Bringing warmth and texture to a modern esthetic
selabela
I am renovating the main floor of my small townhouse. The main floor consists of an open concept eat-in kitchen and living room. I have plans for an overall white and grey colour scheme. I plan to refit the existing kitchen with high gloss white cabinets, and either white or grey quartz countertops. The living room furniture is white, glass and stainless steel metal. I will be painting all of the walls grey.

I am looking for flooring that will add some warmth, texture and movement. I know that I want an oiled or brushed finish wood. I don't like a shiny floor and I have dogs so shiny is not a good idea anyway. I am finding myself drawn to a brushed ash product (the photo is from the manufacturer's website). I am very surprised that I like it. I have always thought that I really disliked the look of oak, and this ash has an oak-like grain.

What are people's thoughts on mixing ash flooring into an otherwise modern esthetic? Any thoughts on other options? I think I have been to every flooring store in my city at least three times and I just can't find the right thing. Well, other than this ash which I feel in my gut will be fabulous, but I just can't pull the trigger due to my memories of horrible 1980's oak.

I'm open to all suggestions. Oh, it you have a favorite grey paint colour, I would love to hear that as well.

Thanks
HERE Design and Architecture
I like the floor and the graphic quality feels modern, however, I am not sure that I think it will work with shiny white cabinets. I think incorporating some dark features and matte finishes will highlight the graphic quality of the wood.
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 6:22PM
selabela
I have my eye on brown vintage waxed finish leather chair with a very mid-century mod vibe. Do you think that might help? Do you think I'm on the right track?
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 6:35PM
HERE Design and Architecture
That sounds promising. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 1, 2013 at 6:37PM
Staged for Perfection
I am loving the look of very contemporary items with very organic items. Post a picture of your space. Go with your gut!
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 1, 2013 at 6:41PM
selabela
Here is a photo of the room right now. I couldn't cope with the old carpet any more so I pulled it up last weekend. Right now I'm living with a white and mdf subfloor. I'm still on the hunt for a coffee table and a chair as well. I'm looking for a mid-century mod chair. Perhaps a womb chair or the leather one in this photo. The stair rail visible in the photo has got to go! I am also very likely to change/add to the art. I'm thinking about other accent colours. It's a work in progress. :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:00PM
Natalie
Love the floor---not crazy about the leather chair. Pic for inspiration. Northern Cliffs and Gray Owl for wall/ceiling color. Good Luck!
]
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:10PM
HERE Design and Architecture
I don't have a problem with the chair.
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:39PM
selabela
I think the leather chair is great! I would prefer the womb chair, but I have yet to see it in leather. I think it would lose some of the intended feeling in leather. I just can't say no to the critters being on the furniture. :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:46PM
selabela
HERE Design, what would you suggest for the flooring?
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:47PM
HERE Design and Architecture
I like the ash.
2 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 8:19PM
In Style Modern
I like the ash as well, your room now looks great. Also for a modern/contmporary coffee table, you might want to check out instylemodern.com, some items are on sale right now
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 2, 2013 at 2:31AM
chookchook2
The floor looks fine! A navy rug would work with those chairs, or green.
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 2:47AM
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 2:57AM
drememon
I love the floor, and your room. I actually like the art, and accents of red and orange, especially if you bring in the brown chair, but that's such a personal choice. A deep grey or charcoal rail with cable would be beautiful with your room. Perhaps start by painting the existing rail after you choose a new wall color.
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 2, 2013 at 5:26AM
MS Colours Inc
A quarter or rift sawn oak will give you the look you want. Sawn either way it removes the heart grain from the boards.
1 Like   Thanked by selabela    December 2, 2013 at 5:38AM
crazyabouthouses
A matte cork floor would add an organic element and texture to the space. And Behr's Dolphin Fin is a nice middle-of-the-road grey.
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 5:40AM
selabela
Thanks to all for your comments! Crazyabouthouses... Dolphin Fin is already on my short list. :)
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 8:26PM
Bringing warmth, history and dream to your room
Part of our mission as Interior Designers is to find...
Le Loft Interior Decoration
Living room staging- Bring warmth to an uninviting space, do wonders!
The power of a great staging! A cold and uninviting...
Creative Home Stagers, LLC.
Artistic Creations: "Bringing the Warmth Inside"
FLA Master Bedroom renovation: Oak Floors, Rattan...
Artistic Creations by Gina Cannone
Recycled barn wood wall brings rustic warmth!
Still mid project but working on an addition and we...
Zajac Interiors, LLC
A little help HOUZZERS
We are in the process of building our new home. I know...
cjohnson5605
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
How can I clean this !!!
It is a very old .
gala12
how much does it cost to convert a coat closet to food pantry?
we don't have much space, so we are thinking about...
Amy Law
Custom Kitchen
My home was just finished recently and would like to...
Ashley Reppond