Need Help with My Kitched
Pam
We are moving in around the first of the year. Would love any suggestion with the kitchen that you have. The fireplace in the dining area is the first concern. The walls are a stucco texture and I cannot change the flooring tile at this time.
sieglerdesign
I might explore;
* adding a mantle at fireplace to have it look more finished.
* drapes completely across patio door wall and floor to ceiling for softness
* chairs and tables that visually take up as little area as possible. See Louis Ghost chair and any table with center pedestal instead of corner legs.
* a chandelier that makes an interesting light pattern on ceiling at night.
* a lively paint color on the dining area ceiling
* www.flor.com for cushion and comfort in kitchen if you are a cook on your feet
1 Like   Thanked by Pam    December 1, 2013 at 9:13PM
More views of the kitchen would be helpful rather than a person on a workout machine.
0 Likes   Thanked by Pam    December 2, 2013 at 5:35AM
quercus2
Was the guy in on the treadmill included in the purchase?
3 Likes   Thanked by Pam    December 2, 2013 at 5:37AM
ErthCOVERINGS
ErthCOVERINGS Stone Veneers would be great for finishing your fireplace and wall. Adds great texture and design to the space! You can also include shelving or cabinetry on the sides to increase kitchen storage space.
3 Likes   Thanked by Pam    December 2, 2013 at 7:43AM
Pam
Dytecture I am sorry about the pic of the workout. I couldn't remove it (or I don't know how) Here are a couple of more angles of the kitchen. I am looking for help with colors and decor. Thanks
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 9:33AM
Pam
ErthCOVERINGS thanks for all the great idea. Do you think in the dining area I could use lighting like is in the picture off the white chairs with the hanging lights? The walls are a stucco type plaster.
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 9:45AM
Pam
sieglerdesign, I do cook a lot and I thank you for noticing that part of the floor. I was wondering what to do about that. By "lively color on dining room ceiling" what colors where you thinking?
Thanks, Pam
0 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 9:50AM
Pam
What would anyone suggest for wall and ceiling colors?
0 Likes   December 3, 2013 at 9:03PM
Underwood Painting
I would change the cabinet color too, darker wood tone, or antique white
1 Like   Thanked by Pam    December 3, 2013 at 9:13PM
Underwood Painting
Lacquer stain
1 Like   Thanked by Pam    December 3, 2013 at 9:17PM
sieglerdesign
Will post some colors for you. Looks like lots of nice daylight space. I like to see outside natural colors come inside. What part of country are you in? Here are 2 color groups from a Sherwin Williams deck I love called Designer Expressions. I've never used a paint deck before as much as this one. Its really good. What about a refreshing blue ceiling in a warm room that seems to heat up since you are cook! See what you think of these 2 color groups and we'll discuss.
Pam
@sleglerdesign I am learning towards Simply Sophisticated, both are great. I live in Wisconsin. And all the light that came into the kitchen area is one of my favorite things about the house. So which ever paint deck works with the natural light, I am good with.
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 4:05AM
Pam
@underwood Painting I had seen soooo many white cabinets that I never even thought about doing them darker. I like it. Do you think I should put hardware on the doors? Or just change what is there?
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 4:08AM
Pam
P.S. I am not opposed to the white cabinets either. I just want the room to look comforting and inviting. I spend a lot of time in it and as we all know it is the gathering place no matter what.
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 4:10AM
Underwood Painting
Adding hardware gives the cabinets a nice finished look, a darker wood finish with brushed nickel handles really looks nice.
1 Like   Thanked by Pam    December 4, 2013 at 6:39AM
Pam
@underwood Painting, ok so far darker cabinet and new brushed nickel handles. Sounds great!. Thanks so much.
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 7:13AM
sieglerdesign
For room filled with lots of visual things, its a good strategy to stay light and not create strong light and dark contrast between cabinets and walls and floors and ceiling etc....Let the space stay visually open because it will shrink fast once you fill it with furniture. Let warmth come from the character of your furniture items like old Windsor chairs and distressed furniture and cozy, soft fabrics.

For cabinets, I like the warm gray / taupe paint finish as seen in the Martha Stewart collection for Home Depot. The Martha Stewart Group has done a good job and its worth going into the store and getting a catalog to look at their overall concepts for kitchens. Better to see samples in person than on line.

