What to do with small bathroom floor?
todayisthursday
Plans for our new home's bathroom include swapping out the tub for a cast-iron and the vanity for something better, probably double-sink if we can find one that fits - but if we take out this tub, we're going to have to put floor underneath it. The floors are in fine condition and not hideous, but they're not my taste or color (I hate beige/tan/etc) and under normal circumstances I would just redo the floors while we're in there, but the problem is the shower. It's tiled in the exact same tile, and re-doing the shower is just not in the budget. Options we thought of:
1) try to find the same tile and just live with the tan because at least it matches - this is probably do-able since most of this home seems Home Depot-ed, and is probably the most sensible option, except putting in a cast-iron tub and a new vanity may in fact wreck whatever's left on the floor beyond saving, and/or if we can't replicate it:
2) put in completely different floors (I like big white and black retro-style tiles, but could be persuaded in other directions) and just live with the mismatch until we can save up enough money to redo the shower too (probably at least a few years)
3) put in floors we like better, but work in a tan border to tie in with the shower - this seems the best option style-wise, and potential resale-wise (should we need/want to sell before we can afford the shower re-do) but also could be pricey, and also I need ideas of what will look good. =)
touchadream
A simple white floor with white vanity and top would look sleek and new. There is also a great new porcelain tile that looks like rusty metal which I think would make a great looking floor with white fixtures, and blend well with your tan shower. I did the black and white in my last house and it was not a good choice for resale--limited my design choices over the years, too.
December 1, 2013 at 12:34am   
Jeremy Smith
We put in the dal tile white octagons with black dots, grouted with black in our washrooms. It looks awesome. Then start saving for a new shower. White acrylic, looks decent and cleaning is so much easier than trying to keep tile looking good.
December 1, 2013 at 2:15am   
CoHo Properties, Inc.
What type of bathroom is this? Master? Guest? or Kids? I personally would not worry about matching the floor tile with the shower floor tile. But if you want to coordinate - then I would advise looking at Slate or Travertine tile that offers a variety of colors within each tile...that way you don't have to find the exact shade of tan within your existing shower tile.
December 1, 2013 at 3:48am   
CoHo Properties, Inc.
Just had another thought...cut a row out of the shower wall tile and replace it with a mosaic tile and pencil border of a similar tile that you will use on the floor....this will allow you to better compliment your new floor tile with the existing shower tile.
December 1, 2013 at 3:51am     
epollert
Try Ikea for a double sink vanity. We love ours and they come in different sizes.
Just make sure you read the directions for the pluming that comes with it. Our plummer didn't and it caused problems/ delayed the project bc the product is European.

As for the tiles, I don't think you have to match the tiles as long as they go together. A darker tile with some variations of tan in it might tie things in nicely. Plus the you can uses a dark grout which is so much easier to keep clean. I'd buy a few single tiles and mock it up.
December 1, 2013 at 5:42am   
How do I choose tile patterns in a small bathroom? Floor, shower, wall
Is there a rule of thumb when choosing tile patterns...
Small bathroom...what to do?
Help! We just moved and this is our only bathroom....
Bathroom, small area, what to do?! Idea's please :)
I am looking to redo the entire room, would like to...
What would you do with this small bathroom?
The floor tiles have to go, and I want to install a...
What kind of artwork looks best here ?
I have a huge empty wall in my living room. The room...
Too small coffee table
I'm in love with a table but it's a little too small...
Need help flipping this living room!
Just bought this home. Will have maroon leather couch,...
Living Room Project
Here is my living room project that I have been working...
Rug Shape
I wanted to put an roung rug under my rectangular dining...