Are you a fan of the chalkboard wall?
Jeannie Nguyen
We're seeing more chalkboard walls in homes lately. Do you like them?

Vote and let us know if you would put one in your home. If you have photos, post those too!

YES - It's fun and unique.
NO - I don't want to deal with the dust.
NEUTRAL - I could live with our without it.
Marilyn Wilkie
Awful. Even in grade school I hated the look of a "used" chalkboard. I always volunteered to wash it clean. I didn't vote because "I hate them" was not a choice.
December 2, 2013 at 5:20pm     
Mac Interiors
In college I actually painted one of the larger walls in our apartment with chalk paint. It works wonderfully, truly like a real chalkboard! But...if you've ever used a chalk board for longer than an afternoon you know it never looks as good as new after the first creation. I would caution homeowners to only put chalkboard paint in play rooms or in less trafficked areas of their home. That way the clean up time is limited, and as the vibrant black of the paint begins to cloud with dust it will be in a room with less visibility.
December 2, 2013 at 5:23pm     
chookchook2
A plain wall would have been better above, as there are many patterns in the pic. Even the light is busy.
December 2, 2013 at 5:23pm     
1807henry1
She's bossing people around ):
December 2, 2013 at 5:50pm     
Michael Lee, Inc
no way what a mess
December 2, 2013 at 5:55pm     
Scott Thomas Interior Design
Think it's fun & whimsical. Chalk Paint markers are easy breezy - no mess/no dust. If you have kiddos, this is a cool installation to let them "express" is a unique way. We like!
December 2, 2013 at 5:59pm     
I bet in a child's bedroom a chalk board would be a big hit. I've GOT to tell you. The BEST purchase I ever made (over 8 years ago) was a big dry erase white board and a dozen different colored dry erase pens and eraser. When my grandkids (or anyone who visits will small children) come over I bring out the board and lay it in the middle of the floor. The children look like a flower laying on the floor surrounding the board and entertains them for at LEAST 1/2 hour. Go figure. I just slide the board under a bed and pens in the drawer.
December 2, 2013 at 6:06pm     
armipeg
No, no, no.....it's messy, ugly, and out of place. Can't stand it.
December 2, 2013 at 7:00pm     
iloveittwo
IM ABOUT TO PAINT A CHAULK PAINT ON MY BASEMENT DOOR. I LOVE HOW SERVICIBLE THEY ARE. IM SURE ILL BE A LITTLE OCD ABOUT KEEPING IT CLEAN AND UNIFORM. MY DOOR HAS FOUR PANELS SO EACH 2 KIDS AND PARENTS WILL GET A PANEL FOR MESSAGES OR REMINDERS. LOVE IT!!!!!!
December 2, 2013 at 7:26pm     
sbrustein
I prefer cork tiles on a wall to make a large bulletin board for lists , drawings, photos, etc.
December 2, 2013 at 7:30pm     
agoldsmith
We have one in our laundry room and LOVE it! Great for shopping lists, etc.
December 2, 2013 at 8:02pm     
I use chalk board but then erasable,liquid pen marker. Much prettier. Just wipe it off.
December 3, 2013 at 2:40am     
northernchic
ASVInteriors, can you tell me what product names you use. I love the idea of a chalk board but I think they always look so messy!
December 3, 2013 at 3:26am     
Liz Davies
I love having this next to my fridge!
December 3, 2013 at 3:34am     
Hi Northernchic, will do so when I get back down my mountain at the end of the week. (straddling two places right now!). In the middle of a Changing Room special, where time has run out and not enough has been done!
December 3, 2013 at 4:32am     
frig_this
if you have kids who want to express their creativity this is fine. Because they tend to prefer a wall which is more appealing than a chalk board, but other than that it is tacky. Also you may want to work on the colour scheme of the room it's all over the place.
December 3, 2013 at 5:07am     
Jan W.
frig_this: If you look at the link with the photo, the room wasn't designed by the person asking the question. As for the rest, I think chalkboard walls can be playful and fun. If you get tired of it, just paint over it. No big deal.
