Help with a kitchen issue that arose from a budget cut
judithaltman
We recently completed construction of a second home in the NC mountains. I was strictly committed to keeping within the original budget we set. In the end the kitchen was over budget and I had to make last minute cuts. One was to remove a high cabinet over the beautiful hammered copper farm sink. The electrician didn't get the message and left the electrical hook up for the under-cabinet light. Now, I have a strange blank wall and an electrical hook-up. I need lighting over the sink but can't figure out what or how to do this. The style of the house is 'modern rustic'. Any ideas of what to do here for a reasonable price? The kitchen, dining and living room are open plan so I included a few extras so you can see the overall look, although we are not quite fully moved in yet. Thanks!!!
chaniewk
A few thoughts -
If you don't need the lighting, and just want to cover up the hookup, then you can hang a painting over it.
Otherwise, I would go for an open shelf, same color as the cabinets, that runs between the two cabinets. It would add the same horizontal element that you have with the hood over the stovetop. You could put lighting under the shelf, and artistic objects on too - either copper ( to pull together with the sink), glass, (to lighten it up), or stone/ ceramic ( to pull together with the fireplace on the other side of the room).
If you don't need the lighting, you could also place the shelf just under the hookup, and then it wouldn't be visible.
6 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 2:13AM
kitasei
This may sound crazy but I envision a beautiful framed MIRROR filling the space, giving you something to look at and laugh at (along with seeing the activity going on behind you) as you do the dishes, and reflecting light. I also can imagine a wonderful painting/mural done in perfect perspective, depicting either a long view of a landscape or perhaps another interior view - an extension of a rustic kitchen? Your house has an irreverent but elegant style that is great, so I'd push it further!
2 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 2:17AM
kitasei
The outlet could be very useful - how about a small tv?
1 Like   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 2:19AM
judithaltman
Great ideas, but I definitely need lighting. It is a somewhat dark area. Any fixture ideas? Wall mounted? I am definitely open...
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 2:43AM
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
I'm a bit confused--how much money could that one cabinet have cost compared to the cost of the entire kitchen and house? Oh well, I'd add a bridge piece between the 2 cabinets and put recessed lighting in it to illuminate the sink area. You are going to spend a lot of time there, and it should be as comfortable and look as nice as possible. The cabinet company probably has a piece designed just for that purpose.
The rest of the home looks gorgeous!
9 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 3:20AM
spenserh
Diana, that is what I wondered too! Beautiful home!
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 4:28AM
indianpatti
Gorgeous home .. congratulations!

I would save my money and add the cabinet.
5 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 4:38AM
ANGEL ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES - Electrical
I would like to suggest, A combination attributes! Start with a shelf ,potentially even to the bottom of the cabinets. The shelf depth should be minimal to not intrude on the work space of the sink. 5" deep. Then under the shelf include a sleek Led Tape light strip. This will double as task and ascent light. Then above decide if an ensemble of pieces is appropriate or if a minimalistic display is most appropriate? The Tv Idea is great because with a Tv, you gain a lot of various opportunities for display. Ex: Slide show for various personal pics or just be entertained by your favorite web Page. Finally a nice pic could easily add to the character you wish to maintain with the space. Good Day to All !
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 4:45AM
bellesum
It's a natural spot for a plate rack.

1 Like   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 5:44AM
apple_pie_order
What height is the electrical connection? If it is nose height, use a shelf with undermount lights. If it is over your head, use a wall sconce from the same line as your island pendants or the chandelier. Or choose another wall sconce with the same dark finish. Eventually, when you have the budget, have a mirror custom cut to go under the lamp fitting.
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 6:43AM
Micki
Nice kitchen!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 6:48AM
smileyface2013
You have a beautiful house and kitchen. I really think you ought to just "suck it up" or "bite the bullet" and buy the cabinet. Anything else you do will cost money, so why not just get the cabinet?

Two lesser than ideal alternatives, which will require money to accomplish, are shown in photos below. With the shelf, you could put a small lamp on it.

