Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Need help completing our livingroom/fireplace area.

rfharmon
10 years ago
My wife and I recently moved into a condo, renovated, and now we're trying to decorate. We've just about run out of creative juice so we need help decorating the corner near our Christmas tree/fireplace before my in-laws come to visit in a few short weeks. Attached to this "blog" are a few pictures of our living room. Before Christmas, we know that we need to buy a fireplace mantle, mount the television, and actually put some paint on that abstract canvas above the sofa. But, even with those changes, the section of the room, near the fireplace will still look underdeveloped. We can really use your help:
1. identifying (affordable) rugs and curtains that work together and in this room.
2. figuring out what we can put on the walls to make this section feel warm and complete.
3. If there are things in this room that raise a decorating red flag, please let us know.

*We apologize in advance the pictures are so dark but we live in a middle condo unit and we had to close all of the windows to avoid having the flash run the pictures.*

Comments (44)

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the reminder! I hate to forget to remove those for the MIL! :-)
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    pretty rooms. love your dining light fixture.

there are two things that aren't really working for me (but these are personal preferences, so take it for what its worth) ... first, the picture frames in front of the lamps are a bit too big for your end tables for my liking. I would find another home for them. second, I don't care for how the metal sculpture is centered on the wall but the buffet is not (I see the heat vent on the floor so I assume the buffet can't be moved). I would move the sculpture by the tree/over the chaise. then buy a portrait shaped mirror or art for directly over the buffet, and maybe two smaller landscape pieces of art, stacked on top of each other, to the left of the buffet.
    rfharmon thanked Brenda
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you very much for your insight. I really struggled with whether or not I should center a piece of art above the buffet because I could not center the buffet (due to the location of the heat vent). It was my hope that centering the sculpture would draw your attention to the sculpture and away from the heat vent, I guess I failed miserably (LOL). I do like your idea of making a cluster of pieces vs. having one large centered sculpture. Thank you for this suggestion!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    Your TV is resting on the mantel so I'm not sure what you mean by adding a mantel to the fireplace. You have one! Yes, you do need to place the TV on an articulating arm so that it can swing away from the wall for better viewing from the sofa.

It's a shame that the chest by the radiator cannot go on a different wall. If there is nowhere else to put it, then I would place 3 shelves to the left of the chest and arrange some of your framed photos along with some books or objects . They photos do not look good where they are.

I'd add a lamp to the chest and move the object that is above the chest so that it is centered on the chest. If the chest is there temporarily, let me know and I'll have a different suggestion for you. You have too many things on that chest. Use a lamp and 1 or 2 other items. Get rid of clutter. One of the items could be a low colored bowl which you could fill with Christmas balls.

But before you buy anything else, I suggest you find a rug you like. West Elm or Crate & Barrel are good sources if you have stores near you. Online I like http://www.rugstudio.com/ Measure, please, but I expect something around an 8 x 10' size would work well for you.

You need a couple of colored pillows to enliven the area, and I'd take the colors from the rug. You can use the same colors in the painting you're going to do above the sofa. Add a little bit of the wall color to the painting also.

Port Washington Residence · More Info
    Zing Green Table Lamp · More Info
    rfharmon thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello Carolyn, I love many of your ideas! From the sound of it, my pictures frames are in need a of a new home (LOL). For now, the chest is stuck in the center of that wall but after Christmas, I can move it behind the chaise. If the chest is moved, what would be your suggestion for the wall with the sculpture currently on it... As an FYI, this wall part of the entry to the living room from the foyer so space is limited. Thanks again for your help so far!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would place a folding screen over the radiator and position the sculpture to the right of the screen. If there is not enough space for that, then I'd turn the space into an art wall and just ignore the radiator. Another option would be to hang the folding screen on the wall as a piece of art until you collect enough art to fill the space.

BTW, I would move the chaise further into the room. It looks like it's been placed in the corner like a misbehaving child. I'd pull it out about a foot.