December 3, 2013 at 6:15am     
Robin W
I have a 1' strip around my office that is used for notes and such. If I could find out the name of the stuff ASV uses, I'd be in heaven. The chalk dust is a bit much sometimes but otherwise it's great. I also used a magnetic primer underneath so we can put up papers too.
December 3, 2013 at 8:11am     
Studio M Interior Design
Wouldn't want to deal with the dust but for a kids playroom or butler's pantry, I say go for it!
December 3, 2013 at 8:58am     
Mussman Design Associates
We just put a white dry erase wall in a football players "home office Looks good there but in a room for everyday living, no. The first chalkboard room I saw, besides school, was in a showcase house in the 90's. It amazes me that others are just now catching up when design is moving on. I do respect those you love it though.
December 3, 2013 at 9:10am   
koolbeanzzzz
Ok, so I had comment on this for the good, bad and indifferent. Several years ago, when my youngest daughter was about six years old (she's 14 now and a freshman in high school), I decided to re-do her bedroom. I really wanted to give her a chalkboard wall because she's very artistic. Actually, I have re-done her room twice with chalkboard walls. The first time around, I bought a quart on-line that was great but a little pricey (about $35.00 per quart) and you have to choose from the colors they offer only. The second time around, I did some research to find out if I could make the chalkboard paint myself because I wanted the wall to be the same color as the rest of the room. It's very easy to make your own chalkboard paint (see recipe I attached) and much cheaper than purchasing on-line especially if you buy the paint at Walmart :) You need about 2 quarts for a wall that is approximately 10' x 10'; 2 quarts = two coats for my project. The most difficult part about this project was making sure the wall was completely smooth. This is a very important detail which the first time around, I did not do such a great job with that. I love the way it came out and my daughter has been using it for years! Her friends have fun with it too. They like to leave comments when they visit. And, after all these years, just yesterday I was in her room and asked if she still likes her chalkboard wall. To my surprise, she said "yes" because sometimes in the middle of the night she wakes up with school work on her mind and does not want to forget so she quickly jots it down above her head so it's there for her when she wakes up in the morning! Yes, there is a little chalk dust, but it vacuums up and then I damp mop if necessary. After all these years, my daughter still uses it and you would think being in high school now, she might think it's too childish, but still loves it. I'm so happy for that!

It's a good project and it can grow with your child.

Good luck if you try it!
December 3, 2013 at 9:14am     
Studio NOO Design
Yes, it is fun for kids...I installed one in a game room and one in a kitchen too, the kids love it and the Moms write the grocery list on it !
December 3, 2013 at 9:14am     
Mac Interiors
@Darzy I can definitely see how a white board would be the a huge hit with grandkids! @ASVInteriors thanks for the tip on the liquid pens to keep the chalkboard clean.
December 3, 2013 at 9:15am     
Shakúff
It's obviously great & unique if you are committed to cleaning it often and are super artistic to make it pleasing to the eye if it's in a high-traffic area. But yeah, all that dust! I'm neutral to it.
December 3, 2013 at 9:22am     
yoboseiyo
i'm meh about chalkboard walls.
December 3, 2013 at 9:52am     
Sustainable Dwellings
I do plan to add a picture framed chalkboard in my mudroom walk-in area for groc. list, etc...
December 3, 2013 at 9:55am   
I got the idea from watching restaurant and cafés write their daily specials on black chalk board. So I asked them what pen they used. It is white "ink" and dries. You wipe it off with a damp cloth. For next day's menu!
December 3, 2013 at 9:58am     
Leslie Kreger
I painted a chalkboard on the inset panel of the pocket door that separates my kitchen from the sunroom….usually tucked away, but I typically use it as a 'menu board' for special dinners, etc. or put seasonal quotes on it.
December 3, 2013 at 10:02am     
Mac Interiors
Ok, I'd be way more on board with chalkboard walls if I had the product @ASVInteriors recommends. Less mess, and a fun design twist for family homes.
