Do I dare allow elk antlers in my house? :D
mkmt4
I can't believe it, but I'm actually considering letting my husband put his elk antlers in our house, and I'm wondering about this wall (9'H x 80"W) ... I don't have measurements on the antlers (they are currently in the garage, haha), but it seems like they would be fairly proportionate to the size of the wall ... I'm thinking maybe a couple little items on the table, not sure what ... as to the location of this hallway - to the right of the photo is our family room and kitchen, and to the left is our front living area and the door leading to the garage ... I took the photo from our stairs going up to the upper level ... I appreciate your input!
mkmt4
Oh, I forgot to mention, there are two versions of antlers - thinking I like the ones with the darker background better ...
December 3, 2013 at 6:56pm   
jabbott2012
One recommendation is to make sure the antlers aren't in a spot where they'll poke anyone's eye since it appears to be a walk thru area.
December 3, 2013 at 7:11pm     
artlady1
Seriously, I actually found a mounted deerhead on a stop sign! Photo attached. It has become a very quirky, fun focal point in our family room! Good luck.
December 3, 2013 at 7:13pm     
artlady1
Deer head on stop sign photo
December 3, 2013 at 7:15pm   
mkmt4
LOL, it is a walk-through area, but I guess I figured they'd be up high enough to avoid that being an issue ... the hallway is 52"W, and the antlers would stick out about 14-15" ... hmmm ...
December 3, 2013 at 7:17pm   
mkmt4
Artlady1 - LOL! ... definitely a conversation piece!
December 3, 2013 at 7:18pm   
mkmt4
I guess my thought process to this is (1) how much it would mean to my husband, and (2) the way it would fill that space - we have a big house to decorate, and not a lot of décor or extra cash right now!
December 3, 2013 at 7:20pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
I don't see why not. I like the darker background one better too.
December 3, 2013 at 7:25pm     
selabela
Would you consider painting the whole thing white? Might help distract from the fact that you have dead animal parts hanging in your hallway....? lol
December 3, 2013 at 7:28pm     
mkmt4
That it would, selabela, but I'm pretty sure my husband wouldn't go for that ... of course, that being said, he should just be thrilled I'm even considering this possibility! :D
December 3, 2013 at 7:34pm   
mainstreetschool
Looking at both your discussions, I think you should be able to incorporate a set of elk antlers with the horse collar mirror on this wall. Just play around with a placement so that they don't compete with each other. Smaller rustic accent pieces on the table would tie it together. Maybe a cowboy hat or two on the wall also.
December 3, 2013 at 7:48pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Oh, wow - wouldn't have thought of that, either! ... I'm not sure if I have the talent to pull that one off, but I'm definitely open to suggestion and willing to experiment!
December 3, 2013 at 7:59pm     
Cindy Quinton
I guess I have a different take than some. I very much see them as mementos from very special life events, rather than dead animal parts. The very first art and tools were based on the hunt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel free to express myself as I wish in my own home, and I think they have inherent beauty. I also try to be generous and remember that it is also my husband's home... :-)

Search antlers for ideas here on Houzz; you'll get a lot of ideas. My preference is to mix up the things like antlers and birch covered candles with more refined items like silver candle sticks, ornate frames, and sleek vases.
December 3, 2013 at 8:19pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thank you for your wonderful and thoughtful post, Cindy! ... LOVE your idea about pairing them with more refined items, that is perfectly in keeping with my goal of a "rustic elegant" look in our home ...
December 3, 2013 at 8:22pm   
abbyjean
I think you have found the perfect wall for the antlers and the table under them works perfectly, also. Maybe find a nice lantern for the table???
December 3, 2013 at 8:26pm        Thanked by mkmt4
reba120
Yuk, sorry.
December 3, 2013 at 8:35pm   
mkmt4
Nice idea, abbyjean, thank you! ... Cindy, I just did a search on 'antlers' and - WOW! (I'm fairly new to Houzz, so wouldn't have thought of doing that as a search) ... now I'm wondering about putting them in our master bath over the bathtub :D ...
December 3, 2013 at 8:51pm     
mkmt4
That's okay, reba, I know they're not for everyone ... in doing a search on 'antlers' per Cindy's suggestion, I found how cool they can look when in the right setting!
December 3, 2013 at 8:55pm   
One of the most unusual design ideas I have seen is antlers lower down with a glass table placed on them. Holes cut through the glass is locked in place
December 4, 2013 at 4:33am        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
ASV, that's a great example of something else that - done properly - could be stunning!
December 4, 2013 at 5:31pm   
mkmt4
So, here's another idea I'm wondering about, thanks to the inspiration you all have been giving me - what about antlers on this wall in the master bath (you know, since we have two already, and the potential for another new set every year, haha)? ... and to go with the granite, I'm thinking that the wood piece they're mounted on could be stained black (or a super-dark brown) - is that a horrible idea, or does it have some merit? ... I wish I had more decorating talent!!
December 4, 2013 at 6:35pm   
I like the idea. Staining the mount dark would work. You should plan on three eventually. I love bathrooms with unusual collections of anything so go for more not less.
December 4, 2013 at 6:50pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Very encouraging, thank you so much, ASV!! :)
December 4, 2013 at 7:11pm     
jen046
Maybe paint a dark rectangle and frame it in with some kind of antiqued-silver-finished molding or frame. Then place the mount in the "frame." Could create a very eclectic, ironic juxtaposition.
December 4, 2013 at 7:15pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thank you, Jen, I think I can picture that, just not sure if I'm that brave - or talented! ;-) ... I'm scared to even hang a picture on my wall, even though I have decided it's the ideal spot for it (yes, I have issues)!
December 4, 2013 at 7:20pm   
smartin1
Animal conservation and herd management is so important, especially if the meat is used to feed people. I love the thought of including them in your design.
December 4, 2013 at 7:34pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thank you, smartin1! ... I never thought I would be considering this, but I have to admit that I changed my mind when our neighbor gave us a tour of their house - they have some antlers nicely displayed in their foyer (of course, their ceiling is probably 20'+ in that area, but still) ... we have a large home and not much décor to work with (our first home), so I guess this is also my way of being resourceful ...
December 4, 2013 at 7:40pm   
okdokegal
Having lived with elk, deer, and pronghorn antlers...

