Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenae385

Coordinate sunroom area rug with living room area rug

greenae385
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have purchased an area rug for my living room, and now need to find one for the adjoining 12 x 8 sunroom. The living room has a red/green/blue paisley sofa, dark brown leather chair and handcrafted medium color wooden rocker. Living room walls are Ben Moore Rich Cream. The sunroom is separated by an arch and the walls are Ben Moore Philipsburg Blue. The wood trim is dark, the floors medium tone wood with mahogany color edging. I have a chocolate brown small sectional for the sunroom, opposite the TV. I really need help figuring out a rug for the sunroom/TV room. Lotsa traffic! (The sunroom pic has "before" furniture) Living room has 2 stained glass windows each with a tulip like blue flower with green leaves and the fireplace has burgundy bricks and a simple dark wooden mantel. The radiator is gone (yay!) from the sunroom...Now have baseboard heat, which will be hidden by the new brown sectional. And those white blinds are headed for the trash, as is the large TV unit.-- A new flat screen and small profile TV stand on order....0h no...what kind of window treatments?

Comments (41)

• PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    Beautiful floor. I would personally start by looking for a new rug that was either the same type or in the same family of colors - but not both.
    greenae385 thanked HERE Design and Architecture
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oops, I messed up with pics...adding attached living room pics...
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pic 1 is of new LR rug, couch fabric and chair color.
    Pic 2 is 1 of stained glass windows, on either side of fireplace
    Pic 3 is "Before" LR. I am keeping the rocker, and switching to right side of fireplace.
    Pic 4 is looking from dining room towards sunroom. Dining room has olive green (BM-Galapagos green) on lower half of wall, chair rail, and creamy yellow (BM-Barley) on top, red and navy blue accents in wall border above chair rail. (Green and blue grapes, Red, burgundy, mauve flowers, and I LOVE the border)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You have some very nice things to work with there. The sofa fabric seems a little intense in comparison to the rug. I think that I might wait until they were both in the room together to see how it felt before I bought an additional rug.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I picked the rug, and an Ethan Allen designer picked the couch fabric...and I am a little afraid...LOL...I do like paisley, and the couch has simple lines and is only 78," so hopefully it won't be too intense. I am looking at some rugs for the sunroom that have ivory/beige backgrounds and larger flowers/vines with red/blue and green...just afraid of the light background...
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    or this one for sunroom? It will have sectional and ottoman covering a lot of it.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh my...I just noticed how sooty fireplace was in that pic! I have cleaned it since :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    In my experience, this kind of problem (two spaces: one cozy, one more open, with two rugs and different furnishings, open to one another) boils down to a question of the visual weight of the various items and their relationships. So, relative size, quantity of light, how busy a pattern is, etc. all matter. You might select a couple of possibilities from the same vendor as the other rug and ask to have them delivered on approval at the same time, after the sofa has been installed. That will allow you to look at all of them together before you make any final decision about the second rug.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have sooo much dark wood in this 1926 colonial house. And I do like color, especially jewel tones. I keep the blinds open all day, so maybe some kind of shutters would work for me? Do you have pics/ideas?
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ HERE...The dark wood trim (Everywhere, except the kitchen!) darkens my home. And the colors I enjoy are also dark---but the sunroom is sunny...whew! I can't afford anything else from Ethan-not sure what possessed me the day I bought the couch and rug?!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I have never yet had a good experience with interior shutters, unfortunately. They always sag in my experience. It is possible that I just haven't seen the right ones, but, I have really given up on them. I think blinds look great on your windows. You could use a matchstick that was related to the window trim, or a heavy nubby silk, or a linen. You could even try a botanical or an embroidered fabric - although I would want to wait until you had the rugs etc. if you were going to do that. :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think changing or removing the valance will help. It is pretty dark and heavy looking.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    oh yes...those are going tomorrow!
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And I was thinking of matchstick, in different shades of wood! I only close them at night, and I just wanted some sort of curtain or valance of fabric to soften all that wood.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Maybe let the furnishings and rugs be soft and go ahead and let the house be a little crisp. It has a nice craftsman aesthetic, and I don't think it needs softening, personally.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So, I could just use something like this on the windows http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is-viewers382//dhtml/images/spacer.gif
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That address isn't working for some reason?
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ugh...trying to figure out
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That looks promising. I would prefer something with less visible stitching, but, that's definitely a good direction.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, those are the cheapees...I was thinking varying wood tones would be better than total contrast, or trying to match up with the trim.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Some variation is good, but, I think it should be related to the trim.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, I will start looking...wood floors are getting sanded and poly-ed next week... couches, coffee table, ottoman and rug coming in 2 weeks--Yikes! i have a lot to do!
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    If you want privacy but sunlight, I would use the top down bottom up type shades that Hunter Douglas makes. My house was built in 1927 and also has a sunroom off the living room and that is what was in the room when we bought the house. I love them.
    greenae385 thanked sbrustein
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I will look at them...I need something that can handle a lot of "manhandling," LOL. I open the windows often and the blinds/shades will be opened and closed several times a day, when the TV is in use. We didn't have much luck with shades. My OCD wants them to always look neat and be opened/closed to exactly the same height. :)
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    these 2 rugs in the adjoining rooms?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It's really hard to tell on the screen. Rugs are something that really need to be seen up close, in my experience. But I think these would be worth taking on approval.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The one on the left I am definitely keeping for the living room. The one on the right is a possibility for the sunroom/TV room. And yes, so hard to tell on the puter. I have my fingers crossed for delivery day, we've been painting and plastering for too long! LOL .
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I need ideas for lamps for the living room and some sort of pole lamp for the TV room, to go behind the sectional, or at the right end. With my colors I am thinking antique brass?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would also look at other arts and crafts metals - bronze, copper, iron, etc.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh I Like copper! I have a coffee table with small square copper tiles in the center, maybe it can work with either couch?!
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For the TV/sunroom
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fabric valance? or blinds, alone?
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    That blue is "off"...It's BM Philipsburg Blue, A grayish-blue. Like in the Persian rug.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I prefer blinds plain. Lets you see the windows.
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe I should go with 2" faux wooden blinds, then. The real wood will warp in the sun, I'm thinking?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I have not had that experience but maybe someone else has?
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Actually, my Levolor faux wood warped in my bedroom, right above the sunroom...those rooms get sun all day...face west. I will have to check out which is better?
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I ordered Levolor Nuwood 2" blinds in Chestnut. Now that my 87 year old floors have been refinished, I don't care if the rugs and furniture never come...LOL
  • greenae385
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    oops, left one out. And pic with dogs is a "Before."