December 3, 2013 at 12:20pm     
Visual Jill Interior Decorating
I love chalkboard walls, especially in family rooms and offices. When helping developers choose paint colors for their new homes, we will often spec a chalkboard wall and then make it look cute during the staging. And yes, I use the chalkboard pens -- no dust, and you can add a lot more detail. In the first photo below we drew chalk "frames" around kid's artwork, mixed with real frames. People loved it!
December 3, 2013 at 1:19pm     
SECRETS D'ESQUISSES
Tablea
December 3, 2013 at 1:22pm   
SECRETS D'ESQUISSES
tableau noir et laissez libre cours à votre créativité familiale !!!!
December 3, 2013 at 1:22pm     
Teresa S-j
We put a piece of sheet metal on one wall and hang notes, pictures, posters, etc. with magnet.
December 3, 2013 at 3:21pm     
Daniel DeSantis Interiors
Can be a dramatic accent in a white kitchen
December 3, 2013 at 3:32pm   
Mac Interiors
Very adventurous @VisualJillInteriorDecorating, I like it! I think my favorite part about your photos is how cozy the rooms feel, but with a modern flare. The sleek lines on the couch, the chic light fixtures you selected, it's fabulous. I think the only difference would be using Edison bulbs in the fixture to further compliment the design.
December 3, 2013 at 3:33pm   
riyazbashir
It looks best in kids rooms or any colorful room
December 3, 2013 at 5:19pm   
Spaces...by Marina
In a new construction job the young teenage girl wanted chalkboard paint in her room so her girlfriends could autograph her wall. The room is not done yet, but here is a preview!
December 3, 2013 at 7:34pm     
paradisecastle
It might be fun for the kids, but it would probably end up looking more cluttered than a refrigerator covered in magnets.
December 3, 2013 at 7:54pm     
hishoney
Had a chalkboard cabinet door in my kitchen 30 years ago. Loved it! Ever hear of dustless chalk? It's out there and doesn't make a mess at all. Not too sure I would do a whole kitchen wall in it though.
December 4, 2013 at 1:14am     
juliebes
Yuck
December 4, 2013 at 3:05am     
piedmontdiva
No discussion about chalk and respiratory problems? If your kids have asthma, do not use a chalkboard! The particles get inhaled no matter how much you clean it. I wouldn't want it in my house...
December 4, 2013 at 3:05am     
kaffien
Perfect for play areas only really... I couldn't see it being used for non kid areas tbh
December 4, 2013 at 3:35am     
northernchic
I've already painted my basement. Would it be hard to just taper off a rectangular box and apply the paint myself? I thought it would be a good score board.
December 4, 2013 at 4:00am     
@northernchic ... That could work fine. Just ensure you check the paint for any prep work you might have to do.
December 4, 2013 at 4:18am     
jbmummy
No, no, no, not for me... whatever is written/drawn on it looks scruffy and then the cleaning up mess...! My friend installed one for her children in their playroom and guess what - they also drew on the non-chalkboard walls - another NO reason for me! Paint or paper please.
December 4, 2013 at 4:37am     
mepllc
Fun, fun, fun. Let's all the artists at home as well as guests be creative. The best part is, it is always changing and a great outlet. Fun way to tell the kids to write on the wall.
December 4, 2013 at 6:56am     
rosebud3
Messy. Don't want to be cleaning/breathing in chalk dust. Phew!
December 4, 2013 at 8:32am     
java747
We just put one is our summer home. I ordered the chalk markers from Amazon, but then were told they would not erase. Maybe I should order them again to see if I can remove the marks. The board is a little messy, I think a white board is more fun and easier to clean, but that being said, everyone thinks our looks great. Who has the liquid chalk and it works?
December 4, 2013 at 8:34am     
java747
oops, here is the photo of ours.
December 4, 2013 at 8:36am   
M J MILAN
That sounds wicked...........
December 4, 2013 at 8:59am     
gypsyrose17
No one is ever as artsy as those shown in photos...you have big scribbled messy wall most of the time with poorly drawn shapes. You can't tell if my hubby writes by hand or by foot, its a guessing game as to what it says...certainly don't want his lists all over a wall. (Overall I think they are mostly for folks who "color in the lines", not for those who don't "stay within the lines"....they probably have perfectly colored coloring books too.)
December 4, 2013 at 10:25am     
beatrixandrea
I have a wall of translucent laminated glass that brings light into my dark, windowless kitchen. We soon realised that we could draw on it with dry erase markers. I write "inspirational " quotes, work out concepts and write notes to the kids. Guests will draw on it, too. Yes, most of the time it looks messy, despite the fact that we both have fine arts degrees, but that's reality: no magazine shoots at our house! at least it's semi-contained on one wall.
December 4, 2013 at 10:51am     
chrisinky
Teresa Sj-What type of sheet metal did you get for your wall? (If I go in Lowe's what section will it be in?)

I just got stainless appliances so no more putting important papers & sports schedules on the fridge. I had thought about using metal inserts in the panels of my pantry door for magnets but I'm not sure exactly what to buy.
December 4, 2013 at 11:13am     
gypsyrose17
Magnets will stick to stainless steel, just not to some of the thin stainless alloys used in some appliances...next time bring a magnet while shopping for your appliances.
December 4, 2013 at 11:24am     
momof5x
I don't like them either, reason being is healthwise it is not a good thing to be around daily on an environmental level. I think that is the reason most school changed to white boards.
December 4, 2013 at 11:27am     
merrigay
I had one in a playroom and the kids liked it but I didn't because of the mess and they don't clean that well. They prefer a whiteboard now but I did paint the top of the table they had with chalkboard paint and they enjoy it and it's not as messy. Don't use the liquid chalk tho' because it really doesn't erase well at all.
December 4, 2013 at 11:36am     
juneshockley
I like the IDEA if a chalkboard more than the reality. It usually just looks messy.
December 4, 2013 at 11:48am     
chrisinky
A few years ago a co-worker decided to paint a wall in our conference room with the white board paint. A few days later we all wrote on it with dry erase markers & talked about how cool it was. Then we went to erase it & it just made smeared blobs of color. We tried windex & alcohol, but nothing took it out. Now we have this shiny white wall in our conference room with orange, blue & green spots. No one ever writes on it, but we use it for the projector wall now. Hopefully the quality has improved some, but maybe test it on a scrap board first if you want to use the white board paint.
December 4, 2013 at 11:50am     
Jenny Strong
I had one in my kitchen and love it. Have moved and am in the middle of buying a new house and have already worked out where to put the new chalk wall. Family and friends draw and leave inspirational or fun messages on it. My little grandson draws pictures very time he visits and his uncles and aunty draw pictures beside his to complement them. I remind myself of things I need to buy. Everybody who visits loves it. The best way to get a really clean chalk wall without that chalk residue is to wipe over with a cloth dipped in Cola.
December 4, 2013 at 12:18pm     
Rachel Elliott
A friend uses the coloured chalk pens that shops use to write on her glass splash back. Looks amazing, no dust. That idea could be extended to a glass or Perspex wall instead of a dusty chalk wall. In fact, now that you have brought it up I might try it myself!
December 4, 2013 at 12:25pm     
elenanoir
When we moved into my inlaws to save for a house, we had to deal with a big, ugly as sin filing cabinet in our room. I was thrilled to be allowed to paint it w chalkboard paint, and we ironed on some cheesy wood trim to make it look like a loved piece of furniture. It has been our personal message board for a couple years. A project well worth the effort. I can recreate it for every season, teach with it...and happily say good bye to it someday. I wouldn't paint an entire wall, but in the right place at the right time, chalk board paint is definitely my friend.
December 4, 2013 at 12:37pm     
apachemesa
They're perfect for a schoolhouse...I'll pass!
December 4, 2013 at 1:52pm     
deanlewis
I like them, and will have one in our playroom soon. I wouldn't have one in a main living room though.
