Need help with 1950's kitchen....
Susan Hebert
December 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought this house, and I'm trying to give my 1950's kitchen a facelift on a small budget. I want to paint the cabinets and walls and possibly put new laminate tile over the existing floor. The challenge is trying to work around the peach/biscuit tile with the brown trim. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
What color scheme do you have in mind? Any close-up photos of the door pulls and hinges? Will you be keeping the tile counters and walls?
0 Likes   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:14PM
PRO
JudyG Designs
Try BM Navaho white next to the tiles. It has a slight peachy undertone. Paint the cabs that in a high gloss. Change the hardware to a brushed stainless like the stove and fridge.

Or try cameo white…that is pinky,

Cameo White 915 Paint
For the walls, look at BM exhale…a beautiful blue in the Affinity line. That should work with the brown edge of the tile.
Lakemont
Hafele 134.45.602 Stainless Steel Cabinet Knobs
Quadra - Mocha Latte Tiles - UF1215
0 Likes   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:17PM
leelee
If you're planning to paint the cabinets go ahead and paint all the wood trim white too. You could add a new top to the cabinet to span the space between stove-cabinet-refrigerator. Use the space to store TV trays or something. At least you'll have a solid counter from stove to fridge.
1 Like   December 1, 2013 at 6:28PM
PRO
patricia sarnataro
Painting the cabinets and changing the hardware is a good idea. I don't know what the rest of the space looks like or if you lean towards bold colors or neutrals ? Get a bunch of paint chips with colors you like and place them next to the tiles, see what works with the peach.... Something I would often avoid is painting tile but the brown at the top seems to be the biggest hinderance so you may get away with painting the brown tile at the top with some enamel paint.....a simple way to do the kitchen may be some black and white tile floors that you can lay down on top of existing floor than you can paint the walls white and either paint the cabinets white with black hardware or you could even get bolder and paint the cabinets a really bright bold color in enamel and have fun!! Even an apple green!
0 Likes   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:28PM
leelee
While you're painting remove pulls and replace with plain single knobs drilled in the middle of drawers and the corner of the cabinet doors.
0 Likes   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:30PM
PRO
patricia sarnataro
I do like the blue that iam judy just put up , that could look pretty with the peach tiles! Great choice!
0 Likes   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:31PM
leelee
Black and white lineoleum tile would look great but have it installed on the diagonal.
0 Likes   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:32PM
leelee
Start by keeping the walls white (along with wood trim and cabinets). If you still need color add after all the other changes are made.
0 Likes   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:34PM
freadsmom
hello i think this kitchen has a lot of potential, so first,,BREATHE...what is the budget,number one,if its a quick fix, and if your tall i think it will be because counters are low,and we just do a for now,,which is A have all cabinet doors removed and sent to sprayer(which i suggest because there will be an enormous amount of grease, wax and solvent and no matter how great a diy you are it will bubble,,,)choose a colour you would do the entire houses trim in,i would suggest pale oak(benjamin moore) muslin or white down.,nothing too white..unless you would like a cottage feel,then i would suggest oxford white,or misty depending on the amount of sun you recieve, all the hardware which is nice can be sent to be nickled..thats easy rip up counter thats horrible,backsplash can have a sheet of formica glued over in anything you like options are endless,,i would choose simple stainless, and maybe a maple counter top to keep it real....your floor NEVER a laminate,cannot mannage water but a click floating vinyl in a wood grain or stone floats on top of ifffy subfloor,making a quick fix,then great lighting above..semi flush give off more light then flush,and try to pay a bit more go for fixture rated for 100 watts and install dimmer,HONESTLY this is a better advice then pot lights
1 Like   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 6:42PM
Natalie
Hi---paint could do a lot for this space. I think keeping a monochromatic color scheme between walls and backsplash is the key here. A soft, warm white painted cabinet with a pale celadon green glaze overtop, Glass Slipper painted walls, and a light floor would look so pretty. Pic for inspiration. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
1 Like   Thanked by Susan Hebert    December 1, 2013 at 7:00PM
Susan Hebert
Thanks for all the great feedback. This has given me some good ideas to build on.
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 6:57PM