Great room balance and flow.
dhoy
We just purchased the conversation sofa and swivel chairs for our great room. They are fine for the comfy cozy seating area. However, they are a bit bulkier than our previous sofa and the back is taller with the cushions. I was a little concerned about it when we purchased it. Consequently, the back of the sofa is what you see upon entering the house. Would it help to put a skinny sofa table behind it with a minimalist look or would that just add to the problem? Additionally, suggestions for the size or type of lamp that is currently next to the sofa?
Thank you!
Would you consider turning the sofa to be perpendicular to the FP and face the view with the chairs either opposite it or in the place where the sofa is now?
December 4, 2013 at 7:51am      Thanked by dhoy
dhoy
Thanks! Well, there is a TV and small recliner in that back corner. I have the swivel there so it can be turned to watch TV. I don't think there is another place for the sofa. I probably should have purchased 4 chairs instead of 2 chairs and sofa :(
December 4, 2013 at 8:40am   
Well, you could do it the opposite way and turn the sofa with its back to the window.
December 4, 2013 at 8:48am      Thanked by dhoy
Dar Eckert
Yes a narrow table or bookshelves behind the sofa would look great. Add something on the floor like a large ceramic piece, plant or lantern under or next to the table. Maybe a stool under the table
.the orpin group, interior design
Moraya Bay Living Room
December 4, 2013 at 9:13am        Thanked by dhoy
The curve of your sofa won't allow for such a long streamlined table as Dar suggested. I'd try moving to other arrangements first. Cut the bottoms off plastic milk or juice jugs to create some homemade furniture sliders.
December 4, 2013 at 2:11pm     
dhoy
I really don't want to block the view of the lake.
December 4, 2013 at 2:19pm   
dhoy
I like the table idea , but it would need to be shorter due to the curvature of the sofa and I could set a large vase or plant on the floor as it curves. Also I took the back cushions off and the view was much more streamlined, so I squished and pushed them down and it made a better look in general. Thanks to everyone for all of your help. the pictures helped me through my thought process.
December 4, 2013 at 2:27pm     
happyasaclam
Perhaps rather than keep them squished you could take them to an upholsterer and have them made smaller to fit. :)
December 4, 2013 at 2:43pm   
Design can change as you need .
We have own designer , can Design a unique design for...
Will a narrow tv room work?
We are converting our narrow garage into an extra room....
Another 70's bi-level ranch (box) in need of curb appeal
We're looking for ideas on updating our bi-level ranch...
hardwood floor finishing for the kitchen: oil or polyurethane?
Please give me advice what kind of hardwood floor finish...