Small living room with 3 entrances (2 large 1 small) Help with layout.
vill4franca
Need some help with what type of furniture/layout to put/do in this room ( sorry its a mess) It seems like a awkward layout to me with the two large openings. Any advice would be appreciated.
AlessandraDesign
Hm yeh very difficult room. Can you give me rough dimensions of the space?
December 2, 2013 at 2:17pm   
vill4franca
Wall with the fireplace is about 12' there is 8.5' of wall behind the couch as well as the space behind the TV. so the total room is around 12x16 or so
December 2, 2013 at 2:22pm   
Can you take down wall TV is on. Looks like a room behind wall that is not being used. Open up he space as much as you can. Then get lighter colored furn. The dark brown is not working. With all the dark wood you have.
December 2, 2013 at 2:26pm     
vill4franca
The room to the left of the fireplace is below, I thought about making this into the living room because of the weird layout but I'm not sure what to do with this room then, or if it will then give my house an awkward layout.
December 2, 2013 at 2:26pm   
vill4franca
I was thinking about that as well as opeing some other walls in the house, but I do t think that will be for a few years, would prefur to do it all at once if I do it. Also not sure if its a load baring wall since thats only a little sunroom up there
December 2, 2013 at 2:48pm   
AlessandraDesign
OK, if you mount the tv above the fire place, you can then do something like this with a swivel chair for conversation and tv watching.
December 2, 2013 at 2:50pm        Thanked by vill4franca
Just taking out TV wall. Will make a world of difference. The room is too small for anything. Wall should have a beam if load bearing. Ck with a contractor . Not hard to do. Start there then do others as time goes.
December 2, 2013 at 2:51pm     
Or put TV over firepl and float sofa looking at it.
December 2, 2013 at 2:52pm     
vill4franca
Wow that looks nice. I just wish I could somehow fit more seating maybe 5 or 6 bit its probably to small of a room huh?
December 2, 2013 at 2:53pm   
Try this…pull your sofa with chaise out into the room.

December 2, 2013 at 2:53pm   
Take out walls? Are you kidding? This is a classic craftsman bungalow, probably historic. Probably built before anyone even dreamed of TV. And actually, it's about the size of my living room. I solved the TV problem by giving it up. I don't suppose that's an option here...
December 2, 2013 at 3:15pm     
vill4franca
It could be an option I dont use it much. The only walls im strongly considering removing is one from the kitchen to the dining room since kitchen is tiny and I love cooking
December 2, 2013 at 3:19pm   
vill4franca
How would you lay it out with out the tv groveraxle?
December 2, 2013 at 3:20pm   
vill4franca, I think your only option, with or without the TV, is Alessandra's plan, or something like it. Your room is especially difficult because your fireplace is totally separated from any usable walls. If you do decide to change the interior footprint, I would hire an architect here for sure to maximize function while keeping historically significant features.
December 2, 2013 at 3:44pm     
Could you turn that other room into the media/TV room? Maybe you don't watch enough to justify that.
December 2, 2013 at 4:54pm     
qoais
Looking at Alessandra's plan, what are the rooms on the left and right of the room depicted?
December 2, 2013 at 5:47pm   
vill4franca
Left room is a dining room right is a sun room
December 2, 2013 at 5:51pm   
qoais
What are the measurements of the sun room? Are you sure your room is 18 feet long? If the couch is 8', and the doorway is 4' (just guessing) and the wall at the end is 2', that only gives 14'. Are you saying the wall to the sun room is a load bearing wall, or the wall to the dining room is? Is the wall on the sun room side originally an outside wall, and the sun room added on, or was it included in the original house plan? Is there another access to the sun room?

I am laughing at myself!! I totally see the sun room now. Don't know where my head was!! I agree that if you want a fabulous living room (or is there another living room?) the wall between this tv room and the sun room should come out. On the other hand, if you're just making a home for one (or two) cozy could be the operative word. I can draw this, but need exact measurements.
December 2, 2013 at 6:12pm     
vill4franca
The Sun room is 7' by 12.' with the entrance being one of the 12.5' walls. The main room is 11.5' wide and 15' long