South Boston Living Room · More Info
    Private Residence · More Info

Back Bay Project · More Info
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I absolutely love the art wall idea! Thanks for these suggestions! Just wondering, if I went the art wall route, would I keep the wall with the chaise simple?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes, the chaise wall could be simple. And it has occurred to me in looking more closely at your photos that perhaps you prefer neutrals. If so, this rug is a beauty and I'd add a white Mongolian lamb pillow (see West Elm) to the sofa also.
    Loloi Viera VR-04 3'10" x 5'7" Grey Rug · More Info
    White Mongolian Lamb Pillow · More Info
  • fos5
    10 years ago
    Paint your wall heater the same color as the wall, it will blend in and not be so noticeable. Decluter and try to group a few things together for interest. Start with a large rug that will set the pattern, & color scheme for you home, build from there. Any yes remove the plastic from your lamp shades. The suggested white mongolian pillow is a good idea, moving white around the room.
    rfharmon thanked fos5
  • Salih Narman
    10 years ago
    These might help for rugs & curtains as well
    VINTAGE Turkish Kilim Rug Carpet Handwoven by TurkishCraftsArts · More Info

Pair of rod curtains drapery panels window treatment by EllaSeeh · More Info
    rfharmon thanked Salih Narman
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Carolyn, our goal was to have a neutral palette that we could convert to color with ease, with the change of the seasons. Right now black, white, and burgundy/red are our accent colors. In the spring, I think we're going to put the red items away and buy some teal or yellow accent pieces.
  • daylightca
    10 years ago
    The lights above the dining table rock!
    rfharmon thanked daylightca
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Fos5, yes Carol and Brenda hit the hammer on the nail when they suggested moving around my accessories and de-cluttering! I really like your idea of pulling color from a rug and/or curtains too! I'm just not good at picking rugs or curtains so I've been a bit slow to purchase those items.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like your idea of a neutral scheme with seasonal colors added. The Viera rug comes in a couple of different subtle neutrals and is really nice underfoot. You can find it at the rug studio link.
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have been thinking about adding this mirror behind the chaise on the smaller wall, after the holidays. The goal is to add something a with cleaner lines that looks "expensive." Do you all think adding this mirror would be a pro or a con? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/marais-mirror-mirrored-floor-mirror?ID=619794
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Since you're in a hurry, get a large wreath to hang over the chair. A big grapevine wreath wouldn't compete with the green of the tree. Or go pinecone.
    rfharmon thanked leelee
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Caroyln, I'm a little hesitant to buy the Viera rug because my walls are griege (closer to grey) and my couch is greige (closer to beige). In fact, at night with my track lights on, my couch sometimes has hues of gold. We did not have this problem with our couch before we moved to this condo with less windows. With this new color info in mind, do you think pairing the couch with a grey rug with complement or compete with the color of the couch?
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Don't force yourself to make a quick decision on something permanent that you might regret later.
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @leelee I really like the idea of using a wreath to add texture and color to the wall! Thanks for this idea!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    If you're going to keep the lamps take the plastic off the shades.
    rfharmon thanked leelee
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I know you want your place to look great and it does. It could use a few touches but the most important thing is to relax and enjoy your guests. Don't get so uptight over these small details.
    rfharmon thanked leelee
  • fos5
    10 years ago
    Buying a rug. Go shopping and when you find what you love go home and wait 48 hours before purchasing it. After 48 hours if you can't get it out of your mind and still love it buy it. We live with items for quite some time so important not to make snap decisions on pricey items. Get a plan and stick with it, that way it will come together nicely when finished.
    rfharmon thanked fos5
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Remove the sideboard. Ikea has a floating shelf with dimensions Length: 74 3/4 "
    Depth: 10 1/4 "
    Thickness: 2 "

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00011013/

The Galant wall cabinet is Width: 63 "
    Depth: 15 "
    Height: 15 3/4 "

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80206530/#/20206533

Either could be mounted over the heater.
    rfharmon thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I would move the TV off the mantel and put it on a console (your sideboard?) to the left of the fireplace. I'd find another place for the chaise, perhaps angled in front of the sliders.
    rfharmon thanked groveraxle
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @groveraxle, I like the ikea of covering the heat vent but the still need the vent to heat the room and I'm scared of clocking the walkway with a deep chest... Thanks for the suggestion tho, I wish it would work!!
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    I meant to comment on your furniture, it's beautiful! I'd love to see a picture when you finish decorating!
    rfharmon thanked halfpint2
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Regarding the rug, it comes in a coloration that works with both beige and gray. Find out who is a Loloi rug dealer near you and ask them to bring in the Viera rug if its various colorations. You should not expect them to charge you for this if they are a dealer. They should be able to get these samples in for you to see at no charge to you. Then you can love it or not.

I would not buy the standing mirror. Instead I would buy a similar mirror from Z Gallerie, called the Reflection mirror, to place above the chest/console that you have. It comes in a 24 x 36" size at $249 and 32 x 48 at $299. I would go for the gusto of the 32 x 48" size to place above your chest/console,. but either size would work.
    Contemporary Wall Mirrors · More Info
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey guys, so far I've (1) taken the plastic off of my lamps (lol; no brainer); (2) de-cluttered the buffet, (3) rearranged the frames so the larger frames are furthest from the room entry; and (4) pulled the chaise closer into the room about a foot. The picture frames are wedding gifts so I'd feel bad giving them away but I'll have you all know that a few of them truly belong in the entry foyer (where a small Christmas tree now resides :-).

