patio ideas
I. Miller
I'm looking for ideas/advice on updating my backyard. As seen in the pictures it's currently Saltillo tile (not a good option with a pool). A couple options I know of are do stamped or stained concrete. What are the pros and cons of those. Not sure if this helps but I'm in S. Cali where temperatures can surpass 120 degrees.
Additionally, any ideas for the dirt area (turf is keeping the dust down) in the second picture?
Thank you in advance!
I think your Saltillo tiles are great! There is a "wet look" sealant you can "paint" over the tile and add an additive to help with the slippery problem. It will make the tile look fresh and new (and a tad darker). We actually did stamp/stained concrete and it's very slippery too! Palm trees in the corners with landscape lighting and beautiful patio furniture in bright orange/teal or blue canvas will look very inviting.
December 4, 2013 at 8:37PM     
okdokegal
I'd love to have your problem!

I agree, there's some stuff you can put on Saltillo to seal them, and the larger triangle is begging for something of a tall umbrella type tree, a palm of moderate height (do know that they can drop fronds and need maintenance to not be a pill) or bamboo and a few shorter plants... and the smaller triangle probably bamboo... add outdoor upwards lighting in both triangle planters; and between the two some sort of woven wood or bamboo lattice and some sort of lantern lights... the idea is after dark and wanting to use the pool and that hottub, lighting it up to look inviting.

Between the other triangle and the steps, that wall is begging for some sort of art. Keeping with the Saltillo, I'd put some southwestern or Mexican type pottery/ceramic/terracotta (could be brightly glazed) on that wall, and a few more bits of light angled onto it for the night... I see you have some wrought iron work there now, it could use more color.

The thin strip is begging for something like a bamboo or some upright thuja and a few smaller flowering plants... again put some lights at the bottom to angle up for night. The round thing is what? A covered firepit? It certainly begs for some kind of firebowl there.

I'd add a pergola to bring that awning all the way across in front of the peak, and mimic the heavy beaming and post one more time; and put lighting all the way along the beam along the outside, some sort of lantern or sconce lights. Then put a few pieces of pool furniture with bright fun colors in the middle area, possibly picking up any other glazed wall/fence art you added; and a few low growing but blooming bushes along in front of where the windows are and back towards where the hottub is.
http://www.lvmwd.com/home/showdocument?id=711 should help you pick some low water needing high temperature dealing non invasive plants. You might also consider some climbers and provide something for them to grow on, for the long skinny section.
December 5, 2013 at 12:14AM     
I. Miller
That's a great website for plants! Thanks!!
I should have mentioned this in the original post (my apologies) but the Saltillo tile was never maintained or sealed by the previous owner. It's starting to chip and splinter around the pool and is a major concern for cutting feet.
December 5, 2013 at 9:06AM   
Custom Home Planning Center
Consider artificial turf. I have started using it for patio over the same back fill as pavers.
12 & 15' wide custom cut to your liking. Talk to the manufacture on glue down to your pavers.
December 5, 2013 at 9:14AM     
I. Miller
Hey CHP. Could you please post some pictures?
December 5, 2013 at 10:53AM   
Custom Home Planning Center
December 5, 2013 at 12:03PM     
TRU Landscape Services
Are you thinking of adding another patio cover for shade? Maybe something free standing would help to create another seating area.
December 5, 2013 at 1:44PM   
TRU Landscape Services
Also, I agree with "okdokegal"on their suggestion to add something tall like Bamboo (or even greater birds of paradise) to the small grass area.
December 5, 2013 at 1:47PM     
I. Miller
TRU, I'm going to be replacing the patio roof. It wasn't built well and is rotten because of it. I'm still looking for help ideas on that.
December 5, 2013 at 2:11PM   
EasyTurf
I. Miller - as CHP mentioned, artificial turf is great for poolside applications. A key element to consider is drainage - check out his short video and let me know if you have any quesions. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofUXLb6VNk
Also, check out our poolside install photos for some ideas you might be able to use.
Cheers!
George

December 6, 2013 at 10:57AM   
Mac Interiors
@I.Miller you have a great foundation to begin building a really serene backyard. I think the two planters are a perfect place to add some flowering aloe plants, like an aloe ferox or capitata. They tend to do well in warmer climates like Southern California. I would recommend a succulent wall garden in between the two planter boxes. I love them, they take very little maintenance and are a great living art piece. The image I'm posting below is just to give you an idea, it's from Waterwise Botanicals http://waterwisebotanicals.com/?p=5548.

