Designing a creative space with no open walls?! Help!
Lindsay Braman
For single ladies like me, Thanksgiving means the one time a year when you can count on a team of men bribe-able to move furniture! ;-) I took advantage of the opportunity and had them move tons of stuff! The result is that my sunporch is opened up and ready to be turned into a creative space for me!

I'm really challenged by this room, however, as it is long (18 foot), narrow (9ft) and has a 36" door at either end. To further complicate it, the east wall is all windows, and of the 18ft of west wall, 5ft is taken up by the large entry!

80 years ago when the house was built this would have been the formal entry to the house, but more recent updates direct visitors to a side entrance with a cute porch and mudroom, so I want to turn this into a comfortable space to read and create art and enjoy a morning coffee.

I have a desk (about 3ftx4ft) and an 8 foot Ektorp sofa I'd like to make work in here... but every time I move furniture around in this room it just looks like furniture in a hollow, empty room. :-( Can anyone offer some ideas or shopping tips to make this room "Work". My style is traditional with a modern-country look.... would like to find a way to creatively display my collection of white planters and art supplies....

panorama on flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/curlylindsay/11122097063/
It's a beautiful room with a wonderful view...so why have you arranged it with your back to all of that? Flip your furniture. Put the seating where you show the desk; include a table for your book and your coffee or wine.

On the long window wall, I would probably do a very long open counter with storage underneath. (Indeed, that's exactly what I did do in my own painting studio.) Get a couple of short cabinets to hold your art supplies, or Ikea Expedits with bins. Put one on each end and span the distance with an Ikea countertop.

Now, whether reading or doing art, you're facing the view.
November 29, 2013 at 1:46PM     
I was at Ikea anyway, so I picked up a few things for your room.
November 29, 2013 at 2:39PM        Thanked by Lindsay Braman
rinqreation
I think those shelves in front of the windows were not a bad idea at all! Nice space you have there! I agree on groveraxle to always face outdoors. Place the sofa against the empty wall.
You could add some white shelving just above doorframe height, to create storage space (pretty boxes with labels) so there is less stuff on/in/under your desk. You do have a goodlooking desk, but it's not in the right place there. The area above the shelves could look great painted white (airy feel) or a fun color. A patterned rug, some cute fabric curtains (even if just for show).
HOME OFFICE DESKS by architect designer Pedro Feduchi
Casa Corbino - AIA Austin Homes Tour 2013
Southampton Moroccan
Scandinavian Modern Condominium
November 29, 2013 at 2:59PM        Thanked by Lindsay Braman
rinqreation
:)
November 29, 2013 at 2:59PM   
rinqreation
An old french door or shutter with a glass cover? A rustic single plank on steel/wood consoles?
Joan Marie Ballard
Feldman Architecture
November 30, 2013 at 2:22AM   
Lindsay Braman
Thank you guys! Your ideas were all so, so helpful! I think I used an idea from every poster.. that never happens on here. ;-P

Here's what it looks like a week later! I'm pretty pleased! I know some spaces (esp shelves!!) look unfinished but I'm a big believer in "curated" decorating rather than going shopping for "stuff" to fill the space, so I'll have to be a little patient to find the right things.
December 8, 2013 at 10:51AM     
Nice job! If you could work in a rug it would warm things up a bit.
December 8, 2013 at 11:48AM   
Need help to turn garage wall into a creative space
I'd like to turn one plain cream coloured plasterboard...
Help with Open Living Space Design in Old Mill
Need ideas of furniture layout for living and dining...
Need help designing an open dining/living room space
I would love to get ideas on how I could reconfigure...
Help to design my open space of living and dining room!!
I have recently installed laminated flooring which...
Need to design older creative-type teen girl room in a small space
We are moving into a large house, with some huge room,...
Tackling the space above the kitchen cabinets
I'm looking to replace the decor above the cabinets;...
kitchen cabinets
We are having our cabinets made out of oak with plywood...
Create a functional office and study.
This is going to be my office and workshop where I...
Do you need a realtor when you build a new house
We are thinking of building a new house. Does working...
HELP PLEASE BEDROOM FINISH
Hi! Please help me in designing our bedroom. My sister...