Though I DO NOT trust pictures and my monitor....One strategy for you would be:

LIGHT & BRIGHT & SOFT
cabinets - keep natural finish
wall accent color- SW 7732 Lemmon Grass
wall - SW neutral of your choice or leave existing wall color
ceililng SW 6204 Sea Salt
fireplace - SW 7665 Wall Street or other bluish gray paint color that picks up accent tile color. You will need to experiment

ALTERNATE MODERN LIGHT & BRIGHT & SOFT
cabinets - paint SW7045 Intellectual Gray or other taupe/gray sophisticated color

(same as above for rest)
wall accent- SW 7732 Lemmon Grass
wall - SW neutral of your choice or leave existing
ceililng SW 6204 Sea Salt

Don't ask me which walls though unless you have a floor plan and time to talk and pictures of all your furniture and kitchen items etc.... I do not think I could do the planning justice without a floor plan and more time. But, I do think this could get you going and thinking about possibilities you might want to explore. I apologize ahead of time if I created more confusion and frustration than satisfaction. Its just the nature of trying to do this kind of thing in this kind of format. It has its limitations.

I thank you for sharing your Design Dilemma and I look forward to seeing some ideas from you. FYI.... Have email pen pal in Milwaukee....she is artist. Have best friend from Wisconsin. Lots of cold weather state people here in sunny Arizona! ;)
1 Like   Thanked by Pam    December 4, 2013 at 10:08AM
Pam
@seiglerdesign... thank you so much. You have given me a great direction, and that's coming from someone who had nothing. I am going tomorrow to get the paint samples and also to Home Depot for a look at the Martha Stewart collection. As far as the fireplace wall goes, should that be the whole wall (including the alcoves on each side)?
1 Like   December 4, 2013 at 6:41PM
sieglerdesign
I was thinking if the accent paint color is dark and strong then just on fireplace 3 sides only and not alcoves for now. The reason is to give fireplace weight and pull your eye to it in a strong way. If the accent color on the fireplace (whatever looks good with tile) ends up being a medium to light color then you may need to paint wall alcoves to give more weight and emphasis to that fireplace wall.

Does this make sense? In other words I want you to select paint colors that work for room but, I want you to select colors you really, really like too. Want wood mantle on that fireplace wall too. The way it looks now feels "unfinished". Maybe you can price a wood mantle @ Home Depot too? I do not even know if they have mantles.
1 Like   Thanked by Pam    December 4, 2013 at 6:59PM
Pam
This is the fireplace wall.
1 Like   December 4, 2013 at 7:04PM
Pam
@sieglerdesign Ooops you answered before I got this pic up. It all makes sense. I will keep you informed after my trip to Home Depot tomorrow. I am excited to look at mantles too.
1 Like   December 4, 2013 at 7:10PM
sieglerdesign
GREAT. GOOD LUCK! If you can go to Sherwin Williams for paint instead of Home Depot or Lowes, the pros there have "deep" product knowledge and will give lots of coaching and guidance to homeowners. The best way to proceed just depends on what you are doing versus what you are having a professional do when it comes to painting.
1 Like   Thanked by Pam    December 4, 2013 at 8:18PM
sieglerdesign
Pam how's it going? Anything you need to discuss or are you busy with xmas?
0 Likes   December 10, 2013 at 7:13AM
I NEED HELP WITH MY KITCH
I really need help with my Kitchen, we are building...
Need Help Picking a Kitche/Dining Table Set
Hello again! Looking for recommendations on dining...
Need help with incorporating dining room in or open transitional kitch
I am going to remodel a kitchen with a breakfast room...
need help for room an lunge and kitching
i need a map for my home design a square area need...
Refinish or paint
Hi I bought dark dark furniture about a year ago and...
Unfortunate tudor style rec room.
I have a tudor style rec room in the basement with...
Two glass front kitchen cabinet doors or none? Costs??
I'm trying to decide whether to do two seeded glass...
Honed or polished calacatta backsplash
We are doing a black honed granite countertop. Should...
Need lighting suggestions for double volume space
I have a large living area with a sloping double volume....