The next step is to mount the t.v., buy a rug, and a (white) corner fireplace surround. Once the holidays are over, I'll push the buffet to the wall near the fireplace and add a lamp to the center of the top. I'll also relocate those large pesty frames to the foyer and I'm strongly considering that photo wall as a replacement to the centered red 3d sculpture.

I still welcome all ideas (esp. those outside of the box). Thanks again all for the help, so far!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    rfharmon, we really need to see a better photo of your fireplace, because I'd hate to see you add anything to it. It looks great to me, at least from what I saw in the previous photos. I would def not add a surround to it, but show us a better photo please.

You may think you decluttered, but by golly, that mess under the left hand end table is in need of editing! The right side is a little better, but I suggest you stack the books or albums or whatever they are, instead of having them lean precariously as they currently are.
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Carolyn, I really simplicity of the Z Gallerie mirror that you posted!! I currently have a wall mirror (the ikea songe) on the other side of the table. Please let me know if you prefer it on the wall that currently has the red sculpture. I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
  • User
    10 years ago
    May have already been said but I would bring Christmas tree out of corner, looks lonely. Also it needs a larger skirt. Would put personal pics in bedroom.
    rfharmon thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I agree with judi, that pushing that Christmas tree into the corner is just like pushing the chaise into the corner. Pull them out, they need to breathe.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Your Ikea songe mirror is fine, but please turn it vertically and remove the trash receptacle from the dining area. Then all should work quite well in that area. Placing your mirror vertically will visually increase your ceiling height if it's low, and if it is high, it will emphasize the lovely height. Either way, it's a win, win result.
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Carolyn, LOL!!! You caught me with my hands in the cookie jar, I should have known better than to try to pull a fast one on your trained designer eyes (lol). The clutter under the left hand table are our God children Christmas gifts, they will be mailed out shortly. Reorganizing the right side and the lower coffee table now.... :-)

As far as the fireplace, please see the attached pictures. The current mantle has some (basic) tile work done. My goal with adding a surround (and perhaps better tile later...) is that the fireplace will look more complete. Here is a surround (not the tile) that catches my eye ( http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3200/85027/products/80/images/185/westin-wood-fireplace-mantel-main__69682.1309897384.800.600.jpg) but I welcome your thoughts on this topic.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Just to clarify fireplace terms, the mantel is the shelf projecting above a fireplace, so it appears that your fireplace has that. I did not realize from the previous photos that the FP was in a corner. I can see that now that I look at the photos again.

What is odd about the tile cladding on your fireplace is that it stops before it gets to the mantel and does not cover the mantel. It also does not seem to go to the edges of the fireplace area. So I now better understand your FP problem. And my goodness, you must indeed be having a problem working out how to mount the TV.

What I might do is built the wall straight up from where the front of the mantel is now. Then I would add a 5" (approx) stainless steel box out from the front of the current mantel (see photo below). This will become the new mantel. Below the new mantel, I would replace all the tile with a new tile, edge to edge.
    While at CHil Design Group · More Info
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Carolyn, that is a mighty fine solution! I love it!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    fharmon, your Christmas tree is lovely and once you get a pile of presents under it, the skirt won't show anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the size of it.
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the positive feedback Carolyn!!!
  • kellyvdkvarn
    10 years ago
    Gasderjhfs
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Carolyn, I have changed the direction of the mirror above the dining room table. You were absolutely right about it emphasizing the height of the room! Thank you!
  • PRO
    L/L Design - Build - Furnish
    10 years ago
    Hi.....You are getting a lot of great comments so far....and I'm happy you are receptive to them. My comment is in regards to rug buying. Sometimes with my own clients, after spending a ton of money of the main remodeling project, to bring in accessories the budget can be slim, so a lot of times I will head to Home Goods, Tuesday Morning, or Urban Home and find a great $99 rug....but my trick to make it feel more expensive is to go to my local Flooring store, and buy a 5x8 (or whatever size) 8lb rug pad from them....everyone who walks on the rug after this thinks the rug was much more expensive because of the cushion, thickness, etc.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Good idea LLJ!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    rfharmon, I'm delighted to hear that you changed your mirror's orientation to vertical and that you like it so well! I always hang mirrors vertically!
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths