New Kitchen, from Hell to Heaven
Kevin Strader
December 5, 2013 in Before & After
Total remodel. Demolished: Old site built cabinets, laminate flooring, drywall on exterior walls (so we could insulate), soffit over cabinets. Donated (to Habitat Restore) countertops, sink, faucet, microwave, toaster oven, dishwasher, counter stools & all cabinet hardware and hinges.
Installed 18” x 18” porcelain tile in staggered pattern (Traffic Master, Harbour View); Upper walls painted with Sherwin Williams (color matched to Valspar Cincinnatian Hotel Hannaford, Historic Paint Collection); Lower wall painted Sherwin Williams (Foothills); Maple cabinets stained Chestnut with a chocolate glaze; Backsplash 12” x 12” American Olean Chateau Emperador Ceramic Mosaic (cream, taupe, dark brown glass tiles with brown granite); countertop is Colonial Gold granite; Stainless Steel double bowl under mount sink; Moen Whetherly Mediterranean Bronze faucet; Stainless steel range hood; Jamison Collection Oil Rubbed Bronze knobs (on doors) and pulls (on drawers).
Island with new microwave along with Wynter Wine Refrigerator. New French door Samsung refrigerator, new Samsung dishwasher. Whirlpool stainless steel electric oven with glass cook top. All outlets and switches in back splash & island are brown with Oil Rubbed Bronze plates. Satin black bun feet on pantry wall and sink base. Satin black corbels on island.
New Liberty Furniture Abbey Court Collection rectangular table with X back chairs. Table is cherry top with distressed satin black skirt and legs. Chairs are distressed satin black with taupe chenille fabric on the seats. Antique oak Hoosier cabinet will go back into space.
Removed and relocated recessed can lights. Added 3 pendant lights over island (Golden Lighting mini pendant) and light over table (Golden Lighting) to match pendant lights. Halogen puck lighting under upper cabinets and in glass front cabinet.
ducks43
Love that you used wooden cabinets. Looks so lovely and rich.
December 5, 2013 at 6:17pm        Thanked by Kevin Strader
Ed
Hi Kevin, Congrats on your kitchen renovation ! Plus very detailed itemized report ! :)
December 5, 2013 at 6:27pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
condomary
Fantastic ! Love the black chairs.
December 5, 2013 at 6:41pm        Thanked by Kevin Strader
Judiwithani
Beautiful. Nice touches with paint and tile and under cabinet lighting.
December 5, 2013 at 6:58pm        Thanked by Kevin Strader
jennstieglitz
Did you hire an interior designer to figure out the layout of the new kitchen?
December 5, 2013 at 8:41pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
lyrics1967
Just curious. Is that the front door close to the fridge?
December 5, 2013 at 8:44pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Stamps Design Services
Lovely!
December 5, 2013 at 8:46pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
DMH DESIGN
Nice work on the taller uppers and the crown. Like the u/c lighting too. Details do matter.
December 5, 2013 at 9:01pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
nancycronk
Beautiful.
December 5, 2013 at 9:13pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
gogoellen
Wow! It's really a beautiful improvement!
December 5, 2013 at 9:20pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Connie Bundy
Love the cabinet doors!
December 5, 2013 at 9:23pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
susanm99
Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! Wow what a difference!
December 5, 2013 at 9:57pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Patti Samuelson
I love the use of three different lighting systems. Come do my house Please!
December 5, 2013 at 11:39pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
smugsy1122
Love the "hiding" of the microwave in an island. What a good use of space rather than just allowing it to be clutter.
December 6, 2013 at 3:44am      Thanked by Kevin Strader
swgarrett
Very nice....and I too like that you have wood cabinets. I love the new "painted" look of everything but I still love wood!
December 6, 2013 at 3:57am        Thanked by Kevin Strader
Kevin Strader
@lyrics1967. No that is the side door. You come in the front door and if you take an immediate left that takes you to the kitchen (which is the point of view of pictures 1, 2 & 4. To the right of that door is a pocket door that leads to the dining/living room. It's just a slab door which we rarely if ever close, but I would still like to put in a wood/glass door like the one shown below.

We really love the look but even more so the better functionality of the space.
December 6, 2013 at 8:30am   
Kevin Strader
@Patti. I switched the bulbs in the can lights from CFL's to LED's which are instantly bright and also in the pendants from incandescent to LED (which cut down on the amount of heat over the island.

