Ok so we have the "Tiring trends" and "Design Pet Peeves", well...
Luv Romantic
What about the "Timeless". I would really like to know what is/are considered timeless design/timeless pieces. I keep hearing about it but have never gotten a good understanding of what that is (unless I missed it).

Can anyone give examples of "Timeless" design/pieces? And explain why they are "Timeless" as opposed to "Trendy"?
Brenda
to me a "timeless design" would be room you walked into and couldn't tell when the last major renovation/remodel was done. I think that is EXTREMELY rare -- actually, I'm not sure I've ever experienced that. I recently came across a stack of 20 - 30 year old Architectural Digest magazines in my attic ... even those rooms looked dated to me, and most could be pinpointed to the mid 80's.

there are many classic PIECES that don't go out of style, but 'timeless (interior) design' may just be something we tell ourselves when we're hoping this will be our 'final' remodel.
December 4, 2013 at 11:49am        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Luv Romantic
Ok then give me an example of the timeless "Pieces." We have heard of the "trends", I just want some example of the timeless now.
December 4, 2013 at 11:55am     
Luv Romantic
And tell me what makes that piece a "timeless" piece and not a "trend".
December 4, 2013 at 11:56am     
Carrera marble is classic and still looks fabulous.
December 4, 2013 at 11:57am        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Scandinavian Design Comes to mind because it works with both classic and contemporary spaces, and incorporates furniture and accessories from different eras, and uses white, etc..
December 4, 2013 at 12:00pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Yes, clean line furniture.

December 4, 2013 at 12:03pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
I asked the question on the "pet peeves" thread on what would make a timeless kitchen backsplash. Truly would love ideas on that.
December 4, 2013 at 12:07pm     
Brenda
not "timeless", but "classics" -- a Biedermeier chest ... an Eames lounger ... a Louis Vuitton briefcase ... A Frank Lloyd Wright Utopian house ... a Gibson guitar ... a Coco Channel dress ...

These are all "classics" ... what do they have in common?

unsurpassed quality, attention to detail, originality (in their day) ...
December 4, 2013 at 12:10pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
I know some make fun of my leopard print suggestions but in reality it's been around forever and is classic. It looks great in a "touch" in almost any style.
Kalorama town house
The Pointe on Andesite
Glamorous
Caress by Shaw
December 4, 2013 at 12:26pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
December 4, 2013 at 12:40pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
klf78
Timeless I envision Ralph Lauren and trendy I envision Jonathan Adler. Stripes, saturated paint colors, American flags vs. bold design, geometric patterns and loud colors
December 4, 2013 at 12:57pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
halfpint2
I think antiques in prime condition never lose their appeal. They can be reupholstered and painted to fit into a modern home or any home really.
December 4, 2013 at 1:08pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
2dogssashatess
Yes, I agree that Beidermier furniture ( or much of it) is classic. Some art deco furniture is timeless too,. It is about having clean lines.
December 4, 2013 at 1:21pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
2dogssashatess
I don't think we can make a blanket statement that antiques never lose their appeal. Antiques can be faddish like anything else. Very dark, highly carved, huge pieces of furniture seem to be out., balloon backed cedar dining chairs are out etc.
December 4, 2013 at 1:32pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
Agree with half pint. Good antique chests or chairs are timeless. They can be mixed with any style: traditional, transitional...but especially contemporary! Also LOVE animal prints...as pillows or occasional pieces. Totally timeless. Good quality wool rugs, especially in Oriental style or Arts and Crafts patterns in either neutral tones or reds and blue combos. They always work. Plantation shutters on windows are another timeless design.
December 4, 2013 at 1:33pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Some people hate these floors but I think Saltillo tile and parquet still looks great. And, of course hardwood floors.
December 4, 2013 at 2:03pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Brenda
I agree Darzy -- love all three
December 4, 2013 at 2:08pm     
December 4, 2013 at 2:13pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Luciana
Bookcases and book shelves with 'real' books (not bought by the meter in matching colours). Or just library rooms in general, imagine a high back leather wing chair, brown earthy tones and a glass of cognac... oh and a grandfather clock and a piano (all classics in my opinion).

And if everybody says Eames lounger, what about Wassily chair - I think that's a classic too (I still can't decide between them...)

And don't forget iconic lighting - too lazy to mention who and what, but hopefully you know who and what I mean.
December 4, 2013 at 2:27pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Brenda
I like the look of the Wassily chair, but the Eames is MUCH more comfortable. But agreed -- both are iconic.

lighting ... Nelson bubble lamps ... Tiffany leaded glass lamps ...
December 4, 2013 at 2:33pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Luv Romantic
@Luciana, I don't...I'm slow like that.
December 4, 2013 at 2:53pm     
Leslie Savannah Designs
Timeless to me is any material, such as hardwood floors, that look as beautiful today as they did when they were installed. Hardwood is equally at home in a contemporary, rustic, farmhouse or ultra-modern setting. I also agree with animal prints in small doses, love them...and classic white subway tile. I know a lot of people put this on their "Tired Trends" list, but think about it...It is in the original Biltmore House kitchen and is still relevant today.
December 4, 2013 at 3:16pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Luciana
Oh Luv, I'm not falling for that! I'm seriously too tired to do this now; just pick anything by these guys Achille Castiglioni, Giancarlo Mattiolo, Poul Henningsen, Tiffany, Verner Panton, Vico Magistretti, Wilhelm Wagendield (this was a copy/ paste job - I'm not that clever!) and you are set. Also, most of the stuff Artemide (like Nesso) or Flos (arco) sell. Whatever Karim Rashid dreams at night (I totally adore what that guy comes up with!) or Kundalini.
Probably tomorrow I'd be able to think of more, now I just need my bed. Nite-nite!
December 4, 2013 at 3:26pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Luciana
And, and, Lalique pieces and Galle vases and Daum jades!! That's it, I'm done!
December 4, 2013 at 3:35pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
indianpatti
Timeless is going to mean different things to everyone. IMO, timeless pieces are those which are not trendy or fashionable. They can be very expensive heirlooms such as a Louis X111 sofa or just a quality chair with clean, simple lines. I also think timeless pieces tend to be made of natural materials like wood, silk and granite.
December 4, 2013 at 3:50pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
dclostboy
The original Barcelona chair and anything by Hans Wegner.
December 4, 2013 at 4:15pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Ann
Agreed about hardwood floors. I like real (preferably antique and aged) oriental or prayer rugs like this beauty I was lucky to inherit. I think antique rugs like this are timeless.
December 4, 2013 at 4:25pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Ann
Beautiful crystal barware.
December 4, 2013 at 4:29pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Ann, that rug is gorgeous! I don't often covet, and I'd have no where to put it, but I'd like to just sit on it for awhile.
December 4, 2013 at 4:39pm     
December 4, 2013 at 4:44pm      Thanked by Luv Romantic
MS Colours Inc
This kitchen we did will always be in style. The accumulated room produces a style that stands the test of time.
December 4, 2013 at 5:13pm      Thanked by Luv Romantic
mommickey
Stickley pieces come to mind, henkel harris, henredon, maitland smith, baker etc. But just a breakfront can run about 40,000. Nice pieces if you like traditional. I went through that phase. Going with modern and sticking with it. Ralph lauren I like some of his pieces.
December 4, 2013 at 5:29pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
luvdecorating2
Is my room timeless or trendy?
December 4, 2013 at 5:31pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
MS Colours Inc
One could honestly try some custom made pieces for variety. The hand made pieces offer character that can not be obtained on a massed produced pieces.
December 4, 2013 at 5:43pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
saratogaswizzlestick
I think of decorators that mix a variety of styles like Sister Parrish or a life view like Frank Lloyd Wright who have such a strong aesthetic that it always feels fresh and yet classic.
December 4, 2013 at 5:57pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
@luvdecorating2 your dinette is classic!
December 4, 2013 at 6:03pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
m3459
Timeless are those pieces that you have owned for decades and throughout all the moves from one house to another, you NEVER have trouble finding a place for them.