For the smaller planters near your home and next to your wall I would add something like salvia santa barbara or dietes bicolor. The coloring of both these plants is just gorgeous, and again low maintenance. I'd also add a few pots near your covered patio area of varying heights and widths in deep reds, turquoise and possibly a small pop of yellow. These could have different palms or other flowering plants to give the area some life.

Ask your local nursery about the flowering plants in your area. I definitely prefer plants that need very little water or maintenance. Lastly, I'd add a few hidden bollards http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/outdoor-lighting/led-outdoor-lights/led-garden-landscape-lights/led-mini-bollard-pmsmled/ or flood lights to accentuate the new floral design in the evening. I'd use LED where you could to make sure energy costs don't increase dramatically.
December 6, 2013 at 12:28PM     
360 Design
We make our product in concrete as well, it would look great on your back porch
December 6, 2013 at 12:40PM   
gail1979
Try a few brightly colored pots with bougainville, bird of paradise, And a palm tree or two.

December 6, 2013 at 7:35PM     
Mac Interiors
Great image @gail1979! With a few well placed pots and plants this backyard could truly be an oasis for you @I.Miller.
December 9, 2013 at 1:55PM     
VizX Design Studios, LLC
I think you would be amazed if you had a designer work up a design for your project. You have so much potential with the walls and the pavement. You can add water features cascading down the walls. You also have enough space for trees or shrubs with up lighting.
December 9, 2013 at 8:03PM     
Cat Rowe
What on earth is that huge white thing?
December 9, 2013 at 8:11PM   
I. Miller
Ha! That is my neighbors canopy for his RV. It was there before I moved in....what can I say?

A few neighbors have the bird of paradise. Very pretty flower! But they said it fries in the summer time, especially with the sun bouncing off the concrete walls. They also mentioned that with any wind at all the leaves split.
December 9, 2013 at 8:22PM   
Cat Rowe
Do you have CC&R's ?
December 9, 2013 at 8:23PM   
I. Miller
Oh...not sure if I stated this before but my patio roof was put up without a permit (previous owner) so it had to be torn down. I'll post a couple pictures and see what some ideas are for a replacement.
December 9, 2013 at 8:23PM   
Cat Rowe
You have a great attitude! Plant non-desiduous trees that have small root systems like Mayden. Some palms will break up your decking. So seek advice from a qualified arborist. Another great tall fast growing screening tree is Silversheen. A landscape designer could help create a good looking trellis along that canopy for some sort of vine. Take your time, work on one area at a time. You can make this a gorgeous space!
December 9, 2013 at 8:31PM     
I. Miller
Here are some pictures of the patio roof removed. It completely opens up the area but feels like there's something missing. Suggestions? Thoughts? Comments?
December 13, 2013 at 10:31AM   
Cat Rowe
I would put up a new patio roof, but not solid. You will still have shade but allows more light into your home. What in the round raised area? Fire pit?
December 15, 2013 at 7:46PM   
existing roofing causing patio cover ideas
need to know how to handle 2 sides of existing roof...
Patio ideas please!
We are planning to build a patio. What are the pros...
Outdoor patios ideas
We took old concrete out and want to install a patio...
Need ideas to decorate patio with low budget
I have always neglected our patio and thought with...
Retro kitchen
I'm trying to figure out the name of some retro colors...
How to get more white trim around our windows.
I'm looking to get more white trim around our windows....
what flooring to use ???
We have a lake home in Tahoe with 3 floors Street...
Need help redesigning living room and Family/Dining Room
Please help suggest improvements this 1960s living...