Where do you live? I would love to come do your kitchen.
December 6, 2013 at 8:33am   
Kevin Strader
@ ducks43: We looked at painted cabinets but when we saw these the style, finish, etc. sold us.
@Ed. Thanks. I tried to put as much information in as I could.
@condomary: Well they say every room needs a touch of black. We wanted a new table and chairs and with the black bun feet and corbels it coordinated both spaces better.
@jennstieglitz: No we didn't hire an interior designer. I had pretty much figured out the layout but we consulted with a kitchen designer and she came up with the idea of the "pantry wall". Other than that it was pretty much my design. One of my degrees is in Architectural Design and I took some interior design classes as part of that so I wasn't a complete neophyte.
@DMH: I agree about the details. The ORB outlet covers were a big concern for us. We bought them, took them back (went with almond) then took those back and got the ORB again. We took time looking at everything (grout color, paint colors, to make sure that everything ended up with a cohesive look.
@Eskandari Stone: Thanks. And it only took us three trips to the granite yard to come up with it. We originally looked at Venetian Gold and when we got to the yard the first time we changed our minds and were thinking Cashmere Gold, but then we decided that it didn't have enough movement so we switched back to Venetian. When we went to the yard to pick out our slabs we noticed the Venetian Gold looked nothing like what the sample did so we picked out Juperana Persa. Our contractor asked if we realized that it was about twice the price of what he had put in his bid, so . . . back to the yard where we found the Colonial Gold. Once installed we realized that as far as we're concerned, we hit a home run with the Colonial Gold. Our contractor gave us a protector cleaner that he said he uses on the granite in his house.
@susanm99: That's an understatement. The old cabinets looked OK (on the surface) but were in horrible shape. They really needed to be replaced when we moved in (12 years ago) but we waited and saved til we could do it right.
@smugsy122: Hated the microwave above the stove because it was always greasy. I thought the island microwave area was going to be just an open space but when the contractor put it in I saw a couple of extra doors and figured out that they came from where the microwave was, so I picked up a screwdriver and installed them and the wife said she liked it so we told the contractor to leave them on. I'm really glad we did. We just use the microwave for popcorn, reheating coffee, etc. so it's no big deal to open the doors to get to the microwave, plus I think it makes for a much more finished look.

One Note: The pantry wall started out as 24" deep cabinets (other than the glass front one) but we were concerned about having a sufficient traffic aisle between it and the island so we had them cut down to 16". We put everything and then some in the new pantry and still have space for more.

Thanks for the comments.
December 6, 2013 at 8:59am     
Kevin Strader
judiwithani: The beige and the taupe wall colors were picked to coordinate with those two colors in the backsplash. The bronzy (I know it's not a real word) tile in the backsplash coordinates with the ORB hardware, lighting & switch covers and while we didn't plan it, the rust colors in the countertops make the granite tiles in the backsplash "POP".
December 6, 2013 at 9:04am   
Kevin Strader
@Eskandari Thanks. We wanted something with movement but not a lot of flow. There are so many different granites out there that it gets really confusing. Luckily for us our final two were side by side in the yard so we could stand back and see them both at the same time. We have some sealant protector, but do you know of a web site we could go to that gives us information on how to best protect our investment.
December 9, 2013 at 5:35am     
Creative Atmospheres
Beautiful...Congratulations on your kitchen remodel. Good choice with the kitchen countertops. Its look awesome.
December 9, 2013 at 9:34pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Kevin Strader
Thanks Creative. We find ourselves just standing in the kitchen saying we can't believe that this is actually our kitchen.
December 11, 2013 at 8:42am   
Michael Lee, Inc
Very nice transformation - really opens up the space well.
December 11, 2013 at 11:33am      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Pure Home
Very beautiful, open, and classic design!
December 11, 2013 at 1:04pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Kevin Strader
Thanks. We didn't add a single square inch to the space but with the island and the ability to move all around it the space just seems larger.
December 11, 2013 at 1:17pm   
54arbutus
Hi Kevin, love the change. My kitchen has a similar layout. What is the dimension between the wall with the kitchen sink to the wall with the brick work? Thanks!
December 31, 2013 at 9:58am      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Kevin Strader
@54arbutus The entire room is approximately 13' x 26', so the dimension from the front (sink wall) to the back (fireplace wall) is 13'. With the 16" depth of the pantry and the fireplace brick the final depth is approximately 11.5'. We were really concerned with the aisles between the island and the surrounding cabinets. We ended up with 34" (counter to counter) between the front wall cabinets and the island. I know that is less than what most designers recommend but it works for us. Two people can pass each other easily. When the DW door is open there is not a lot of room but you always load from the side so that's not a problem. There's approximately 45" between the bump up counter on the island and the pantry which is plenty for traffic movement, even with people on the stools. We had some stools with backs but we thought they made the space look more crowded so we took them back and got some backless saddle style stools that you really don't even see when they are pushed up under the counter.
December 31, 2013 at 12:48pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
Quite a transformation. Your kitchen has a warm, welcoming feel and it also feels cohesive and put together.
December 31, 2013 at 12:56pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Studio NOO Design
Very warm atmosphere now with the wood cabinets, beautiful result !
December 31, 2013 at 2:44pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
ginale
Beautiful! I love it! Great job!
December 31, 2013 at 8:27pm      Thanked by Kevin Strader
Kevin Strader
Thanks everybody. We had 20 people here for Christmas Eve and the new layout worked great. Twelve people standing around the island munching on goodies and nobody was crowded. It was wonderful.
January 1, 2014 at 11:46am   
New kitchen, from Hell to Heaven
Total remodel. Demolished: Old site built cabinets,...
Kitchen from Hell becoming Kitchen from Heaven
We moved into the house in 2001 it had teal cabinets,...
Kitchen From Hell In Need Of Some Good Advice
I just bought my first home and everything is a mess....
A kitchen would be Heaven!
Need a kitchen!!! Have cabinets that are not hung (after...
How do i turn this landscape from the underworld to a piece of heaven?
Our first spring in this house and I don't like what's...
I need help with this room!
We are moving to this rental . Im putting a tv above...
Bedroom makeover help needed
This bedroom needs a complete overhaul. (for sale pics)...
Help! What rug would work with my patterned curtains?!
Hello! I'm decorating my bedroom and I need to find...
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Round Foyer--Please Help! :)
The foyer in our home-to-be is round. The flooring,...