Mine include my very first "antique" acquired when I was in college and had to put it on layaway to own it. It cost $100 TOTAL!! It is a library table in pristine dark tiger oak. It has been a desk, an entry table and is now my bedside table.
December 4, 2013 at 6:06pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
luvdecorating2
Thank you Darzy!!!
December 4, 2013 at 6:06pm     
solincia
Crown molding, tall baseboards, wainscoting, paneled pocket doors, real hardwood floors, real wood furniture, a good quality davenport in neutral upholstery, white or black wood cabinetry, agree on Herman Miller lounger, Stickley, wassily chairs, adirondack chairs, rolled arm wood English garden benches... Oh the list goes on!
December 4, 2013 at 6:45pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Ann
Thanks Grover. Since the rug is soooo old, the original rust color has faded to pink and since I don't have pink rooms, I had to decorate a kind of zen room around this rug. A great aunt purchased this rug in India in her world travels many, many years ago and it was an antique when she purchased it. Nobody wanted it when she died so my mother-in-law stored it in her basement. I like blue so my MIL gave it to me and it lived in my store room for years. Finally a few years ago, I thought of it, and created a room around it. It's one of my favorite things now after it lived rolled up in store rooms for 50 years or so. I flipped over a part of it so you can see how very much it's faded and what its original color was. I've thought about using it with the back side up, but it's really rough feeling on that side. I know, TMI:) Oh, and the fringe isn't original, my MIL had it added (unfortunately, but I could cut it off).
December 4, 2013 at 7:00pm     
smartin1
Anything that is the opposite of this.
December 4, 2013 at 7:36pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
smartin1
Seriously, I have a kitchen table that I bought when we first got married, 24 years ago. I've had 4 sets of chairs with it, but the table has never looked better.
December 4, 2013 at 7:41pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
J Petempich
I have lived a long time and there isn't anything that is completely timeless. To want change is part of being human.
December 5, 2013 at 4:56am        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Luv Romantic
@smartin1--So funny! Wait is that yours?!
December 5, 2013 at 6:09am   
eightpondfarm
i sell antique Persian rugs.
December 5, 2013 at 6:16am   
apple_pie_order
Well designed furniture goes out of style for forty or fifty years, then reappears as a vintage choice by the more-taste-than-money crowd. After another ten years, it's declared a classic. Nothing looks more dated than an item that was fashionable ten or fifteen years ago. The more fashionable, the more outdated it will look. Stickley, Mission, Danish modern, Hollywood Regency were all things that were sold by their original owners (and their children) at garage sales thirty years ago.

Some current good designs that I think will become classics sooner or later: Louis ghost chairs. Ikea Pong chairs. The simplest wing chair recliners sold as "dad's chair" (not the heavily padded ones with the huge arms). Sofas with tidy, not sprawling, rolled arms will come back in another decade or two.
December 5, 2013 at 6:56am        Thanked by Luv Romantic
eightpondfarm
unique well made pieces are timeless and don't ever look dated. the more exquisitely made, the more distinctive it was within it's age, the more it will span time and trends. here is a rug from my collection. it's unique in it's color and that it was ended without design being finished. it's 3/4s of a rug! closer inspection would show that it's tightly knotted and very square. if anyone is interested in seeing a few of the rugs i have for sale go look in my "carpets" idea book :-)
December 5, 2013 at 7:05am      Thanked by Luv Romantic
Sustainable Dwellings
Vintage Stickley= Timeless.
December 5, 2013 at 7:08am        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
For me what makes a room timeless is proportion. good case peices, chairs etc from any era can be timelss when in good proportion. It does not matter how old or fine an item is if it is not in proprtion.
December 5, 2013 at 7:30am      Thanked by Luv Romantic
eightpondfarm
if you see ....for example... a drum shade EVERYWHERE then steer clear of that look. the more popular, the more trendy, the less likely to survive fashion swings. on hgtv house hunting shows i'm always sooooo annoyed by folks who walk into kitchens and declare it dated and want to get stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. well, THAT is a trend. and that look will date your kitchen. when you are doing what everyone else is doing that look will be passé and will lock in a dated look to your room more than anything else will. don't follow trends and you won't be left behind in a couple of years. set your own style. and choose a few VERY well made things. unique things.
December 5, 2013 at 7:48am        Thanked by Luv Romantic
lvstotrvl
Timeless to me is old oak hardwood floors that have been well taken care of, also white appliances. I know everything is stainless steel today but I remember when everything was Coopertone, Cream or Gold color too. If i'm not mistaken they had an Aqua color too!
December 5, 2013 at 9:39am        Thanked by Luv Romantic
December 10, 2013 at 11:13pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
Lynnie
In other words, furniture or pieces that you could never see going out of style. Some of the 1960's designs actually are very in right now, because they are timeless. Same with certain looks in the 1940's, They are not ultra modern, nor are they ultra antique looking. This site has many looks that you probably would love: http://www.lorts.com/?gclid=CP72keHUp7sCFeN_QgoddRcA2A
December 10, 2013 at 11:39pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
dawnstrazzeri
I bought expensive trendy artwork in the 80s, that now look dated. Inherited my in-laws artwork from the 60s and it looks great!
June 25, 2014 at 12:57pm        Thanked by Luv Romantic
dawnstrazzeri
I agree with eightpondfarm about stainless steel appliances looking dated. However, with the many different colors and designs, and durability of granite, that won't look dated. It's been out there for 25 years and still going strong!
June 25, 2014 at 1:04pm   
Need Help with Family Room
I have a dilemma with what I should do with my family...
need guidance to ehance bedroom
I have clicked pictures from all dimensions need all...
Curb appeal-less
Hate the curb appeal. It would be great to save a...
Wall and Ceiling paint scheme for a new home
Our new home is currently being built. But we are having...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...