I need help choosing wall color!
anaaichinger
Hi there! I need help choosing a wall color for my living room. I have this dark wooden ceiling and light floor, they seem somehow upside down, I do not like them both, and/or the combination of the two. My favorite wood color is the one of the door and the cabinet on the third photo, but as the change of floor color is out of question (no money at the moment), what should I use for the walls? Should I go for classic cream or white (I find it boring) or try a color? My furniture is really colorful, red (raspberry) sofa, two armchairs with flower pattern (attached the fabric samples), teal rug, no curtains at the moment (planing to buy in the near future),I love colors and could live with more of them but I need support for this experiment! I've attached some photos (mind the mess). I tried some blues, but I find them too blue, I need something more teal green. Do you think that would make a living room color jungle!? Thanks!
gingersister
I'm no professional..but Im inclined to think the teal might be bit dark with the darkened ceiling. I understand you like colour (so do I ), but with that ceiling I would suggest the colours you don't like..creams/whites. They would look lovely with the ceiling.. Up to you, but having the more neutral walls will let your colourful furniture and the like stand out. Good luck with it :-)
December 2, 2013 at 3:37AM      Thanked by anaaichinger
anaaichinger
I have just decided to go for white, at least till we have the money to change the color of the ceiling (I have a feeling it is falling on my head) but my husband (unbelievable!) says it is tooooo boring. Any lighter color suggestions that are not white? Should I keep the blue we had only refresh it?
December 2, 2013 at 4:03AM     
mojikk
hi friend I am interior designer. if I were you I choose ivory color to dived two different wood color. also you have colorful furniture it is better ivory:)
December 2, 2013 at 4:16AM   
Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
I agree with what you are saying about the ceiling color. Since it conflicts with the other woods in the room, have you considered painting it?
December 2, 2013 at 4:53AM     
bobblet
classic creme for the walls
December 2, 2013 at 4:58AM     
CDR Design
Too many different colors of wood.

I would suggest you add a crown molding between the wall and the ceiling and paint the ceiling.

If you don't want to add a crown molding, paint the walls the color of your lighter backgrounds (off-white) in your fabric. The walls and the ceiling would be painted the same color.
December 2, 2013 at 5:00AM     
anaaichinger
Yes, I had... But at the moment, not enough money and nerves to have more work in the house, we have just finished the exterior and we would like a peaceful (without dust) Christmas. But I really do not like it, too much different wood colors. I am just not sure which one I hate more, the ceiling or the floor. :)
December 2, 2013 at 5:00AM   
CDR Design
The floor looks beautiful and you can place an area rug on it. You can't put a rug on a ceiling. Plus, easier to paint a ceiling (and less mess) than restraining a floor.
December 2, 2013 at 5:04AM     
CDR Design
You could paint walls a light color now and paint ceiling after Christmas?
December 2, 2013 at 5:05AM   
anaaichinger
The dining room looks beautiful with the painted ceiling and crown molding! Do I have to prepare the wood before painting or just paint it over? It would definitely be better to do it now. The living room is anyhow a mess! If not, first thing to be done next year. Thanks!
December 2, 2013 at 5:22AM   
lnsail
Painting or even white washing the ceiling should change the dark feel of the room. I love the teal you show in your fabrics.
December 2, 2013 at 8:44AM   
I would not use any of the colors you show. To in your face. Walls are a background for art, and furn. Get color though those not wall color. Paint all walls the same. No accent walls. Your furn is bold. So go soft on walls. I like all the grays by Benjamin Moore. Get sample put on walls with your light. A dove gray would work well with your furn.
December 2, 2013 at 8:49AM   
I like your ceilings but you could white ash them. Mix one part wall color to 2 parts water. Messy but easy to do. Do before you paint walls.
December 2, 2013 at 8:51AM   
If you have real wood floors, then they can be stained darker. I think you are the only one that will notice ceiling. Don't stress on it. Either white wash it or stain floors darker. White wash is the cheapest. A latte on walls would also work for you. Area rugs would hide flooring. But don't do white. I agree toooo boring. Why spend the time and money on white walls. Have not been around since 1990s.
December 2, 2013 at 8:55AM   
CDR Design
I honestly have never personally painted a wood ceiling, so I don't know the answer to your question. However, I would ask at the paint store. Normally, you would have to sand any surface you paint. But, there are products out there that make the job easier now. For example, Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations is a product where you can paint wood without sanding.
December 2, 2013 at 9:29AM     
Kass Wilson/ WallsTreat Studio
You will not like the look of "white washed" with the contrast of the dark wood underneath. The whole idea is to take attention AWAY from the ceiling. Do it in a solid color like the photos that cdrdesign posted. They are lovely. The texture of the planking will be enough to add the interest. I also agree to ask the paint store for a recommendation. Since it is a ceiling and will never be touched, durability is not going to be an issue. . . unless you have a giraffe!!!!!
December 2, 2013 at 2:15PM     
Lori Pedersen Home Staging+Styling
Your fabric swatches are so fun! Since your room has lots of natural light, I would consider painting the walls the deepest tone of eggplant (pull it out of your fabric). Start there, then decide if you still want to change the ceiling. Painting the ceiling is a permanent decision that you would have to be sure of.
December 2, 2013 at 3:05PM   
Barbie
Based on your original question and the fact you do not have a budget yet to do more I would suggest painting the walls a creamy white. I think it would be the perfect backdrop to your cheery furniture. Love your ceiling the way it is by the way!
December 2, 2013 at 3:09PM     
anaaichinger
When we moved in, I didn't like the ceiling at all, now I got used to it and can live with it. Maybe it would be more disturbing if it was a bedroom and I had to wake up every morning or go to bed every evening looking directly to it, in this case I just do not look up so often.
December 3, 2013 at 12:29AM   
zhoulei
My suggestion is use demitint between the color on floor and door.
December 3, 2013 at 12:49AM   
CDR Design
Your first observation was correct. The dark ceiling is not working, especially with all the colors going on. Paint it and you will not regret it.
December 3, 2013 at 4:16AM     
Paint, what colour do we choose!?
We need some serious help! Neither of us have any design...
Need advice for my space
This is a apartment so there are limitation when it...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...
Stained Concrete vs Porcelain Tile on a new build.
Building my small home/cabin and am on the fence about...
Need advice for enhancing a very plain facade
Our house is very plain and boring. We are looking...