Kitchen cabinets
cheryltamcheng
December 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have been told that painting my cabinets white or a lighter color will make the whole kitchen seem brighter. However, whenever I see painted cabinets, I think it always looks cheap. Any tips on how to make cabinets light colored without making it look like it was cheaply done? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Depending on the style of the cabinet and the material, a professional paint job will look very high end. On the other hand, putting lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig...just has a nice coat of make up.
3 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 9:54PM
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed with having a professional do the paint job, nothing worse than seeing brush strokes and uneven coating.

0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 5:52AM
PRO
MS Colours Inc
Have them hand finished by an artisan painter.
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 5:57AM
soberg
Well-painted cabinets surrounded by marble, stainless steel, wood floors, and gorgeous lighting, all beautifully designed, will look fantastic.

Poorly painted cabinets often end up accessorized with crummy counters and sleazy linoleum floors all in a cramped, cluttered, dark plan so maybe that's what you're thinking of. Also, hideous door styles (like huge elaborate arches and medallions) stay hideous regardless of color. Can't blame the paint for that.
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 6:18AM
Holly C.
If you are not able to afford a professional painter, try practicing on a similar material first. Also, upgrading your cabinet hardware will help amp up the wow factor.
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 6:24AM
Curt D'Onofrio
Are the cabinets solid wood (stained or factory painted), or are they laminated ? Agreeing with Holly C. But If a similar material cannot be found then try experimenting with the inside of the cabinet doors if they are made of same material as the outside...when doors are closed, your idea(s), good or bad won't be seen
0 Likes   December 5, 2013 at 7:01AM
PRO
OnePlan
There's a thread in here called 'Brady bunch green kitchen worktops ' - it's totally inspirational ! Looks a right pig to start with - tarted up well though ! Found this pic just for you Ironwood ! :-)
3 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 12:56AM
Curt D'Onofrio
Ah! Still looks a pig. Wrong shade of lipstick. Thinking yellow....wait...second thought, nothings going to work here
2 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 1:58AM