Need help choosing paint color
Laurie
I just had both my front and back doors replaced and I need ideas for paint color for them.
The trim will be painted white (soon I hope-I've been trying for a year to get it done!) and I want something bright that will pop, but not over power the house. The trouble is I have 1966 orangish brick. I thought something in the turquoise family would work and also be historically accurate. I don't like the original turquoise I painted the old door after we moved in last year though.
What ideas do you have? I prefer Behr paint but can also get Valspar.
Winter is hitting us this week so I don't know when I will be able to paint but I would like to get the color chosen so the first warm day in the future I can paint. :)

First photo is new door. I love it!
Second photo is old color on old back door. Not a fan of the color any more.
Linda M. White, Architectural D E S I G N E R
This is a fabulous door style! It deserves a color that says WOW! I vote for a very rich turquoise, like Behr's Deep Blue Sea, #540-D7.
December 4, 2013 at 7:28AM     
Brenda
that is a beautiful door. it elevates the style of your entire house -- love it!

this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but if it were my house I would paint it either a high gloss white or soft grey.
December 4, 2013 at 7:34AM     
Rina
Green? I like the idea of a light blue-grey best, but in case you want more surprise, this is a possibility.
December 4, 2013 at 8:29AM     
Tonya Keele
I would prolly do Navy in satin or a creamy cream
December 4, 2013 at 8:30AM     
Stacey at Dohiy.com
Richer, greener turquoise would be fantastic, but I also like the leafy green that Rina suggested. Love the door!
December 4, 2013 at 8:42AM     
yoboseiyo
do a turquoise a few shades darker than the one that was on the doors before.
i think that one was too light, so it washed out.

and paint your support columns too! maybe not the turquoise. maybe a high gloss black.
that would be pretty.
December 4, 2013 at 8:43AM     
Paris Flea
Love the door. Anytime you have a home that can be restored to a historic beauty,you should!!!! stick with the turquoise and DONT go tooo green. there is a difference between historically great and just a green door. best of luck to you on your project!
December 4, 2013 at 8:48AM      Thanked by Laurie
Dar Eckert
Your home would look so nice with charcoal color trim. It would sizzle with the orange brick. Then do a midrange blue for the door.
December 4, 2013 at 8:54AM     
Dar Eckert
December 4, 2013 at 9:00AM     
Laurie
The door was a very dark blue when we bought the house and it looked terrible.
I had thought about orange, but with all that orangey brick decided it was a bad choice.

I found Sea Frolic 4008-10A by Valspar. I like the bright turquoise.

Trim is getting painted white. I already have the paint.

I'm adding a photo of the old front door door with the old turquoise color. This was taken just after we moved in and the yard was still a huge mess. The house had been updated inside and looked abandoned on the outside. $5K later and I have a nicer yard now. Still a long way to go though.
December 4, 2013 at 12:32PM   
Brenda
for me, the turquoise is too 50's "kitsch". you have such a beautiful new modern door -- I would pick a color that takes your house in more of a modern/sophisticated direction.
December 4, 2013 at 12:41PM     
mmilos
Great job choosing the new door! I like how it echoes the 3 square detail of your porch posts.

I would find a paint chip that matches the light blue-gray of your trim, and then go 2-4 shades darker for your door.
December 4, 2013 at 12:56PM     
Laurie
I am painting the trim white. The ugly color on the house does not go with it at all. I have the paint and just need to get out there and prepare the house for painting before I tackle the painting. There is a lot of prep work on this house which is why I haven't started on it yet. It will be a BIG job for one person to do.
December 4, 2013 at 1:13PM   
Rina
Hi Laurie. I know it's winter where you are, but I thought you might like a foretaste of spring. Also, a much more restrained and conservative colour for the door? And maybe a show-off house number? Not sure about that, but I popped it there anyway. Right, on with my day now.
December 4, 2013 at 11:36PM        Thanked by Laurie
Brenda
I like Rina's rusty-red door.
December 5, 2013 at 3:37AM   
Laurie
I actually have been considering a rusty red color. It's called Spice and is a Behr color. I'm heading out to get color samples before a winter storm hits later today.
December 5, 2013 at 6:34AM     
houssaon
You have a lot of options, red, green and blue all look good.
December 5, 2013 at 6:49AM     
Laurie
I went to HD this morning and grabbed a fist full of brochures and samples. I have a brick left over from construction (what are the odds that you would find an almost 50 year old brick in your back yard that matched the house?) and I am going to sit and compare colors to it as the winter storm blows outside. :) I'll post photos of what I have narrowed it down to.
I have also found 1960's exterior paint color samples on line to refer too. :)
December 5, 2013 at 9:54AM     
Rina
Good luck on the hunt.
December 5, 2013 at 10:18AM     
Laurie
What a week this has been! After the lovely ice storm we had it is finally starting to get nice again. The ice is still melting but the sun is out and the temps are slowly climbing.

