Where to feature my grandpa's horse collar mirror?
mkmt4
This belonged to my gramps, and I would love to find a place of prominence for it in our home, but I'm kinda stumped as to where ... it is 18"W by 30"H ... it's fairly heavy, so I think we'll have to be careful to find a wall with a stud ... I had pictured it by itself on a smaller wall (if anything, maybe some kind of little table or stand underneath), but I'm not sure if we really have one that fits the bill, so now I'm wondering about grouping it with something - just not sure what? ... the look I'm going for in our home is "rustic elegance" ... thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions you might have! :)
It would look great over a console or buffet, but not a "little" table. The horse collar mirror is a gutsy piece and needs an interesting and somewhat hefty piece under it, such as the live edge console below. I would not mix it with other pieces unless they are equally rustic such as old bridles or pitchforks or other farm/ranch items.

December 3, 2013 at 6:45pm        Thanked by mkmt4
studio10001
Agreed. You might also consider over the bathroom vanity. Very nice piece!
December 3, 2013 at 6:48pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thank you for your kind words and thoughts! ... I don't want to have to mix it with other pieces, because I'm trying to avoid a western look and feel, but it's a great piece with rich sentimental value, so I'm hoping to find just the right setting ...
December 3, 2013 at 7:03pm   
mkmt4
Over the bathroom vanity is an interesting thought ... I am going to ponder that ...
December 3, 2013 at 7:05pm     
saratogaswizzlestick
I have seem people put a mirror in this. Lovely piece made even more so by the family history.
December 3, 2013 at 7:06pm        Thanked by mkmt4
Do you have a hall entry table? That might make a nice entry statement;)
December 3, 2013 at 7:10pm     
mkmt4
Margo, we have this one - the wall this is on is 9'H x 80"W ... I have another discussion going right now where I am contemplating putting my husband's elk antlers above that table ... didn't think about the mirror in that spot, because I thought it would be too small for the table ... but perhaps not? ... that is why I am asking for help and opinions! :)
December 3, 2013 at 7:27pm     
That light switch bothers me?? How about putting it up and taking a pic for us to see?
December 3, 2013 at 7:30pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Good point, Margo, that light switch is in an unfortunate place as far as putting the mirror above the table goes ... maybe that's another reason to consider the antlers for that spot, as I would put them up a little higher and I think place a couple items on the table (but I'm really not sure, I'm agonizing over every little decorating decision!) ;-) ... I will try to get a pic when I have an extra set of hands to help - I don't want to commit to any nails in my newly-painted walls until I'm absolutely certain on my decision regarding placement ... will use Command products wherever possible, but the antlers and mirror will need something more substantial ...
December 3, 2013 at 7:40pm   
Genevieve
I would suggest to place it near the entrance add a few more pieces next to it and the bench that was suggested above , if you could wallpaper that wall in a wallpaper that would compliment it it would make it even more special to you .

December 3, 2013 at 7:40pm      Thanked by mkmt4
I felt that that table would be too small for the mirror, but you're saying you felt the opposite. Why not give it a try, even if you need to move it to a different wall.
December 3, 2013 at 7:44pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thanks, Genevieve! ... my goal is definitely to make a special place for it :) ...
December 3, 2013 at 7:45pm     
mkmt4
Carolyn, I will definitely try it, based upon your recommendation! ... many thanks!!
December 3, 2013 at 7:50pm     
smartin1
It's such a special piece, you really want it to stand out in a place of importance. I wouldn't pair it with anything that would diminish it.
December 3, 2013 at 9:24pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thank you so much, smartin1, I'm really hoping to be able to do that! ... my head is spinning with ideas, for sure!
December 4, 2013 at 5:33pm   
Brenda
what a great piece to have. I love it. I would stick with you original idea and hang it over a small console table -- in an entry way or hallway.
December 4, 2013 at 5:39pm        Thanked by mkmt4
I've seen them featured in the powder room where you can let the theme run wild.
December 4, 2013 at 5:43pm        Thanked by mkmt4
Brenda
oh, decoenthusiaste -- powder room is a GREAT idea!
