Small living room with a large window
Stephanie Pichner
We are moving into a 1960s split entry soon. The whole house needs updating, so my I have little mental energy to deal with the living room. I just can't picture how this room should be laid out. The photo is taken at the corner by the opening to the kitchen. There is a short wall and the doorway to the informal dining area can be seen on the right. It is pretty much a small rectangle and a blank slate. I have a Klippan love seat, two Poang chairs, a media cabinet and TV, a couple of bookcases and a small end and coffee table for this room. I'm not sure where the furniture should go. The window has me stumped because it takes up so much of the wall and is so close to the floor. Is this common? I feel like a couch should go there but so much would be seen from outside. I hate curtains and window treatments, so I do the minimum required. Any thoughts?
Lara Johnson
I wouldn't put the couch in front of the window. It looks like you have a great view! Are you putting a tv in here? If not, arrange seating around the view/window! I'm not big into curtains and such either, but you might have to just to accent the window!
0 Likes   November 30, 2013 at 10:00PM
Stephanie Pichner
Yes, there will be a TV in the room, so that effects where the seating will be. The house is on a cul de sac, so nothing spectacular, but a nice view of the yard an neighbors.
0 Likes   November 30, 2013 at 10:05PM
memayfield
Maybe a midcentury modern sectional with a chaise on the window side would look good? Those couches are lower profile and tend not to block as much as a standard couch would...
0 Likes   November 30, 2013 at 10:29PM
Stephanie Pichner
I failed to mention that I will have to work with the furniture I already have. There isn't any room in the budget for new pieces, especially since its all in great shape.
0 Likes   November 30, 2013 at 10:45PM
Stephanie Pichner
Also, I am considering whether or not we should paint all the trim in the house. The question is, if we paint the trim, should we paint the doors as well? Also, many of the windows are brown instead of white, and since they are new, I can't justify the expense of replacing them. I think painting the trim white would look tacky with the windows brown. Am I correct?
0 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 11:12AM
samantams
Hi Stephanie
My living room is very similar, and the big window is one of my favorite things at home! I would place the Klippan right there, and the chairs on the left wall, near your kitchen. You could also do the opposite, with the chairs on the window wall.
The tv and media cabinet, I'd place on the right wall, as long as they don't block the passage. Not sure if you'll have enough room for the coffee table and bookcases.
I wouldn't paint anything, since you said it's all new. It looks lovely in the picture.
You could get a simple blackout blind or shutter for the window - it will certainly make a difference when watching tv, and it will not look bulky. Hope this helps! :-)
0 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 11:42AM
Small living room with 3 entrances (2 large 1 small) Help with layout.
Need some help with what type of furniture/layout to...
vill4franca
Where to put a large TV in a small living room.
Debating where to put the big flat screen TV in the...
hotshot5
How to make a small living Room look large
How do i make a small living Room look large?
deesandoval
Small Formal Living Room vs. Large Sofa
My formal living room is 13.5' x 13'. I have fallen...
Dianne Tarter Briggs
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
Copper Chambers stove ~ keep or scrap?
In our new home, not only do we have the one of a kind...
Jackie Confer
How can I tell if my windows are aluminum of vinyl?
I once assumed that all aluminum windows were silver...
deniskhoo
Help my wall!
I was given these framed images by my grandfather who...
dolphinbaby
Need help for my living room
hi to every one i have 2 red sofas and a black...
kareine