Small space living
Mark Dalton
I have just purchased my first home in Australia and am now the proud owner of a compact 3x1 unit, the existing decor is a tad outdated and would like some advice or point me towards some ideabooks to restyle the kitchen and living areas on a budget, any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Sharon
Hi Mark, congrats on your new home. Is this furniture yours? Or the sellers? Who will be living here? Single? Family?
   December 2, 2013 at 2:20AM
Mark Dalton
Hi Sharon, it will be just me and my partner we are in our 20s and she is still at uni for another year, I have set aside one of the quaint bedrooms for her as a study so I can concentrate on the main living areas, the furniture is all the old owners and will be removed by the time I get the keys, the floor is old sheet Lino and looks a lot worse than in the photos, I was thinking of replacing with maybe a white ash laminate floor but I am open to other ideas
   December 2, 2013 at 4:31AM
bobblet
Congrats and hi from Canada! Really lovely place. I love the kitchen and would not change much just make sure that any pieces of art in the kitchen are to scale, this previous owners art is too small. For the living room, not sure if you're tied to the flower decals? Her couch is too big so with that, try to get furniture that is not chunky. A couch and two tub chairs would be nice...maybe place the tub chairs either in front of the window or opposite the tellie with a small glass table in between. For the wall with the TV try a good sized credenza - you can put your tellie on (or hang on the wall) but would also provide storgage which is always needed. I would change out the ceiling lights too, something hanging in the kitchen and maybe a track light in the living room. Not sure how high up you are, but if you're not on the ground level, nice airy curtains. Replacing the floors would be great - watch for sales!! White ash sounds lovely throughout.
1 Like   December 2, 2013 at 4:56AM
Mark
From one Mark to another I suggest you read this short article on how to choose furniture for a small livingroom. Very informative. Congrats on your new home Mark !
http://budgetdecorating.about.com/od/livingroom/ss/Ideas-For-Small-Living-Room-Furniture-Arrangement.htm
2 Likes   December 2, 2013 at 5:10AM
Mark Dalton
Thanks bobblet, love your ideas, the flower decals will be the first to go for sure and tub chairs sound great, what may I ask is a credenza? I am very new to interior design
   December 2, 2013 at 5:12AM
Mark
Slipper chairs ( armless chairs) and low profile furniture will help to make your livingroom feel open and airy. Glass top coffee table, crystal lamps would be good choices. Mirrors help to open up a space, especially if they are across from a window. Keep your furniture in scale with the size of the room. A cabinet with storage would be useful to put your tv on and to store things in.
1 Like   December 2, 2013 at 5:47AM
bobblet
hey, credenza....like a buffet - may have drawers/cupboards but can set your tellie on or other decorative items.
   December 2, 2013 at 9:56AM
Mark Dalton
I was thinking of mounting the tv on the wall as it is a pretty slimline flat screen model, maybe floating overhead cupboards or would this take up too much space in such a small area?
1 Like   December 3, 2013 at 3:38AM
Mark Dalton
Or would it be an idea to make use of some of this dead space on the adjacent entry wall as you come through the front door or would that overcrowd the hallway??
   December 3, 2013 at 3:41AM
Our entire main floor living space is small small small!
We have a small main floor space, but lots of natural...
HELP ME DESIGN MY SMALL ENTRY LIVING SPACE
I need help with designing this space. I want to make...
I have a small area to create a living,dining, and office space
There is a stair railing in my very small living area...
green deigns for small living space
built in furniture for living rooms and under stairs...
We just started a site about "Small-Space-Living"
We have downsized our space, and now live in app. 400...
Closet space or bigger shower
Hi! I'm in the urgent need of some advice. I am contemplating...
It's not easy being green. (Or 80's-styled)
There are 80's verde marble tiles and brass touches...
Family Room Layout Issues...
When we bought our house, it had a wall that was my...
Can I have white trim and natural solid wood doors?
I have brown trim and solid knotty alder wood doors...