Bringing warmth and texture to a modern esthetic
selabela
December 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am renovating the main floor of my small townhouse. The main floor consists of an open concept eat-in kitchen and living room. I have plans for an overall white and grey colour scheme. I plan to refit the existing kitchen with high gloss white cabinets, and either white or grey quartz countertops. The living room furniture is white, glass and stainless steel metal. I will be painting all of the walls grey.

I am looking for flooring that will add some warmth, texture and movement. I know that I want an oiled or brushed finish wood. I don't like a shiny floor and I have dogs so shiny is not a good idea anyway. I am finding myself drawn to a brushed ash product (the photo is from the manufacturer's website). I am very surprised that I like it. I have always thought that I really disliked the look of oak, and this ash has an oak-like grain.

What are people's thoughts on mixing ash flooring into an otherwise modern esthetic? Any thoughts on other options? I think I have been to every flooring store in my city at least three times and I just can't find the right thing. Well, other than this ash which I feel in my gut will be fabulous, but I just can't pull the trigger due to my memories of horrible 1980's oak.

I'm open to all suggestions. Oh, it you have a favorite grey paint colour, I would love to hear that as well.

Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
HERE Design and Architecture
I like the floor and the graphic quality feels modern, however, I am not sure that I think it will work with shiny white cabinets. I think incorporating some dark features and matte finishes will highlight the graphic quality of the wood.
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 6:22PM
selabela
I have my eye on brown vintage waxed finish leather chair with a very mid-century mod vibe. Do you think that might help? Do you think I'm on the right track?
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 6:35PM
PRO
That sounds promising. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 1, 2013 at 6:37PM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
I am loving the look of very contemporary items with very organic items. Post a picture of your space. Go with your gut!
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 1, 2013 at 6:41PM
selabela
Here is a photo of the room right now. I couldn't cope with the old carpet any more so I pulled it up last weekend. Right now I'm living with a white and mdf subfloor. I'm still on the hunt for a coffee table and a chair as well. I'm looking for a mid-century mod chair. Perhaps a womb chair or the leather one in this photo. The stair rail visible in the photo has got to go! I am also very likely to change/add to the art. I'm thinking about other accent colours. It's a work in progress. :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:00PM
Natalie
Love the floor---not crazy about the leather chair. Pic for inspiration. Northern Cliffs and Gray Owl for wall/ceiling color. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:10PM
PRO
I don't have a problem with the chair.
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:39PM
selabela
I think the leather chair is great! I would prefer the womb chair, but I have yet to see it in leather. I think it would lose some of the intended feeling in leather. I just can't say no to the critters being on the furniture. :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:46PM
selabela
HERE Design, what would you suggest for the flooring?
0 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 7:47PM
PRO
I like the ash.
2 Likes   December 1, 2013 at 8:19PM
PRO
In Style Modern
I like the ash as well, your room now looks great. Also for a modern/contmporary coffee table, you might want to check out instylemodern.com, some items are on sale right now
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 2, 2013 at 2:31AM
chookchook2
The floor looks fine! A navy rug would work with those chairs, or green.
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 2:47AM
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 2:57AM
drememon
I love the floor, and your room. I actually like the art, and accents of red and orange, especially if you bring in the brown chair, but that's such a personal choice. A deep grey or charcoal rail with cable would be beautiful with your room. Perhaps start by painting the existing rail after you choose a new wall color.
0 Likes   Thanked by selabela    December 2, 2013 at 5:26AM
PRO
MS Colours Inc
A quarter or rift sawn oak will give you the look you want. Sawn either way it removes the heart grain from the boards.
1 Like   Thanked by selabela    December 2, 2013 at 5:38AM
crazyabouthouses
A matte cork floor would add an organic element and texture to the space. And Behr's Dolphin Fin is a nice middle-of-the-road grey.
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 5:40AM
selabela
Thanks to all for your comments! Crazyabouthouses... Dolphin Fin is already on my short list. :)
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 8:26PM