POLL: What's on your December checklist?
Houzz Polls
December 3, 2013 in Polls
What's on your December checklist?

Vote and tell us below! To enter the drawing to win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment (or photo) telling us your top 3 important December tasks.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 12/11/13. One winner will be drawn at random.
Put up holiday decorations
Create more warmth in your home
Keep walkways clear of snow/ice
Prep for a remodeling project for next year
Plan for holiday home safety
Update your emergency kit
Other - Tell us Below!
ebeth43
1) Survive the holidays during my unscheduled remodel. Sink leaked and now I don't have a kitchen (gutted) or floors in my breakfast and dining rooms. Made my homemade cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving on a hotplate with my granddaughter. Some traditions must go on!
2) Create a warm holiday atmosphere in my kitchen-less home for my son's first Christmas home from college.
3) Be thankful for all my many blessings and friends and family!
December 3, 2013 at 10:47am     
Barnhart Gallery
The fact that the furniture I wanted to complete the guest room was on sale during "Cybertime" doesn't help -- I snagged a great deal and it will all arrive soon, long before I'm ready for it. Need to clear the unhoused storage items the furniture will contain, and wallpaper first. The door will be closed to visitors until after the holidays, as there's a chance that if I start first but don't finish, my dining room will be filled with the guest room's contents when we host our upcoming dinners and festivities.

So that's what I won't be doing. Do list for home is keep clean, decorate, finish long gifting list and prep for hosting.
December 3, 2013 at 10:49am   
Teresa S-j
1) Clear space in my daughter's room (she moved out) for a work/craft area for me.
2) Create a pantry out of my closet whose contents will be moved to the work/craft area.
3) Decorate for Christmas.
December 3, 2013 at 3:18pm   
Nicole Lee
holiday decorations! christmas tree, lights, anything festive :)
December 3, 2013 at 4:18pm     
happyasaclam
Barnhart Gallery, I feel for you. We are in almost the identical situation. Getting everything squared away before family comes for the holidays is tops on our list. Getting the decorations up will come next. We have a lot to do!
December 3, 2013 at 4:26pm   
7j DESIGN
1. Indoor /Outdoor Decorations 2. Mail Greeting Cards 3. Plan for a dinner party.
December 3, 2013 at 4:28pm     
armipeg
1- Our snowed in lighted 1800's style Christmas village of 26 houses and other buildings, and 150+ figurines and decorations goes up.
2- Outdoor and yard decorations is done.
3- Fresh cut Christmas tree comes home from lot, decorated by our sons.
4- Sit with kids in front of fireplace, drink hot cocoa, chat, and listen to Christmas songs.
5- Plan family gatherings.
6- Just go with the flow.
December 3, 2013 at 6:40pm     
brokenglish
1) get plans in motion for remodeling all of our bathrooms
2) choose a hardwood floor
3) eat, drink and be merry :)
December 3, 2013 at 6:45pm     
suzanne_m
1) Decoration
2) Gifts shopping
3) Cooking for the holidays
December 3, 2013 at 8:05pm     
ebeth43
armipeg you sound just like my best friend Jen. She has the best home to visit during the holidays. Everyone is always welcome and feels at home there.
December 3, 2013 at 10:54pm     
Feels Like Home 2 Me~ Home Staging in Toronto West
Outdoor lights done, check. Now to decorate our interior for Christmas.
December 3, 2013 at 11:35pm   
blrussell
Need to decorate...and really need to start wrapping presents that need to be shipped.
December 4, 2013 at 4:52am   
nadine_elkabash
Puting up holiday decorations!
December 4, 2013 at 4:59am   
bambrey
Re do a chest of drawers I painted in 2013. My first attempt and I thought I followed the directions. It is starting to bleed through badly. I'm going to sand and sand and start again. It actually looks pretty good at a distance but the bleeding has to go.
December 4, 2013 at 5:00am     
Peggy Tupper
Tradesguy is finishing the ceiling (new drywall and potlights), paint and refinish hardwood floors in the living room by December 15 so we can put up a tree. I am refinishing some of the furniture and cleaning drywall dust. Doors are sealed off but...... it gets everywhere just the same.
