Clutter or Cleaner?
December 4, 2013 in Polls
Does every flat surface in your home have something on it? Do you love to use every space for a touch of decor?

OR

Do you like to keep those flat surfaces crisp and clear?

VOTE and share your experience in the comments! (Photos encouraged)
Clutter - YES give me a flat surface and I will decorate it.
Cleaner - I love a mostly empty surface. Bring on the space.
Other - Tell us below!
foreverfarm11
right now I am cluttered and I hate hate hate it. I am moving into a bigger new home and my plan is to get rid oe my clutter and have clean lines, and easy cleaning.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 12:15PM
Brenda
Coco Chanel always said that before you leave the house you should look in the mirror and take off one piece of jewelry ... good advice for home décor as well if you ask me ...
8 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 12:34PM
Michael Lee, Inc
I don't want it to fell empty
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 12:38PM
mousemaker
I hate clutter :) it's in my genes, though :) One nice thing the last few years is that there is a lot less paper clutter, but we still manage to have some stuff out that should be put away.
I am the only one in my house bothered by clutter so it's an uphill fight :)
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 12:50PM
carolannr
Its just me and I do like things less cluttered but think that the empty look is just too cold so a few decorative pcs suffice - a single pc of sculpture, a tray with orchids in a ceramic pot on it, a single collection corralled in a display cabinet.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 12:59PM
yoboseiyo
every flat service is covered, but not for decor use.

we live in our house, so it's a hot mess sometimes.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 1:06PM
I love organized decor clutter;))
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 1:09PM
Luciana
How about both? some places scream for 'stuff', some other don't need much enhancement. (that's if you believe that staircase ledges can scream)
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 1:40PM
happyasaclam
We don't want to be clutter monsters but something comes over us and in a very short time *every place has its thing* :(
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 2:46PM
chookchook2
"Junk expands to fill the space available." " nature abhors a vacuum."
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 2:53PM
hayleydaniels
There's a difference between clutter and decorations, but everyone has their idea of what is enough, and what is too much. It's just like make-up. Some women can't go out the door without spending hours in front of the mirror, and others don't feel the need for it.

Personally, I like enough stuff to give the room a homey feel, but not so much that it's overwhelming. I find the minimalist trend cold and off-putting. I would hate to spend time in such a home as I'd be afraid to sit down lest I distrupted the decor.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 3:01PM
indianpatti
A few decorative items ... but for the most part, I like things cleared off. Much easier to dust and find things as well. I'm one of those "a place for everything & everything in it's place people". Clutter makes me nervous .. LOL!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 3:05PM
printesa
I'm in between,,clutter has a negative connotation and I don't think it's the best choice for describing a decorated flat surface...Some surfaces look best by themselves, some need something. If everything is clean and there is not even a vase or a lamp, it looks like we either moved in and not everything is in, or, we are moving out:)
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 3:06PM
bbarick
My husband and I both grew up with Depression-era parents (meaning they saved EVERYTHING) so while we basically came away with the desire to not be like that, we also have a guilty twinge when getting rid of something. We would like to be minimalist (and are so to an extent) but we would both agree that we probably still have too much stuff...and in a small house that results in more clutter than we would like. Its not easy to maintain, but we prefer a "less is more" attitude.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 3:32PM
Studio NOO Design
In between for me, depending on the room...
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 3:47PM
Marika Fedalen
I always say less is more! It depends on the room, but think about simplifying what you don't need and focusing on what you love!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    December 4, 2013 at 3:50PM
I tend to be a little in between. I like mostly clear surfaces with maybe a couple strategic items.
1 Like   December 4, 2013 at 5:00PM
Studio M Interior Design
I say "curated clutter" is the best policy, but don't overdo it. It's always better to be underdone than overdone in my opinion :)
4 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 5:34PM
m3459
Not too full, not too empty. I like surfaces to be ju-u-u-st right. Of course, I AM married, and everyone knows an empty flat surface or doorknob looks like a great space to keep Stuff to a person with a Y chromosome.
3 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 5:40PM
mommickey
I need at least one item for visual interest. My kids would have a cluttered enviroment if I let them. My husband and I are going for totally clutter free. We are 70 percent done with decluttering the house. If I had it my way my husband and me would order the dumpster to finish. The kids would have it another way. They would keep a fast food toy after a week if you let them. I sneak them into trash by the next day unless it's a book.
1 Like   December 4, 2013 at 5:43PM
armipeg
Clutter makes me worked up, anxious and confused, and I can't stand it when too many things are in my way, especially when I'm cleaning. I like to keep it simple. My philosophy is, "If I don't use it, I don't keep it."
6 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 8:16PM
condomary
I try to only have out decorative items. I want everything else put away, but sometimes a struggle. If there is one item left that doesn't belong or I'm going to put it away "later," next thing I realize is that later has come and gone and now there are several items to put away. @armipeg, I agree.
2 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 8:26PM
armipeg
condomary, I'm with you. When my sons say, "Later". I say, " Later means never." :-)
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 7:21AM
armipeg
5blues, with the kids stuff, been there, done that :-)
2 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 7:26AM
brennamck1944
I find that upon entering a room I will get a certain feeling that will tell me "there is too much stuff in here". My mind will feel cluttered so I take away until my mind is at peace with what belongs and what does not. I find I trade off, some goes in hiding then at a later time I'll bring them out and others will go in hiding. I do this because I love all my "Stuff"
2 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 9:13AM
kroze
I'm afraid I am dreadfully guilty of clutter. I have far too many unusual things which I have collected from around the world. I can't just put them in a closet. They deserve air! : )
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 3:55PM
hatetoshop
For me, clutter equals anxiety. Other than that, I'm relatively normal.
4 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 4:16PM
kroze
That's why you hate to shop!
2 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 4:21PM
jeanie1945
Less is more. But I do enjoy personal and original touches
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 9:13AM
annmarie2
I have a 7 year old. While I like the "white space" of not having too much stuff around, I don't often have a choice!
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 12:35PM
edithsmom
Like others, I like an uncluttered space (not sterile or even minimal), but have yet to achieve that look. An empty coffee table? Never had one...too many books, iPad, Kindle, remotes, fruit (we munch while watching movies in the evening)
1 Like   December 6, 2013 at 6:21PM
mkhodges
I'm in between. Do not like cold looking bare surfaces. I like balanced, well thought out items for decor purposes. However, I do like for the items to reflect the owners personality, not just something purchased to fill a space. Beloved collections and even a stack of magazines are welcome in my home as long as they are neat and planned. Random piles of anything drive me nuts.
2 Likes   December 8, 2013 at 1:31PM
Kitchen backsplash ideas?
I see marble subway tile used on white kitchens in...
mbocquet
Ok it's me again, mforr are you around?
Starting a new project! Building a small house 1350...
marvymare
Should we tile around this modern fireplace or not?
We are adding a fireplace to our 1962 ranch house....
Jennifer Jackson
Rustic Headboard
I have some grey/blue old barn siding - rough sawn...
sethelder530
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...
towanda53