I narrowed down my samples and then narrowed them down again. I then taped them to the house and narrowed them down more.

I am posting photos of when I started to tape them to the house and down to what I have left. The white sample is my trim color. I really like the really bright blue and the sea-foam green above it, near the white sample.
December 12, 2013 at 10:36AM     
Laurie
I also like the robins egg blue color but was thinking it was too similar to the old color. A side by side comparison proves they are quite different.
December 12, 2013 at 10:51AM   
victorianbungalowranch
Love the new door and I think something in the aqua/turquoise family could work. The previous color was perhaps a bit saturated, and something greyed down a bit might be more to your liking. The blue you like will be very bright--and very close to cyan blue--which can look too straight out of the can, and tends to be streaky as well because it is a pure color used to mix other colors. The seafoam or robin's egg would be somewhat better. All the other colors in your house are rather muddy, and adding such pure colors might not look quite right.

A charcoal grey could look very nice on the door too (darker version of what you have now--primer?) I like Rina's color and design suggestions too, and I would even consider doing a two-tone scheme for the door and the rectangles on the porch, which would be very period--maybe dark with light (medium) trim around the windows on the door and the reverse on the porch supports. I would keep the contrast low though if I did that, just enough to give a sense of depth.

It would also be possible to paint the porch roof, or even the entire soffit another color for a subtle accent. It will tint the reflected light into the house, so butter/orange yellow tones are sometimes used on soffits, although other colors can work too. Light robin's egg blue is a traditional color for porch ceilings actually.

The mauve grey tones of the roof and the orangey tones of the brick are fighting a little bit I think, although they both have pinky undertones, If you ever reroof, a light or medium grey would be a better choice, and lighter roofs keep the inside cooler in the summer. Charcoal grey can be a good mediator between colors. But it is a bit dull all by itself and needs some sort of color accent or contrast to bring it to life. I would definately stay away from the grey/sage greens, but the purplely/burgundy dark colors might work as well.

Primer doesn't last long exposed to the elements. Check the surface and directions--you might need to prime again.

BTW, I hope you keep the original windows and the horizontal muntins. That is a real period detail and they are disappearing. Are they metal? Interior storms can be a more cost-effective solution than replacement and there are do-it-yourself videos and kits out there.
December 12, 2013 at 11:43AM      Thanked by Laurie
alannah
what about black to ground the door
December 12, 2013 at 11:47AM   
Laurie
I had chosen a charcoal grey and tossed it. It just doesn't look right with the brick. It looked really bad in fact.

The blue/grey paint on the trim is what the previous owners painted. I need to scrape and repair then paint the white color I chose. The door is the color it came in - Primed and ready to paint or leave as is, according to the directions that came with the door.

The windows are original. Many are really hard to close and need to be repaired or replaced. I think I can get authentic replacements. I would like to keep as many of the original details of my house as I can, especially since I live in my city's Historic District.

Here is a full front shot of the house I took today.
December 12, 2013 at 11:52AM     
Laurie
Black is too dark. I want the door to be bright and pop. :)
December 12, 2013 at 11:53AM   
victorianbungalowranch
Thanks for the full photo. It is a nicely balanced and tidy façade and I think the right color and some more landscaping would really help. Maybe repeating the rectangle theme on the chain link fence would be nice. I used zip ties and pieces of square plastic lattice (not the diagonal stuff) on my chain link and you wouldn't believe how much better it looks.

If you post pics of the windows and whether they are wood or metal, I can post some good window repair links. It is time-consuming esp. for a newbie, but well worth it, and isn't expensive if you do your own work a little at a time. I'm on the 5-year plan with mine!

RetroRenovation has some window stuff on it and is a great site for all kinds of information about MCM homes. Other sites are better for window repair specifics.

Incidentially, what are the other houses in your neighborhood like?
December 12, 2013 at 12:23PM   
bac6
how a color looks on a little paint chip and how it will appear on your door can be very different so sample the colors right on the door. And how they appear here on your monitor is not accurate, but take a look at these Valspar colors; they are all grayed off versions of aqua with varying weights:
December 12, 2013 at 12:40PM     
Laurie
My windows are aluminum.

I am planning on more shrubs and landscaping but water restrictions are making that difficult. We had a hot (100*), dry summer last year. Not much I could do successfully. The house looked abandoned when we bought it. The only foundational plantings were the two crape myrtles and ground cover vines that were 24 inches deep, with an occasional yucca thrown in. It was really bad! My neighbors are still thanking me for all the work I did last summer. :)

The fence you can see in the photo is my neighbor's. I plan to landscape along it when I can.

