Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_hebert

Need help with 1950's kitchen....

Susan Hebert
10 years ago
I just bought this house, and I'm trying to give my 1950's kitchen a facelift on a small budget. I want to paint the cabinets and walls and possibly put new laminate tile over the existing floor. The challenge is trying to work around the peach/biscuit tile with the brown trim. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    What color scheme do you have in mind? Any close-up photos of the door pulls and hinges? Will you be keeping the tile counters and walls?
    Susan Hebert thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Try BM Navaho white next to the tiles. It has a slight peachy undertone. Paint the cabs that in a high gloss. Change the hardware to a brushed stainless like the stove and fridge.

Or try cameo white…that is pinky,

Cameo White 915 Paint · More Info

For the walls, look at BM exhale…a beautiful blue in the Affinity line. That should work with the brown edge of the tile.
    Lakemont · More Info

Hafele 134.45.602 Stainless Steel Cabinet Knobs · More Info

Quadra - Mocha Latte Tiles - UF1215 · More Info
    Susan Hebert thanked JudyG Designs
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    If you're planning to paint the cabinets go ahead and paint all the wood trim white too. You could add a new top to the cabinet to span the space between stove-cabinet-refrigerator. Use the space to store TV trays or something. At least you'll have a solid counter from stove to fridge.
  • PRO
    patricia sarnataro
    10 years ago
    Painting the cabinets and changing the hardware is a good idea. I don't know what the rest of the space looks like or if you lean towards bold colors or neutrals ? Get a bunch of paint chips with colors you like and place them next to the tiles, see what works with the peach.... Something I would often avoid is painting tile but the brown at the top seems to be the biggest hinderance so you may get away with painting the brown tile at the top with some enamel paint.....a simple way to do the kitchen may be some black and white tile floors that you can lay down on top of existing floor than you can paint the walls white and either paint the cabinets white with black hardware or you could even get bolder and paint the cabinets a really bright bold color in enamel and have fun!! Even an apple green!
    Susan Hebert thanked patricia sarnataro
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    While you're painting remove pulls and replace with plain single knobs drilled in the middle of drawers and the corner of the cabinet doors.
    Susan Hebert thanked leelee
  • PRO
    patricia sarnataro
    10 years ago
    I do like the blue that iam judy just put up , that could look pretty with the peach tiles! Great choice!
    Susan Hebert thanked patricia sarnataro
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Black and white lineoleum tile would look great but have it installed on the diagonal.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Start by keeping the walls white (along with wood trim and cabinets). If you still need color add after all the other changes are made.
  • Natalie
    10 years ago
    Hi---paint could do a lot for this space. I think keeping a monochromatic color scheme between walls and backsplash is the key here. A soft, warm white painted cabinet with a pale celadon green glaze overtop, Glass Slipper painted walls, and a light floor would look so pretty. Pic for inspiration. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Victorian Powder Room · More Info
    ]
    Susan Hebert thanked Natalie
  • Susan Hebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the great feedback. This has given me some good ideas to build on.
Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus