Ideas for exterior of rustic house
karyn0523December 2, 2013
I just bought this 30 yr old rustic house. It has great features but needs TLC to be brought back to life. This is a picture of the exterior. My dilemma is, first, whether I should restain/seal the cedar or paint the cedar. Second, if I keep the natural cedar, what color should I paint the porch posts and rails. I look forward to your ideas!
sybillacirce
Re-stain and seal. Olive green and touches of a deep burnt orange or rust to make the wonderful porch railing pop, I don't think I would paint posts. Do an online simulation. Better Homes and gardens used to have one so you can at least get the idea or photo shop it. Awesome, wonderful house. What's the inside like??
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:45PM
sybillacirce
Do the door same porch railing color.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:46PM
karyn0523
Thanks for the feedback! Another thing is that the posts are actually currently painted a kind of a pinkish brownish color - hard to see it in the pic, so I would still need to paint them or strip them and stain I guess.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:49PM
karyn0523
Here are some pics of inside :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:51PM
karyn0523
I am thinking grey for the walls in the living room
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:55PM
sybillacirce
I used to live in house somewhat like this. It had the same type of fireplace and mantle and a loft. I had a 22 ft Christmas tree one year. It was awesome. What is the style of your furniture? I would think about redoing fireplace with stone tile and extend that out eventually and can the mantle. Gray would be nice with the stone though. Good luck with your project!!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:09PM
houssaon
What a wonderful house. I vote for stain on the exterior. I can see the railing spindles in a dark green or dark red with a red front door.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:10PM
sybillacirce
That split between wood paneling and regular wall is somewhat disconcerting. Stone tile could unify that whole wall and provide a great focal point for some art or a new mantle or sculpture.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:12PM
karyn0523
Basically starting from scratch as far as furniture is concerned. I want the space to feel modern and cozy, not cabin themed if you know what I mean.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:21PM
houssaon
I like the idea of white washing wood paneling when it is a good quality. A light grey wash on the panel and grey on the walls would look super.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:24PM
karyn0523
Do you mean the paneling on the inside next to the fireplace or the paneling on the exterior? i was contemplating a color wash on the exterior. Olympic has a stain/seal that comes in all color washes or solids. In a lot of pics on houzz I have seen gray painted wood with white porch rails that is nice looking.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:28PM
mrwillie
You didn't ask about this but if you find any spindles that are rotten when you paint or stain them keep a sample to bring to a wood turner to make a replacement. It makes it much easier for them to recreate your spindles. Love the house!
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:35PM
sybillacirce
I have painting paneling many times. I agree with houssaon. Right now I'm painting white over my nasty dark wood paneled hallway. So can showcase all my brightly colored art prints and cool mobile. That would work wonderfully.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:46PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Please keep it rustic contemporary. I would stain it and seal it. Use SIKKENS only. It is the absolute best. ( We use it down here in warm humid SW Missouri, where things mold and rot). It looks like a great house!
6 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:49PM
bungalowmo
Great place with good bones!

I think the builder missed the mark on the finishing, tho. The door & window moldings are far too wimpy for the scale of other things. It's like he ran out of cash! You can have samples cut & see which design fits your style. (tack them up around the doorways with different finishes on them). For the window & door trim, I'm seeing somewhere between 3 & 4" wide.

I'm also not a fan of that funky light colored tile on the floor in front of the fireplace. I'm seeing a classic terracotta & dark grout.

Those little things make a big difference. And none of them really need to be done right away.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:52PM
rredpenn
Gorgeous and lots of potential! I like the darker spindles idea too. Right now, they look like teeth in the photo-- :)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:00PM
atrice
I love this era/style of home, this will be beautiful!!! I vote for stain/seal cedar exterior, paint spindles a neutral/ nature pallet from your surroundings. Interior I love rustic modern you have great potential here...please post pics as you go :)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:24PM
williemokes
Love your house!! I would definitely remove the spindles around the top!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:32PM
sstarr93
The style of the porch is much more "country" than the main house, which seems to be a modern design. Was it added later?
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 4:41PM
karyn0523
I am not sure if the porch was a later edition or not, but I agree with you that all the styles make it hard to figure out what to do! I am loving all of the ideas. Keep 'em coming!! :)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 5:16PM
karyn0523
I am liking the idea of removing the spindles around the top completely. It feels a little overdone with everything going on. thoughts?

Here is another angle of the porch:
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 7:10PM
nwduck
Gosh, the spindles (above and below) are one thing that makes this house so special! I saw a Houzz photo not long ago that had a fresh bright cedar stain, with the trim in dark charcoal gray. In the darker color, I think the spindles would look more like graphic art, and less like rustic/San Francisco painted lady trim. I would take out the curlique brackets at the front door posts (and also the other doorway, if they are there.) Modern hanging pendants over each door entry. Whatever the plant is there by the front steps....I'd do those all the way around the bottom of the house. Simple landscape to complement your "spindle art". Switch the door to all glass with simple frame. Eliminate the window mullions. I'd keep the fireplace, but alter/reduce the tile hearth surround. May want to eliminate those stone bits on each side of the fireplace wall, so the fireplace stands alone as a signature piece. I'd keep the wood ceiling natural (to tie into a cedar stained exterior), and eliminate wood on the walls. The wood on the wall does look like it may be a good product, that might have the possibility to be recycled/resold. That outbuilding one can glimpse seems to have an excellent party patio future...... Cool place!:)
4 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:02PM
reggiesmall
What a house! Incredible potential!

I have to agree: the upper spindles don't do the house justice. Neither do the pretty little scrolls above the door entrance. (I'm sorry but I actually think that the door itself is not quite right for the style of the house.)

Do you want to do something around the base of the house to cover the squares?

Different looks depending on how you envision your dream home :)

Good luck! Such a fantastic home.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:19PM
karyn0523
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I have seen a lot of exteriors on Houzz that are bright cedar with dark trim as well. I am going to play around with that on the BHG simulator and post some possibilities.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:25PM
karyn0523
I plan on taking out those palms and doing Azaleas all the way around to cover the cinder blocks. My husband doesn't like the door either. I really like this example you posted of the house by the water with the green trim.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:27PM
nwduck
The one photo of cedar/charcoal I saw that was most striking, and prompted the thought for a graphic scheme was a waterside deck in Seattle, by the Dan Nelson design firm. I admit I was also imagining all the cool shadows you could create on your porch ceiling with the right exterior lighting of your spindles. If, you know, you want something a little creative and fun in your after-hours. :)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:36PM
karyn0523
yes, the contrast between the dark trim and fresh cedar is really nice
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:48PM
nwduck
Azaleas would be beautiful. All white maybe? Cedar/charcoal floating in a white cloud? Would some white dogwoods work scattered on your property?
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:50PM
mcbriec
Love love love this house!! It looks very Victorian folk to me with the fabulous spindle work. Please don't take any of them out since they give your home such a unique character!

The inside is fabulous too. You are lucky!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by karyn0523    December 2, 2013 at 9:15PM
karyn0523
Thanks! What would you suggest for the color of the posts and spindles mcbriec? Olive green and dark charcoal have been suggested. The only way I will be able to keep the spindles is if I can find a way to make them work and the house look current and updated. I want everything to look pulled together and not out of place.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:21PM
reggiesmall
Karyn0523, as usual there's no wrong answer.

Whatever makes your family enjoy the home is the correct choice. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:28PM
karyn0523
definitely! :) sooooo many options though!!
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:30PM
nwduck
Well, it could be worse! Unpaintable vinyl box with no details and bad neighbors. When you love a house, it generally loves you right back. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:35PM
reggiesmall
Ain't that the truth. Sometime I wish that there was no choice.

When I can't decide what I like, I work backwards and eliminate what I definitely DON'T like and don't want. I can then work my way towards the one that makes me happy, smile, feel comfortable and generally says 'Ooooh pick me!' :)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 10:07PM
mcbriec
Karyn, Since you feel that the spindles are slightly overwhelming, which of course is understandable since there are so many :)), I think staining them a dark brown or charcoal color will help them recede against the cedar, but still retain the home's original character. I also think the cedar would look gorgeous stained an olive green. It really is such a unique and charming home and I love the huge ceiling in the great room. You are incredibly fortunate not to live in a cookie cutter home!
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:06AM
mcbriec
I have this memory of seeing an Ideabook which discussed different types of architecture and which showed photos of these incredible mountain-type homes with really detailed fretwork which was kind of folk Victorian in nature. I have searched but can't find what I remember reading. Your gorgeous home really makes me think that it is very unique. I wish an architect were reading this to solve the mystery.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 5:37PM
karyn0523
me too! :)
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 8:22PM
nwduck
karyn: If you don't mind sharing, where IS your house located, generally speaking. There are a few pretty research-oriented members of Houzz that could perhaps help you if they know that bit of info.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 8:38PM
karyn0523
The house is located in Louisiana
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 8:44PM
nwduck
So, it's true, I am enamored with your project. The poster above who mentioned Victorian folk style had it right, I think. Did a little googling. It was not uncommon for folks who built simpler homes in your larger geographic area to mimic elaborate Victorian home trim work to dress up their home's style. For that reason, I think the porch is the original part of the house. (The foundation piece of the house is also a clue.) The house probably had a slight pitch on the roof, or maybe even a flat roof. To dress it up, the spindles were added around the whole porch. The current pitch of the higher roof, the clerestory windows in the upper roof, the wood ceiling, beams, the floor to ceiling stone fireplace all seem part of a remodel sometime in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I'm imagining this might have been a family home, passed down, and "dad" or a relative did the spindle work that they couldn't possibly take down, or face being disowned. That's the one reason I can come up with that a remodel of this scale in a later era wouldn't have also eliminated all those details.

I think you have a couple of choices, depending on how you feel about the historical parts of homes. If you have a more modern vibe, and want it to look like the picture of the house on the water, you'd do away with the spindles altogether, upper and lower, and replace the porch railing with something simpler in style. If you decide to do that, I would encourage you to not just pitch all the spindles. Seek out an architectural re-seller in your area to come take a look before you take them down, and perhaps all those items can have continued life in another setting.

As I live in a part of the country that encourages the "different", I'm still a fan of keeping them as a graphic element of a modernized house. That may not be your personal taste, the way you envision your life in the house, or even the thing to do in your real estate market. And as I mentioned earlier, there's a "love" thing with homes! It will be great, either way you go.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:08PM
brickln
I like the look, too- perfect for Louisiana, but since you want modern I'm agreeing with reggiesmall on the spindles and the door. If it were me, I'd go with mcbriec's color scheme and add a few rustic/antique elements to the interior.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 11:50PM
Christine Virgin
Just love the house the way it blends into its surroundings , stain and retain or rub down and nourish........ do not forget the maintenance side... !! ........Maybe some light coloured pebbles around the base of the building ( which already has a raised bed that could be enlarged a little ) , same pebbles around the trees and a path leading to a light coloured patio at ground level to the left of the deck with some colourful/ white pots to emphasize space in the plot .
We have just bought a house probably built in the same era with a simular situation needing modernization ..... and at first the thought " moss" for the flower beds then realized that it was light that needed to be reflected so put white pebbles and EVERYONE that comes to the house comments on how nicely they have made the original features look .
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 12:24AM
karyn0523
@nwduck - Thanks for researching the style. I had no idea that 'folk victorian' was a thing. I want to keep the spindles now. I searched this style and there are tons of pics to look through. I am a fan of 'different' as well so it's okay with me to keep the house the way it is. I just want it to work color-wise and look interesting, not tacky. So I am still a little concerned about color simply because none of the 'folk victorian' houses I viewed have a natural wood siding - they are all painted which allows the colored spindles to work. I am excited to find a way for this to work now though! I think it will be much easier to pick railing/spindle colors once the house is cleaned/sealed/stained in a fresh bright cedar color. I will post pics once this is done.

@Christine - could you post a picture of your house with the pebbles? I would love to see what it looks like.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 11:13AM
karyn0523
I think the olive green/ charcoal/ rust combo will work. I just have to figure our which parts get what color.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 11:17AM
karyn0523
Also - opinions on the front door. Should I replace it with something simpler and colored?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 11:18AM
karyn0523
here is a better view of the other side of the house with the carport
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 11:25AM
mcbriec
Karyn, I would make the standard suggestion given to new homeowners which is not to make any major changes until living in the house for a while. I know that when we bought our new house we thought we were going to use it one way and ended up using it in very different ways, and that things I thought I hated, I didn't hate after all.

With time, you may find that the spindles really grow on you, or, conversely, that you are quite certain you hate them. I would only do things where you have a completely unequivocal feeling about, say perhaps the asymetrical wood paneling on the left side of the fireplace. In the meantime, I'd "shop" on Houzz for inspiration photos so you get a clear vision of how you really want to decorate the space and the look you're going for. I think organic modern could be cool, using uncluttered pieces with lots of natural texture. With this house, you have unbelievable opportunities and I could easily see it being featured right here!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by karyn0523    December 4, 2013 at 1:45PM
mcbriec
Sorry, this discussion was just hibernating on my computer when I made my last comment so I didn't see the question re the front door. Is the front door leaded glass? I think it's beautiful, but I'm not sure it's the best style with that arched shape in the glass which to my eye doesn't seem to relate to other elements. I think it looks a bit odd to have such a strong horizontal line with the clerestory windows and then have this sort of "frou-frou" arch right below it that is not repeated anywhere else in the design. But that's just me!

I might consider a simpler door (maybe kind of Craftsmany??) in a really deep burgandy that doesn't compete with the spindles. But I'm a sucker for red front doors. I would still suggest that you cogitate upon it awhile before you replace it. If it is leaded glass, you could get $$$$$ for it.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 1:58PM
karyn0523
I think it is leaded glass and I have always wanted a colored door!! I agree with you - I think the doors are gorgeous in their own right, but a little to frou frou and busy.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 2:02PM
nwduck
Karyn: That Victorian folk internet trip was really interesting, for sure. I had another spindle reclamation thought...this probably depends on how handy you or friends/relatives are! It looks like the top row of spindles is about the same dimension as the space around the bottom of the porch, and has the same number of upper spindles to rail spindles. What if you did the siding in the cedar color (including that below the porch area), take the top spindles off, flip them upside down from the current orientation--i.e. so the top rail the spindles are attached to becomes the bottom--and put those sections on the area below the porch? You could paint the trim charcoal, the main posts charcoal, the spindles and handrails rails a dark olive green. A simple full glass, wood frame door on both the front and side entries, that you could paint as you wish. (Maybe a more intense sort of terra cotta color drawing from the cedar stain, depending how it turned out.) You could do some large rectangular offset dark stone slabs set into the grass to lead from the drive area to the front door, which are rather modern. Take down all the trellis bits on the carport and just do simple vertical slats in the same rhythm as the porch rails. If you could do a couple of black industrial style hanging lights in the carport (which naturally, I thought would be a great party space before you said it was a carport!), it would up the cool quotient on arriving at the driveway/parking pad. And still make a great party space. :)
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 7:17PM
mcbriec
Really like NWDuck's ideas except for removing my beloved upper spindles!! Since I'm a gardener I would like to dress the bottom of the house with plants and remove all the busy lines which only add to the spindleitis problems (LOL). I also think the lattice between the carport and house should be removed (is that what NWduck was referring to?). I can't see the rear of the carport very well but if that is plain old lattice back there I would get rid of that too.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 9:06PM
nwduck
mcbriec: I originally was loving the upper spindles as well. Am still conflicted, however, since Karyn put up the other view of the house, I thought maybe another spindle use would be better. If you see the really big angled fly-roof with windows as you drive up, the spindle edge makes less sense than in the original front door view, where you could get away with it better since the clerestory window line is straight. And yes, the broken trellis piece between carport and house could go. Maybe nothing should go in its place. At the rear of the carport is what appears to be a mix of square trellis/plain rails.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 9:24PM
reggiesmall
Karyn, after seeing the other view, with the carport and the clear view of the modern, angled upper windows, it's more obvious (at least to me) that the poor upper spindles are on the wrong house.