My neighborhood is rather eclectic. There is a Victorian farm house (farm too) just down the street from me. It is the oldest single family owned farm in the county. It's been in the same family since the mid-1800's. There are houses from the 1920's to brand new all over the place. Thankfully the builders try to blend the new into the existing architecture so they don't stand out like sore thumbs. Most homes are from the 1930's and 40's with a few mid-century homes thrown in. I like the area. There is a large park across the street from me (that is built on what was the city dump in 1900) and the city hospital that was built in 1924 has been turned into a private school is also across the street on the other corner.
December 12, 2013 at 12:44PM     
rredpenn
Are you going to paint the posts with the squares as well? I like the Linden/grayed down turquoise Bac6 suggested. I grew up in a neighborhood of 60's brick ranchers. They are so cool!

FYI, those primed, paint-ready doors have a time period after which the paint stops sticking. We waited too long on ours, and had to etch the whole thing with some rather unpleasant product. Get some coat of paint on there soon. You can always change it later.
December 12, 2013 at 1:33PM     
victorianbungalowranch
Sounds like a nice place to live, minus the temps. I actually like yucca, and they do grow back if you cut them down. Very, very hardy. or maybe some different grasses and succulents that don't require much water supplantented with some potted plants you can put on the porch if it gets too hot. It doesn't take long for a yard to look abandoned under less than ideal weather conditions.

Aluminum can be hard to fix. Wood is much easier! But if the metal is still in good shape, the biggest problems are accumulated dirt and worn caulk, weatherstripping and glazing putty, and dents and holes can be filled in with aluminum filler. BTW, the easiest to find glazing putty, DAP, is considered worthless by professionals. Also be sure to not caulk the weep holes in the bottom of the frame. Interior storms and heat reflective films may be a good idea. Aluminum awnings were popular and the exact same styles are still available and are not that expensive. I rather like the louvered ones for a not so heavy look: http://www.generalawnings.com/aluminum-awnings-c-65/vista-window-awning-p-281

Here are some window links:
http://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/tech-notes/Tech-Notes-Windows22.pdf

Good link for finding specialty hardware: http://www.diyforums.net/big-problem-with-little-parts-for-aluminum-windows-5136124.html

You need to be careful with the glazing putty. Steam can help loosen it. Then get the right putty-don't use caulk around the glass--it won't last. I have heard that Sarco is a good brand, and it has a special kind for metal windows: http://www.smithrestorationsash.com/glazingputty.htm l
December 12, 2013 at 2:52PM        Thanked by Laurie
Laurie
All the wood trim on the house is getting painted white. The color sample is my pictures.

I am wondering if the bright darker blue will be too bright for the house.....

I have a very shady front yard so plants that work in this area are hard to find. I do have some potted plants on the porch in the summer. The ice storm we just had have things looking kind of grim right now.
December 12, 2013 at 3:06PM   
Laurie
Hmmm... maybe that blue will work after all.

December 12, 2013 at 3:09PM     
mickisue
I have no suggestions about the paint color, now that you've abandoned the rusty red--that was my choice. ;). But I do have a suggestion for your yard. Xeriscaping can be really beautiful, and significantly lessens or eliminates the need for watering. Of course, baby plants need water, no matter their species. But I've even resorted to using the dehumidifier water from the basement, when watering bans were in effect.
December 12, 2013 at 3:16PM     
juliab51
Really love your new door! There are a lot of brick houses the same color as yours in my neighborhood. I can tell you from observation that charcoal and dark olive trim look great on a couple, and that mustard, hunter and seafoam green are to be avoided.
December 12, 2013 at 3:25PM        Thanked by Laurie
dstemple1956
As usual, I vote for red. I too have the orangy textured brick and finally settled on a Glidden color called Red Delicious. It dries to a rich, deep color and the paint expert recommended a gloss enamel since it was going on a metal door. Much success in the revisions you plan for your home!
December 12, 2013 at 5:06PM     
auntiebuzzybee
I was relieved to figure out you replaced with THIS cool door...I was thinking,"OH NO!!!!"...then I realized it's the original looking one and I LOVE THAT DOOR! It's wonderful! Where did you find it? I also liked the spicey or rusty red colour (and the sandy colours in the brick in the photo you posted above- the Queen's Street photo). I couldn't find wherebouts are you located? Sounds like Texas!

Congrats on your very cool house!
December 12, 2013 at 5:23PM        Thanked by Laurie
Laurie
I bought my door at Lowe's. Home Depot sells a similar one, but it is twice as much.

