Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_9958630

HELP!!! 1970's home

I bought a 1970's home that hadn't been updated since.. I loved the location and thought "cosmetic" fixes wouldn't be hard. I painted the old dark (oak?) cabinets a "cork-board" color and now I'm just not happy with it! I want them an ivory or bisque color which seems like it'd be easy to go over as they are and give them that "glazed" or "antique" look, but I am not sure how to do it or If I could just go back to a natural wood color ( my fav)?? I don't know what I was thinking?
Galley Kitchen · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Frederick + Frederick Architects
    10 years ago
    I think it would be easier to repaint them than to strip them.
  • rolam1
    10 years ago
    I agree with kadodi. Live with it for a little. The kitchen looks great!!!
  • PRO
    Frederick + Frederick Architects
    10 years ago
    This is not the kitchen that the person was asking about. This is a kitchen we designed.
  • rolam1
    10 years ago
    Sorry, it was attached to question...misunderstood. Lovely kitchen you designed!!!
  • Aimee Herrmann-Guinn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm sorry, I am new to this. I commented on this picture b/c I absolutely love the natural wood look. and it is somewhat similar to the layout of my kitchen. I painted my cabinets a "cork board" color" because it looked great with the countertops I wanted and then I decided against those countertops. Like I said I love the natural look, but I was also wondering if I could paint over them with an "off white" color and make them look kind of antique or rustic? Im just not sure which would be easier or look better. At this point I am just frustrated!!!! I will upload a picture in a moment. Thank you everyone!
  • Aimee Herrmann-Guinn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry it took so long to load pic. This is the color I painted my dark oak cabinets. I liked it at first because it matched my countertops I was going to use perfectly but have since decided to do different countertops. I also have a small galley kitchen I plan I open up one side that over looks the living area. I really love the "natural" cabinet color but probably too much work now. I have been thinking a cream color? What is best and easiest way to do this? How hard is it to give them a glazed or antique look?
    Thanks again!
  • mommahud8
    10 years ago
    Aimee- I'm new to this too! Just want to say I think you did a great job painting your cabinets. Why don't you have a local designer (from a kitchen design place or tile place) come out and give you some countertop help with colors, etc before you redo all the cabinets. Some contrast might be nice. I've also checked with neighbors who have done some updates for their input and referrals. Good luck!