Wallpaper over wood frame and plaster wall?
ASVInteriors
December 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ok I know this is a no-no. But I am designing an apartment with doors that go floor to ceiling in horizontal boards. But the door frame will ruin the look. I want to wallpaper to the edge of the frame/door.
A) adding acrylic between the wall and the frame might diminish the chance of the wallpaper splitting yes/no other thoughts?
B) how do I protect the wallpaper edge where the door closes opens.
This is me being stubborn but determined to try and achieve this goal so any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
JudyG Designs
Is this new construction? If so, would pocket doors work?

0 Likes   Thanked by ASVInteriors    December 4, 2013 at 10:41AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
thanks Judy - the doors are flush with the walls, so no pocket doors. this is a picture of the doors, and the doorways. The frames are covered in brown paper as the walls are currently being sanded.
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 10:50AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Bump please. Would appreciate any input. Thanks
0 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 7:33PM
armygirl1987
Just bumping for you because I have no clue.
1 Like   December 4, 2013 at 10:11PM
PRO
OnePlan
You can get plain or decorative acrylic corner protectors - or you can get wooden corner protectors with a small lip (a bit like a hockey stick shape - can't find an image !)
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 3:11AM
PRO
OnePlan
Or a bronzed or copper corner might look better than acrylic ?!?! To match the door hardware maybe ?!?! Acrylic might look a little '70's motel' :-(
1 Like   Thanked by ASVInteriors    December 5, 2013 at 3:15AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Thanks Karen, funnily enough I was thinking of gluing a metal strip between the wallpaper and the door floor to ceiling so that it looks more finished. I bet that wallpaper edge will need replacing in next to no time!

I cannot put in a cornice as it interferes with the closing of the door (which are flush with the walls)

If I finish the wallpaper about 1cm away from the door frame and then stick the metal on, do you think that could work?

Other thought I had was to paint the door frames an off-white the colour of the wallpaper.
Your input, as always, greatly appreciated.
2 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 3:45AM
tsudhonimh
Paint the frames the color of the wallpaper's background and they will almost vanish.

If the paper has a pattern, and the client has the budget, paint the frames to match the entire pattern, or decoupage selected elements of it onto the frames. Overlapping a few tendrils of a floral, for example, will break up the outline of the frame.
1 Like   Thanked by ASVInteriors    December 5, 2013 at 4:12AM
PRO
OnePlan
That's a great idea Tsudhonimh - I think the main problem will be people touching it as they go through the doorways though , so would need to be covered with a cleanable topcoat, which would make it more noticeable again ! What about a 75mm strip of corian (to match the work surface ) either side of each door .... It's easy to clean and could be wide enough to avoid the wall paper being in the 'easily damaged' zone ... ( ie a hands width is this zone I think )
1 Like   Thanked by ASVInteriors    December 5, 2013 at 5:37AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Thank you both for some very encouraging ideas.
So if I were to go the paint route, I paint just the frame of the door facing onto the corridor. I have used Matt varnish in the past, but not on wood does any one know if this would work? Ironically I don't work with wood much!
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 7:00AM
PRO
OnePlan
Might be an idea to tray a sample - as Matt may not be as easy clean as a semi gloss ?!?!
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 8:16AM
PRO
OnePlan
*try !! Not tray !! Autocorrect !!!! Lol ?
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 8:16AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Don't worry Karen, my ipad has a rotten sense of humour most of the time so I knew what you were saying!!! Will talk to the painters on Monday... had to leave a pile of sawdust and plaster as we are in the homerun of plastering and parqueting... and then the plumber broke the installed mirror on the taps as he was tightening them.... :-(
2 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 1:33PM
chookchook2
Gloss paint/varnish on high traffic trim wears the best. Don't forget your original vision.
1 Like   Thanked by ASVInteriors    December 5, 2013 at 1:40PM