Also for people's info, coke cleans blackboards really well.
December 4, 2013 at 5:47pm     
December 4, 2013 at 5:57pm   
Lisa Johnson
I just ordered peel (and easy unreel) chalkboard stick ons from Blik.com only $12 each.
December 4, 2013 at 6:40pm   
Oh...I forgot..a couple of years ago I purchased a "stick on" the wall white board with a faux frame for above my granddaughters desk in her bedroom. I think it was $20 from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It uses dry erase pens and her friends write little notes on it when they have a sleep over.
December 4, 2013 at 6:48pm   
dianepettis
No thanks, can't stand the smell of chalk or the feel of it....blame the nuns..lol
December 4, 2013 at 8:23pm   
thedarlingsbecca
If we're talking decorating - messy- looking! The colored walls with light chalk looks much better than the black walls with white chalk.
December 4, 2013 at 11:24pm   
rubyloves2shop
It does seem to be a huge trend at the paint store I am asked for it frequently. I never did it myself since I don't want the dust... dry erase would be easier to deal with. Personally I have lots of art supplies and we use paper or canvas at my house for our drawings.
December 4, 2013 at 11:28pm   
modernistlover
Robin, thanks for the tip about magnetic primer! Contractors are currently painting pantry door and DD's bedroom door with chalkboard paint at my request, having been inspired by Houzz. No way is it 'tacky' and can easily be painted over if you get bored of it. Will also be sourcing erasable liquid pens thanks to ASV for a slick look.
December 4, 2013 at 11:33pm   
lastwordlinda
I painted a chalkboard on a bare kitchen wall that couldn't have cupboards on it. I framed it in rough hemlock from our property and stained it to match my chestnut cupboards. My grandchildren love it. I post the menu when we have family gatherings and guests leave messages on it. I have a big box of multicolored chalk made by Crayola. I love my chalkboard and so does everyone that comes in the house.
December 5, 2013 at 3:54am     
blerdmann
I have a magnetic chalkboard pantry door and absolutely love it! My grandchildren use it all the time. I wiped it with cola once when it was fairly new. The cola wipe has kept it looking new and really cuts down on the dust, and I haven't yet needed to do another treatment. I have respirative issues and the chalkboard has never been a problem. I'm thinking about doing a chalkboard wall in my basement.
December 5, 2013 at 9:01am     
serenityjo
Love my chalk board wall. So do my grandchildren.
December 5, 2013 at 9:19am     
Shower Curtain HQ
I love the idea if a chalk board wall like I love the idea of having a dog. Sounds fun but somewhat unpractical. If you use real chalk the dust makes for a huge mess on the floor
December 5, 2013 at 9:58am     
prettydog
I have a chalk board sliding door. It's the door to my pantry. Everyone who walks in to my house for the first time says they love it. I love it too. I put phone numbers on it, appointments, grocery lists, and other reminders. I''ve had it for about 17 years. My grandson gave me the idea when he was two and started using some sidewalk chalk on the unpainted wood door. I painted it the very next week. Children love it and I don't mind the chalk dust…just wipe it up.
December 5, 2013 at 6:49pm   
Green Chek Solutions LLC.
Chalk board walls are great! Easy to make. I have one that acts as a calendar and part of it as a magnetic board. Its there for the family to add their appointments and always easy to see at a glimpse.
December 10, 2013 at 9:14pm   
ruth1841
As a former teacher I can't recommend chalk dust as a home improvement.
December 12, 2013 at 5:32pm     
Green Chek Solutions LLC.
I agree. We have used the chalk pens but they are a bit tougher to get off. So to remedy this we use a damp cloth to do our erasing.
December 13, 2013 at 6:38am     
JL Interior Design, LLC
I voted yes but don't think it is by any means 'unique'. I think the house above is fun and inviting and probably perfect for the home owner. Kids love expressing themselves at a young age & when they get older, paint over it. It's only paint.
December 13, 2013 at 6:58am