December 4, 2013 at 5:46pm     
mkmt4
That it is, Brenda, thank you so much! :) ... whenever I finally make my decision and execute it, I will post a photo (don't anyone hold their breath, haha!) ... deco, the closest thing we have to a powder room is our main level bath, which is a three-piece ... the paint color in there is Wood Chip, which would be a perfect complement to the mirror ... I could totally picture remodeling that entire bathroom based around that mirror, but - probably not realistic with our budget ... although it is a pretty darn small bathroom ... hmmmm ...
December 4, 2013 at 5:52pm   
mkmt4
Just for grins, here is a pic of said bathroom ... we already need to change the fixtures to match the paint color (which the pic does *not* do justice to), and I think the floor and vanity would work as-is (I'm sorry it's not the best quality picture) ... thoughts??
December 4, 2013 at 6:01pm   
What do you mean you need to change the fixtures to match the paint color??
December 4, 2013 at 6:34pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
We don't? ... I figured we'd need to change to something like an antique bronze ... but I greatly value your opinion!
December 4, 2013 at 6:38pm   
If your house is leaning in a slightly contemporary direction, then I'd do the fixtures in brushed nickel or chrome. And for sure if you don't want to change the metal on the shower surround, I'd stick with that color. But if the house is quite traditional and you're going to change the shower surround metal also, then you could choose oil rubbed bronze. It would not be my choice, but there are regional differences that I am not taking into account.
December 4, 2013 at 7:12pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Maybe "coordinate" would've been a better word selection than "match" in the case of our fixtures?
December 4, 2013 at 7:13pm   
mkmt4
It's definitely more traditional than contemporary, I would say ...
December 4, 2013 at 7:15pm   
What bathroom related metal do you like best?
December 4, 2013 at 7:20pm   
mkmt4
Oh gosh, Carolyn, that's a good question ... I'm not sure if I have a favorite - I do love anything silver-toned, and some kind of bronze would probably be a close second ... we didn't get to choose the finishes in our home ... I don't necessarily dislike any of the choices, but most of them wouldn't have made my "top five" list ... we did have a designer help us with choosing our paint colors (thankfully, because I was going nowhere fast trying to find the color that I was envisioning for our main floor living area - she found it in five minutes!) ...
December 4, 2013 at 7:31pm   
What color are your doorknobs in the bathroom?
December 4, 2013 at 7:53pm   
mkmt4
I believe they are nickel - anyway, "silver-toned" :) ...
December 5, 2013 at 12:29pm   
Then try to stick with silver toned fixtures.
December 5, 2013 at 12:35pm        Thanked by mkmt4
studio10001
I think if the mirror is working for you in this space, you might consider updating the lighting and/or cab. hardware to make a statement supported by your existing faucets and shower enclosure
[houzz=Carmadillo Bathrooms][houzz=Bath 2]
December 5, 2013 at 5:26pm        Thanked by mkmt4
Barnhart Gallery
December 5, 2013 at 5:36pm        Thanked by mkmt4
studio10001
Proof that there are no new ideas... :))
December 5, 2013 at 5:37pm     
halfpint2
@Barnart Gallary,
Love that bathroom!
December 5, 2013 at 5:58pm     
mkmt4
Neat picture, Barnhart! ... I'm starting to wonder, though, if the mirror is too small to be functional for a bathroom - okay if it's just someone washing their hands, but to use it to get ready might be a different story ... I am nothing if not indecisive! *sigh*
December 5, 2013 at 6:30pm   
Barnhart Gallery
Whatever you decide to do, please include a framed photo of gramps with his favorite horse.
December 5, 2013 at 10:48pm        Thanked by mkmt4
I would remove the antlers. They compete with the mirror for attention.
December 6, 2013 at 5:24am        Thanked by mkmt4
jessegee
Just a thought, leather will rot over time if exposed to moisture, unless you keep it well preserved with saddle soap etc. I haxve memories of carrying out heavy horse harness, the collars, I imagine a place near a back door. Boot room? x
December 6, 2013 at 6:27am        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
WOW, thank you Barnhart, Carolyn, and Jesse! ... great food for thought!!
December 9, 2013 at 12:17pm   
Fan Selection
Good day! I am looking at fan options to put in...
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...
Help with exterior color!!
I need ideas on exterior trim color and garage color??...
Decorating dining room...ideas please!
Need ideas and examples pics of items to finish decorating...