I now actually think that the railing spindles themselves are too fussy and there are too many of them as well.

Perhaps the lot can be sold; there's definitely a market there (we can tell, as you have several pained followers wishing the spindles remain.) :)

Yup. Trellis to carport has gotta go. And the rest of the trellising needs also to be unified and simplified.

The lines of house are amazing; they're just obscured by a bit too much decoration.

Can't wait to see what you do!
    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 6:13PM
mcbriec
nwduck, I completely agree that the spindles are much less attractive on this side of the house because of the angled roof which is really modern and at odds with the whole spindle gestalt. But the rear of the house is the utilitarian side rather than the "fancy side" so my focus would be on the front and I think the spindles need to be the same around the whole house. If they are stained a darkish receding color they won't be so "in your face" and will look more "blendy." This house is very quirky and does not follow standard aesthetics!! I'm doing a huge remodel right now and I'm quite sure that the result will generate tsking about the failure to follow rules!
    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 6:27PM
hparks74
Go modern your house can support it. Remove exterior banisters and run horizontal metal conduit.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 6:45PM
hparks74
Replace decorative post with square cedar post or wrap your current post with cedar 1x6. Give the illusion of a 6x6 post without the expense.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 6:47PM
nwduck
Day 4 of My Spindle Love: Since you just bought this house, and there's plenty to do, just find the color scheme that works with house/trim/rail spindles. Replacing the bottom rails would be too darn expensive. Take down the upper spindles. (Sigh.) BUT, what if you found a new place for them? You could take out the trellis parts inside the carport lower railing, and do two rows of the upper spindles inside the basic lower frame at the back/side of the garage, painted in the same color as the house rails. Reduce, reuse, recycle, as they say.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 8:53PM
reggiesmall
Mwduck, I'm enjoying reading about your attachment to the spindles.

Maybe you have a place for them at your home? It'll be a win/win situation. :)
    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 10:05PM
mcbriec
It's lucky I'm in California or I would be handcuffing myself to them to prevent their removal!

Actually, I'm doing a hippie Moorish Mediterranean and I contemplated using a distressed "picket" border under the eaves. Maybe I could adopt the spindles!
    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 10:22PM
nwduck
I wish I had a home for them reggiesmall! I live in a NW 1970s contemporary custom house that has some elements of fly roof, high beamed ceilings, etc. When we redid the house, there were some unfashionable elements of our home that I kept....and now people always ask me where I found the incredible Venetian tile on the buffet and about the puzzle parquet entry. (The gold brick pattern vinyl in the kitchen was not deemed interesting enough to save. I may be sorry later. But I doubt it.) During my career in commercial real estate I've seen far too much of ripping out and throwing away of unique elements replaced with something in style and cheap. Too often, people do the same things with houses of character. I shudder to think how many incredibly high quality products have wound up in landfills. It seems to me Karyn is a thoughtful owner/caretaker of a non-cookie cutter, special property. One of the reasons I suggested earlier that she have someone out to look at pieces of the house she may not want is that there may be value in them--artistically, historically or financially. It's hard to tell from the photos if the things like the spindles, or the interior paneling are just some regular old thing that may indeed deserve a landfill ending.

Now stepping off soapbox in defense of interesting things! :) :) :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 11:07PM
Christine Virgin
I agree with Mc briec .... wait a little before ripping out ...at different times of the year the sunlight changes and the architect no doubt took this into consideration.
We bought last May an architect built 1978 house nesting in the woods it looked really dated .....they had difficulty selling the property .

We removed the wallpaper already the house looked different the more I worked at the house, the more I came to admire the features that at one time really shocked my partner and I !!! The stone tiled floor looks great and modern now we have put very plain cable management skirtings that hide the original stone skiirtings (this was a blessing for the new electric rewiring ).

I can now really feel what the architect had in mind and go to great ends to defend the features and enhance those same features that shocked .
Houses are just like fashion !

As Mcbriec says distressing the wood changes immensly the feel and look .
I have distressed carved cupboard doors in our past house that most would of thrown out and are now admired
. It is the same thing with our new house people were incapable of seeing it's potential now find it amazing even though it is not yet finished .
To create those spindles now would problably cost a fortune and they are what makes your house unique.
Do you know who the architect was ??
No doubt if you drive around your area you will find other examples of his builds and how they have been updated or maybe he is still around and examples of his work are on internet .
A landscape designer can do wonders to balance the spindles with a contrasting contempory garden houzz has great ideas have a look at houses high on banks to see hoow one copes.
Beware of architects who want to put "their" trade mark and maybe mutilate.
It is far easier to renovate a house which has no character !!
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 12:57AM
Christine Virgin
plant to the right white Hortensia Angelina it looks really fantastic if the climate permits
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 1:12AM
reggiesmall
mcbriec, mwduck, Christine - you make a good case! I hear you well. :)

So Karyn..... Does the lovely , elegant necklace of spindles get to remain on your princess of a home?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 6:10AM
Patricia Colwell
I don't think this was meant to be a rustic house. Much more in the modern look. When I see the side view even more so. For sure get rid of the upper spindles (what are they for?). Get rid of anything that was added to the facade (scrolls etc ) Stain the cedar it never paints well. Clean up the railing with something less busy and use wood that can be painted or even black metal. Inside get rid of the wood panelled wall next to the painted one it looks very odd. I think the inside could easily go more on the contemporary side and I would work on getting the exterior closer to that too. I think whoever had the house before tried to make something rustic out of a great modern house.The front door doesn't fit rustic or modern would have to go if it were my house.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 6:40AM
karyn0523
Thanks so much for all of this feedback. You all present great arguments. I can now envision the house both ways. I love the idea of keeping the spindles because of how unique and interesting it makes the house look, but I can also envision this as a gorgeous modern house if the spindles were removed and square posted added. My problem is that I love to many different styles. My current house is very cookie cutter and has frustrated me from the beginning because of its lack of character. This house could become so many different characters!!

Here is where I am at now: I plan on keeping the spindles for a while, painting them, trying them out, seeing if they work once painting and staining is done. I want to replace the doors with something simple, craftman, and colored (dark red most likely). After I live with them a while, I will make a decision as suggested. I will post pics along the way. I appreciate all of your suggestions and opinions!!

As far as the architect question - this house was built by the father of the older lady that I purchased it from. He created the plans and contracted out the work. It has only been owned by those people (they rented it out for a while).
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:01AM
karyn0523
Here is another question for you guys: I know how most of you feel about the paneled wood on the left side of the fireplace but I don't think I will be messing with that yet sooo with that being said what color do you suggest for the wall. I was thinking a dark grey to go with the fireplace and darken up the right side of the room to help even out the darkness on the left. Thoughts? I used the BIG simulator and really didn't like any other color!! Nothing popped out at me, but I am not thoroughly convinced with the dark grey. I was trying to stay away from beige... There is already so much brown in the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:15AM
karyn0523
*BHG not BIG
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:16AM
Christine Virgin
True the inside panalling seems odd but I'm contradictory ?????i do the same on the other side ....Contemporay furniture or white/striped / coloured striking upolstry .....could be just what is needed
We went for a meal at friends and the first thing I have noticed was that they had the same floor as us and it looked great when ours looked so dated !!! What really changed things was the halogen spot lights ... modern lighting and furniture changed the whole aspect . This is what totally changed my mind on the floor which I would now like to keep !