Yes, I am in Texas. North Texas to be exact.
December 12, 2013 at 6:08PM     
Laurie
Here is a link for the door. I don't know if it is on the Lowe's site. It is kind of new for them. http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry/steel-entry-doors/pls/index.aspx#/dso:door-ari_3-lite-2cl/go:dl/cfg:sd/
December 12, 2013 at 7:54PM   
auntiebuzzybee
I just really love it. I MAY need that door someday! (Mine are wood and jalousie) I've had a carpenter rebuild the door... I struggle with keeping my 1952/53 home original. Sometimes I get so tempted to change my windows but they are ALL original and working and huge. They are also aluminum and jalousie like what you see in Hawaii. I know they are not the most energy efficient but I would never see the return on the investment in my utility bill. My windows are nearly extinct in this area so I'm a bit unique in either a really good way or not! My BIGGEST concern is worrying I would mess it up when I should have left well enough alone!

Yours look like the bigger awning type windows which as you know are available. Please let me know if you ever change yours. I still don't have the nerve! ( I don't see any I like close up. They look so cheap to be so expensive)

These folks are so talented on here. You are in a good place for super great advise. I love to see what they do. Good luck and happy planning for the spring!
December 12, 2013 at 8:38PM   
Sara Palacios Designs and Custom Furniture
Laurie, the door is very beautiful. I think the color should be the blue from the Queen Street East Exterior, it is bright and stands out from all the brick.
December 12, 2013 at 8:48PM     
auntiebuzzybee
Rredpen struck a memory note with me...seems if I recall, these doors have to be painted within time FOR THE WARRANTY too ( I think I remember being told that)

Oh and I love the house numbers that were suggested. Check out Rejuvination.com for age appropriate numbers. It's a neat website.
December 12, 2013 at 9:01PM     
jessicalamae
lemon yellow
December 12, 2013 at 9:06PM   
Laurie - I love your house. It is amazeballs atomic ranch. I think I get what you want and yet, I'm the one saying .. . . . not white trimmm,, nooooooo . . . not against terracotta brick and a blue-green copper patina preference door . . . so here's my suggestion which you can of course discard.

For all your trim and aluminum and fascia and eave, with the old earth tone roof, this is where I suggest a green gray - like http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/greyhound
This one is light enough that the orange will hold its own but the undertone that is sort of sage will come thru and echo all the sweet things you will put in the garden (kangaroo paw!!!) come thaw . . .
i would try a sunset color on the door - like http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/richchestnut
but if you want a blue-green - the orange will deal best with something on the green side - try this soft gorgeous one http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/azores

you can test samples and see what you get. . . the straight blue grays probably didn't work well against the strong orange / terrracotta tones of the brick, this one should harmonize . . .but of course, it is your house and white and blue might be fun - you don't want a denver chargers uniform look tho so at least test the green-blue-greens in these muted shades . . . you may get a happy surprise. . . (ps i have a terracotta roof so i have a little practice with these tones).
December 12, 2013 at 9:21PM     
qoais
How about a total contrast - Purple!
December 12, 2013 at 9:55PM     
auntiebuzzybee
libradesigneye nails it again! Bring it on home!
December 12, 2013 at 10:37PM     
Laurie
The house was originally painted white.

I was talking to my mom and she told me white would have been a common and popular color during the 1960's. Since I have the white paint already I need to stick with that.

My roof is brown. A very true brown. Photos and monitors to funny things to paint colors. :)

I had a grey/green/blue shade in my samples. I will look at it again with the brick.
December 13, 2013 at 6:42AM     
If you definitely want light trim, you can colorize your white paint for less down to a creamy off-white (which in an outdoor shade turns out to be like a light tan color) and then you get into undertones which suffice to say you just want to avoid the pinky beiges and head for something in the almond tone arena. . maybe in the direction of sw softer tan - much less expensive to buy a darker shade of this strip and mix it into all your white paint which will work . . . . if you or your pro is using a five gallon bucket . .. easy peasy with a quart of basket beige . . but the same thing could be done with a gallon of a deeper green gray where you would need bm rainy afternoon . ..
December 13, 2013 at 7:10AM     
Laurie
My white isn't a real white white. It has a cream base to it. It is called Snow White, but the sample isn't white like snow. I guess I could open a can and put some on a piece of wood...

Here is what I have as choices now. (Cloudy day here with rain threatening.) And just for the heck of it what the house looked like before we moved in - it was inspection day. We moved in a month later. I have put a book together of my transformation of the yard. It went from an over grown jungle to a nicely cared for yard. Lots of back breaking work and still tons more to be done.
December 13, 2013 at 7:21AM     
victorianbungalowranch
The blue on your paint chip is a totally different color with a lot more yellow in it than the Queen Anne Exterior, and the bricks appear to be a different more orange color as well. That said, colbalt blue might work....

White has been a popular color for a long time, back to the days of whitewash, and especially since it could be picked up pretty cheaply right off the shelf. From what I have read, the bright whites started to come onto the market in the 20's, and by WWII were nearly ubiquitous, and "updated" many a Craftsman and Victorian that seemed horribly out of date in the post-war period. Still, since the paints were oil based, they tended to have a bit of a yellow tone, especially as they aged. Latex has shifted white to even a brighter tone.

I agree that a bit of tone mixed into the white would help soften the color and would blend in better with the roof and bricks, and would still read as "white." There are dozens of softer whites out there that the store could mix for you if you haven't opened the can yet, or even if you have but haven't used much.

I have had great success mixing my own colors to use the cheap paint and paint samples and to get exactly the color I want, but it is best to mix more than enough to do the job, and to paint an index card of the color in case you need to match it someday. I've also had luck scrubbing and chiseling out a sample of paint in a pinch (just need size of a quarter or so) and matching for touchups to avoid painting the entire room. I have 50-year old Benjamin Moore on many of my walls that looks as good as new.

Exterior colors are so hard because the light and surrounding colors really changes how they look.

It is true that most pre-primed doors require paint to maintain the warrantee, but people don't read the fine print. That is why you see a lot of white doors with yellowy trim around the windows--they were never properly painted and the plastic trim ages and gets brittle with time.
December 13, 2013 at 7:45AM     
victorianbungalowranch
My vote is for the far right blue green, and maybe even a bit brighter than that since your door is in shade. To me your white is a bit on the pinky side.
December 13, 2013 at 7:49AM     
Dar Eckert
The second swatch from the top looks like my favorite kind of khaki color.
December 13, 2013 at 8:15AM   
Laurie
I painted the stir stick and when it stops raining I will take pictures again. I ran some errands and really looked for my brick color to see what trim was with it and how it looked. Anything is the yellow family is out. White looks nice. Not too many houses with my brick.

I did see a mint green house (wood siding) with pastel pink windows. Nothing like painting your house to look like an Easter Egg!
December 13, 2013 at 12:31PM     
Wendy
Blue, Blue, Blue.! ; )
December 14, 2013 at 8:59PM     
chookchook2
Wendy, if you are blue it may be seasonal affective disorder, or you may be an ancient Scottish warrior. Do you have any swords and spears lying about, that could be a clue. Cocktail sticks don't count.
December 14, 2013 at 9:06PM     
chookchook2
When choosing paint, I paint large A3 card. Never go by a small sample.
December 14, 2013 at 9:08PM   
Laurie
I think I want to go with the blueish color. It's a Martha Stewart color called arrowroot 123. There is a lighter version of it called milk pail 122 that I may go with. It's supposed to be 67* on Wednesday! I can paint then. :) I'm going to have the color mixed in Behr paint. I can't stand Glidden paint.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glidden-DUO-8-oz-MSL123-Martha-Stewart-Living-Arrowroot-Interior-Paint-Sample-GLD-MSL123/203448200#.Uq26KGRDtvk
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glidden-DUO-8-oz-MSL122-Martha-Stewart-Living-Milk-Pail-Interior-Paint-Sample-GLD-MSL122/203448199#
December 15, 2013 at 6:17AM     
Laurie
This Behr paint is the same color as the MS paint arrowroot. http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/QE-44

I found this one too. http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/QE-43

Thoughts?

I think lighter may be the way to go.
December 15, 2013 at 6:26AM   
Laurie
December 15, 2013 at 6:35AM     
Dar Eckert
some color options
December 15, 2013 at 8:26AM   
Dar Eckert
One more
December 15, 2013 at 8:27AM     
priscillawernick
I like the idea of a soft shade of teal as suggested by bac 6. What would really set off the beauty of your home is some landscaping, a black wrought iron window box filled with greenery and a burst of floral color under the window on the right, and a welcoming path leading to the front door. Expensive, but worth considering as a future project. Your beautiful front door adds character and visual interest!
December 15, 2013 at 9:45AM   
Laurie
I am working on landscaping. The bushes in the front will grow to be 3 ft tall and fill out the space nicely. This area of Texas I live in kind of has its own zone and it is hard to find shrubs that will work in my soil and the shade. I do have plans for a bed staring at the curb and going to the house. I've spent over $5,000 on my yard so far and I need to recover from that before I do more.

I think I am going to go with the color Water Surface. I"m going to get a sample tomorrow.
December 15, 2013 at 10:23AM     
deborahjarman
Have you considered purples? A deep plum color or eggplant would really pop with the orange brick and brown roof.
December 15, 2013 at 11:34AM     
priscillawernick
Laurie, You are so wise in your long-term, step--by-step planning! All of us want our homes to become our personal visions of beauty ASAP, but common sense tells us to move slowly and hopefully create a debt-free life. We are all so excited for you!!!!
December 15, 2013 at 12:23PM        Thanked by Laurie
auntiebuzzybee
@deborahjarman might have something there with the eggplant idea. I looked at BM eggplant and it looks nice.