December 4, 2013 at 5:05am   
bonappetit
Put up decorations, build a new turkey coop, finish archway at end of driveway... Can we only put three, lol?
December 4, 2013 at 6:27am   
jimbo29
decorations!
December 4, 2013 at 6:29am   
foreverfarm11
move into my new home (fingers crossed)
December 4, 2013 at 6:55am     
armipeg
ebeth43 Thank you for your comment. I guess we all look forward to this time of the year. Enjoy your holidays :)
December 4, 2013 at 7:50am   
mrstravis
win the kitchen make over contest. When our house was built they installed the wrong cabinets and we did not see the mistake until after the counter tops were installed, we have always disliked the cabinets, they look so cheap.
December 4, 2013 at 7:52am   
frenchpuppy
My December checklist is quite long. We are planning a renovation of our kitchen which is
in need of much repair. We have put off doing it last year due to a family illness and are looking forward to having our family from across the country to come and enjoy the holidays
next year in our new space. When we purchased our house almost 15 years ago we
didn't realized that having counters blocking the eating area creating a nook which makes
it difficult to serve and add seating for family members. Also the cabinet frames are
made of metal and glued and over time have come apart so that the front doors
are falling off. We have one that fell and broke and one that no longer closes. The
space around the existing island makes it hard to have more than one person to
open the fridge or work at a counter. The floors are tile and so is the entire first floor
so we have to rip up all of the existing floors. Although we will not be able to have
the holidays at our place this year and unfortunately were dealing with a child
with cancer last year, we are hopeful to have everyone at our place by the Spring.
We wish everyone a happy and healthy New Year - Good Luck to all!
December 4, 2013 at 8:32am     
suerago
Make gifts for friends and neighbors! Sugar coated pecans.
December 4, 2013 at 8:47am     
Michael Lee, Inc
Christmas decorations are first on the list
December 4, 2013 at 9:14am     
Amy Hopkins, Allied ASID
1) put up decorations 2) send Christmas cards 3) Relax and enjoy the season with friends and family.
December 4, 2013 at 12:00pm     
G-Town Tex
Other...THIS December: Prep for move to a place where it is NEVER 2F *** smh ***
December 4, 2013 at 12:12pm     
bocjan
We are seniors and have a handle applied to our ceramic tile so we can get out of the tub.
Last night, the handle came out of the wall, bringing a tile(not cracked) with it and cracking another tile....only one cracked tile in this area.
All the rest of the tiles are in perfect condition except one by the hot water faucet that is also cracked (only one tile) when the new faucet was installed. The tiles are approx. 20 years old so matching them will be impossible. They are a beige with the odd tile with flowers on them.
Any suggestions on how to fix this without replacing all the tiles around the tub area that go to the ceiling?
December 4, 2013 at 1:34pm   
Laurie
We are moving into the home we just purchased this weekend. Our Christmas will be repairing and updating the basement suite as we have in rented for January first.
December 4, 2013 at 2:31pm     
sadie57
I'm looking for rustic kitchen cabinet doors. http://www.houzz.com/pro/cjdesigns/cj-interiors. Where can I buy some doors in Barrie, Ontario, Canada? I have an excellent installer so I just need the doors!

Thanks for your help,

Betty
December 4, 2013 at 3:57pm   
Badger Wood Custom Homes
its Dec.4, heading to Hawaii, have an offer on our house..building a garage, starting a new build soon, for possible clients..and moving and finding somewhere to live by Feb.28,bizy,bizy...
December 4, 2013 at 8:10pm   
granmajb
pushing to get the roof on a new addition, and replacing the one on an adjacent space before it starts to rain again, (in a few days, according to the weatherperson---temps are at 9 degrees so it will probably be snow). Bad time of year for northwest coast to have to replace a roof.