The sunroom would be the load bareing wall, I belive it was built with the home. No there is no other access to that room. I wont be knocking any walls down anytime soon, so I would like to try and get a layout with what I have.
December 2, 2013 at 6:50pm   
qoais
Just one more question!! How wide are those door ways and the door on the bottom of the drawing, does it lead to a front entrance?
December 2, 2013 at 7:00pm   
vill4franca
The small door at the bottom is 32" and yes it does lead to a front entrance. Also the larger entrances on the left and right are 5' each
December 2, 2013 at 7:03pm   
qoais
Thanks. This won't be perfect but I'll see what I can do. Are you keeping the furniture? Just so I know what colors to work with. Paint color?
December 2, 2013 at 7:17pm        Thanked by vill4franca
vill4franca
No I plan on getting new furniture, the paint color I would like to keep, but would be open to switch if it made the diffrence between ok, and amazing.
December 2, 2013 at 7:18pm   
qoais
Is the color a sea foam green or am I imagining the green tint?
December 2, 2013 at 7:24pm   
vill4franca
imanging it, its off white/tan/beige type color...
December 2, 2013 at 7:28pm   
qoais
Well, I've tried twice to upload my drawings, but it isn't working for some reason.
December 2, 2013 at 10:29pm   
qoais
Will try with just one.
December 2, 2013 at 10:30pm        Thanked by vill4franca
qoais
Ok, that worked, I'll try again.
December 2, 2013 at 10:32pm        Thanked by vill4franca
qoais
Once more and that's it.
qoais
I don't know what colors you like, but this is warm and cozy.
December 2, 2013 at 10:48pm        Thanked by vill4franca
vill4franca
Wow qoais, thanks so much for this. I like these ideas I really appreciate you taking the time to put the drawings together for me!
December 3, 2013 at 7:01am   
qoais
You're welcome. If you want me to change the furniture color or the wall color or whatever, it's easy to do.
December 3, 2013 at 7:13am   
vill4franca
No need, the only thing is I'm not 100% sure that I can find 2 couches that will fit like that. I went shopping last night for furniture and most were to large to fit that way.
December 3, 2013 at 7:17am   
bellesum
Is it really possible to fit 2 love seats and an end table in the L shaped corner in the living room? The dimensions could be off.
December 3, 2013 at 7:23am   
AlessandraDesign
Yeh I thought the same...when I was doing my floor plan, I took measurements of some loveseat and arm chair onlince and I was only able to fit one loveseat. Vill4franca, if you want to have one more seat in the room you can always add an ottoman to the layout or use a big ottoman as a coffe table instead.
December 3, 2013 at 7:31am   
vill4franca
Yea I was going to add a cocktail ottoman or w.e they are called as the middle table in your layout if I did it. Yea you guys are right I can not fit the 2 love seats like that, there is a gap to the left of the small door opening that's not in the pictures of about 2 feet, rather then the door being right up to the corner like qoais put it.
December 3, 2013 at 7:37am   
AlessandraDesign
What is the measurement from the small door to the corner of that wall? Also I would take the door off of that entrance and just leave it open, since the door has that 2' space away from the wall, it just looks silly.
December 3, 2013 at 7:47am   
vill4franca
Its about 6.5 ', and yea I was thinking about taking it off, your right it looks a little weird
December 3, 2013 at 7:48am   
December 3, 2013 at 8:03am        Thanked by vill4franca
vill4franca
wow thanks!
December 3, 2013 at 8:07am   
AlessandraDesign
Look for sofas and end tables with those measurements and I suggest an armless chair since it is a small space.
December 3, 2013 at 8:11am   
qoais
Made a few changes. Darkened the walls for a warmer feel, and lightened the fireplace.
December 3, 2013 at 8:12am   
qoais
I took it that the wall from the door was 8' so a 5' loveseat would fit, plus the table at 2 1/2'. Love the furniture you've picked AlessandraDesign.
December 3, 2013 at 8:57am   
qoais
villforfranca, if you could give me some truer measurements, that would be a good thing.
December 3, 2013 at 9:57am   
qoais
Tried to get more of a close up so the print can show up better.
December 3, 2013 at 10:03am     
vill4franca
the wall across from the fireplace that you have the loveseat on is only 6.5' the other wall that you have a couch on is only 8.5'
December 3, 2013 at 11:51am   
qoais
Ok, so we ARE back to one loveseat and a chair. That's ok, it still works, especially if you get a large armchair and some of the occasional chairs that can be moved around to sit either by the fireplace, or toward the coffee table for conversation or watching TV. I think the TV should stay where it is, but be placed in a beautiful cabinet. Then you have storage for all the accouterments that go with it.
December 3, 2013 at 1:54pm   
bellesum
Not a fan but given the tight space, I think an L shaped sectional or a sectional with a chaise might be the best fit. This PB Square sofa with chaise measures 103 inches on the longer side and may even exceed your 8.5' wall by one inch (if that wall is exactly 102 inch).

PB 3 piece sectional (without chaise) http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-square-upholstered-3-piece-small-sectional/?pkey=cpb-square-sectional&cm_src=pb-square-sectional||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
December 3, 2013 at 4:51pm   
vill4franca
Thanks everyone for helping, I decided what I'm going to do. Ill post some after pictures next week sometime when I get everything in!
December 4, 2013 at 9:13am     
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Kitchen Island Decor
I have a large island in my kitchen and am struggling...
Living in the garage while building your house.
We are thinking of building a small garage to start...
entryway
I have a dual staircase without enough room to put...
Tile issue
My bathroom is almost completely tiled, and I'm happy...