Just to understand here, are you retinting the "Snow White" paint that you have or are you against that idea? And, are you looking at changing the surface of your porch in any way like paint or stain or anything that would influence your door color or trim?
December 15, 2013 at 1:38PM     
deborahjarman
Thanks bsellers. I have a copper focal wall in my living room with eggplant in the adjacent library. Swiss coffee (creamy white) for trim and wainscoat. Get many compliments on the color combo. My two favorite flower arrangements in the summer are purple delphiniums with orange tiger lily and purple hydrangeas with orange roses.
December 15, 2013 at 1:43PM     
Laurie
I am not a purple fan, but I did try a few dark purples and did not like them.

I will be painting all the trim and the porch posts the same color.

I may tint the white so it is more like the Antique Linen color I linked above. I need to go and get samples tomorrow.
December 15, 2013 at 2:23PM     
qoais
When I said purple, it was because the grout looks almost a grayish purple, so I thought a purple door would bring that up.
December 15, 2013 at 3:06PM     
mickisue
Laurie, I like that linen color for the trim. It will offset the orangey brick, and still read white from a distance, but not be so stark from close up.
December 15, 2013 at 7:31PM     
barnandbungalow
What would you like to say?

Since your roof is brown, how would you feel about painting the brick light beige and painting your door orange?! I think brown/beige, white and orange are a rich looking combo.

Good luck...and I love your door!

barnandbungalow.com
December 15, 2013 at 7:56PM     
Laurie
I was told to never paint the brick. It traps the moisture in the brick and will cause it to crumble over time.

The photo of the orange door is what inspired me to find the door I have. :)
December 16, 2013 at 6:23AM     
Wendy
chookchook *LoL* As a matter of fact I do have swords right beside my old antique oak office desk. Does a coat of arms count??
December 16, 2013 at 6:36AM     
chookchook2
Yes, does your bath water turn blue after you use it?
December 16, 2013 at 6:55AM     
chookchook2
House painter didn't put the brush down when Mel opened the front door:-
http://thehande.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/facepaint.png
December 16, 2013 at 7:03AM     
glad you've explored with some samples - every latitude shifts the light. You can stain masonry with no ill effect but that is not what you are considering here - back soon.
December 16, 2013 at 7:27AM     
chookchook2
Have a navy front door, but then send the painter away and tell him never to darken your door again....
December 16, 2013 at 10:18AM   
Wendy
chookchook2, not as yet! but does shampooing with Light Shade Shampoo (navy blue/violet in color) count when it drips down the drain all violet blue?? (special shampoo to keep the brassiness away) Hubby says shampoo doesn't work cause I'm still as brassy as ever! *LOL*
December 16, 2013 at 11:27AM     
chookchook2
I'm sure he said sexy. You just had foam in your ears, Wendy. Now Houzz will hold this back for censoring....
December 16, 2013 at 11:31AM     
Laurie
I bought the door paint. I went with the color Water Surface. I got trim color samples to look at tomorrow in the daylight.

Next question...Should I paint the trim around the windows the same color as the door or as the trim?
December 16, 2013 at 3:55PM     
mefor
Paint it the same as the rest of the trim.
December 17, 2013 at 9:29AM     
Laurie
I love the color I chose. :) I still need to paint up close to the glass-didn't have time over lunch today. I really need to get the trim done. It looks even worse now than it did before.
Samples for trim are in last photo. I think I need to get my better camera out to photo them though.
December 17, 2013 at 12:25PM     
bygeorgi
So pretty, I would add a punch of deeper teal some where, trim and posts... Behr PPU12-7 spring stream is a really pretty period correct color.
December 17, 2013 at 12:58PM     
bygeorgi
Like this...Gosh It's cute.
December 17, 2013 at 1:11PM     
Roundtree Landscaping, Inc
Love the pop of color on the door! We love doing this with our clients that have brick homes. Maybe paint a few patio chairs to match and add a little pottery? Like we did with the client photo attached. It's a simple inexpensive way to refresh. There is a lot of landscaping that can still be done with water restrictions - it's all about the right plants in the right place. Just be careful not to plant things that get large close to the front door - it will actually make the house look smaller. Plant smaller foundation shrubs (Dwarf Abelia 'Kaleidoscope' is a great tough drought tolerant option) near the entrance and then bring your larger shrubs or accent plants out to the edges of the house.
December 17, 2013 at 2:52PM     
Laurie
I have been looking for some 1960's metal chairs to put on the porch. I can't afford the reproductions and the old ones are hard to come by.
My front bed is very shady. Abelia won't grow there. I do have a twist of lime abelia on the side of the house. What I have planted will fill in the bed nicely. It's soft caress mahonia. I also have a gardenia if the cold didn't kill it. Finding good plants for this soil (gumbo clay) in the shade is hard. Right now, I would be happy to have grass! This yard was so bad when we moved in.
December 17, 2013 at 3:34PM     
dstemple1956
Laurie - Might I recommend amending your clay soil with compost? This will lighten the soil and make it more hospitable to plants. There are many shade loving plants that don't mind the clay soil. If you do a bit of research I'm sure you'll find something that catches your eye.
December 17, 2013 at 4:01PM     
chookchook2
Ikea 2012 Easy chair, yellow. Indoor/outdoor. Locksta easy chair with removable cover, orange 702.396.49
December 17, 2013 at 5:22PM   
chookchook2
Ikea PS 2012 plant stand with 3plant pots , white steel, 702.062.53
December 17, 2013 at 5:27PM   
Now that you've settled on your cottage-y blue - I'm a fan of the trim color on the far left. The blue-green is pale enough it reads like a value of white on an exterior, so if you go to the tan, it will subtly clash with the door. But, I might pick my white after I looked at rustoleum spray paint for the metal - see below.

