Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leamyelectric

Home Solar and Wind Power

Solar Panels and Micro Wind turbines are reducing home electric bills by up to 60% these days. Providing not only a utility bill reduction but also as back up power from small to large systems. Solar power lighting is now a big thing for home owners as well as solar parking lot lighting, solar attic fans, and solar power parking lot lighting to name a few. How do you fell about installing these systems for your home?
Are you likely to become more energy independent ?
Home Solar and Wind Power
Home Solar

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
    10 years ago
    There is so much to consider when utilizing alternative electrical power sources. We recommend that you discuss the options with as many non-sales persons as possible to make a good decision. Rebates often sell the system however, the actual $$ saved is sometimes distorted by the sales persons. We are unbiased consultants for off grid and grid-tie installations and vender selections.
    Local Solar Installer Pa Leamy Electric Inc thanked Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
  • Jennifer
    10 years ago
    I have researched it myself at the beginning of the year, because we have a brand new home and perfect line of sight for solar panels. The tough thing to swallow is the $30K out of pocket right at the start. I understand that it is almost guaranteed to pay itself back in 10 years, but when I have a kid to put through college in 6 years, I see that $30K being more necessary for her.
    Local Solar Installer Pa Leamy Electric Inc thanked Jennifer
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    From what I've heard, it can be very difficult to get solar power approved. If it was easier and cheaper, I'd love to do it with all the coal power plants that are being shut down.
    Local Solar Installer Pa Leamy Electric Inc thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    Local Solar Installer Pa Leamy Electric Inc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all your responses!! Solar is not expensive, its the installers and the red tape that make it that way. Getting solar approved these days should not be a problem even for HOA's. Most panels today go for about $190.00 each. They can be as large as 250w each. About 17 sq ft of space needed. You should be seeing installation pricing of about $3.00-$4.00/watt right now for a standard system. So from a standard grid tie system rated at 5000w is like 15-$20,000. Again, depending on how and where it is located at your site. A 30% tax credit is also available off the total cost, plus any state rebates as well as your utility savings fro the next 25 years. The systems are all modular so adding on is not a problem if it is set up right from the beginning. Doing that can allow most to build on each year and not all at once. There are many ways to combat the cost and it all starts in your homes first. LED lighting, Motion sensors, Timers things like that can reduce the need for more panels over all.

Wanna know how much solar you need?
    Take you annual kw hrs, say it is 10,000/year or 10kw ( add up all 12 months) it should show it on your electric bill as an annual or avg. number.
    50% solar supplement would be a 5kw or 5000w system
    That's 5000w/250w solar panel=20 panels
    Solar production for your home is based on annual reduction, not daily, monthly or the size of your home but based on your electrical habits-utility dependance. Not only am i an installer but i also have solar and wind systems invested in our home. I can tell you first hand it is well worth it as well as it works very well for my energy reduction. I add a few panels every year along with solar attic fans, a solar pool filter, solar led lighting and 4 micro 1000w wind turbines. I also have a back up battery system and a generator so the lights are always on at my home. My home is 3000 sq ft and we live in the suburbs in a very nice neighborhood. Proving these systems do work in a suburban community. I hope I have educated people just a little more on this topic. Thanks again for the responses and please keep them coming.
  • PRO
    Kipnis Architecture + Planning
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Rear elevation of Glencoe solar LEED Platinum home · More Info

Solar is a great idea at the building scale. There are various state incentives, and the Federal incentives have just been extended. The cost of solar PV panels keeps dropping, increasing demand, which in turn increases production efficiencies which helps keep the price dropping, etc.

They work very well in a wide range of climates. We use them on nearly every project we do here in Chicago. As of 2014, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York are all places you don't associate solar power with, yet they are ranked 3, 6 and 7 respectively.

We like using solar PV and not solar thermal or wind. Solar PV generates electricity which can be used for many different things, including efficiently producing hot water via heat pump technology. Solar thermal, once it makes its hot water for the day, is done and can't produce anything else. The PV panels can produce hot water than then move on to do other tasks.

We are not a fan of small scale wind, as it is very expensive, difficult to permit in residential areas and requires a lot of maintenance. Our opinion is if you want to use wind power, it makes much more sense at the community/regional scale, i.e. large scale wind farms.

We are also very excited about the potential for battery storage systems like Telsa's Powerwall. This will become significantly available in 2018 as Tesla's Gigaplant in Nevada comes on line. This battery storage technology, which will be significantly less expensive then what is currently available, will allow renewable energy to be stored overnight, either from onsite PV panels or charged up using power from wind farms. If 'time of use' power is available in your area, you can use less expensive, renewable energy generated at night to charge the batteries up, and use that power during the day instead of more expensive, carbon intensive power from the grid. On site solar PV panels could supplement power during the day as required.

This is an exciting time for solar, and it will continue to become more affordable and integrated into building and community design!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert