. I chose eggshell because it can take a little scrubbing. :))
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:32PM
olldroo
Apparently, from what I hear, it does change colour according to the light in the room but the flat goes quite dead. We don't have Eggshell so don't know what it is exactly, probably what we would call Low Sheen - definitely need paint that can be cleaned.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:36PM
chookchook2
Need people on our TV show, read comments from last 2days

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/769181
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:47PM
olldroo
Chook, you are barking mad!!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 7:11PM
Christelle
I use Benjamin moore matte in Aura Base !!!! is not super washable , but hey it's absolutely gorgeous I am willing to take my roller back out if needed retouch the color is worth it at least in my house !!! it brighten up my whole downstairs and I am at this minute painting my hallways and staircase with it :) I also have my family room painted revere pewter I love it :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 8:17AM
Christelle
i am absolutely agree with happyasaclam light will read different in my hallway it's more of a blue undertone so far , at night it's grey , downstairs it read more GReige and beautiful soft /true grey depending time of day . Matte is the lowest shin available and i believe in flat the color could be bah i can see it :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 8:19AM
happyasaclam
That's just how we love our chook! Barking mad!! Or not....... :D
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 8:40AM
Blondiesloft
For me, I'm not a trendy kind of decorator, however I do add a touch of "trendy" within the accessories.(pillows,throws, etc.) This way, when we are in the mood for change, it is easily obtained by changing those design items only:( On the more costly items (upholstery, and cased goods) I encourage neutrals on the upholstery, and transitional styling, so that these items can evolve effortlessly into a new design. I believe "trendy" is fun and fresh, BUT in small doses!, Choosing a Transitional design style, will save you $$$$ and bring you many years of joy!!!
11 Likes    Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 6:49AM
lvstotrvl
I agree with you 100%. It's nice to know I'm not as out of style as I thought I was! :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 10:42AM
bungalowmo
@blondiesloft...Couldn't agree more. That is why, when I did a restoration in my bathroom, I used period appropriate tile. Subway for walls & black hex for the floor. With a black & whiite bath, I can change paint & linens to any color I choose & it will always fit in.

Can't do that with a baby-poo tan tile.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 2:17PM
Blondiesloft
@bungalowmo... baby-poo...lol...you made me giggle!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 2:33PM
bungalowmo
You know that color...
1 Like    Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 4:26PM
olldroo
Looks better than baby nappy yellow.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 6:16PM
leelee
The new LED Christmas lights. Very un-Christmasy and harsh.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 5:21AM
Maddy Montemayor
OPEN FLOOR PLANS!!! Yes it's nice to have an open area in some rooms but I HATE walking into a house where I can see the kitchen, dining room, and living room in one eye shot. Most people do not know how to deisgn one big room to make different areas for different purposes, so it looks like a gymnasium with furniture. Walls are a great thing! more room to put beautiful decor on! :) This is why my house is 200 years old, lots of rooms and doors!
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 1:03PM
southernkimbo
ya know what, I'm the one who has to live with what I see every day... I want stuff that makes me happy : D ditto the SS in the kitchen (other than my sink). I love black and bought it on purpose. Somebody else must like it too, or the big box stores wouldn't have it. I do have a glass backsplash, but its pretty neutral - like the shine. My fave colors are anything in the blue/green realm, red, white and black. The combinations are endless : D I am also poor (only in home decor funds) and would rather shop in secondhand stores than anywhere else. I love "shopping" in my own house when its time for a change. Seasons are easy - darker muted shades of my faves for fall, lighter brighter for spring/summer, and Christmas is a ball. Love my secondhand living room furniture in off white - pillow swap!! BTW, my honey has a moose head with removable antlers that he got as a white elephant Christmas gift one year... refuses to part with it, although not wall-mounted. We LOVE to steal the moose and make him reappear in a different spot (like the back of the car window). I do live love and laugh but don't want to be reminded to do so... and I love the "go away" doormat, wish I had one. you made me lol... tired of that phrase too... I'm new to this site, but I just love you guys - it's one of the nicest boards I've ever posted to. I will have fun visiting! We downsized last year and are putting the finshing touches on our "cottage". Hope to post pics and brag a little when its done. One person will be happy, me. Happy New Year everyone : D God bless
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:58AM
Delmarva Blinds & Shutters
I like the zebra look
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:18PM
Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets Inc.
There is no such thing of trends. There are 7 billion people on mother earth & people pick and choose what they want when they want. maybe this post should be titled... "what is getting on my nerves right now!?" ..However I would love to see the trend of 12 x24 tiles take a seat back and bring back the classic 12x12
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 11:40PM
olldroo
Choice Granite, you make a very good point. Decorating is like fashion some seasons women's skirts are short, other seasons they are long and despite what you may like or what suits you the current trend is all you can buy. Somewhere out there amongst those 7 billion people are a small minority pulling the strings and deciding what the masses will buy or use - and the masses have no say. The words "in" and "out" when it comes to fashion and decorating should be banned. This is how "trends" do happen, it is denying the masses freedom of choice, the strong bullying the weak into believing their way is the only way instead of encouraging people to be creative and giving them the strength and confidence to think and choose for themselves.
5 Likes    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 10:45PM
bikini_chicken
Thank God for gray, I was getting really sick of beige.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 11:12PM
ruthmand
Choice Granite, you are so right about the tile choices. Not only is it hard to find anything other than 12x24 it is also very difficult to find floor tile without much movement/pattern in it. It all looks like stone, travertine or granite.

Oh, and the day will come when everyone will be getting really sick of gray : )
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:11AM
hayleydaniels
ruthmand, thank-you for acknowledging that gray is a dying trend. Why on earth anyone would want to paint their walls a dark dank depressing color is beyond me. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have 9 months of gray rainy days a years so if I want to see gray, all I have to do is open my curtains and I'm surrounded by it.

I also marvel at how people are such slaves to trends. Why not make your house reflect YOUR personality, not the dictates of society in the form of interior decorators?? There might only be certain things you can buy as oldroo mentioned, but you can buy any color of paint you want, but people are too afraid to not paint their homes 50 shades of gray.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:30AM
lvstotrvl
Well I for one love gray, I have loved it for the last 20 yrs. I also don't follow trends. It has always been very difficult to find gray until recently. There are many shades of gray to choose from. I certainly wouldn't paint my walls dark gray or any dark color for that matter, but I love all the accessories.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 12:19PM
lrm1
Well now I am depressed! LOL! We just did a major remodel, I have canvas cabinets, granite, SS kitchen. Beige walls, PB brushed canvas slipcovered furniture, and a trellis rug in LR. I didn't know I was at the tail end of "trends" I got what I loved...
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:07PM
lrm1- tell the trend setters to talk to the hand lol
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:10PM
If you think of trends in terms of availability rather than prescriptive taste it is much more freeing. So don't be depressed, lrm1. As long as you love what you have purchased and want to live with it whether it is in fashion or not, you can be thankful that the trend meant that brushed canvas slipcovered furniture, trellis rugs, and stainless steel appliances were readily available for you to use in your designs.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:26PM
lvstotrvl
"lrm1"- Your remodel sounds wonderful, don't follow the trends, follow what you love & enjoy!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:33PM
PirateFoxy
I wanted a gray room for years, I love stainless steel in the kitchen, I dislike the big rectangular floor tiles, particularly in rooms that are really too small for a tile of that kind of size... Just pick and choose what you like from what's available due to trends, and remember that if something particularly flashy and trendy catches your eye, you need to be really sure you love it before getting it in an investment piece. (I.e. an expensive sofa with a chevron print would be something you really want to be sure you love, but if you just like the graphic lines of the chevron and think it spices things up, maybe go with a small rug or throw pillows instead so you won't be upset if you get tired of it in a year or two. :) )
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 6:33PM
olldroo
Hayleydaniels - it is great there is such a huge choice in paint colours, about the only thing there is still choice in and colours can even be specially mixed to match colour schemes, the big issue is one just can't choose a colour one likes and that suits a room in a home and then expect to find furniture, furnishings and accessories to match, blend or co-ordinate with that colour because of the limitations caused by "trends". What made me see red most was when I would ask for a specific colour in a shop and be told by a "know-all" sales assistant that no one was buying that colour this year.

I do agree with your comment on grey and the area you live in - I am the opposite, I am surrounded by nature, trees, bright blue skies and all the sunlight I can want, it is beautiful to embrace makes one feel good to be alive so why would I not want to bring that into my home too. I did consider some greys in my home when I was doing my renovation, especially after seeing some lovely rooms on Houzz, but every shade I tried just went dead on the walls and to make matters worse I wanted to put cheerful yellow curtains with it, but yellow wasn't a decorating colour last year. The walls are now painted yellow.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 6:46PM
purplewatermelon
The glass, marble, stone mix is barfy:
10 Square Feet - Bliss Cappucino Random Strip Glass and Stone Mosaic Tiles · More Info
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 7:05PM
ruthmand
jenakeroyd - not blissful, eh? Not much like a good or even random cappuccino either? You got to love these names!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:13PM
olldroo
Oooh, I really love that tile - in someone else's house, I think it is gorgeous but I know I would get sick of it too quickly and it would really scream "Made in 2013" every time I looked at it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:51PM
myhouse2ok
Granite is beautiful, it adds character to the kitchen and so much nicer than the "ugh" tile I had. I remember what my contractor said when he saw his cabinets in and the granite in place . "Wow.....oh wow!" I just would love to find a backsplash that is neutral enough so when we do sell our home in about a year, it'll still be appealing to all. I have a very mild veined Sienna Bordeaux, not too busy and white cabinets. I love my new kitchen and wish I could take it with me when we go.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 12:43PM
Tired of Tuscan decor. Need cheap change. HELP!
What can I do with this sofa to change look of room?...
klhancher
What if you could start over?
Having just read all the interesting comments on “Tiring...
will this new black wood furniture trend last?
I am really digging this new black wood furniture trend...
justinekarl
Bright & Fresh - The Lemon Zest Trend Comes to Life!
One of the hottest color trends right now is Lemon...
Decor & You DC
Exterior is tired looking, door and shutter color?
Our house is up for sale and has been said it is "tired"...
Mich
In Serious Need of Curb Appeal
Hi, Our house is in desperate need of some curb appeal....
lhoffie
Backsplash for kitchen
Having trouble deciding what tile to use for backsplash....
sbaran464
Does this room work?
Trying to get this dining room/ small sitting room...
natanddan
Dining room decor
Hi guys, give me some ideas on decorating my dining...
sham814
need help to decorate my wall space in the living room..
need help to decorate my wall space in the living room....
rinuliz123
Sponsored Products
Blue Bosque Wool Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Design Element DEC026 Sierra 40-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - DEC026
$999.00 | Hayneedle
Wood Samples: Bruce Flooring American Vintage Mocha Oak Engineered Scraped
$10.00 | Home Depot
Sea Gull Lighting Pendant Lights Holman 1-Light Brushed Nickel Pendant Satin
$75.60 | Home Depot
Beetroot Purple Aviary Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Dimond Haven Multiple Oval Design Table Lamp D2211 - D2211
$218.00 | Hayneedle
Ramon Soler by Nameeks US-2682 Thermostatic Shower Mixer - RAMON SOLER US-2682
$886.97 | Hayneedle
Carnation Home Fashions Ez On Grommet Style Stripe Eva Shower Curtain Multicolor
$16.99 | Hayneedle