What color accent pillows? Ideas?
jtlynn5
Need to buy new accent pillows. I was thinking maybe a warm orange? What patterns? Or should I go with solids?
jtlynn5
So hard to figure out with the multi color pillow cushions
December 1, 2013 at 10:03am   
Renate Ruby Design
I would actually add some larger cushions in the neutral of the sofa first. The scale of your scatter pillows is too small compared to the seat cushions. After that look for different sized pillows (20x20 down to a lumbar size) and at least one should have a print. Also - don't forget about trims. That is a great way to create pop with pillows.
December 1, 2013 at 10:09am     
Just from your photo the colours needs a little it of pepping up. I would definitely bring out some of the warm orange in the picture above and perhaps find a geometric circular design to echo it. I think you need to balance the design in the picture with some visual movement lower down on the sofa
Fontana
Mill Valley "home Sweet home"
December 1, 2013 at 10:11am   
jtlynn5
I like that idea. I was thinking some warm orange pillows with some sort of circle pattern
December 1, 2013 at 10:13am   
nancycronk
Rebel that I am, I would throw in some bold contrast, like a geometric pattern that has bright green in it. I think the colors are a little dated for my taste. Hope that's not too harsh. The great thing about pillows is they are inexpensive, and if you don't like them, no big deal. Simply cover them with another fabric or replace them altogether! Be creative!
December 1, 2013 at 10:16am   
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Good advice from Renate Ruby...think about doing a smaller geometric that is NOT circles...diamonds, squares, etc. Repeat your round designs & geometrics in other ways, such is shown in the pics by ASV....ottomans, lamps, etc. Study how these shapes are repeated in the room. Also look at the combination of textures used.
December 1, 2013 at 10:20am   
Vizard Design
For accent pillows, use colors from the painting above the couch it will make the artwork pop. I would use orange and purple. You could consider a throw in a golden brown or charcoal color from the painting as well to break up the tan couch.
December 1, 2013 at 10:22am     
Mark
A few suggestions :
December 1, 2013 at 10:23am     
jtlynn5
I was thinking getting some orange accent pillows as well. The couch came with these but was unsure with the circles in the painting with the diamonds of these pillows
December 1, 2013 at 10:32am   
Shirley Elliott Caldwell
Wicker emporium cushion cover
December 1, 2013 at 10:32am   
jtlynn5
Thanks Mark! Not much of one that knows much about design and patterns but I'm assuming it's okay to mix the diamond, square patterns with the circles in the painting
December 1, 2013 at 10:33am     
jtlynn5
The back pillows are actually burgundy/maroon not purple
December 1, 2013 at 10:34am   
Michael Lee, Inc
you have a rather plan sofa - you need colorful pillows with patterns as to ass life. You can actually use rather large pillows with that sofa as well. the pillows will make or break your room design
December 1, 2013 at 10:34am     
Mark's pillows are perfect! But, remove the burgundy pillows from your sofa.
December 1, 2013 at 10:34am     
jtlynn5
Unfortunately the burgundy pillow cushions were part of the couch, I think marks pillow would bring out the orange and deep red in the photo in the couch
December 1, 2013 at 10:46am   
Renate Ruby Design
Just because they were a part of the couch doesn't mean you have to keep them. Be careful about the urge to keep adding accents before getting the foundation in balance. Once the basics are in balance you will need less to create interest. Also, the painting is lovely. The more you do with color and pattern that refers to the painting, the less you will notice it Try painting the wall behind the sofa a little bit darker than the sofa, so the sofa feels lighter.
December 1, 2013 at 10:53am     
Renate Ruby Design
When you look at professionally done rooms it's not so much about a bunch of decorative accents, it's about creating a larger composition. Look round the whole room. Use color, scale, movement and texture to create a wonderful space. If one corner is too "interesting" the rest of the room can feel shabby by comparison. All things in balance. Have fun.
December 1, 2013 at 10:57am   
1807henry1
Agreed
December 1, 2013 at 1:41pm   
In Style Modern
I think orange with some teal would actually look nice too
December 2, 2013 at 2:35am   
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Help with master bedroom style!
We are getting ready to paint our bedroom and need...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Need Ideas for Dining Room
Looking for ideas to finish off my dining room. We...
HELP! 50 shades of gray paint dilemma!
We are refinishing our basement family room. I used...