Wall Color, Curtains and Any Living Room Redecor Suggestions Please!
ellenhunny
My husband and I just moved into a small home next to the harbor with existing pink marble floor and beech wood shelves. The place has an old feel which we'd like to update to a more contemporary feel. We would like to repaint the walls and get new curtains but don't know what color scheme would match the floor and the shelves. Our living room and kitchen are connected and we have no idea what to do to make our new house feel like home. Thanks for any suggestions!!!
The marble wall behind the TV looks to be a fireplace flanked by built-in bookcases. If so, I'd put the TV and credenza opposite the FP and float a sofa and two chairs perpendicular to them so you could enjoy both FP and TV, plus the view. Painting woodwork and built-ins would make a major difference in the feeling, but if you like the wood, don't do that. Cover a great deal of the marble with large wool sisal-look area rugs, drapes with a natural linen look fabric. Do you entertain dinner guests? I think I'd replace the bistro table and chairs with a bench and trestle or pedestal table to have more floor space in the kitchen. Here's a tutorial on greige, a great neutral to paint throughout your space since it is so open. Then accent with your favorite colors, as long as they don't look too harsh with the pink marble.
1 Like   December 1, 2013 at 5:52AM
ellenhunny
Thanks for th great suggestions! Greige is the exact color scheme we had in mind. Glad to know we were at least on the right track. I'm not a fan of the wood but I'm not sure painting them is an option. The marble wall goes all the way to the floor, no fire place. Maybe we can swap the couch with the tv stand... Any suggestions for a new coffee table?
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 6:32AM
apple_pie_order
Congratulations on your new place. The floor and the beechwood are attractive. I'd pick out some curtain fabric for the living room, or ready made curtains, in an off white. Light colors will work better because the bright sunlight from the harbor view will cause them to fade. Then match the paint color to floor and curtain colors. There are lots of greige tones, also pinky beiges that may work well.

Replacing the chandelier in the dining area will go a long way to an updated feel.

A contemporary interior often has sleek lines that show to advantage with minimal stuff around them. Try seasonal rotation of decorative objects rather than displaying all simultaneously. For a coffee table, try glass. There are both metal and wood glass tables, so take a look to see what appeals to you.
1 Like   December 1, 2013 at 6:49AM
With the pink/peachy marble you may want to take your time finding the right greige. Try sample pots and paint 12" squares in the center of white poster board or foam core and hang them around the space for a couple of days and nights to see how they work with the light and with the pink. I'm guessing from the pix that is is a warmer pink, but monitors can lie. If you're keeping the sofa, consider that beige color too.
2 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 9:45AM
Living room help. Please read details. Any suggestions for this room would be great!
Need help with lauout and furniture ideas. l will move...
Sheila Haugen
Need help redecorating this room. Any suggesting?
I would like to change my whole color scheme. Want...
angelete3
living room any suggestion please respond....
The photo captures the living area with two over size...
jairu
Want to Redecorate my living room....starting with curtains. HELP!!!!
Please help me begin redecorating my telling me the...
amcmonagle
Blue tooth shower head
Wanted to share This is a bathroom I just finished....
DS Tile And Marble
Living Room Arrangement Help
We are looking for advice on how to make our living...
sazak
Dining room turned utility room...
We are a family of five with three little kids and...
oceankids04
Need help with lightening stain on wood. Pickled faux?
The color of this wood makes the room so dark. I wanted...
susankirk1
Need a color for an accent wall
We are building a new house and the majority of the...
Karen Low