Two Years and still have an unfinished living room....please help!!
nonnahs70
I need help. I think we have good bones in this living room, but I am very stuck on ideas for drapes, ottoman vs coffee table, and artwork. Please any ideas welcome. I love pottery barn style, but dont have the pottery barn budget!!!
saratogaswizzlestick
I would like abstract art to lighten up and invigorate your room. I am not good with curtains but I would like some pattern in the room as everything is a solid except your pillows. I would like more texture too so consider oil paintings and nubby fabric. An ottoman would look good. You have good bones, now you get to do the fun stuff.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 2, 2013 at 6:13PM
I think something like this would look great on your windows. Beefier rod and clip rings..

1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 2, 2013 at 6:14PM
How about trying this...pull the sofa closer to the TV and make the sofa/loveseat into an "L" shape facing the tv with the side table in the "corner" of the "L". Then, take your entry table and put it behind the sofa since you'll have some "empty" space there. A new accent chair on the blank window wall with one of your table/lamps will fill that space. How you like your arrangement will determine a coffee table thought for me.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 2, 2013 at 6:19PM
nonnahs70
I like those curtains...and I I like the idea of the art. Just really need help. My daughter tells me I am boring, cause I have difficulty experimenting with color and texture. This explains all the black clothes in my closet..HA HA.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:20PM
Your room does have great bones. If you're afraid of color, you can mix metals and textures and it won't be boring! :)
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:24PM
hayleydaniels
I found some great panel curtains on Overstock.com for a very reasonable price. When the backing came off because I washed them before hanging them based on some reviews saying they had a strange odor [mine didn't], Overstock.com replaced them for me saying they must be defective as the label says they're washable.

Some pictures with lots of color would also brighten up the room. A good place to start looking for posters is allposters.com. If you're interested in free pictures, try freedigitalphotos.net. I've done well with their pictures so long as I stick with the 5x7" prints.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:25PM
Break the mold and buy a Flokati furry pillow. :)

Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 2, 2013 at 6:26PM
This is pricey, but a coffee table like this, rustic modern would look nice with your leather, yet a modern, textural twist.

1 Like    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:29PM
PS If you put a live palm tree in the right corner by the tv, it will instantly add color and life to the room!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:30PM
saratogaswizzlestick
Have your daughter help you pick something wild. Art, curtains whatever. That will bring your room to another level.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 6:32PM
mfwolfe
Rita and tzealim are two pieces of art shown in Products today. They are both nice pieces of art and would go with this room. They are also inexpensive. Maybe this would be a place to start. I would attach them but I don't know how. Sorry
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 8:00PM
Let your daughter pick out curtains and pillows. Then move the furniture closer to be more intimate. Add a coffee table and art and you're well on your way.
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:46PM
bryght.com
Hi, great space, here are some ottoman ideas from Bryght that I think would work in your space

1. Edward ottoman in white
2. Nes ottoman in hazel
3. Oscar ottoman in beige
4. Nova ottoman in a creamy white

For more ideas check out Bryght http://www.bryght.com/browse/17/sofas-ottomans

Happy Decorating!
    Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 10:53PM
ebeth43
I have an open floor plan much like yours. I originally "blocked off" the living room area with the sofa and love seat the same way you did, but the homes are open for a reason. You are almost telling people to stay out of your living room space. Look how when someone enters, the end table keeps anyone from being able to get to the room. I would move your Sofa to the TV wall and love seat to the window wall, find a nice palm for the corner there like someone suggested for great texture, color, and interest. Find a comfy chair for the side where you had the love seat. If you get one that has slipcovers, even better so you can change it when you want. The TV would be on the wall across from the sofa. I liked the curtain and heavy rod idea. The white sliding door cover is detracting from your space. Since you are not sure about whether to get an ottoman or coffee table why not get a nice big ottoman that can hold a large tray. You could even change trays when you want, like for Christmas, or use a heavy one in the fall and a lighter color one in the spring. Art is a very personal thing. (Whatever you choose make sure you don't hang it too high. LOL) Moving things is free and will make a big difference, the other things you can do as time and funds allow. Happy decorating and Happy Holidays!
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 1:25AM
nonnahs70
Thank you all so much for the ideas. If I move the couch to the switch the TV/couch around, would I be causing people to walk in front of the TV. That was my concern. Or is that rule of decorating out. I love those ottomans, thank you for the suggestions.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:05AM
nonnahs70
Darzy....Love that table... Its funny you put that Flokati pillow on here...I ahve that one downstairs.. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:10AM
ebeth43
I don't know how many people there are in your family, what your viewing habits are, etc. but I don't think you need to worry about people walking in front of the TV too much. My TV is over my fireplace now, and you would think it would be immune from that, however my precious hubby manages to stand right between me and it whenever I'm watching anything. He could and by rights should walk around the other side of our coffee table but he always goes the "wrong" way. Gotta love him :)
Also, if you move the TV to the opposite wall some of you will be able to see the TV from the table and breakfast bar. A good thing for some people, a drawback for others.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 3, 2013 at 10:24AM
nonnahs70
Ebeth43:.... I will be trying the new arrangement this weekend. Will let you know what happens. My family is so used to me rearranging this space, just can't seem to get it right!!
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 7:54PM
Could you do the sofa/loveseat in an "L" along the window wall? It would look so much more open from the dining space. Then, schooch the tv over to the left more center with the wall. Then, an accent chair sort of floating facing the "L". Love to see a photo of that arrangement. :)
    Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 8:01PM
Accent chair to float on the left of the tv and angled toward the "L" of the sofa/loveseat?

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 8:05PM
Muse Interior Design and Consultation
I see you having an ottoman in this space, because this room is super cozy, and incorporating red into the art and window treatments. Maybe simple panels, and an abstract landscape. Maybe check out a HomeGoods or a Pier One for affordable pieces.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 3, 2013 at 8:32PM
Angelina Vick
I would like to help with art suggestions.

What kind of art appeals to you?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 3, 2013 at 8:33PM
nonnahs70
Hi, Thank you for the advice....I love red...but love all "warm colors". I have red here and there throughout the rest of the house. Any art with nature, random stuff, not a huge fan of flowers.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 5:52AM
Angelina Vick
You're welcome.

OK. I will come back with some art ideas for you to consider
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 9:40PM
Angelina Vick
Ok...I'm going to start with some red work. =)
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:22PM
Angelina Vick
Red...with other colors
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:23PM
Angelina Vick
Some more
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:24PM
Angelina Vick
Warmer
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:25PM
Angelina Vick
Now...I have a huge set of medallions.
Here is a link to the gallery, and a peak of some of the designs. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/art/all/ornate+designs+and+medallions/all
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:28PM
Angelina Vick
Another idea...I don't know if you live near any of the major US cities in this series, but I have some cool designs in it, you might like.

Austin TX Golden Bokeh Print

This is a piece that shows every city I have in the series.
USA Skylines Vertical Lined Rainbow Print

Washington, DC, Black And White Concrete Jungle Print

Las Vegas NV Rainbow Spectrum Print

If you like one of these cities, they all have a different flair to them that would be good elements.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:42PM
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nonnahs70    December 4, 2013 at 10:49PM
kristylou
Hi my name is Kristy, and I am a Pottery Barn addict! First things I notice are that you need a rug and some curtains. I cruise their site and catalogs to get a feel for what I like and then I scour thrift stores and the internet to find things that are similar. Use a PB room as your inspiration and then take your time collecting things to make it work. Can you post a few rooms to give a feel of what you want this room to be when all is said and done?
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 8:52AM
nonnahs70
Hi Kristy...I know the "PB Addict" feeling. I love them!!! I will look this weekend and get some images to you....Have a good day.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 10:02AM
h_zawawy
The extended walls and it's color made the view being boring,you need to devoid the scene by coloring some of the items of furniture or replace the art work there by huge colorful art work to change the boring tempo.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 10:24AM
nonnahs70
h_zawawy...thank you for your imput...any ideas??
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 5:28PM
nonnahs70
kristy lou...Here are a few of the rooms I love... I would love to "run" with these ideas...where to begin?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 5:30PM
kristylou
First stop I'd think is a rug! I love the jute & chenille type. Here's a budget friendly one from Target: (if your budget has PB taste vs the more inexpensive Target, let me know and I'll find others.)
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-chenille-jute-woven-area-rug/-/A-13668245#prodSlot=medium_1_10&term=jute+%26+chenille+rug
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:35PM
kristylou
Start gathering pictures you like around your home. The picture frame gallery wall is wonderful. You can get mats inexpensively or you can even make your own. The last pic looks like it could have burlap behind the photos which is super easy and cheap to do. It looks like you like a little black accents in a room. Go with it either in some of your frames, or maybe the legs of a coffee table. Finding a coffee table second hand and painting the legs black, then upholstering the top is super easy and will give you the look of PB.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:37PM
kristylou
There doesn't seem to be much pattern or color in your pics. Do you like the subtle look, or was it just coincidental you chose pictures without either? (Just wondering what examples to give that you might like.)
Baskets are also PB'ish. You can get those anywhere to put pillows, extra throw blankets etc in.
(Amazon has a large selection as do a lot of Hobby Lobby stores is you have one local.)
PB almost always mixes natural wood tones with some black "painted" pieces so shop your home and see what you could work with.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:46PM
h_zawawy
I think you have to change this tv table with other horizontal required to collecting the tv with huge and colorful art work to be matching with pattern in furniture and the ruge.
The problem which I'm trying to solve that is to make group ,because "group is power", I saw that no links between any items and others.
    Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 7:27AM
ginnysheen
We, too, were working with a far-less-than-Pottery Barn-budget. We had a HUGE blank wall behind our sofa. After a good bit of poster hunting, we ended up buying a room divider at (where else?) roomdivider.com, a copy of a favorite painting. We removed the hinges between each of the panels, and placed them side by side as if one piece. Looks great, and cost about $110. We did the same thing with a pale floral shoji screen in our dining room. Not exactly the start of a great art collection, to be sure, but it's still a "smile" to enter the room.
    Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 1:05PM
apple_pie_order
Old post.
    Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 2:29PM
ginnysheen
missed it. Sorry. Showed up same place as the newer ones.
    Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 2:34PM
Help me decorate the living room, please!
I've been struggling with this room for about 3 years....
cgraham37
Furniture layout for living room/family room ...Help please
We have recently made out old home open concept. I...
imsuzz
drab living room - HELP PLEASE!
I would like to change the paint color, get a small...
lbravyak
Unfinished living room
Is a shame to say this but for some reason or another...
Carolina Lizarraga
Help with layout of lounge/dining room please!
Dear Houzz Guru's, I have come to you to hopefully...
jadean
What colour trim?
Looking to replace the windows, garage door, eaves,...
The Graces - ReMax Hallmark Realty
odd cabin kitchen layout..where do we eat??
Help! There is no room for a kitchen table and chairs....
stumpedinnc
need help updating a ranch
I love modern. I want to paint outside ranch.
jillover
removing soffit florescent lighting in kitchen
The kitchen ceiling had a recessed area that had drop...
susangillette
budget bathroom remodel
I am getting ready to start a remodel in my bathroom....
almanorigo