What you are seeing on the trim now is the difference between a straight sky / chambray blue on the trim and the blue-green tone on the door. Wait for the weather so it doesn't drive you nuts - and especially for the metal - if it is too cold it won't receive the color well. I think I would paint my metal posts with rustoleum spray paint for a good finish after a bit of wiping and masking above and below. You might like sherry petersiks excellent spray paint tutorial at http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/08/how-you-like-them-handles/

Next summer, if you like, I think you could intensify the blue - green and still get the muted soft quality you want. This door will fade to near white in about 18 months - color on exterior rule of thumb is to go one shade deeper than you pick with the eye - the expanse and the sun change your perceptions. Templeton gray from bm is the same tone as your entry door but on an exterior, reads more like a mid-tone than a light. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/rooms-by-color/cheerful-yellow-bathroom

Finally - in spring, if you have the patience, old aluminum is pitted naturally so it receives latex paint really well. If you took a sample of templeton to the window frame, you could see how it might resonate against your brick and it is in the same color family as your door so it would perk up the front of the house. It makes the windows and screens look like custom windows for the price of a few hours with a small brush and a sample pot of paint. (without the insulation value sad to say).
December 17, 2013 at 5:53PM     
Laurie
I don't have any metal on my house (except the aluminum windows). The trim work on the porch is all wood. I need to scrape it, fill and repair it. Then I can paint. I used Behr Marquise paint. It is supposed to resist fading. The sun rarely hits my door thanks to the trees and the big porch.

Trim on far left: http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/W-F-510

I am well versed in landscaping here. I amend my soil with peat moss and other things to loosen up the soil. I used to do landscape design many years ago, before I had kids. The landscaping just takes time. When I got done removing the 2 feet deep ground cover, randomly planted yuccas, and dead and volunteer trash trees, there was nothing left except the crape myrtles and large trees. I had a blank slate and $3000 less money. I've spent $2K on bushes, flowers, edging and mulch. I have a patio to redo, grass to plant, quality trees, more curb appeal, etc.... All in due time. :)

Keep in mind it is winter here. I had more greenery on my porch over the summer than I do now. Not much will grow in the shade here over the winter for color. Pansies like sun. I have some violas in the planter but they are still small but doing nicely even though we had that huge ice storm.
December 17, 2013 at 7:42PM     
Roundtree Landscaping, Inc
Laurie - we are in Dallas, so we totally understand the soil situation! We definitely agree that working compost in the soil is a must, but we don't recommend peat moss. The Soft Caress Mahonia is a great choice. Any of the new compact Nandina varieties will work too - 'Obsession' is lovely. They will take blazing sun or shade. Japanese Aralia, Viburnum 'Spring Bouquet', Mock Orange are also great shade options. Turf grass won't thrive in a lot of shade, it's a sun lover. But groundcovers work great in your situation. Have fun!
December 18, 2013 at 8:43AM     
Laurie
I am not too far away from you then. My biggest problem with landscaping is my budget.
Buying an old house may not have been the smartest thing, but is sure beats being homeless!
December 18, 2013 at 8:47AM     
Roundtree Landscaping, Inc
We hear ya! It all takes time. Yes, older house do take a lot of work. But it is always rewarding to see improvements, even one little step at a time!
December 18, 2013 at 8:48AM     
Laurie
@Roundtree Landscaping-what would you charge to plant a 30 gallon Chinquapin Oak?
December 18, 2013 at 2:04PM   
Laurie
Decided to go with Silver Sky for trim color. I'm going to change out my paint this week. http://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/W-F-510
December 18, 2013 at 2:07PM   
Laurie - oaks usually have a better mortality at the deep liner / taproot stage - a 30 gallon is a tough size to get to grow - not big enough to be a transplant like a box but too big to be able to adapt to local conditions. Try putting some deep liner oaks seedlings in and in 5 years they will be 15 gallon size and thriving / 7 years 30 gallon scale - hard to plant 30 gallon oaks and have them live. Maybe if you overexcavate 2x and backfill / make sure your hole drains / plant in fall so roots can establish while there is moisture before the grow - grow seaon starts. . . . if you can baby it thru the first two hot summers with weekly deep watering . . . but risky - most at that size die - tap root means 30 gallon container is really 15 gallon tree. . .
December 19, 2013 at 11:45AM     
mickisue
Laurie, we have nearly the opposite issues here as you do. Extreme heat AND extreme cold, and the land our house is built on used to be part of a large wetland area, so the soil is silty/sandy. When we have a drought--and what part of the country doesn't, these days?--things fade, and when even when it rains for days, the soil is dry again, two or three days later.

