Does a master bath really need a tub?
ctripsas
Our house was built in the 1970's when large separate sunken tubs were so popular. For our remodel, I'd prefer to have a larger shower and some added storage space. Will remodeling without a master bathtub deter future buyers? We do have another bathroom with a tub/shower combo.
bobblet
My own feeling is that as long as the house has one tub somewhere you are ok....you need to think about re-sale, I could care less but someone like my hubby needs a tub...somewhere!
December 1, 2013 at 5:42pm     
Denise Darnell. William Raveis Real Estate.
As a Realtor, I can foresee problems if you remove the tub in the master bath.
December 1, 2013 at 5:45pm     
freadsmom
as a contractor and designer,how many days will you wake up to this bathroom and say damn wish i had of put a tub in...you bought the house with an enormous useless tube..so particullarly in you andyour partners private area install what makes you want to jump up every morning and enjoy your eminity..chances are by the time you sell there will be i new device to remove dirt lol
December 1, 2013 at 5:49pm     
Wow Great Place
Unless you are planning to move in 2-3 years, I would not worry so much about resale as I would about how YOU want to enjoy YOUR space.
Ideally, you should keep a tub somewhere in the house for resale, as young families in particular demand a tub for bathing wee ones.
However, if space is at a premium in your master bath, and you are not a big bath person, then I say go for a killer shower!
Large showers are in high demand, especially ones that you could almost hold a party in!
And having a fancy shower and plenty of storage will be better for YOU, from the sounds of it!
I say go for the big shower, and nix the tub (but ONLY if there is another tub in the main bathroom)
December 1, 2013 at 5:58pm     
Judiwithani
I'm seeing this question more and more and I'm thinking about taking a tub out and having a shower only. Still thinking because I'm in a one bath home, but need a walk in shower for
Health reasons. Will store tub and replace if I ever sale. Who wants to bend over and clean a tub anyway. I'm a baby boomer and we pretty much do what we want, but I do understand that families with children need a tub and some adults prefer that as well.
I'm all about fixing a home to suit ones needs/ desires. Btw, if I do a walk-in shower, will go with one of those nice fold down teak seats.
December 1, 2013 at 6:03pm     
smartin1
OR....be like the guy who built my house and put in TWO showers in the master bath. One was a huge walk-in, the other was combined with a tiny tub and made no sense, at all. I think they ran out of money and just put the cheapest tub they could find, instead of a garden tub, but having the extra shower head was just bizarre.
December 1, 2013 at 6:11pm     
smartin1
Also, it depends on what the expectations are for your area. Here, a garden tub in the master is expected . I had a friend that had her house up for sale. It showed and showed but the comment she kept hearing was that there was no tub in the master bath, just a shower.

I wanted to take that hinkey little tub out, but I had several realtors and appraisers tell me that it would damage the value and resale of our home. We put in a garden tub that had been used maybe three times.
December 1, 2013 at 6:16pm     
Karen Baker Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
I would advise going for, and enjoying, a new luxe shower and storage since you have the tub/ shower in another bathroom. As long as you've a tub somewhere you should be fine in terms of resale. An updated master bath is an important selling feature. Hope this is helpful and good luck!
December 1, 2013 at 7:41pm     
maggiemaxwell
The last half dozen hotels in which I stayed had removed the tubs and installed large showers, but then who would take a bath in a hotel bathtub? Our master never had a tub, just a shower, and when we remodeled, we stayed with just a shower with built-in storage and bench. Hall bath has a tub, which has been useful for bathing little ones. I'd much rather have a walk-in shower than a shower head in a tub.
December 1, 2013 at 7:48pm     
j9rob
I never understand a bath in a master bedroom ensuite. Shower only is fine, as long as there is a bath in the "kids" bathroom.

I'm with judiwithani that you should definitely do what suits you, and enjoy your home.
December 1, 2013 at 8:47pm   
Cheryl Makaro
The large tub in my master bath was a huge draw for me when we bought our home. I still love it 13 years later. Tubs are not just for kids
December 1, 2013 at 8:53pm     
sbrustein
I took out my tub when we renovated our master bathroom. I love my oversized shower. I added a stall shower to our powder room and kept the tub in the kids bathroom. I think you just need one.
December 1, 2013 at 9:50pm     
PirateFoxy
If I was doing a master bathroom from scratch I would absolutely have a tub, although possibly not a HUGE GIANT swimming pool tub that'll take forever to fill. (There is a middle of the road between tiny thing and swimming pool, people.) I have arthritis and a soak can be really nice on sore joints.

That said, if space is at a premium, a nice level-entry shower is way more everyday useful and accessible. (My mom has mobility issues and absolutely cannot safely get into a tub with an over-bath shower. She can't safely step over the edge of the tub.)

What I'd be inclined to do is pay some thought to resale in the sense of thinking about where a tub might go, and see if you can plan your bathroom so that if buyers wanted a tub it wouldn't require ripping out the whole bathroom again to add it in. Then depending on the market when you sell you'd have the option to add a bath, or sell it without but with mention that it's plumbed for a bath to be added, or whatever makes sense at the time.
December 1, 2013 at 10:02pm     
Do what you like and want. New buyers will purchase and install a tub if they want one. Heck, they'll be on houzz asking for our ideas!. So don't stress.
December 1, 2013 at 10:04pm     
Megan Hanwell
Go with what you like and will use. I took out the tub, put in a lux shower and because I inly have 1.5 bathrooms, I put a small hot tub on the patio. That way, if I want to soak, I have a shower, put on a robe and off to the hot tub for at least an hour
December 2, 2013 at 12:16am     
Daniela Pavone
go green. ditch the tub
December 2, 2013 at 12:49am     
Ed
Hi ctripsas, Congrats on your whole house remodel ! You asked one of the most popular questions here in Design Dilemma. Other people must have asked the exact same question hundreds if not thousands of times. The consensus is No, not needed. Especially if you have another tub elsewhere in the home. Like ASV and Mega said, get what you like -- enjoy your life, live your life (don't live for other, future, potential buyers, if you ever resell ). I also did a big whole house remodel, and I also upgraded the master bath ( tub+shower ) to a big walk-in shower only. There is also a new tub+shower in the guest bath room.
Please post photos of your progress, and good luck ! :)
December 2, 2013 at 1:52am     
Does master bath need a tub?
My builder said his experience is most are NOT putting...
Does a master bath require a tub?
We are about to start a master bath renovation. We...
Need ideas for a larger master bath without tub remodel
We are remodeling our master bath which will have no...
Need help designing new master bath, no tub, walk-in shower
This house we bought is 20 years old. Help .... We...
2 different sized vanities. How to do mirror and lights?
I have a 36" vanity on one wall and a 52" on the other...
Decorating dilemma: what to do with this space?
I don't know what to do with this area of my apartment....
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....