Need help with exterior/ interior paint colors
kygal76
I have completely remodeled my home on the inside but need help with deciding what to do with the outside. The brick is white/red and the shutters are red and front door is tan as well as garage door. I'm wanting to paint shutters and front door and if possible garage door. But can't decide if I should go back to red or try another color. My house gets full sun so the shutters are faded. So not sure if that will play a role in paint choices. Please help, I'm undecided and have tried looking around neighborhoods and the web but can't find brick my color. So I'm hoping you all could help me out.
And on the inside I have a fireplace with same color brick that I love but seems it's blending in. Should I paint the brick or the walls?
This link might help you decide about shutters. A portico would shelter the entry. As for FP and walls, I'd paint walls to match the mortar or the darkest gray in the brick. Can't see the garage door, but imagine it needs some improvement too. http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 9:29AM
yoboseiyo
for the fireplace, paint the walls.

do a contrasting color.
so since the brick is pink/white/red, do a blue or a green.
it'll help the red/pink stand out.
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 10:37AM
kygal76
Thanks so much. Yeah the garage door needs improvement as well. It's the same color beige as the front door.
I never would have thought to paint the walls a grey color but after looking at the brick I do believe a grey would look great. I believe the mortar on the outside brick is like a sand color. So maybe I just need to repaint the front door & garage same color.
Thanks so much for your input. It's greatly appreciated.
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 11:54AM
Sounds like a solution!
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 3:51PM
Gosh, to me your washed brick fireplace fits the traditional / cottage / heritage style I see in your furnishings/the room - a painted fireplace will look a lot more modern. Shifting just the wall tone down might work well in the room - don't paint your interior brick just yet imho.

Outside, this is where I would stain the brick a warm greige - taupe is what they used to call something halfway between brown and gray but now gray is trendy so lots of neutrals go in that direction. Something close to bm antique pewter or squirrel tail http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/antiquepewter

Then, paint only your entry door - leave the trim and garage the same - they will look like a nice classic mid-tone coordinated against the pewter. Paint the shutters a glossy black, and try something unexpected at the front door - a lovely eggplant tone - deep deep raisin color - like bm caponata - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/caponata#ce_s=caponata
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 5:09PM
kygal76
Thanks so much. And love the paint colors. I appreciate all the input. It's really helped me.
0 Likes   December 8, 2013 at 8:02PM
Need help selecting exterior paint and interior paint colors
We are building a colonial-style house and are thinking...
Need help figuring out interior and exterior paint colors.
Is there a special type of Proffesonal that can help...
need opinion with exterior colors and help on interior colors
I have a new rustic texas home under construction....
need help with exterior and interior colors
We are building a home. the exterior has rock, beam...
Need Help For my Bedroom
I want help in choosing a color for my bedroom walls...
Still not quite right
We have painted, and repainted, the Hardie Shake siding...
Bathroom
What SW color is similar to BM Bleeker Beige HC 80?...
Kitchen counters
Trying to find a granite to go with blue pearl. Plan...
Go to it, guys!
Wanting to change the flooring, paint, & update the...