Xeriscaping has saved us, and I use a lot of nearly indestructible things, like day lilies and hostas. Not sure if they will work in your much longer stretches of heat, but the mini day lilies by our boulevard deal with the radiated heat from the blacktop in the street, laugh and send out more runners.

For trees and shrubs, I've had a lot of luck, although it definitely requires the long view, with being a member of the National Arbor Day Foundation, and buying from them.

The "trees" are more like whips when they arrive, but they're healthy as can be. They have trees and shrubs to work in most climates and most soils. A set of mixed trailing evergreens I planted at the base of the huge hill in our backyard has now grown completely across the bottom of a 45 foot wide garden--and when they arrived, they were each literally the size of my pinky finger. A sugar maple that was whip-like is now 20 feet tall, and the pin oak that was the same size has been officially declared to be a tree by the birds--they sit in it all day long.
December 19, 2013 at 3:45PM     
chookchook2
Ohhh now I wish I called my daughter Laughing Lilly ! My tubestock trees always grow better and soon catch up with the bigger purchases.
December 19, 2013 at 4:39PM   
chookchook2
Mickisue, keep adding compost!
December 19, 2013 at 4:40PM   
mickisue
We hit the community compost site multiple times a year, chookchook. And make our own. Although there is a pile of frozen, rotten veggies on the deck, waiting for someone to put on high top boots, slog through the snow and toss them in the compositor, where they'll shiver for the next four months.

Just give your daughter a nickname!
December 19, 2013 at 4:52PM     
chookchook2
Thought you might. You'll pass on lovely friable soil to the next owners. She does laugh alot too, but we laugh more, she's funnier than me. It's great to walk the streets with the kids and teach them plant names.
December 19, 2013 at 5:07PM   
Laurie
Did the back door this morning before another cold front hit. The door dried just in time. :)
December 20, 2013 at 12:10PM     
bygeorgi
That looks nice..... btw love your kitchen.
December 20, 2013 at 12:36PM        Thanked by Laurie
auntiebuzzybee
That's sure a pretty colour. Goes well with the ORB. You're a really good painter too, btw. Great job, kiddo!
December 20, 2013 at 11:22PM        Thanked by Laurie
Laurie
Should the trim around the door be painted the same color as the door, or as the trim on the house?
December 24, 2013 at 7:43AM   
Dar Eckert
I think I would paint it the same as the door.
December 25, 2013 at 7:28AM   
jsampson420
Rich deep purple
December 25, 2013 at 7:50AM     
Laurie
I found these free chairs for the porch. They are plastic and need to be painted a color that will go with the house. I want them to pop, but not scream, so as to take away from the door. I will have to look at color choices in Krylon for plastic.
December 26, 2013 at 10:30AM     
They have a warm white - dover white for plastic, but I think I'd order up the brown boots - which will blend in with the brick tone - love the chairs. You could also test the honeydew - if it is different enough from the front door it is a nice soft green complement.
December 27, 2013 at 3:49PM     
Need help choosing a paint color for kitchen - please help!
I am looking repaint my kitchen and keep the cabinetry,...
Need help choosing paint colors for my kitchen! Please help me!
I love the flooring we recently put down throughout...
help!!! single guy needs help choosing paint colors!!!!
all the walls are white..fireplace too.furniture is...
Help! Need help choosing a new exterior paint color
We will be repainting our house. I do not like the...
Help Plz! Need help with choosing white colored paint 4 wall & ceiling
Hello. I would really appreciate some advice. My husband...
Counter stools
Any suggestions on counter stools? I need three and...
Need coloring ideas for entry shelves, staircase, & walls!
We just bought our 1st house! Exciting stuff. Looking...
Bathroom window
We need a window covering of some type on our bathroom...
Front loader washer and dryers or top loading?
I need new ones and want to know which is better?