Need a new rug - modern shag or low pile traditional/Solid or pattern?
jballa
I hope these photos are good enough. This room is a shared dining/living area. Currently I have an area rug underneath the dining table and another area rug in the living area. Neither of the rugs were purchased specifically for this space -- I have had them forever & that is why they were used. My goal is to get a large enough area rug for the living area and possibly get rid of the dining area rug altogether. The rug in the living area is 5'x8' and is too small. I believe I will need an 8' x 10'. The dimensions of the room are about 21' x 15' -- about 14' x 14' is used for the living space; the rest is used for dining space. Here is the dilemma: My very-opiniated husband wants a modern shag rug in a medium or dark grey tone, and while I like this idea, especially in large spaces, I believe it would add volume to an already cluttered room. I am leaning toward a lower pile area rug-- one that would look more elegant. I am not committed to either idea, however. Does anyone have any suggestions? Other notes: One wall is a light blue/grey. The other walls are off white (we are not even supposed to paint, but we did anyway). We also have 2 cats and I read that shag rugs are harder to keep clean that a lower pile rug. I don't mind the traditional looking area rug because we live in a pre-war apartment building (948 sq ft) with crown molding & coffered ceilings, so I think the look fits, we just need a larger rug. Basically all of the furniture in our space is a hodgepodge of stuff that my husband and I had prior to our marriage -- I think it is pretty obvious we have had no professional help. I also itching to get new dining room chairs -- the ones we have are too large & worked in our old apartment which was a huge renovated modern loft space. My feelings will not get hurt if there are any criticisms -- I just want ideas,, colors, suggestions. Thanks!
jballa
Oops here are the photos. Please don't mind the messy TV area & the cat on the blanket on the couch.
    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 2:45PM
dclostboy
I'm a huge fan of the Mitchell Gold power shag rug in gargoyle color.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jballa    November 30, 2013 at 2:56PM
Vizard Design
Stick with a low pile rug, they are more elegant and above all easy to keep clean. Shag rugs are a pain to clean, and with pets can end up absorbing a lot of dirt and odor.

You could look at products likes Flor tiles. They come in a variety of textures and colors at almost every price point. Best of all they are easy to clean and if they are ever damaged all you need to do is replace one tile.
http://www.flor.com/lacebark-pearl.html
    Bookmark   Thanked by jballa    November 30, 2013 at 3:07PM
jballa
My husband LOVES the shag, but I think I am leaning toward the low pile as was suggested by Vizard. I am looking into the FLOR product as well. Thanks to you both -- I really appreciate it!
    Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 4:10PM
dclostboy
Flor tiles do not stand up well to puppy pee...I know.
    Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:51PM
Looking for ideas to modernize this traditional living/dining
I've been agonizing over what to do with the wall (that...
Alma Solomon
Modern Rug and Traditional Fireplace.
We are having second thoughts about our rug purchase...
ryaninns
Need to find a chandelier that ties traditional & modern
I need to find a chandelier to tie in these canvases...
trishdalish
Transitioning from traditional to modern
I am in the process of transitioning my home from what...
texielevy
Love our modern furniture, but too stark! Needs warmth!
We just bought a condo. We haven't moved in yet (so...
kessieblue
do they cut 12 foot slabs of granite or do i HAVE to have a seam?
I have my heart set on an exotic granite, but I am...
renovationkit2015
Living room dilemma
Need help arranging furniture n this room.
susanjbaker
Window treatment suggestions?
Hi Houzzers, should mention the eating area will be...
Melissa Felber
Long narrow living room
Desperate for a revamp, any suggestions. I like fairly...
glann
Material for drapery interlining
I'm having a Roman shade made with lining and interlining...
lutine