For the hallway; I would recover the mount shield with a really dark velvet or flocking; then get a large and very ornate picture frame; background with the same velvet and some braid around the edge of the shield. http://www.fullywoolyprimitives.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=WoolandVelvetYardage&Sub=113&isThumbs=Yes&Thumbs=200 http://www.alittlecreativespace.com/Velvet_Stamping.html

The bath might be overkill.
December 4, 2013 at 10:37pm      Thanked by mkmt4
Here is a nice photo sample with a set of three antlers with art below. Another nice budget art is the door above the FP.

December 4, 2013 at 11:34pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thank you, Darzy! ... that is a really cool door! ... I think our antlers are much bigger than those displayed, but they do have everything nicely arranged in that photo ...
December 5, 2013 at 12:27pm   
mkmt4
Okedokegal, I probably would've questioned putting antlers in the bathroom, but I saw several photos in the galleries on this site with antlers in bathrooms that actually looked great, thus, my idea :) ...
December 5, 2013 at 12:31pm   
okdokegal
mkmt4
Only issue is the SIZE of the antler rack, an elk rack might just be too big for your bathroom.
December 5, 2013 at 2:52pm        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Okdokegal - gotcha ... the wall I'm considering is 4'W x just a smidge under 5'H ... they would basically be overlooking the tub ... the antlers are currently up in our garage over a refrigerator and freezer, so hard to get a decent measurement on them, but it looks like they would be roughly 3'W x maybe 3-1/2'H? ... do you think they would work okay in that size of a space? ... I say this *sort-of* tongue-in-cheek and also somewhat seriously, I think it would be cool to use them as a towel rack!
December 5, 2013 at 6:40pm   
mkmt4
So, we did some experimentation over the weekend, and I think the antlers are too small for the space in our bathroom (anyway, they just don't look quite right there) ... so far I'm thinking they'll work best in our hallway above that table ... no stud where we need it on that wall, so we need to figure out the best product to use for hanging it ...
December 9, 2013 at 12:21pm   
hotdrysunny
We have a LOT of antlers, both sheds and ones from deer and elk that we have both hunted. I'm working on a display ideas myself, so i feel your pain.

One option you may consider for the elk rack - since they are large and can be kind of difficult to place - is to cut the rack in half and display the two halves horizontally along the tops of doorways or over windows. Depends, of course, whether it's a full-skull mount or just the rack. And (of COURSE!) how your husband feels about cutting the rack in half :-)

Or you could put each half vertically along a decorative mirror. . . .again that's only going to work if it's just the rack and little bit of skull plate at the base.

If it's already mounted on a plaque then your options are more limited.

Personally, I think It's great that you are incorporating the antlers into your decor as it tells the world you are embracing and support your husband's pursuits. Hunters often get a bad rap and as an avid female hunter and conservationist, I think it's really important for ethical hunters to be proud of what they do and share that with the world.

OK, off soapbox now :-)
Please post what you come up with - I'm eager to see what it looks like!
December 16, 2013 at 11:17am        Thanked by mkmt4
mkmt4
Thank you so much, hotdrysunny, I greatly appreciate all your insight and comments! ... the ones we currently have are already mounted, but that's not to say there won't be more to come ;-) ... still haven't committed to a location, but I will definitely post a pic when that time comes ... wishing you the best in your own display ideas!
December 16, 2013 at 7:31pm   
Help with my living room
Hi everyone who can help. This is my third time putting...
Advice for painting a bedroom navy/indigo
I am thinking of painting the master bedroom a dark...
Kitchen backsplash
We are building a beach house and going with a tile...
What to pair (colour wise) with this artwork?
I have this artwork hanging above my couch in our living...
Rug for bedroom
Hi, I have a 10x10 bedroom with wood floors and...