December 5, 2013 at 6:54am     
granmajb
bocjan---perhaps you can remove a few tiles in the area where the grab bar came off the wall, replace the bar, using a back plate attached to the studs to cover the area. For the other broken tiles---might consider replacing all the decorative tiles with new ones, if that's possible. It's hard to know without seeing the area, just how many tiles that would entail or whether it would upset the overall design.
December 5, 2013 at 7:00am   
houssaon
I can't wait until I get my Houzz slippers! what fun.
Keep walkways clear of snow/ice
Read some good novels!
December 5, 2013 at 7:14am   
OnePlan
I will be switching the CAD computer off at 17:00 GMT on the 20th December and won't switch it back on again until 09:00 6th January !! Bliss !!!!
December 5, 2013 at 8:53am     
bambrey
Oh I wish I had that much control. Good luck and Happy New Year
December 5, 2013 at 1:24pm     
meh4
I'm going to bring some life and excitement to my otherwise boring lanai...new carpet, lamps, plants, lots of color...
December 5, 2013 at 2:34pm   
jazz4677
Relax, unwind. Do as little as possible, enjoy simplicity. Enjoy family. Enjoy life
December 6, 2013 at 5:29am     
Harris McClain Kitchen & Bath
Emergency kit is something many forget about this time of the year. Power outage in the winter months can get very cold. Keep plenty of water in stock in the house and gas in the generators! Check on the elderly often and do a good deed by shoveling a elderly's drive and side walk.
December 6, 2013 at 9:17am     
sunnie2day
I'm spending my December prepping for a smallish reno of the current home and hoping to close on the new house so we can get started on the reno there as well - up to my scalp in spreadsheets trying to juggle all of it!
December 6, 2013 at 9:34am   
sandra1942
I plan to have everything ready by December 18. Then I'm going to read every magazine/catalog in a 2-foot pile without ordering more. My husband says "impossible" about the ordering part.
December 6, 2013 at 1:07pm     
yenicel
Put Christmas decorations up, get ready for power outages and get the house ready to have friends and family over!
December 6, 2013 at 3:38pm   
ravibala
Christmas decorations are first on the list. Gifts shopping.
December 7, 2013 at 11:36am   
Philip Liang Design
Putting up Christmas decoration is a lot of work, but it could be a lot of fun when I treat it like another design project, the reward comes when I get to share the wonderful results with my friends and family. On the other hand, having to undo all of it is never any fun.
December 9, 2013 at 1:19am   
nancyjohnrk
I am planning on enlarging my island bar. I have a boat shape piece coming next week that will be attached to the existing surface so that my bar stools will be completely tucked in when not in use. This space now has no congruity because the backs of the stools cannot meet the edge of the island. The waste of this space does not make sense and leaves me with an incomplete or unfinished, perhaps messy look. Can't wait to have it arrive. My husband and I will attach it and have a more comfortable Christmas Eve dinner that my brothers in laws and my husband do every year, Chechloslovakian Style!!!
December 9, 2013 at 8:43am   
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to Michael Lee, Inc for winning his very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one you still have a chance to get your comments into our Spare Rooms poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/760716/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--Spare
December 12, 2013 at 8:51am   
karelina
Update my emergency kit means make sure I have enough wood for the fireplace if the power goes out and enough vittles to eat with limited cooking capacity.
April 28, 2014 at 2:04pm   
POLL: What's Your Favorite Thing to Do at Home during December?
Although the month of December can be quite cold (in...
POLL: Your September Checklist
How are you preparing for the colder months? Vote...
POLL: Your October Checklist
What are your home plans for October? Vote and tell...
POLL: Holiday Prep Checklist
What is your top priority to prep for the holidays? Vote...
POLL: April Checklist
What's on your to-do list for this month? Vote for...
Coffee Table size/shape
I am struggling with what coffee-table to purchase...
Help needed for my brand new Toronto condo!
This condo has spectacular views and will be used by...
Help me identify these odd wall fixtures
Our house is a 1963 ranch. There are two of these...
Empty spot what to do?
I have an akward living room, where the kitchen counters...
Help with accessorizing new media console
Hi, we recently purchased the PB printers collection...