A.S.D. Interiors kitchen remodel

Sask Cres Kitchen
3 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 6:59AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I like the shelf idea in line with the cabinets but I think you will find having less than 60 inches of clearance above the sink will feel cramped. What about a valance with lights tucked in? However, the cost of retrofitting this type of thing will be equal to the original cabinet that was deleted from the order.
.
A simple bar light positioned 2/3's up the wall cabinet would be another option but you need to be careful that it does not look too much like a bathroom fixture. Then you have the electrical box killed, patch the sheet rock and paint.
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:06AM
How much is a cabinet? You could put a mosaic mural there. Just remove light socket . Or get a picture (go on line) of a window pane with a view, or get a antique window pane and hang there the light sockets is a easy fix.
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:08AM
Beautiful sink.
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:09AM
Or you could put same stone as fireplace in that space and carry above cabinets also. You have a beautiful home. Why are you skimpy on kitchen.? A poor choice to not do something great in kitchen also. Maybe you could hang a pendant light instead.
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:12AM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
For a client - I put in a shelf between the cabinets, used recycled wood planks above and hung a lit large patina letter. Gives off light and has so much character. It would fit in perfect with your beautiful space and complement the copper apron front sink below, awesome!
If budget is a huge issue just hang the letter on the wall, no shelf.
Below are a few other options to choose from that are unique and different.
4 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:14AM
judithaltman
Thank you everyone for your comments! If you have ever built a house and stayed on budget then you know that you make many, many small compromises along the way. The kitchen was over budget and to get it back on budget I cut a whole slew of small items which added up to the total I needed. The cabinet was just one of many. I have more storage in this kitchen than I could ever use (it is a second home) so I figured why not take out a cabinet as a part of the savings? At the time, it made sense. But now I am not at all happy with the decision. I like the idea of a shelf with the under-light. Also, I really like the fixture from Kelli Kaufer Designs with the Edison bulb. Thanks for all your energy and creativity!
2 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 7:31AM
Marilyn Wilkie
Bite the bullet....buy the cabinet.
2 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:35AM
kitasei
I understand and admire your ability to make those hard decisions, and I think it forces you to to a creativity that yields a far more interesting outcome! At the risk of repeating myself, you have space and an outlet that let you do something far more useful and interesting than adding storage.. (btw just try the mirror to see if it reflects enough light that you don't even need to add one!)
1 Like   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:43AM
Shakúff
I too, like the idea of the shelf with the under light. It also gives you a place to decorate, like in the photo smileyface2013 posted. :)
You have a beautiful home!!
1 Like   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 7:49AM
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Love the mirror idea and an edison bulb or two hanging over it....
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 4, 2013 at 8:02AM
Glass Tile Store
A small cabinet then recessed lighting perhaps
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 12, 2013 at 10:01AM
sivfino
Shelves
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 12, 2013 at 8:34PM
AJD Builders LLC
You may want to consider a funky low voltage light. TECH makes a wall mount that has a variety of shade options. You can add color with the shade and visual interest to the space. Form and function. To take it a step further and make the design more cohesive you can get two door panels, or make your own frame that goes flat on the wall to connect the cabinets, this could also allow for two light fixtures evenly spaced. Think outside the box. Different doesn't have to be costly. Be creative.
0 Likes   Thanked by judithaltman    December 12, 2013 at 8:45PM
AJD Builders LLC
The mirror idea is solid. it reflects light and gives you a feeling of space when at the sink. Gives you a view of the action when you are at the sink and your guests are behind you.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 8:48PM
grobby
Have someone get you that cabinet for Christmas and finish out your kitchen.
1 Like   December 12, 2013 at 9:07PM
Barnhart Gallery
I love this picture light from RH -- http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1619200&categoryId=cat1701019

You could use one to light both an art piece and the sink area:
1 Like   December 12, 2013 at 9:18PM
Design With Distinction, LLC
You could add two shelves that span the space cabinet to cabinet. Install puck lighting (2) underneath the bottom of the lower shelf. That will light up your sink area. Your electrician can hard wire the lighting into the outlet. The shelf will hide the outlet. Put some cool "regional" accessories on the shelves. The photo that I'm adding has a different configuration/space but will give you an idea.
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 9:49PM
Odd kitchen issues- low budget
There is a gap between top cabinets, wine rack won't...
Range / ventilation issue in kitchen design, help!
We're currently in the design phases of our kitchen...
help kitchen floor issues
Help please, our den has laminate flooring in a light...
Please help with my kitchen...several issues. All suggestions and idea
Hello, We have cherry cabinets in our home. The cabinets...
Need help with kitchen layout! Bottleneck/traffic flow issue
We built a new home 3 years ago from blueprints and...
bathroom lights
can you give me the size of the lights and where I...
Ideas please.... We have NO room for a table
We are re-furbishing our farm house. We plan a 33...
buying this 1960 ranch to fix up and sell.
Don't think it's been renovated since the owners bought...
How to add a roof to existing deck?
I havea huge deck and would like to add a roof in front...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...