Maybe sand down woodwork if light is needed Inside and out for continuity ... sort of white lime wash to empathsize the natural look ... (sorry my spelling is getting bad ,I've been living in France for 40 years )
As winter came I saw our porch lit which has the same pine cladding as in your house and the light reflected the light from the gloss varnish and has makes me hesitate about painting it white .
Vintage is authentique and fashionable ,definately different to everyone ...... and du faux vieux is how so many people try to imitate houses like yours !
Maybe your house is reproduction but it does not look like that it seems to have definate character .
Our new house is the only one in red brick all the others in our road where white have dated ours has resisted and has a really contempory feel ...
We power washed the bricks , then put a moss killer.... as the weeks went by the bricks got lighter and lighter as the moss killer worked and suddenly the house became luminous . we are adding a waterproofer (which I have already done to another house and even after 10 years there is still no moss ) our new house renovation no longer looks folorn and our neighs say don't paint it !! It is hell keeping clean their white walls in this Woody avenue .
Do not forget to keep things low maintenance ...
Well what have you decided with all these contradictory points of view :)
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:44AM
Christine Virgin
A warm contemporary quality white paint for the interior with Modern art work
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:47AM
nwduck
Karyn, there's an interior color that lots of Houzzers rave about...Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter. It's gray, but is a warm tone. Something like that would be dark enough to balance the wood wall, warm enough to go with the other materials. You have plenty of windows bringing in light, and lots of openings in the walls so I don't think it would be too dark. If you type that color in the Houzz search you can see it in a variety of rooms with different lighting. Paint really is the least expensive thing to do!
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 9:17AM
karyn0523
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 9:18AM
Christine Virgin
Here is our project we are going to Knock off the small balcony that blocks the view from the bedroom of the garden then use this balcony base to put decking (and at the same will be a car port) the decking will also cover the existing patios incorporating the narrow passage and the slanting beams which will be distressed instead of dark tint so as to match the decking ......the overall effect is to link to the two half houses as I call them..... and at the same time to take the accent off of the the slanting beams that are too obvious ...but at the same time understand that the architect wanted the house to melt into the ground ....... We want to put velux Windows as we are going to convert the loft into living accomodation ?
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 12:10AM
Christine Virgin
In what state is your house ?
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 12:11AM
Christine Virgin
model
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 12:22AM
mcbriec
Kary, Another grey Benjamin Moore color is Silver Fox which I believe is darker than Revere Pewter.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:18AM
mcbriec
Here's a pic of Silver Fox.

1 Like    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:21AM
Christine Virgin
oops load a wrong photo !!
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:29AM
mcbriec
Hmm. Now that I look at it Silver Fox has too much lavender undertones which won't go at all with the paneling. I think a brownish grey would look much better.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:55AM
dclostboy
BM Hearthstone might look good on both sides of fireplace.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:00AM
mcbriec
I think a greige would be the best to pick up browns and greys in the stone.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 11:23AM
OnePlan
Lovely project !!!
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 2:11PM
Log Homes of America
Just my opinion, and I didn't read all of the previous comments, but keep the cedar and replace the railings with powder coated aluminum spindles. Great prices through decksdirect.com. That would modernize the look tremendously while still keeping the tradition and style of the original look.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
How to update a red brick fireplace to fit a rustic mountain house?
Has anyone had any experience in staining or painting...
emikendall
Looking for exterior colour ideas to update this house/ cottage
Weir chased this 80's style home on a lake but would...
S. Q.
Dream Rustic House on a large plot of wooded land
I want it all: a big cabin-looking house, animals,...
lyddiekitty
Rustic Craftsmen and Rustic Italian?
House is framed as a rustic Craftsmen. Is it too late...
nursej40
Kitchen suggestions to compliment rustic post and beam home
We are ready to remodel our kitchen and would love...
tlm3p
Ideas for 1960's ranch exterior
What would you do with this exterior? The door is a...
bstorr1974
Need help deciding options for opening doorway to kitchen
Any advice? We want to open up the kitchen so are considering...
michelle_ekkert
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
I need help
I would to appreciate who can give what is the suitable...
pity30002000
Bathroom naked!
Help! We had to pull out our old double sink. It was...
claud272